• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Right.

But the unsympathetic villains I write? They tend to get killed off in the end, because I'm of the strong belief that reforming them wouldn't work. There's exceptions sure, I've written my fair share of "I want to conquer/destroy the world!" characters, and they usually end on the chopping block.

I'm joining this convo late, so I don't have full context of the discussion at hand, but I'm of the belief that in regards to comic books, we've had what, 90~ years of evidence that reforming comic book baddies has a success rate of like, 2%? I'm not saying that heroes should be killing their baddies, but at the same time, reforming them almost never works either, because at the end of the day, things more or less have to return to the status quo.
OK. But that's where the disconnect comes at the end. You can't bend that ever burning moral code that you should never take a life no matter what because of a trope of writing. That's essentially the same as IRL us advocating for killing all criminals because god is eventually gonna let them out. They have no idea in the world of the story that these villains are gonna keep getting out. Because in universe they have no reason not to. And I suppose it's fine if you limit thinking like that to fictional worlds, I will disagree with you, but it's fine I guess. But the problem comes when people start thinking that's how we should act in the real world. Which is especially problematic when we're placing this behavior in the minds of our heroes, our great and powerful icons who we should all aspire to be like.

Basically, that's my worry. I worry that these kinds of tropes is both A): Problematically indicitive of how the creators would want to see similar situations handled IRL, and B): will start causing people to seriously believe that this behavior is right and just.

And to think this all started with me hating the fact that the Snyder Cut exists.

Shroob

Sup?
OK. But that's where the disconnect comes at the end. You can't bend that ever burning moral code that you should never take a life no matter what because of a trope of writing. That's essentially the same as IRL us advocating for killing all criminals because god is eventually gonna let them out. They have no idea in the world of the story that these villains are gonna keep getting out. Because in universe they have no reason not to. And I suppose it's fine if you limit thinking like that to fictional worlds, I will disagree with you, but it's fine I guess. But the problem comes when people start thinking that's how we should act in the real world. Which is especially problematic when we're placing this behavior in the minds of our heroes, our great and powerful icons who we should all aspire to be like.

Basically, that's my worry. I worry that these kinds of tropes is both A): Problematically indicitive of how the creators would want to see similar situations handled IRL, and B): will start causing people to seriously believe that this behavior is right and just.

And to think this all started with me hating the fact that the Snyder Cut exists.
I think you put a LOT of weight on comic books to be honest. No offense Snake, but this is the same kinda mindset soccer moms had that cause the video game panic of the early 2000's that video games caused violence, and like, I'm pretty sure nowadays more kids play stuff like GTA and COD than they do read comic books. That's my opinion though.

And I mean, sure, in universe I get it, but at what point does Batman look at himself and say "Ya know? Maybe... Arkham isn't a good place to send people after all." AT LEAST send them to Blackgate ffs.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
OK. Let's just ignore all of that superhero talk so i can take a victory lap because I GOT THE LAST FLASHBACK TAPE!!!! Finally! It took me two whole days to beat that level in Crash 4 without dying to get it! I'm so hyped and thrilled and relieved!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think you put a LOT of weight on comic books to be honest. No offense Snake, but this is the same kinda mindset soccer moms had that cause the video game panic of the early 2000's that video games caused violence, and like, I'm pretty sure nowadays more kids play stuff like GTA and COD than they do read comic books. That's my opinion though.

And I mean, sure, in universe I get it, but at what point does Batman look at himself and say "Ya know? Maybe... Arkham isn't a good place to send people after all." AT LEAST send them to Blackgate ffs.
hell Batman is living in a world where he’s no longer the richest person in DC...and was actually never the richest cause of Alfred being richer

AndresSSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
PKLS#218
I'm just thinking here, but we use 3rd party/ 1st party to describe video game characters in relation to their companies. What would a 2nd party character be?:surprised:

Shroob

Sup?
does that count digital sales? Cause Crash has been historically very popular in Japan.
Crash honestly has had a really rough revival time in Japan from the looks of things.

N.Sane trilogy barely broke 100k over there, and Crash 4 not being in the last Direct seemingly has had a HUGE impact on its sales. And yes, that's counting digital afaik.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So umm... my Link statue arrives Saturday.

I can't decide if my next one should be Luigi, Spyro, or Doom Slayer.
x_f4flm03st.jpg
a4bfa0eb-a3e3-4b02-b610-54b18250c3bd.jpg
D9HQwOJXoAcqVec.jpg

Reactions: ---

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm just thinking here, but we use 3rd party/ 1st party to describe video game characters in relation to their companies. What would a 2nd party character be?:surprised:
A 2nd Party character is a character owned by a company that is owned by Nintendo.
Shulk is owned by Monolith Soft, and Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo, so Shulk is 2nd Party.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
y’all should totally watch Young Rock...totally a polite demand

osby

Smash Obsessed
Characters created by Nintendo subsidiaries, like Intelligent Systems or Monolith Soft.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Technically 2nd party would be us, the buyers. So an even crazier speculation would be which assumingly real life Nintendo fan would get into Smash? Robin Williams anyone? :yoshi:
That's incorrect. In conversation, second party is the listener. In literature, second party is the reader.
But a second party studio is a studio owned by the first party. Retro, Monolith Soft, GameFreak, Creatures Inc., etc.
Rare is a second party of Microsoft, but a third party to Nintendo.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Crash honestly has had a really rough revival time in Japan from the looks of things.

N.Sane trilogy barely broke 100k over there, and Crash 4 not being in the last Direct seemingly has had a HUGE impact on its sales. And yes, that's counting digital afaik.
Well that... sucks. I wonder if that will affect his Smash chances.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well that... sucks. I wonder if that will affect his Smash chances.
Well, if he's in Fighter's Pass Volume 2, then it was decided well before Crash 4.
Probably just poor marketing. The Crash Trilogy was the first Western video game IP to get popular in Japan, but Sony, a Japanese company, published it. Now it's all Activision.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
On the Crash situation, Early financial reports rarely include Digital sales at the start. Big Crash fans already bought it on PS4 and if sales truly dictated what characters got in then Terry probably wouldn't be here. also as Shroob mentioned if Crash got in he would have been negotiated a while ago.

AndresSSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
PKLS#218
On the Crash situation, Early financial reports rarely include Digital sales at the start. Big Crash fans already bought it on PS4 and if sales truly dictated what characters got in then Terry probably wouldn't be here. also as Shroob mentioned if Crash got in he would have been negotiated a while ago.
I thought Terry inclusion was also a slight promo for KOF XV

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I thought Terry inclusion was also a slight promo for KOF XV
I highly doubt that

First off the game wouldn't even be announced for another few months after Terry's reveal. And the game hasn't even been confirmed to be getting a Switch release yet. And Terry was negotiated sometime before the first fighter's pass was revealed.

Terry was added because KOF and FF were popular and were iconic. (Also they supported the switch really early on)

Or it was behind the scenes and I'm just wrong :p

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I highly doubt that

First off the game wouldn't even be announced for another few months after Terry's reveal. And the game hasn't even been confirmed to be getting a Switch release yet. And Terry was negotiated sometime before the first fighter's pass was revealed.

Terry was added because KOF and FF were popular and were iconic.

Or it was behind the scenes and I'm just wrong :p
I mean, probably didn't hurt that SNK was one of the early adopters to the Switch and dumped a TON of their titles on the Eshop.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, probably didn't hurt that SNK was one of the early adopters to the Switch and dumped a TON of their titles on the Eshop.
Having a game on Switch didn't hurt :ultbyleth::ulthero::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultjoker::ultpyra: either.

Like, I doubt Nintendo is just throwing darts at Switch releases to decide which characters to add, and "Joker was added to promote P5S" is dumb but I'm going to be surprised if the last two characters don't follow the trend.

Shroob

Sup?
Having a game on Switch didn't hurt :ultbyleth::ulthero::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultjoker::ultpyra: either.

Like, I doubt Nintendo is just throwing darts at Switch releases to decide which characters to add, and "Joker was added to promote P5S" is dumb but I'm going to be surprised if the last two characters don't follow the trend.
Wait has every character we've gotten except Banjo had a game on Switch?

Well then.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Anyway gimme a Yakuza rep.

Friend's been streaming Yakuza 7 and I(Already knew I would like it), but I really like this series.

If there was a Yakuza rep, it would be a missed opportunity to not have Ichiban repped by Erdrick in a spirit battle.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait has every character we've gotten except Banjo had a game on Switch?

Well then.
Notably, Banjo and Joker are the only DLC characters that the Ultimate website doesn't directly link to a game. Even Piranha Plant sends you to the Super Mario Bros page and Joker is probably because P5S wasn't out yet when he was released.

So, uh, I think Nintendo might care a little about which characters appeared on their consoles. As crazy as Steve and Joker were, this makes me more skeptical about the chances of characters like 2B or Master Chief.

Shroob

Sup?
Notably, Banjo and Joker are the only DLC characters that the Ultimate website doesn't directly link to a game. Even Piranha Plant sends you to the Super Mario Bros page and Joker is probably because P5S wasn't out yet when he was released.

So, uh, I think Nintendo might care a little about which characters appeared on their consoles. As crazy as Steve and Joker were, this makes me more skeptical about the chances of characters like 2B or Master Chief.
Reminds me that the Ninja Gaiden trilogy is apparently getting 2 releases on Switch in Japan, a censored and uncensored version.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Reminds me that the Ninja Gaiden trilogy is apparently getting 2 releases on Switch in Japan, a censored and uncensored version.
iirc that's not uncommon for games with high age ratings in Japan but really makes you think.🤔

Either way, Hayabusa would be a catsuit ninja guy with Charizard up throw and make sword haters cry so I'm all for him.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I want to publish a story as a video game, and one of my ideas was to physically release an M rated game but an AO patch to patch in the questionable scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom