• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It feels so weird to think that the 3DS turns 10 this year.
It was around for so long that it still feels like a current system, even though it's last releases were 2 years ago. And i'm pretty sure only 1 or 2 of them were fully new games while the others were either ports or games that took forever to be localized.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The new Dragon Ball Super was okay.
You got my hopes up until I realized you were talking about the manga...which I haven't bothered with yet. Somewhat interested since it's tackling entirely new stuff now but I've heard mixed things about the Moro arc.

But seriously, when is the anime coming back, it's been almost 3 years

D

Deleted member

One Piece fans when they finally realize the true pirate's treasure was the adventure of friendship all along.
At bare minimum it's gonna contain the details of the Void Century, so it's not just that.

Although you wonder why Roger named it Laugh Tale if it wasn't something like "the power of friendship was the treasure"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You got my hopes up until I realized you were talking about the manga...which I haven't bothered with yet. Somewhat interested since it's tackling entirely new stuff now but I've heard mixed things about the Moro arc.

But seriously, when is the anime coming back, it's been almost 3 years
"Mixed things since the Moro arc." Bro it's literally only been over for two months chill lmao. It's like this with every arc in its beginning.

But what's with the mangaphobia? It literally covers the exact same material and premise as the anime but you're afraid of... pencilwork? :191: Give it a shot.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
  1. Superman kills when it's been needed most by writers. People have been so used to him being able to solve most issues without killing that they've forgotten the times he killed before and sometimes during so. It's like how most forgot he hated Japanese people cause war time, or how he helped Lois be a black person for a day or so...they make sure many of these things are forgotten
  2. I don't think you realize just how dark DC has been compared to Marvel. They've done...a lot...lots...loads even...of dark stories and characters. Most of it comes from Batman, but everyone has a dark story (hell Hal Jordan ****ed a 13 year old girl then ended up becoming a villain, while Kyle's girlfriend was killed and stuffed in a refrigerator...also the whole Sue Dibny incident). New 52 had more ups than downs and inspired a whole animated movie franchise that went even darker, and it's also the reason for many of the promotions of many characters such as Harley and Cyborg.
  3. Nolan didn't go past the enemies he did to keep his vision going...and Joker has been given countless origin stories that has been loved and well received.
  4. Superman killed Zod by pushing him in another live action movie (which was noted)...and he didn't regret that kill one bit.
  5. Joker and Apokolips War literally proved that them having dark stories can be successful for them...not like they stopped doing them anyways
  6. Honestly I'm starting to think you don't really like DC cause it seems like you don't know a whole lot about the dark secrets some of these heroes have hidden
  7. Easy...Joker was amazing as ** while The Batman will also be amazing as **

Galaxy was the only game in 3D All Stars I had patience for
I love DC! But I make no secret in the fact that I prefer the silver age stuff. Leaning closer to Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I think Young Justice is as dark as I like it. You can’t tell me I don’t like something just because there’s a part of it I don’t like, it’s not all or nothing!

The moral I’ve always gotten from DC is that there’s always another way. If you kill your enemies you’re no better then they are. When you do that, you become the villain of someone else’s story. And you should never do that.

I still have not watched joker. Nothing about it, the process behind making it, or the response to it has ever made me think it will be a good movie. And The Batman promises to be nothing more then more grim dark schlock mucking up the character and its world. Seriously, turning Riddler into the ****ing Zodiac Killer!?! THAT’S who you’re gonna do him? Not to mention both of them completely break from the purpose of establishing a cinematic universe! They aren’t cannon to anything so they don’t matter! They’re just wastes of time!

I have not seen Apocalypse War, but judging by how your describing it I can throw it on the bad pile again.

And Marvel is the one where every villain is secretly racism and every hero is so flawed they might as well be villains. The one where the heroes kill indiscriminately and had a god damn civil war!

And my final point. You are not a collection of your worst moments. So pulling together a collection of dc’s lowest points and saying the whole thing is dark and grim and superman should just kill everyone he fights is not a valid point! For heavens sake have you READ Doomsday Clock? That was the whole point of that story!

D

Deleted member

That's ****ing lame, it's just legitimate treasure?
Not treasure in the sense it's just a lot of gold, more like historical treasure. The World Government has killed to keep the Void Century a secret, and going by Rayleigh knowing it, Roger's flashback, etc, we know knowledge of what the Void Century was at least part of it at the time Roger got there. It's possible they took the evidence and knowledge with them, but considering Roger was terminally ill at the time, it seems unlikely; they would have no need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The World Government has killed to keep the Void Century a secret, and going by Rayleigh knowing it, Roger's flashback, etc, we know knowledge of what the Void Century was at least part of it at the time Roger got there.
So basically how the American government tries to hide the body of Jesus Christ in JoJo? I mean, it could be cool but people are definitely going to be disappointed no matter what when it's been hyping up for like 25 years now.

I tried going through One Piece but those beginning arcs put me to sleep man.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So i checked my 3DS's journal app, (a thing that REALLY should have been on Switch btw) and i saw my 10 most played 3DS games:
1: Super Smash Bros 3DS
2: Pokemon X
3: Project X Zone 2
4: Animal Crossing New Leaf
5: Kingdom Hearts 3DS
6: Professor Layton Vs Ace Attorney
7: Kid Icarus Uprising
8: Dragon Quest 8
9: Yokai watch 2
10: LBX

So that was what i spent my time on during my high school and most of my college years on.

D

Deleted member

So basically how the American government tries to hide the body of Jesus Christ in JoJo? I mean, it could be cool but people are definitely going to be disappointed no matter what when it's been hyping up for like 25 years now.

I tried going through One Piece but those beginning arcs put me to sleep man.
I mean, the knowledge of the Void Century is just a part of it, and the only piece we know for sure was there. I'd wager that knowledge of what "D" means is there as well, along, of course, with the usual piles of gold.
If anything, the ending is probably going to be the most somber moment of the series, because One Piece is more about the journey rather than the destination. Although, one final "Luffy vs the World Government" mini-saga to end the series isn't out of the question after they find the One Piece.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
"Mixed things since the Moro arc." Bro it's literally only been over for two months chill lmao. It's like this with every arc in its beginning.

But what's with the mangaphobia? It literally covers the exact same material and premise as the anime but you're afraid of... pencilwork? :191: Give it a shot.

Who said anything about "mangaphobia"? I enjoy manga but I prefer watching anime if given the option, and since the Super manga mostly covered the anime material with minimal differences here and there for the longest time, I just haven't been in a rush to read it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I mean, the knowledge of the Void Century is just a part of it, and the only piece we know for sure was there. I'd wager that knowledge of what "D" means is there as well, along, of course, with the usual piles of gold.
If anything, the ending is probably going to be the most somber moment of the series, because One Piece is more about the journey rather than the destination.
It'll most likely just be like when Homer found out what the J stands for in his middle name "Jay"

The D just means Dee.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
If anything, the ending is probably going to be the most somber moment of the series, because One Piece is more about the journey rather than the destination. Although, one final "Luffy vs the World Government" mini-saga to end the series isn't out of the question after they find the One Piece.
Speaking of the ending, it's probably gonna be sometime sooner than most think, as the plot's been advancing hecka quickly in Wano right now.

Like, if Oda keeps up current pace...5, maybe 7 more years at best.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Who said anything about "mangaphobia"? I enjoy manga but I prefer watching anime if given the option, and since the Super manga mostly covered the anime material with minimal differences here and there for the longest time, I just haven't been in a rush to read it.
It covers the same premise a lot differently. I don't think you know what these "minimal" differences are considering many fights, roles, and endings are played far differently. I at least recommend it, because the Moro arc too will be considerably different from the source material as well I imagine. "Mangaphobia" is more just the confusion I have for how quickly you'd consume the anime but you hesitate on a montly-issued manga that you could finish within the next month when the next chapter hits. There isn't any disdain or harassment, but if you can and are interested, why not just simply do it?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
One Piece is too long for me. I love it's story idea but the episode length is too much. Would definitely watch it out of the big long runners compared to Naruto, DBZ as it's looks more entertaining.

Plus I haven't still watched a few "essentials" like Cowboy Bebop, FMA: Brotherhood, K-On, Kill la Kill, My Hero Academia, Toradora etc.

Probably the longest I'd be interested is Fairy Tail but then again it's a tradeoff. I could watch about 10-15 anime of various genres in that time instead of it.

Just sayin.

D

Deleted member

It'll most likely just be like when Homer found out what the J stands for in his middle name "Jay"

The D just means Dee.
Nah, there's already been plenty of buildup to suggest there's a more heavy meaning behind that intial.

This is probably one of the most well known examples:
But there's also a few smaller examples, such as this:
EnR9KdDW8AAl_ha.jpg

Where people who have that initial, are treated as different from the more common folk, and apparently from experience too.

Another thing I feel I should point out, is the fact that all of the carriers of D, at least, for now, seemingly aren't related by blood.(Whitebeard and Luffy obviously aren't long lost cousins lol) A middle name is a family initial, so why would so many seemingly unrelated characters have it if they weren't connected in some way?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The DBS anime and manga have differences and qualities that stand out amongst each other. The Goku Black arc had better choreography and shining character moments in the anime, but the arc ending and character power traits were handled far better. The Tournament of Power had more interesting battles and a better overall landscape who the **** chose a giant top, but the manga had better matchups and actually felt like 48 minutes.

I don't know what the Moro adaptation might do differently if the anime comes back outside of pacing to match a weekly aired anime from a monthly published Shonen. Maybe some more filler for the Goku/Vegeta training arcs I guess? Yamcha Baseball 2.0? Tien made even less useful and even Yamcha outshining him more??? Who knows.

Seriously though, why Toei and the writers **** on Tien so hard? Imagine doing worse in the Moro arc than ****ing Yamcha bro.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One Piece is probably my favorite anime of all time, and while I don't watch nor read it religiously like most people, I catch up every few months by binging chapters and watching the episodes I missed.

Much more convenient for me to do it all in one burst rather than follow it week by week. :drshrug:

Glubbfubb

Smash Master
Hey question if smash bros got an rpg title would you rather have Earthbound/Mother style combat or Puzzle Quest combat

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One Piece is probably my favorite anime of all time, and while I don't watch nor read it religiously like most people, I catch up every few months by binging chapters and watching the episodes I missed.

Much more convenient for me to do it all in one burst rather than follow it week by week. :drshrug:
At least weekly speculation can be entertaining, monthly **** like Dragon Ball or JoJo really takes a lot out of a person when everyone hypes up these things and it turns out to be nothing. Or a series that has hiatuses like Berserk, Hunter, or... JoJo again.

Like bro, JoJolion is ending soon but I don't even care, I just want to leave the ****ing hospital we've been there since 2018 GET ME OUT

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

Yeah but isn't it better to watch stuff like one new episode a week? For me it means even if I had a bad day it gives me something to look forward to.

Plus in these times new anime a week kinda acts like a timekeeper until lockdown ends.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I love DC! But I make no secret in the fact that I prefer the silver age stuff. Leaning closer to Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I think Young Justice is as dark as I like it. You can’t tell me I don’t like something just because there’s a part of it I don’t like, it’s not all or nothing!

The moral I’ve always gotten from DC is that there’s always another way. If you kill your enemies you’re no better then they are. When you do that, you become the villain of someone else’s story. And you should never do that.

I still have not watched joker. Nothing about it, the process behind making it, or the response to it has ever made me think it will be a good movie. And The Batman promises to be nothing more then more grim dark schlock mucking up the character and its world. Seriously, turning Riddler into the ****ing Zodiac Killer!?! THAT’S who you’re gonna do him? Not to mention both of them completely break from the purpose of establishing a cinematic universe! They aren’t cannon to anything so they don’t matter! They’re just wastes of time!

I have not seen Apocalypse War, but judging by how your describing it I can throw it on the bad pile again.

And Marvel is the one where every villain is secretly racism and every hero is so flawed they might as well be villains. The one where the heroes kill indiscriminately and had a god damn civil war!

And my final point. You are not a collection of your worst moments. So pulling together a collection of dc’s lowest points and saying the whole thing is dark and grim and superman should just kill everyone he fights is not a valid point! For heavens sake have you READ Doomsday Clock? That was the whole point of that story!
and you know what came after Doomsday Clock? Tons of The Batman Who Laughs and Death Metal and another soft reboot where we'll likely get a gloomy Darkseid story that many of us will love. Also the DC Black Label (well known for the Bat Junk they "accidentally" put in a page).

That moral has grown to depend on the character and situation. Months ago alone, Batman choose to let Joker of all people die to save Harley because she put a bomb on herself to force him to realize Gotham being destroyed in favor of keeping him alive isn't worth all the chaos and the risk of millions more dying. It was amazingly well done, had Harley call out and judge the one Batman code made after years of Killing people before they got that first of many DC reboot...and he opened his eyes for just that one moment and made a tough decision. Not even Alfred being murdered opened his eyes that wide.

instantly dissing AW for being dark isn't gonna help out...and Marvel villains aren't going around being racist in this day and age (and even if they still were...still better than having a top hero be racist for a bit). Even Red Skull isn't being racist (just a terrorist at this point...ah the days of him being worse than a Nazi...)

and wait...so because a movie isn't apart of a massive universe...they don't matter and is a waste of time to watch? That's honestly a foolish thing to say. We live in a world (not society) that has accepted superhero movies for the most part, and it gives us tons of room for a boatload of content
  1. MCU
  2. DCEU
  3. Spider-Verse
  4. formerly the X-Men universe
  5. Solo Movies to expand the muliverse
  6. Lego
  7. Animated movies
  8. Anime
  9. Crossovers
  10. etc.
There's no reason to disregard a movie like Into the Spider-Verse or Joker just because they're not apart of a massive universe. They're there to give fans an additional experience to learn about or continue their love for said product.

also having multiple different styles of superhero movies is far better than keeping the singular world of it, not being able to have tons of worldly tastes in the process

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah but isn't it better to watch stuff like one new episode a week?
Honestly?

I'm too lazy to do it once a week, I usually forget anyway. :drsad:doesn't help that modern anime streaming websites are pretty crap
I'm not really hardcode into anime like ya'll. I follow the few series I like but that's it.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm terrible at following anime weekly. Hell, I'm five episodes behind on Laid-Back Camp S2 right now.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Nah, there's already been plenty of buildup to suggest there's a more heavy meaning behind that intial.

This is probably one of the most well known examples:
But there's also a few smaller examples, such as this:
View attachment 307813
Where people who have that initial, are treated as different from the more common folk, and apparently from experience too.

Another thing I feel I should point out, is the fact that all of the carriers of D, at least, for now, seemingly aren't related by blood.(Whitebeard and Luffy obviously aren't long lost cousins lol) A middle name is a family initial, so why would so many seemingly unrelated characters have it if they weren't connected in some way?
Maybe it's because of a unknown person from the Void century who happens to be named Dee, a man so terryfying and powerful that the name frightens people. Even though Dee was forgotten entirely.

This isn't a serious theory lol

D

Deleted member

Speaking of the ending, it's probably gonna be sometime sooner than most think, as the plot's been advancing hecka quickly in Wano right now.

Like, if Oda keeps up current pace...5, maybe 7 more years at best.
tfw One Piece finally ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom