• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Just beat the main story in Tears of the Kingdom. Dang that was a good finale.

Link reaching for Zelda's hand at the end...man, I'm a sucker for call backs like that. It actually got me all emotional.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On Godzilla, I just expect a movie to have the titular character be the main focal point. I really do not care for anything else except seeing the main character do ****.
Then there isn't a plot or story. Human characters are required. You really expect a film to just be kaijus on-screen the whole time?

The key is making them likable, characters you can relate to and such.

Shroob

Sup?
Then there isn't a plot or story. Human characters are required. You really expect a film to just be kaijus on-screen the whole time?

The key is making them likable, characters you can relate to and such.
Visual storytelling exists.

There are plenty of movies with little to no spoken dialogue out there.

Frankly, yes, I'd love to watch a movie which mainly focuses on the kaijus then the boring ass human characters. I want to see **** get blown up and crushed when I'm watching a giant monster movie, not partake in the daily life and family affairs of generic armyman #1234

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Visual storytelling exists.

There are plenty of movies with little to no spoken dialogue out there.

Frankly, yes, I'd love to watch a movie which mainly focuses on the kaijus then the boring ass human characters. I want to see **** get blown up and crushed when I'm watching a giant monster movie, not partake in the daily life and family affairs of generic armyman #1234
I have a feeling you are being sarcastic on the last part, which I agree with the sarcasm. I could be wrong on the sarcasm part though.

I mean, it is no fun if the movie is being focused on one character, let alone one big *** creature known as Godzilla destroying things, as there won't be much meat to the movie. There has to be some character interaction, which can be done without actual voice communicating.

My point is, things get dull if you focus on one thing or character like Godzilla all or most of the time and not have some "human" moments here and there with other characters. If you focus on just one thing, it gets boring. That is to say, that probably does not make Godzilla 2014 a good movie, given that there is little balance between the humans and Godzilla showing up, but yeah, there has to be some balancing out in things.

Just saying here.

Shroob

Sup?
I have a feeling you are being sarcastic on the last part, which I agree with the sarcasm. I could be wrong on the sarcasm part though.

I mean, it is no fun if the movie is being focused on one character, let alone one big *** creature known as Godzilla destroying things, as there won't be much meat to the movie. There has to be some character interaction, which can be done without actual voice communicating.

My point is, things get dull if you focus on one thing or character like Godzilla all or most of the time and not have some "human" moments here and there with other characters. If you focus on just one thing, it gets boring. That is to say, that probably does not make Godzilla 2014 a good movie, given that there is little balance between the humans and Godzilla showing up, but yeah, there has to be some balancing out in things.

Just saying here.
I mean, I'm not being sarcastic.

Sometimes, you just wanna turn your brain off and enjoy a good bit of carnage and chaos, plot be damned. Big monster destroying city equals big dopamine hit.

It's kinda like in horror movies. You really don't give a damn about the main cast, you wanna see how the killer's going to kill them off in creative and over the top ways.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Sometimes, you just wanna turn your brain off and enjoy a good bit of carnage and chaos, plot be damned. Big monster destroying city equals big dopamine hit.

It's kinda like in horror movies. You really don't give a damn about the main cast, you wanna see how the killer's going to kill them off in creative and over the top ways.
I figured. Still, my point about balance, I believe stands. If it is done well, it could make a better story than either the actions scenes or human interaction can do on their own.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, you don't go into a giant monster movie expecting "PEAK" cinema, you go in it because you want to see the giant monster, the humans are secondary characters IMO. Or at least, they should be. When the humans get more screentime than the movie's supposed main focus, you have a problem.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tbh the Sonic movies have the exact same problem with the Godzilla movies, only thing is he actually has more than 5 minutes if screentime
Wanna know another example of an imbalanced movie? TMNT, the first of two live action films (the other being Out of the Shadows). The first was considered by some people as April O'Neal meets the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

About Jurassic Park, though, not saying you are bad for your previous thought, but how many people would actually enjoy just dinosaurs causing havoc in a dino theme park without anything else other than that? I don't think good stories work like that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Spectacular Spider-Man = Still The Best Spider-Man

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
About Jurassic Park, though, not saying you are bad for your previous thought, but how many people would actually enjoy just dinosaurs causing havoc in a dino theme park without anything else other than that? I don't think good stories work like that.
That's the whole appeal of the franchise. Doing the opposite is why nobody liked 3

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Sometimes, it's okay for schlock to be schlock.

As meme'd on the Michael Bay Transformer movies are, they kinda gave people what they wanted. Big fights, explosions, and big robots punching and shooting each other.

They were absolutely trash movies, but they made bank.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, you don't go into a giant monster movie expecting "PEAK" cinema, you go in it because you want to see the giant monster, the humans are secondary characters IMO. Or at least, they should be. When the humans get more screentime than the movie's supposed main focus, you have a problem.
Well, the humans being secondary, they are. Still, I believe there has to be some things humans must do in a film for the film to be more relatable than it would be with just Godzilla hopping all around a city. There has to be more to a story. Like how humans deal with natural disasters in disaster movies. That doesn't mean Godzilla should get less spotlight than the humans, of course.

That's the whole appeal of the franchise. Doing the opposite is why nobody liked 3
Um, I don't think it was that. I thought the movie was just a bad movie.

Would the World (Jurassic World movies) be something any different in terms of showing dinosaurs more? Just curious.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Sometimes, it's okay for schlock to be schlock.

As meme'd on the Michael Bay Transformer movies are, they kinda gave people what they wanted. Big fights, explosions, and big robots punching and shooting each other.

They were absolutely trash movies, but they made bank.
I agree but man I wish they had someone proofread that script and remove the "erm, actually it's not statuatory 🤓🤓🤓" scene.

Oh, and Transformers 4. **** that movie

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Like, they're bad, bad, awful movies.

But sometimes it's really as simple as people wanna see big fight scenes and explosions. Lots and lots of explosions. :drshrug:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Like, they're bad, bad, awful movies.

But sometimes it's really as simple as people wanna see big fight scenes and explosions. Lots and lots of explosions. :drshrug:
You don't think movies, or movies like those we talk about, are all about the action, do you?

Shroob

Sup?
You don't think movies, or movies like those we talk about, are all about the action, do you?
I don't think people are paying money to see Transformers for the deep plot or stuff like that, it's entirely nostalgia and giant robots are cool.

It's a lot like Fast and Furious and its 10 something sequels.

Sure, people are going at it for the Rock and Vin Diesel, but how dull would those movies be without the fast cars, guns, explosions, races, heists etc.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm not a big Godzilla fan - heck I haven't even watched a single Godzilla movie - but wasn't the big guy originally supposed to be a huge on the nose allegory for the horrors of nuclear weaponry?

He's clearly gone on to be more then that but something about wanting the human element to be removed doesn't sit well with me. You're not supposed to feel good when cities get destroyed.

But then again I'm not actually a fan so what do I know? shrug

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't think people are paying money to see Transformers for the deep plot or stuff like that, it's entirely nostalgia and giant robots are cool.

It's a lot like Fast and Furious and its 10 something sequels.

Sure, people are going at it for the Rock and Vin Diesel, but how dull would those movies be without the fast cars, guns, explosions, races, heists etc.
Right. Thing is, stuff like nostalgia and giant robots, and the dinosaurs for Jurassic Park are all just the on-the-cover-of-the-book" thing. Deep or not, there has to be some sort of plot in regards to anything made well for a movie to be good. You can still see it for the action, but the action alone won't make it good, even if the action itself is good. Whether the action is good or not, that is why the Michael Bay Transformers movies were bad.

Now, I am just stating my opinion. There is no need for me to change your mind.

I'm not a big Godzilla fan - heck I haven't even watched a single Godzilla movie - but wasn't the big guy originally supposed to be a huge on the nose allegory for the horrors of nuclear weaponry?

He's clearly gone on to be more then that but something about wanting the human element to be removed doesn't sit well with me. You're not supposed to feel good when cities get destroyed.

That is partly what I am trying to say. Humans can't be just there, after all.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wanna know another example of an imbalanced movie? TMNT, the first of two live action films (the other being Out of the Shadows). The first was considered by some people as April O'Neal meets the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

for some reason I thought you meant the actual first 2 TMNT movies that lead to a bad 3rd movie and an animated sequel, not the nasty BayTurtles

Shroob

Sup?

He was, and still is to an extent, but more often than not, Godzilla is usually portrayed more as a hero in the movies nowadays.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

This is actually partly why I'm a big fan of indie Found Footage movies.

There are plenty of gems out there with great casts, but sometimes just watching the spooky ghosts, monsters or cryptids do spooky stuff without the addition of music makes for a fun watch and great scare.

As long as the effects are good and the acting's believable, you're got a decent Found Footage Horror movie in my book.

I mean, nobody watches Jurassic Park for the actors. Same deal here
I don't know, Dr. Grant and the rest of the original movie's cast still seem to be pretty well remembered today.

Jurassic World: Dominion wasn't exactly the finale people were hoping for but I doubt several of the original actors and their characters would have been brought back if people didn't care about them.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Scene? I thought it was an entire subplot
Michael Bay: man, this movie about cars trashing each other is going great, but man I really need something to spruce this up

Pedophilia:
lebronintro1.jpg

And then you got those who go for Megan Fox. Actually knew a guy who did this, but it was like in middle school so I guess Bay knows his target audience

Noipoi

Howdy!
What if there was a Godzilla that was actually about Godzilla.

Like, he had a character arc and ****. Without speaking or anything.

That'd be wacky.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

The original movie was, at least.

Watch the film and not only does a major scientific character state his fears that using more nuclear weaponry could create more "Godzillas", but the biggest city rampage scene in the film is a borderline dead ringer for a what a city just hit by a nuclear bomb would look like.

From there, though, the franchises and other kaiju films gradually turned more into just "rampaging monsters" and "giant monsters fighting each other" franchise because people understandably just thought that giant monsters are cool, with any manmade explanations for the monsters' backstory usually just serving as an excuse for why the giant monsters exist in the first place rather than to serve as an Aesop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom