• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Civil question? Why is it movies nowadays can't use more practical effects today or a mixture of both as the original Jurassic Park did? Helps it seem more real that way.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
TV and film are two different mediums
People also say animation is a medium, so mathematically, animated films are medium mediums while animated TV shows are also medium mediums...or maybe that's not how it's meant to be at al-
my brain hurts

(To be honest I never really got bothered about the "is animation a genre or a medium?" debate. I just like to think "ANIMATION IS ANIMATION!")

Shroob

Sup?
So uh

Anyone know any way I could get myself a set of Cap Pikas? They're the only thing I'm missing, barring mythicals. :nifty:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Civil question? Why is it movies nowadays can't use more practical effects today or a mixture of both as the original Jurassic Park did? Helps it seem more real that way.
I'm no expert but I'd guess that it's because you need to hire an extra department for it and that increases the cost

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
According to my friend who already watched the film it's really stupid and not worth supporting WBD over
ngl I can’t think of an opinion of it due to constantly comparing it to the last 3 Spider-Man movies (including Morbius cause Spider-Verse), The Batman, and the fact that the DCEU is pretty much dead (since idk if Aquaman and Blue Beetle take place in the SnyderVerse or the DCU timeline)
But Jondolio, Tom Cruise from hit movie The Mummy said It is the best superhero movie ever even though he hasn't acted, directed or written any of them (as far as I know).

That means It is high cinema.
I ain’t even realize he was never in one until now…unless he counts Mission Impossible
This might be the worst CGI I've seen in my life.
I’ve seen worse for superheroes…tho they’re mostly fro Fant4stic and Catwoman (and Morbius)…and the BayTurtles

D

Deleted member

So uh

Anyone know any way I could get myself a set of Cap Pikas? They're the only thing I'm missing, barring mythicals. :nifty:
I got all of them in the Serebii Discord server, on the trades Channel, had to give my second Koraidon but It was worth It.

Imo, It is a good idea to go there and try to offer a really good mon or shiny for them.

Shroob

Sup?
I got all of them in the Serebii Discord server, on the trades Channel, had to give my second Koraidon but It was worth It.

Imo, It is a good idea to go there and try to offer a really good mon or shiny for them.
Sadly can't give up my 2nd Koraidon.

I do have a collection of shiny Paradox Mons in Apricorn balls, but that'd be a hard sell.....

Shroob

Sup?
Of course...

I don't understand what makes today so different from back then.
Ya don't?

Work smarter, not harder.

Practical effects are always nice, but they take more work and manpower than CGI to make. Why do that when you can make CGI in a quarter of the time it'd take to make effects, props, sets etc.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
How is Kingdom Hearts (a franchise featuring Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters, albeit separated by the plot) more "normal" than a cartoon Hedgehog in a world full of hu-oh wait, Sonic X exists. Bad comparison, i retired from what i said.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Of course...

I don't understand what makes today so different from back then.
Technology advancement. CGI used to be so bad that it wasn't really a viable option as far as effects go, but it got better as time went on is also cheaper than practical effects. I personally don't really like most CGI heavy stuff, might as well just make it animated at this point, but I can totally see why they choose to use it for big blockbusters these days

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
  • 3rd year graduation is coming up, and the game is set in the winter...those blonde dumbasses are actually gonna get past High School
  • The new character is named Elle (El for short), and is not a persona user like Sophia is
  • Possible that more new characters will arrive (idk if this counts the dlc or not)
  • Music will pretty much be Lyn and guitars so yay more Lyn
  • Teams consists of 3 PTs and El (Joker can be benched)
  • The character portraits are gonna stay expressive as hell
now...I just need the game to showcase Brojiro and Sae to confirm whether they're alright or not

osby

Smash Obsessed
How is Kingdom Hearts (a franchise featuring Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters, albeit separated by the plot) more "normal" than a cartoon Hedgehog in a world full of hu-oh wait, Sonic X exists. Bad comparison, i retired from what i said.
Sonic canon takes place in a world full of humans, that much is confirmed. It's just you don't see them that much aside from Adventure-Unleashed era of games (excluding Eggman).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
and holy **** Jondolio Jondolio

I’ve been seeing Anya smiling wholesome in your pfp for months now due to being on the site via phone…and then I realized I was dead ass wrong the moment I decided to use the site on an actual computer. Now I can’t unsee reality

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
When it's within the budget, I tend to find that a blend of practical effects and CGI effects yields the best results, but it also depends on just what kind of special effects you're trying to achieve in the first place.

Certain things look better with good practical effects, but there are other things that really can't be achieved effectively without CGI.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Sonic canon takes place in a world full of humans, that much is confirmed. It's just you don't see them that much aside from Adventure-Unleashed era of games (excluding Eggman).
And then, there is ZERO point of comparison between Sonic Man from the 2006 game, with Bayonetta (who wasn't even in those games. PxZ, not Sonic '06)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ya don't?

Work smarter, not harder.

Practical effects are always nice, but they take more work and manpower than CGI to make. Why do that when you can make CGI in a quarter of the time it'd take to make effects, props, sets etc.
Technology advancement. CGI used to be so bad that it wasn't really a viable option as far as effects go, but it got better as time went on is also cheaper than practical effects. I personally don't really like most CGI heavy stuff, might as well just make it animated at this point, but I can totally see why they choose to use it for big blockbusters these days
Fair enough and regarding the bad CGI we've been seeing lately. Not the filmmakers fault since they're being forced in horrible conditions it seems. Hope the best for them that this eventually change.

In terms of CGI-wise nowadays. Jurassic World and MonsterVerse definitely nail it with the realism. And no this ain't me being bias.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We're probably closer to the next Smash game than we are to Ultimate's reveal.

In a year or two Nintendo will drop their next console. And you know they're gonna want a new Smash on it ASAP.

The passage of time is bull**** :239:
I'm still not ready for half the roster to be gone...

Should've just kept porting Ultimate and updating it.

Top Bottom