• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Arg. **** that noise. I’m in it for the Jaks and Ratchets and Coopers and Escaping Apes. The Metal that is Twisted and the gods of war. The land Uncharted and the infamous people. The real PlayStation All-Stars.
dissing Peter and Miles in my wholesome timeline?
20210109_181237.jpg

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You know. A new Killer Instinct and a New PlayStation All-Stars would have made the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 day one buys for me. Same with if Smash had been a launch title for the switch.
That's assuming you could even get one day one.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's honestly a shame that Dynamax wasn't the best balanced gameplay-wise. I like most of the designs and honestly I think they were better executed then even Megas in that regard overall, but in terms of gameplay there's no doubting that they're too overpowered in the Singles format and even outside of competitive they're not the most interesting gameplay mechanic to deal with. They definitely could've used some more time in the oven to get the execution better, but what's done is done and more then likely they'll be gone with Gen 9.

I will say that I hope they don't do another battle gimmick with the next generation. After seeing the missteps with the past ones it's clear they need to just take a step back and refine them first before adding more, as their current trend of introducing one and then ditching them almost entirely by the next generation is just leading to half-baked executions of ideas that don't reach their full potential.

Shroob

Sup?
It's honestly a shame that Dynamax wasn't the best balanced gameplay-wise. I like most of the designs and honestly I think they were better executed then even Megas in that regard overall, but in terms of gameplay there's no doubting that they're too overpowered in the Singles format and even outside of competitive they're not the most interesting gameplay mechanic to deal with. They definitely could've used some more time in the oven to get the execution better, but what's done is done and more then likely they'll be gone with Gen 9.

I will say that I hope they don't do another battle gimmick with the next generation. After seeing the missteps with the past ones it's clear they need to just take a step back and refine them first before adding more, as their current trend of introducing one and then ditching them almost entirely by the next generation is just leading to half-baked executions of ideas that don't reach their full potential.
They 'should', but they won't lol.

Double battles stuck around, but you can tell they wanted lightning to strike twice in Gen 5 and made Triple and Rotation Battles, both of which... well, let's be honestly, they flopped.

With Megas, IMO, it was their best idea, it gave old Pokemon a second chance at life and gave fan favorites time in the spotlight with cool new stuff to play with.... but a big issue with Megas is that they tended to give them to already popular Pokemon, which ended up being Pokemon already strong, leading to some being just completely overbearing.

Z-Moves, thankfully, were always going to be an Alola-only thing(Unless they shoehorned in NPCs to give you the Z-Crystals postgame in a future game).... and I say thankfully because my god they were just boring in concept. We went from alternate new form for Pokemon to.... nuke move. Like, ignoring how overpowered Z-Moves were, all they really were in the end was "Big damage", nothing really flashy about them. You press them to delete 1 opponent's Pokemon.

They're just gonna keep adding in gimmicks in the hope that one sticks. Megas were popular, Megas are still used in OTHER games, but for some reason not in the ****ing mainline.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They're just gonna keep adding in gimmicks in the hope that one sticks. Megas were popular, Megas are still used in OTHER games, but for some reason not in the ****ing mainline.
And it sucks because they all take attributes from Mega Evolutions. They should've just kept going with it, ORAS, despite not being that great of a remake, was great at exploring what other ways Pokemon could evolve.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Double battles stuck around, but you can tell they wanted lightning to strike twice in Gen 5 and made Triple and Rotation Battles, both of which... well, let's be honestly, they flopped.

With Megas, IMO, it was their best idea, it gave old Pokemon a second chance at life and gave fan favorites time in the spotlight with cool new stuff to play with.... but a big issue with Megas is that they tended to give them to already popular Pokemon, which ended up being Pokemon already strong, leading to some being just completely overbearing.

Z-Moves, thankfully, were always going to be an Alola-only thing(Unless they shoehorned in NPCs to give you the Z-Crystals postgame in a future game).... and I say thankfully because my god they were just boring in concept. We went from alternate new form for Pokemon to.... nuke move. Like, ignoring how overpowered Z-Moves were, all they really were in the end was "Big damage", nothing really flashy about them. You press them to delete 1 opponent's Pokemon.

They clearly have some awareness that megas are still the most popular gimmick, seeing as how they’re still in other media.

If only they’d make some new ones. And for more obscure Pokémon, too. We don’t need mega Dragapult, we need mega Dunsparce.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They clearly have some awareness that megas are still the most popular gimmick, seeing as how they’re still in other media.

If only they’d make some new ones. And for more obscure Pokémon, too. We don’t need mega Dragapult, we need mega Dunsparce.
And while they're at it, if a mega evolution can use one ability from its non-mega version, let it use any of them.

#letmegaaudinouseregenerator

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Triple/Rotation Battles disappoint me since I like the concept of them, but they didn't give a lot of exposure to it. With Doubles it became the main format for competitive, they had recurring battles that you can fight around Hoenn, one of the Gym Leaders uses the mechanic, and the Orre games use it as their main means of battle, so it was very easy to get exposed to it and get attached to it. Triple/Rotations? No Gym battles, didn't get adapted to a competitive setting at all (the Subway and PWC used it in terms of post-game facilities, but neither required it), and had no spin-offs that used it until Masters. You were forced to use it once in the story, but other then that it was either relegated to post-game or very easily skipped over optional battles. For as much as they wanted Triples/Rotations to be a new thing after Doubles they didn't do a good job pushing it, and once programming issues popped up with SM it's no surprise they just cut it out entirely.

As for the rest, yeah I agree. Megas was arguably their best executed, but even that had issues due to how they distributed the Megas as well as just general balancing issues with some of them, so it didn't quite reach the peak it should've and didn't get the refining it needed. The rest follow in its footsteps and outside of allowing any Pokemon to use the gimmick, they doubled down on the problems and made the issue worse. They did the opposite of learning from their mistakes and kept repeating them, and since they don't come back as the focus they don't get the refining they need to get better as a concept. It's hard to get attached to Z-Moves or Dynamax when it feels like they're just going to get dumped for the next new thing instead of getting fixed, and it's probably part of the reason why the gimmicks have been seeing less positive reception the more that are introduced.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but you can tell they wanted lightning to strike twice in Gen 5 and made Triple and Rotation Battles, both of which... well, let's be honestly, they flopped.
Seems more like they cut Triple/Rotation Battles in Gen 7 due to the trainer models being rendered, meaning six character models are already being rendered during a Double Battle, and it was already lagging the 3DS.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I understand Gen 7 and 8's "upgrade" attempt from Mega Evolutions, trying to make them inexclusive to certain popular 'mons, however, they ****ing suck and it could've easily just been new additions to the Mega archetypes. You could've literally called Z Moves Mega Moves and nothing of value would be lost on top of being able to make new Megas.

Shroob

Sup?
Seems more like they cut Triple/Rotation Battles in Gen 7 due to the trainer models being rendered, meaning six character models are already being rendered during a Double Battle, and it was already lagging the 3DS.
I mean, there's that too.

Triple Battles and the 3DS were not friends, and Gamefreak was pretty ass at optimizing the game.

Hell, Hoopa Unbound on its own causes the game to drop frames, and you toss in weather effects? I legit saw someone crash ORAS with 6 Hoopa Unbound and a Sandstorm lol.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Z-Moves were a neat concept in my opinion, but man I like mega Pokémon a lot more. It’s a stronger version of a Pokémon with a cool new design, that’s great. Dynamaxing is sorta the same way, but every Pokémon that doesn’t have a unique form just becomes bigger than an ego and not much else design-wise. At the very least it seems that they’re choosing the right Pokémon to give these unique forms to.

Shroob

Sup?
Z-Moves were a neat concept in my opinion, but man I like mega Pokémon a lot more. It’s a stronger version of a Pokémon with a cool new design, that’s great. Dynamaxing is sorta the same way, but every Pokémon that doesn’t have a unique form just becomes bigger than an ego and not much else design-wise. At the very least it seems that they’re choosing the right Pokémon to give these unique forms to.

I mean

All the Gigantimax Pokemon are either:

Gen 1
Gen 8
Or Garbodor

Gens 2-7 got nothing, and **** Melmetal with its ???? number.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean, considering Garbodor is the ONLY non Gen 1 or 8 Mon that got a special form, at this point almost feels like GF themselves want to poke that bear.
That bear is Banjo right?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I mean

All the Gigantimax Pokemon are either:

Gen 1
Gen 8
Or Garbodor

Gens 2-7 got nothing, and **** Melmetal with its ???? number.
It's strange as Z-Moves are the same way, Gen 1 and 7 are the only ones that got the unique ones while everything else had to make due with just the generic moves. It's even stranger since Megas at least threw a bone to the non-Kanto ones and gave Hoenn a huge amount, though then again Kalos got screwed over almost completely as the only ones that got one was Diancie and Greninja (which only happened thanks to the anime writers) so even that didn't get it completely right.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's strange as Z-Moves are the same way, as Gen 1 and 7 are the only ones that got the unique ones while everything else had to make due with just the generic moves. It's even stranger since Megas at least threw a bone to the non-Kanto ones and gave Hoenn a huge amount, though then again Kalos got screwed over almost completely as the only ones that got one was Diancie and Greninja, and the latter only happened thanks to the anime writers requesting it.
Ash-Greninja isn't a mega evolution, it is its own thing entirely.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ash-Greninja isn't a mega evolution, it is its own thing entirely.
It follows the same concept as Megas in terms of being an in-battle form change that adds almost the exact same stat boost, so at the very least I'd consider it a variant of Megas in a similar vein to the Primals or even Mega Rayquaza (who also ditches the item restriction).

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I just ordered a used copy of this game off Amazon. I have zero expectations for it, aside from reading that it was a poor man's Ratchet and Clank. But it was cheap and morbid curiosity got to me.

I need a life.

Hopefully it's at least better then Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets. Not that game was an absolute snore fest which I still 100 percented anyway just to see all the character dialogue.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So I just ordered a used copy of this game off Amazon. I have zero expectations for it, aside from reading that it was a poor man's Ratchet and Clank. But it was cheap and morbid curiosity got to me.

I need a life.

Hopefully it's at least better then Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets. Not that game was an absolute snore fest which I still 100 percented anyway just to see all the character dialogue.
Oh hey, I used to own this game. I don’t remember much about it, but “Poor man’s Ratched & Clank” sounds about right.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom