• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I remember being weirdly obsessed with Skylanders during the Wii U era and when I finally got my hands on one of the games not only was it mid, but it also cost me so much money I will never get back because who in their right mind would want a Skylanders game these days, let alone a Wii U Skylanders game

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Skylanders? I loved those games as a kid.

My favourites were the first one and Imaginators. Playing as Kaos in the latter was awesome.
My first game was Spyro's Adventure, then Swap Force, next Trap Team, Superchargers, and lastly Imaginators.
(Finished Swap, Charger, and Imagine, got pretty far in Spyro and Trap but couldn't finish the last levels)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As someone who hasn't seen Hocus Pocus 1 and has Hocus Pocus 2 on their list of 5 worst movies of 2022, idk how to feel about this LEGO set.

The House looks awesome doh.

D

Deleted member

Hot take, but I think that Crash's design in Skylanders Imaginators is overhated.

I like the inspiration from the original Naughty Dog concept art, and for a game about toys coming to life the design does fit well enough. Cortex also looks amazing.

Spyro doh... While his design improves a bit in the later games, It does still feel odd.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
You know what's wild?

Spyro is a game series I've loved since I was just a little gal. Year of the Dragon was the first game I ever played. The classic games, Hero's Tail, and even Enter the Dragonfly and Shadow Legacy molded my youth. Love them to pieces.

Yet, unlike several Spyro fans, I actually didn't mind him being in Skylanders at all when that game series first made the rounds. I even quite liked his design. (And as a Crash fan you know I ate it up when he got in the games.)

If anything I dislike Legend of Spyro way more. Weaksauce God of War clones...and Skylanders also managed to make Cynder actually interesting so that's a big plus

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Looks like we're getting another Paw Patrol movie.

No sign of Everest and Tracker, also my man Marshall becoming a firebender.
Animation is cinema

D

Deleted member

Tbh I wouldn't mind these sentiments if they weren't using movies made for 7 year olds as their arguments
Or the Mario movie
I find It funny because as MightyP said people like to use the "animation is cinema" argument with Across/Into The Spider-Verse as an example of It, and those movies are indeed rated for 7 years old or higher in my country.

Idk, for some reason that made me smile a bit 😅

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I find It funny because as MightyP said people like to use the "animation is cinema" argument with Across/Into The Spider-Verse as an example of It, and those movies are indeed rated for 7 years old or higher in my country.

Idk, for some reason that made me smile a bit 😅
I honestly just find it annoying that milquetoast animated movies with okay animation, passable scripts and lame jokes are put in the same tier as genuine masterpieces like Spider-Verse. That is almost as bad as saying "animation is for BABIES" and is essentially the equivalent of comparing Ant-Man and the Wasp to Citizen Kane

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
That's a movie made for literal 7 year olds

(Or figurative 7 year olds, that too)
Nonsense, 7 year olds will never be able to comprehend the deep character writing that is giving a big ape daddy issues

Honestly I don't care what people call cinema, its just a fancy word for movie snobs anyway.

Imma keep calling them cartoons.

D

Deleted member

I honestly just find it annoying that milquetoast animated movies with okay animation, passable scripts and lame jokes are put in the same tier as genuine masterpieces like Spider-Verse. That is almost as bad as saying "animation is for BABIES" and is essentially the equivalent of comparing Ant-Man and the Wasp to Citizen Kane
Nonsense, 7 year olds will never be able to comprehend the deep character writing that is giving a big ape daddy issues

Honestly I don't care what people call cinema, its just a fancy word for movie snobs anyway.

Imma keep calling them cartoons.
Yeah, I do agree with both of you.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong if you like stuff aimed at younger audiences. I mean look at me for example, I am a fan of a franchise based solely on promoting action figures and toys which change form.

But yeah, people should really know what truly is an artsy or thoughtful movie rather than calling every animated or action blockbuster released "high cinema".

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Depending on my mood sometimes I actually like art that is dumb, mindless fun more then stuff that makes me contemplate existence. Sometimes I watch movies (or play video games) just to shut off my brain and have a good time. I think that's still art and there should always be a place for it.

And even if a movie is actually really bad, I still think bad art still deserves to be called art.

That said, Mario fans saying "animation is cinema" definitely gives off big
vibes.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Depending on my mood sometimes I actually like art that is dumb, mindless fun more then stuff that makes me contemplate existence. Sometimes I watch movies (or play video games) just to shut off my brain and have a good time. I think that's still art and there should always be a place for it.

And even if a movie is actually really bad, I still think bad art still deserves to be called art.

That said, Mario fans saying "animation is cinema" definitely gives off big
vibes.
If it makes me feel an emotion, it's art.

Not all art is good but it's art.

D

Deleted member

Also, just in case some people feel bothered or left out, there's nothing wrong if you liked the Mario movie. I personally had a blast with It and I really would have loved to see It as a kid with my cousins, back when we played the Wii and NDS all day with games such as Mario Slam Basketball, DK Jungle Climber or Mario vs Donkey Kong 2.

But yeah, It is a movie marketed mostly at kids and families, It doesn't have any powerful thing to say or wants to reinvent the wheel like Spider-Verse or Pinocchio... It's just a fun little animated blockbuster for kids to enjoy with their parents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I do think the Mario movie deserves to be called art. It's not a high art, there's very little need for engagement on the part of the audience, but it's harmless fun and I would probably show it to my future kids to get them to play the games.

I just don't think it should be compared to something like Spider-Verse that my dad, who is sick of superhero stuff and needs some convincing to watch animation, enjoys.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I do think the Mario movie deserves to be called art. It's not a high art, there's very little need for engagement on the part of the audience, but it's harmless fun and I would probably show it to my future kids to get them to play the games.

I just don't think it should be compared to something like Spider-Verse that my dad, who is sick of superhero stuff and needs some convincing to watch animation, enjoys.
Your right, it's actually on the level of Spirited Away

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm ashamed to admit that Spirited Away was the only Studio Ghibli film I've seen, and it was at a point in my life where I really didn't appreciate animation the way I do now.

One of these days I'll give a bunch of Ghibli films a good binge. Princess Monoke and Castle in the Sky are near the top of the list of movies I want to see. My sisters are really into Howl's Moving Castle but they've really struggled to sell me on it, but that probably says more about them then the film itself.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Spirited Away is good but it's not as good as the movie I made with your mom. We made your dad watch so that he could make the storyboards
That's funny, because after seeing the movie eith your your mom and I decided to make one by ourselves. Your dad sat and held the camera, that's all he could do.
You fell off + ratio

D

Deleted member

I'm not just on the "media made primarily for children can be good art" team but also on the "please for the love of everything sacred, watch some media that intellectually challenges you every once in a while if you're an adult" team.
Yeah, that is a really proper mindset to have osby.

I would also add that you should also go beyond movies which marketing refers to as "adult flicks". Your Bullet Trains or John Wicks for example.

They aren't necessarily bad, but as you refered to they also don't really challenge your mindset that much, they tend to be these big blockbusters made to have a really fun or slightly intense time in the case of John Wick for example.

Basically, we should be able to see the difference between an Everything, Everywhere All At Once or a 2001:A Space Odyssey and your Deadpools or Predator.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm ashamed to admit that Spirited Away was the only Studio Ghibli film I've seen, and it was at a point in my life where I really didn't appreciate animation the way I do now.

One of these days I'll give a bunch of Ghibli films a good binge. Princess Monoke and Castle in the Sky are near the top of the list of movies I want to see. My sisters are really into Howl's Moving Castle but they've really struggled to sell me on it, but that probably says more about them then the film itself.
Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my all-time favorite movies*, I'd recommend it if you're looking for one of their more slice-of-life films.

(Well, so is Only Yesterday but apparently, I'm one of the five people who liked it.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not just on the "media made primarily for children can be good art" team but also on the "please for the love of everything sacred, watch some media that intellectually challenges you every once in a while if you're an adult" team.
You've seen how grown ass adults react to **** like Catra being allowed to have growth, you think these cretins can handle fiction where characters don't have to purehearted idols? They would ****ing throw up seeing grimdark stuff like Chicago

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I still need to watch some more Ghibli Movies (only seen Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away so far) but since I'm gonna start studying animation next year I also want to watch stuff that isn't from Japan or America. Problem is I genuinely don't know where to start

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If we got an Okami game I might give that a try too at some point. Always thought the series looks pretty cool, but never got around to trying it.
If you have a switch, the HD version is on 4here. Its also On PS3 ,PS4, steam and XboxOne

Spirited away is my to ghibli film. Saw it as a kid on toonami once and loved it.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, that is a really proper mindset to have osby.

I would also add that you should also go beyond movies which marketing refers to as "adult flicks". Your Bullet Trains or John Wicks for example.

They aren't necessarily bad, but as you refered to they also don't really challenge your mindset that much, they tend to be these big blockbusters made to have a really fun or slightly intense time in the case of John Wick for example.

Basically, we should be able to see the difference between an Everything, Everywhere All At Once or a 2001:A Space Odyssey and your Deadpools or Predator.
Yeah, "adult" doesn't always mean "mature". And even when you're watching blockbusters, it doesn't hurt to be a bit critical of it, imo.

Instructions unclear, binged all six seasons of Rick and Morty instead
Oh, that show is so smart! I know it because every single episode keeps telling you how smart it is!

D

Deleted member

I also wanna share a trick I learnt at college during my cinema classes.

If you want to difference an artsy movie from a blockbuster, always try to be on the look out for how the camera and the sounds are projecting to the audience.

In my case we used as a point of comparison two movies: Jaws and a movie about life in the streets of France.
In Jaws the camera tends to have very Hollywood-esque shots: the zoom into the protagonist's face when something shocking happens, the dramatic music starts when the danger arrives and so on.

With the french movie doh, we got a scene of a Guy being a creep and insulting a woman on a train. There's no sound or camera changes besides the train moving and the guy's words, and you are left looking at the whole scene as if you were another passenger on the train looking from far. Basically: the movie is trying to have something meaningful to say.

So yeah, always think on what they are showing you when you watch a movie, even a single scene change can tell you about the purpose of each movie.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I still need to watch some more Ghibli Movies (only seen Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away so far) but since I'm gonna start studying animation next year I also want to watch stuff that isn't from Japan or America. Problem is I genuinely don't know where to start
Code Lyoko, obviously.

(Okay serious answer: Persepolis, A Cat in Paris, and Fantastic Planet are all worth checking out -France makes some amazing animated movies)

Last edited:
Top Bottom