• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I mostly just read manga online through fansites as I don't find I ever have the time or patience to watch anime. I also like skimming through sites and binge reading genres. Only a few select series I ever pick up physically for my shelf; granted I picked up a few Volume 1s while overseas. You can spend days upon days just reading all of the crazy series and one-offs that were published and never localized or never got anime adaptions.

It's hard to talk about anime/manga given just how hard the divides are in terms of spoilers given just how many adaptions there can be and how long it can take for localization to occur vs. fan translations.

In a landscape of isekai anime i wish Pokemon Mystery dungeon got a full anime series, i bet it would do extremely well.
On that note: Pokemon Ranger needed a full anime series as well.
Welcome to the club. I'm still waiting for Pokemon Adventures to at least get an OVA of it's own, and it's been around longer than the main anime itself. :p

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The longest wavelength of light discernible to the human eye. It falls in the range of 620–750 nanometres in the visible spectrum is using the art or occupation of performing to force us to believe something that is not true, typically in order to gain some personal advantage, presumbably for himself. However, I refute that notion that he is performing in an adequate manner, to elaborate my thoughts further, I have the idea or impression that this particular character is of questionable, dishonest, or dangerous character or condition, and thus we should moniter thier movements as carefully as we possibly can.

Shroob

Sup?
The longest wavelength of light discernible to the human eye. It falls in the range of 620–750 nanometres in the visible spectrum is using the art or occupation of performing to force us to believe something that is not true, typically in order to gain some personal advantage, presumbably for himself. However, I refute that notion that he is performing in an adequate manner, to elaborate my thoughts further, I have the idea or impression that this particular character is of questionable, dishonest, or dangerous character or condition, and thus we should moniter thier movements as carefully as we possibly can.
Okay Mister Magic Man, but you forgot to say Big McThankies from McSpankies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The Gaul of actually doing that! My god that is so.... arg! They actually did that? Those pretentious ass holes! A human life is sacred, I don’t care who’s it is! Defending that is what makes you a true hero! I swear this is what years of marvel dominated media has done to people’s morals and standards! No wonder people are actually on board with villain movies! Considering how Doomsday Clock ended, if that’s where they went then the current writers need fired

And yeah. In this context, they are. You’re not going to learn any lore. There’s no world to get into beyond this one story. There’s no reason to come back afterwards because once it’s done the story is over. Gone. Finito. Not to mention needing to exist in the same universe as the other dc heroes is the only thing that will keep Batman writers from turning it into bloody Mortal Kombat! God can’t wait to see how Batman kills this next villain! It’s always interesting to see how he kills this one! He kills everyone dontcha know, it’s the only way to really stop them from offending again! Stuff inprisonment and don’t even bother with rehabilitation, just murder away! People are just bags of meat who use resources after all!

And you can still have multiple styles of movie and have them be set in the same universe. To think otherwise is just nonsense.
not really...otherwise they wouldn't get away with a lot of **** with a limited source. Why else do you think the MCU has done reboots to a good bit of their characters while DC went on to make each of their media franchises separate but only connected via cameo crossover? To make things easier to not confuse people.

People come back to a solo movie so that they can appreciate and worship a high quality movie. It may not lead to anything, but that doesn't make it worthless. You can rewatch and love what's been given on the daily.

and as for that first part...they're assholes for continuing to do what their main storylines were doing in the first place? We had Wonder Woman snap the neck of Max Lord to save Superman, and the Justice League give Dr. Light brain damage due to him breaking into the Watchtower and ****** Sue Dibny (which is completely on the League for even leaving her there unattended...and making it even worse for not telling the rest of the heroes about it). The woman died traumatized...that's ****ed up. Continuing modern stories after a story that meant nothing in the long run due to the constant delays...that means nothing to the current timeline. We even spent the first 2 months of 2021 in an alienate future just to showcase some new and updated characters.

People want movies and shows about the villains to get an extended taste of them, and because it'll more than likely be great (like Loki will be...before his 2012 self likely becomes good)
I’d say the Ultimates continuity comes close
Marvel only acknowledges Ultimate Spider-Man and The Maker...therefore it was lighthearted based on their information
"Wasp, gonna eat ya!"
Ultimatum was done by a guy who lost his son and went on to be a hated Marvel writer, so...oabsldbdkgb
And that's why it's gone lol
actually it's back...via Miles Morales comics
You know now that I think about it, aren’t both the Spider-Man Raimi trilogy and Amazing films based off the Ultimate universe?
Raimi no, but TASM a bit. MCU Spidey takes a bit more from Ultimate than both however

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
We had Wonder Woman snap the neck of Max Lord to save Superman, and the Justice League give Dr. Light brain damage due to him breaking into the Watchtower and ****** Sue Dibny (which is completely on the League for even leaving her there unattended...and making it even worse for not telling the rest of the heroes about it). The woman died traumatized...that's ****ed up.
Lemme preface this by saying these weren’t good decisions on the writers parts, but they did happen.

Raimi no, but TASM a bit. MCU Spidey takes a bit more from Ultimate than both however
I mean both series had stuff like Peter and Harry being best friends, the spider coming from Oscorp and Peter getting into a fight with Uncle Ben before he dies. MCU Peter takes more from comic Miles Morales than Ultimate.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Bros I’ve been seriously considering not playing video games all day.

And going outside.

I think somethings wrong with me.
Yeah I need to be an adult for a little bit too. Got some work that I gotta do tomorrow and I'll need to be treated in order to deal with it. Gotta quit playing this game, get some dinner and go to bed.

Shroob

Sup?
Stuff inprisonment and don’t even bother with rehabilitation, just murder away! People are just bags of meat who use resources after all!
I mean, how many bad guys actually turn a new leaf in the end? I can't even name 5 on my hand.

Kinda a hollow message to preach "Reform the baddies!", when the second that they're on the street again, they're back to their evil ways.

Not saying to kill them no, but whatever they're doing in universe sure as **** isn't working. Like, TBH, I'd argue that locking them up and only for them to break out again and cause even more chaos and damage is sending the opposite of a good message. It's preaching that "Reform doesn't work", because, it kinda doesn't in universe. Comic book characters aren't real people, they're cartoons, they can only do whatever the person writing them does, so when a villain, who will always be a villain, gets locked up, goes through rehab, and is then out on the street 3 books later back to their evil ways, what kind of message is that sending to the reader? Hmm? Someone like the Joker will never be a 'good' guy, he just won't, because he's a villain, and people love him being a villain, so sure, lock him up, we all know out of universe that it won't do anything in the end, and in universe, it's only a matter of time until he breaks out and kills more people.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yeah I need to be an adult for a little bit too. Got some work that I gotta do tomorrow and I'll need to be treated in order to deal with it. Gotta quit playing this game, get some dinner and go to bed.
**** being an adult, imma stay up making **** in animal crossing

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I mean, how many bad guys actually turn a new leaf in the end? I can't even name 5 on my hand.

Kinda a hollow message to preach "Reform the baddies!", when the second that they're on the street again, they're back to their evil ways.

Not saying to kill them no, but whatever they're doing in universe sure as **** isn't working. Like, TBH, I'd argue that locking them up and only for them to break out again and cause even more chaos and damage is sending the opposite of a good message. It's preaching that "Reform doesn't work", because, it kinda doesn't in universe. Comic book characters aren't real people, they're cartoons, they can only do whatever the person writing them does, so when a villain, who will always be a villain, gets locked up, goes through rehab, and is then out on the street 3 books later back to their evil ways, what kind of message is that sending to the reader? Hmm?
It’s also kind of a problem with ongoing comic book series, especially ones that have been going on as long as Superman and Batman. Depending on the circumstances, no character truly dies or could get revived as many times as the creators please, though reforming brings a trickier problem.

Shroob

Sup?
It’s also kind of a problem with ongoing comic book series, especially ones that have been going on as long as Superman and Batman. Depending on the circumstances, no character truly dies or could get revived as many times as the creators please, though reforming brings a trickier problem.
I remember when the Riddler "Reformed"..... That didn't last long.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, like where would you go from there? Do you just have him go off and live a normal life? Just drop him altogether?
Pretty much.

At the end of the day, people want characters to be what they're known for. A villain may "reform" for a bit, but at that point, they either become an anti-hero, or go back to being a villain again.

Say if Joker reformed for a long period of time. It'd shake the comic book world to its core.... but we all know that it'd just get reversed a couple issues later.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Pretty much.

At the end of the day, people want characters to be what they're known for. A villain may "reform" for a bit, but at that point, they either become an anti-hero, or go back to being a villain again.

Say if Joker reformed for a long period of time. It'd shake the comic book world to its core.... but we all know that it'd just get reversed a couple issues later.
Plus there’s gonna be the people who’d are like can you truly accept the reformation of someone who has committed heinous acts and even orchestrated the murder of countless individuals?

Shroob

Sup?
Plus there’s gonna be the people who’d are like can you truly accept the reformation of someone who has committed heinous acts and even orchestrated the murder of countless individuals?
I think there's definitely a story to be told in that regard, and a lot of stories have done such a thing in the past.

The problem is though, doing so to established characters is difficult, to say the least. Would people accept a reformed Joker when people love him being the clown prince of crime? That, is hard to say.
I guess I'll shut up. Nobody ever changed each others mind over the internet.
That's not true in the slightest.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I guess I'll shut up. Nobody ever changed each others mind over the internet.
I used to think America was as great as Republicans pretend it is.
It was my super far-right 9th Grade History teacher that made me actually look into it because he informed me that we still had the death penalty.
I had assumed that the death penalty was only in places like Iran, and we had gotten rid of it in the damn 1800s.

Shroob

Sup?
Ok then. Is it not true that what we write about and the stories we tell, and who we choose to root for are indicative of what we believe is right or wrong?
I mean, I've written all kinds of stories, you just tend to do so as a fanfic writer. My views may impact my writing sure, I admit, but I'm also not opposed to going against my own views and bias if it creates an engaging story in the end. I can write absolutely heinous, despicable villains, doesn't mean I actively support the things that they do or say. Same can be said if I write a villain who's sympathetic, or a hero who's an absolute jerk, sometimes, you have to put your own bias and views aside to write an interesting story, even if you have to step outside your own comfort zone.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I've written all kinds of stories, you just tend to do so as a fanfic writer. My views may impact my writing sure, I admit, but I'm also not opposed to going against my own views and bias if it creates an engaging story in the end. I can write absolutely heinous, despicable villains, doesn't mean I actively support the things that they do or say. Same can be said if I write a villain who's sympathetic, or a hero who's an absolute jerk, sometimes, you have to put your own bias and views aside to write an interesting story, even if you have to step outside your own comfort zone.
I mean sure. But there's a difference between what your describing and what I am. Like, if you write a heinous despicable villain, you don't try to make them sympathetic or try to make their point of view seam justified. You demonize them. Rightly so.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean sure. But there's a difference between what your describing and what I am. Like, if you write a heinous despicable villain, you don't try to make them sympathetic or try to make their point of view seam justified. You demonize them. Rightly so.
But I'm also not opposed to writing sympathetic villains either, who you can look at and say, "You know, maybe they're right."

Evil isn't black and white to me, there's infinite shades of grey in between. We can't judge someone's actions entirely, because we have no ****ing idea what brought them to that point. Sometimes, bad things happen to good people, and even said good people will have to fall back on bad things in hard times.

Glubbfubb

Smash Master
So I am having a hard time of deciding between maining Ness or Lucus, Ness has better PK Thunder but Lucus has PK Freeze, which should I choose

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
So I am having a hard time of deciding between maining Ness or Lucus, Ness has better PK Thunder but Lucus has PK Freeze, which should I choose
Enjoying a character involves more than just one move. Coming to understand the playstyle behind both will help you determine which one you should main more.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But I'm also not opposed to writing sympathetic villains either, who you can look at and say, "You know, maybe they're right."

Evil isn't black and white to me, there's infinite shades of grey in between. We can't judge someone's actions entirely, because we have no ****ing idea what brought them to that point. Sometimes, bad things happen to good people, and even said good people will have to fall back on bad things in hard times.
but you wouldn't make a sympathetic villain do the same things you would an unsympathetic one. You wouldn't make a sociopathic genocidal loon and try to make the audience think THEY were right.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lemme preface this by saying these weren’t good decisions on the writers parts, but they did happen.

I mean both series had stuff like Peter and Harry being best friends, the spider coming from Oscorp and Peter getting into a fight with Uncle Ben before he dies. MCU Peter takes more from comic Miles Morales than Ultimate.
...actually I thought the Wonder Woman part was kinda smart. Her ass got baited by the villain and got caught in 4K...thus making the good people be unable to trust her...she fell right into that Lord Trap.

MCU Peter takes aspects of all 3 Ultimate Spider-Men (so the show included...unfortunately yet reasonably so). Being under the influence of a top hero/Nick Fury, free suits, high tech before he makes more high tech on his own, Ned being more like Ganke (even though Hobgoblin is likely to come up soon), the cool man haircuts, got himself a Zendaya MJ, bunch of the heroes knowing his identity, quick access to the Avengers, etc.

only thing missing is an Eddie Brock
but you wouldn't make a sympathetic villain do the same things you would an unsympathetic one. You wouldn't make a sociopathic genocidal loon and try to make the audience think THEY were right.
looks at Telltale Joker

Shroob

Sup?
Right.

But the unsympathetic villains I write? They tend to get killed off in the end, because I'm of the strong belief that reforming them wouldn't work. There's exceptions sure, I've written my fair share of "I want to conquer/destroy the world!" characters, and they usually end on the chopping block.

I'm joining this convo late, so I don't have full context of the discussion at hand, but I'm of the belief that in regards to comic books, we've had what, 90~ years of evidence that reforming comic book baddies has a success rate of like, 2%? I'm not saying that heroes should be killing their baddies, but at the same time, reforming them almost never works either, because at the end of the day, things more or less have to return to the status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom