• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It's really annoying how half of the time whenever I download a file on my school chromebook it defaults to uploading to google drive, even if I literally had just downloaded the exact same file 2 seconds prior. Cleaning up this drive is going to be a nightmare....

It won't even let me change it so it's just stuck like this

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
you can ignore this comment if you don't want your dream to come true

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Right guys let's tone down the alpops and the coffees.

So Lamperouge Lamperouge and by extension cause I think they might be interested M MooMew64 Wademan94 Wademan94 and Noipoi Noipoi found a list of games I had about a year and a half ago, basically if I had roughly 10 games I think everyone should play if given the choice.

Pretty much games that had such an impact on me mainly and what I've played in the last seven years. Did make a change to it having but it was something to replace Smash Bros.

So the list:
God of War 2018
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
The Outer Worlds - The change.
Celeste
Katamari Damacy.
Gravity Rush 1/2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Child of Light
Zero Escape Trilogy
This is for people who want to break into the ice of gaming. Not for wee Timmy who's only kicks in games is killing a whole town in GTA or begging their mother for FIFA points. For more cultured people like all of us. So yeah check it.

Again, you guys should be so thankful you don't have to see those kind of parents in the US with that accent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm debating on what I want to spend my $50 of tcgplayer credit on.

Should I spent it on supplies I need, like sleeves? cards to upgrade my deck? Or just buy another box because why not?

idk yet, probably would be better to wait I guess.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Had some mochi after eating. It was pretty neat, it's Adzuki flavored.

Shroob

Sup?
SwSh was really good, Not the Greatest game of all time, or even the best Pokemon game, but The gameplay didn't bore me and I liked seeing all the environments and pokemon walking around, I like Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing (I don't know why people hate it so much) The Human characters are probably the best they've been, I couldn't care less about the NatDex or Animations. The foundations built with this game are more important than the game itself arguably, the 2 DLC's were already fantastic and what they can do with the same 3 year dev time with the same engine could be spectacular.
Dynamaxing's issue is it's just horribly unbalanced and unfun.

Gamefreak keeps taking strides to make getting into competitive easier and easier each game, which is frankly amazing, but the caveat is they always throw in a gimmick which makes things contentious.

Mega Evolutions were balanced around the concept that you could only use 1 per fight, and you had to give up hold items, like Choice Band, Choice Specs, etc. They were very powerful yes, but once your Mega Pokemon was gone, it was gone, and the Mega Pokemon would also have to forgo things like Choice Items, Pinch Berries, or other hold items of importance. Also, thanks to Team Preview, it was always rather easy determining which Pokemon on your opponent's team was going to be their Mega and strategize how to counter it from that info.

Z-Moves were starting to tip the scales a bit, but again, you could only use one, it took your hold item, AND it was a one and done deal, once you used the move, it was done. Yes, it sucked because you had NO IDEA what opponent's 'Mon had a Z-Crystal, and it sucked that Z-Moves effectively were almost guaranteed one-hit KO moves, but again, it was a one-and-done thing, and if they wasted it, then you were dealing with a Pokemon without a held item, which was going to be easier than normal.

Dynamaxing? Pfffffffffff here, let's double your Pokemon's current health, give them effectively 3 damn turns of Z-Moves, AND said moves usually offer beneficial things, like permanent stat boosts or terrain/weather/entry hazard effects, which cause fights to snowball one way out of control. Oh yeah, and they can hold Choice items without being locked into moves. Dynamaxing takes the bad elements from Z-Moves, and only makes them worse by piling more **** on top of what was already bad. Dynamaxing is a snowball mechanic that is EXTREMELY hard to punish.

Dynamaxing is not a balanced mechanic, at all. If you only care about the spectacle and "Hahaha BIG POKEMON!", then it doesn't apply to you, but see how much you like the mechanic after getting snowballed by it online game after game after game, OR, the flipside is you just snowball opponent game, after game, after game. A mechanic which effectively boils down to "Win more", except it's not just a "Win more, but also a HUGE buff which allows you to snowball", isn't fun.

Imaging that you were playing a FPS, and you had a gun that basically read "Your bullets are one hit KOs, the more KOs you get, the faster you move", does that sound like a fun mechanic? Especially since there are ZERO downsides in this scenario? You just snowball like crazy and crush the enemy before they can even fight back. Yes, your opponent obviously has access to this gun as well, but then it just becomes a race as to who can shut out the other faster, and at that point, is anyone even having fun besides the person snowballing?

When the best counter to Dynamax is "****ing run Imposter Ditto or lose", it speaks volumes as to this mechanic's brokeness.

How do we 'fix' Dynamax...? Well, you can't. It was designed to be a mechanic where 2 Dynamax Pokemon go head to head and duke it out slugfest style, but in its current form, all it does is cause snowballs. You can't force 2 people to Dynamax at the same time, unless the game were to literally make them, which it doesn't, meaning that the original vision behind the idea is more or less lost, and to balance it out where it's not soo blatantly overpowered would basically to just remove it from the game entirely.

Your HP should NOT double. Why is this even a thing. Not only does it screw with predictions from your opponent that they for all intents and purposes, earned, it basically turns Pokemon into unkillable tanks, which leads into problem 2....

You should NOT get 3 turns of basically "I win" buttons. 3 turns of moves that can basically 100-0 non-Dynamax Pokemon is ridiculous. Pokemon is already a fairly fast game, but if Z-Moves were balanced around 1 time, 1 use, who thought it'd be okay to have it 3 turns, 3 times?

And said "I win" buttons should not give you game-altering conditions like terrain/weather or stat buffs, that you get to keep even after the Dynamax ends.

Also, why does Dynamaxing break Choice Item locks? Why yes, I'd like my Pokemon that was previously locked into one move that my opponent skillfully switched in to counter me to suddenly OHKO my opponent's smart switch in because Dynamax doesn't give a damn about your Choice Lock.

It's just a failed mechanic that was implemented in a flawed way, leading to arguably the most broken mechanic of all time.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Man, you know what Sony exclusive game I've been eyeing lately but doesn't have a PS4 or 5 and isn't likely to get one because I don't want to get a console for just one game?

Ghost of Tsushima :yoshi:
Second hand PS4 Slim for cheap though? If it's just for a few games.

Still it is a damn great game and robbed of GOTY by TLOU2 cause "oh the world is so sad". Was gonna play it next but decide on Detroit Become Human next which is another great game.

Guys I'm still a little salty about TLOU2 getting GOTY to this day still, it annoys me slightly.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Mamboo: gets spooked

Everyone: "Holy ****."
I didn't go that way...guess I'm a noone
Man, you know what Sony exclusive game I've been eyeing lately but doesn't have a PS4 or 5 and isn't likely to get one because I don't want to get a console for just one game?

Ghost of Tsushima :yoshi:
I expected Spider-Man

Noipoi

Howdy!
Dynamaxing's issue is it's just horribly unbalanced an unfun.

Gamefreak keeps taking strides to make getting into competitive easier and easier each game, which is frankly amazing, but the caveat is they always throw in a gimmick which makes things contentious.

Mega Evolutions were balanced around the concept that you could only use 1 per fight, and you had to give up hold items, like Choice Band, Choice Specs, etc.

Z-Moves were starting to tip the scales a bit, but again, you could only use one, it took your hold item, AND it was a one and done deal, once you used the move, it was done.

Dynamaxing? Pfffffffffff here, let's double your Pokemon's current health, give them effectively 3 damn turns of Z-Moves, AND said moves usually offer beneficial things, like stat boosts or terrain effects, which cause fights to snowball one way out of control. Oh yeah, and they can hold Choice items without being locked into moves.

Dynamaxing is not a balanced mechanic, at all. If you only care about the spectacle and "Hahaha BIG POKEMON!", then it doesn't apply to you, but see how much you like the mechanic after getting snowballed by it online game after game after game, OR, the flipside is you just snowball opponent game, after game, after game. A mechanic which effectively boils down to "Win more", except it's not just a "Win more, but also a HUGE buff which allows you to snowball", isn't fun.
The spectacle of Dynamax is really only cool the first one or two times. After that you’re used to it. The animation of the Pokémon growing is the same, the max move animations are the same, you’re used to it. So as a spectacle, it loses its luster fast. And as a game mechanic, you already explained it’s issues.

Even though I’m annoyed that they constantly introduce new gimmicks and then ditch em, I’m glad Dynamax will most likely not be in the next region.

now let’s just hope the next regions gimmick isn’t even more busted.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This definitely made my day!

An animation project of one of the segments of what was meant to be the final episode of The Angry Beavers but never aired because Nick at that time had a strict rule of shows breaking the 4th wall.

Dutch Raikuna

Thinking about anime now. Tagging the boi Lamperouge Lamperouge and calling other weebs!

So tonight while this madness was happening, I've recommended a friend IRL him eight anime (Netflix only fella) for someone who has only watched Violet Evergarden and One Punch Man.

Angel Beats
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Demon Slayer
Toradora!
Fate/Apocrypha
Steins Gate
Little Witch Academia
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions

All 10 of those wouldn't be a bad starter pack to anime would it? Crunchyroll ****ed over another of my friends (just my luck).

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Tomorrow (maybe depends on if I have time) I’m gonna turn Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony into Pokémon starters.

Should be a fun project.
who gonna choose Microsoft?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Tomorrow (maybe depends on if I have time) I’m gonna turn Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony into Pokémon starters.

Should be a fun project.
Man, if only the three were associated with colors that would coincidentaly line up with the starter types :drsad:

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mega Evolution was cool, Dynamaxing just feel like a lamer version of that.

Should be a fun project.
Sounds really neat. I'm sure it'll turn out cool.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know. A new Killer Instinct and a New PlayStation All-Stars would have made the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 day one buys for me. Same with if Smash had been a launch title for the switch.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Dynamaxing itself was meh but cooperative raid battles were an awesome feature that need to stay.

One thing I'm worried about with Gen 9 is that with the possible removel of dynamax, they'll also not bring back raids. I know that might sound like a silly reason to cut raids but this is GF we're talking about. They wouldn't have tied raid battles so closely to Galar's lore if they were thinking long term about how these features might effect future generations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom