• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Watched Turning Red that was on Disney+ last night and overall, I really enjoyed it.

In addition to the talented voice casts and performances from Rosalie Chiang and Sandra Oh, I really liked the fact that the story and characters are very well crafted and there were certainly anime influences and inspirations and throughout the entire film. I also noticed several references associated with a lot of aspects in its culture that I do recognise for example, Boba Tea drinks and the food etc as well as from the 2000's era. The soundtrack was also the other aspect I enjoyed in which Ludwig Goransson as well as the songs written by Billie Ellish and Finneas O'Connell were rathy catchy and certainly captures the vibe of 2000's era style music.

Overall, this is certainly not just a new step forward in terms of direction for Pixar, but it is also another step forward for Asian representation.

Overall Rating: 9/10

It already feels weird that people are freaking the **** out about depicting teenage girls doing things completely normal for teenage girls but I have a gut feeling race is a thing too cause like, every Disney movie has kids disobey their parents and only now is it a problem
This isn't exactly the first time I've seen a Disney film that had kids disobey their parents. Had they not watched the likes of the Lion King, the Incredibles, Mulan etc?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Watched Turning Red that was on Disney+ last night and overall, I really enjoyed it.

In addition to the talented voice casts and performances from Rosalie Chiang and Sandra Oh, I really liked the fact that the story and characters are very well crafted and there were certainly anime influences and inspirations and throughout the entire film. I also noticed several references associated with a lot of aspects in its culture that I do recognise for example, Boba Tea drinks and the food etc as well as from the 2000's era. The soundtrack was also the other aspect I enjoyed in which Ludwig Goransson as well as the songs written by Billie Ellish and Finneas O'Connell were rathy catchy and certainly captures the vibe of 2000's era style music.

Overall, this is certainly not just a new step forward in terms of direction for Pixar, but it is also another step forward for Asian representation.

Overall Rating: 9/10

This isn't exactly the first time I've seen a Disney film that had kids disobey their parents. Had they not watched the likes of the Lion King, the Incredibles, Mulan etc?
Yeah that's my point, the only time disobeying is deemed bad by The Parents is about a teenage Asian America girl

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
On the current topic, watched Turning Red, myself. Solid film.

Between this and Luca, Pixar's film's have started to get into more indie-esque territory and I'm all for it.

Director Domee Shi (who also holds the elusive honor of the first solo female director in Pixar history) has a really unique style and I'm really excited to see her future projects.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It already feels weird that people are freaking the **** out about depicting teenage girls doing things completely normal for teenage girls but I have a gut feeling race is a thing too cause like, every Disney movie has kids disobey their parents and only now is it a problem
From a RT audience review
20220314_094102.jpg

osby

Smash Obsessed
DAILY DEMON SHOWCASE

This showcase's demon is of the Drake race:

1647269178808.png

“ME DRAKE NIDHOGGR! ME EAT AND SWALLOW AND GNAW AND DEVOUR AND BITE AND CHEW!”

Alignment: Dark-Chaos

Origin: Nordic mythology. A dragon or snake whose name means “one who burns with rage” and lives in Niflheim. With many other serpents, it continually gnaws at the roots of the world tree Yggdrasil, tipping the balance of the world toward darkness. It’s rivaled by Hraesvelgr, the great eagle who lives at the top of the tree. Nidhoggr and Hraesvelgr are destined to eat the souls of all who’ll die at Ragnarok.

Skills: Toxic Cloud, Matarunda, Eat Whole, Light Block

Next time, you will meet a demon of the Fallen race.

Only SMT would look at Nidhoggr and make him a giant blind mole snake centipede. This look is perfect for a giant dragon who does nothing but chew roots in icy darkness and listen to a squirrel tell it the latest gossip about the bird it hates so much. Although it has a few 3D playable roles under its belt, Nidhoggr just stopped taking part in those games.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
At the risk of sounding mad racist, i feel like most but not all the people complaining about turning red are white and feel it doesn't connect with them because they didn't have to deal with generational trama like most minorities
Relevant

Jondolio

Smash Hero
At the risk of sounding mad racist, i feel like most but not all the people complaining about turning red are white and feel it doesn't connect with them because they didn't have to deal with generational trama like most minorities
I'd like to specify that it's probably White Christians and other white people who come from that background specifically

We Jews have plenty of generational trauma

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Actor or Actress from WOWP (2010) "Hey?"

Shrek in a calm approach "You gett outt and you stay out."

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's something off about the Turning Red hate.

Sexism definitely has a lot to do with it, but as people have mentioned this isn't the first time a female Disney character disobeyed her parents.

Racism definitely has a lot to do with it as well, but it can't be just that either since Mulan is a thing. (Then again, I feel like people would be fuming over Mulan if it came out today, so maybe Covid has something to do with it.)

...I haven't watched it yet - I plan on watching it today - but I wonder if it's because of how unapologetic about its themes it is. I mean look at how much of a fuss people are throwing over the pads. It's clearly a film out to make a statement and tackle the way we look at teenagers and the way we look at woman, and a lot of conservative families really won't like that.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
There's something off about the Turning Red hate.

Sexism definitely has a lot to do with it, but as people have mentioned this isn't the first time a female Disney character disobeyed her parents.

Racism definitely has a lot to do with it as well, but it can't be just that either since Mulan is a thing. (Then again, I feel like people would be fuming over Mulan if it came out today, so maybe Covid has something to do with it.)

...I haven't watched it yet - I plan on watching it today - but I wonder if it's because of how unapologetic about its themes it is. I mean look at how much of a fuss people are throwing over the pads. It's clearly a film out to make a statement and tackle the way we look at teenagers and the way we look at woman, and a lot of conservative families really won't like that.
It's a mix of sexism, racism, and authoritarian white Christian parents

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Also for the record, I have little to no interest in Turning Red, but I feel like parents who complain about movies like these are the reason why we get so many mediocre films that are designed to be digestable to white americans and I find that quite distasteful. Eventually all movies are just gonna be one of 5 variations of the same movie because white Christians can't handle a story that's not about them.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Also for the record, I have little to no interest in Turning Red, but I feel like parents who complain about movies like these are the reason why we get so many mediocre films that are designed to be digestable to white americans and I find that quite distasteful. Eventually all movies are just gonna be one of 5 variations of the same movie because white Christians can't handle a story that's not about them.
If anything, movie makers should not submit to those people. Those people don't even make the movies, and they do not seem to know what makes a good movie. I would stop listening to such people if I were the movie makers.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I too am not the target audiemce for Turning Red, but I can appreciate the themes and messages the movie has. But seeing how people want **** to be sterile for kids doesn't bode well with me.

Like, if "finding yourself" and teaching kids about puberty, hormones, and periods is wrong and not family friendly, then I do fear for the kids of those parents.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
If anything, movie makers should not submit to those people. Those people don't even make the movies, and they do not seem to know what makes a good movie. I would stop listening to such people if I were the movie makers.
Unfortunately producers are interested in "broadening their movies' appeals" which translates into making the blandest and safest representations of cultures that aren't white

I haven't watched Raya and the Last Dragon but from what I understand it really suffers from that

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Unfortunately producers are interested in "broadening their movies' appeals" which translates into making the blandest and safest representations of cultures that aren't white

I haven't watched Raya and the Last Dragon but from what I understand it really suffers from that
People are just too afraid to take risks. It can be good to take risks. If it were just the white Christians who just complained, I would ignore them. It is not like they are that smart, anyway. (No offense to any white Christians here, who may be an exception).

Why should they let the white Christians control the movie industry, anyway?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's a mix of sexism, racism, and authoritarian white Christian parents
Well if that's the group you're angering with your film you know you did something right.
Eventually all movies are just gonna be one of 5 variations of the same movie because white Christians can't handle a story that's not about them.
You could make the statement that Hollywood is already mostly like that, and has been for a long while. And now that we're seeing more minorities break into the industry people are starting to get mad.

I think it's inevitable movies from more diverse voices are going to slowly become more of the norm, but there's going to be a lot of pushback.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well if that's the group you're angering with your film you know you did something right.

You could make the statement that Hollywood is already mostly like that, and has been for a long while. And now that we're seeing more minorities break into the industry people are starting to get mad.

I think it's inevitable movies from more diverse voices are going to slowly become more of the norm, but there's going to be a lot of pushback.
How odd. There may be white Christians who aren't racist that might say they are for racial equality, and tolerate other races...

But yet they do not seem to know much about their cultures or things out side their culture. They truly are for boring movies, huh?

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm just waiting for the Jewish generational trauma movie. Can't wait for Disney to throw a bunch of Yiddish words into the dialogue in the cringiest way possible

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Frankly, I don't think I'll ever understand these gripes with Turning Red. The movie isn't saying "Aw yeah, disobeying your parents is rad!" It's just saying that it's fine to be your own individual; You don't need to be controlled by your parents. Which frankly, I think is a very good message for kids with parents who assume the role of some sort of "authoritarian figure."

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Parents. So sensitive nowadays.

If 90s shows like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life were being made today, guarantee they today couldn't get past without parents complaining.

How times have changed apparently...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
All this talk about authoritarian Christian parents has me thinking about how weird my family life is.

Like both my parents are mostly liberal and agnostic, but they had really conservative Christian parents and it really reflected in how I was raised. And their parenting styles were wildly authoritarian sometimes even though they constantly sung their own praises about how "fair" they were just because they weren't as bad as their own parents.

Ugh. I feel like they'd be the types of people who'd enjoy the movie but would miss the point and take home the wrong message from it. That's how they were with Inside Out and boy did they miss the point of Up.

How odd. There may be white Christians who aren't racist that might say they are for racial equality, and tolerate other races...

But yet they do not seem to know much about their cultures or things out side their culture. They truly are for boring movies, huh?
It's not necessarily "white Christians" who are the problem but rather the "overly conservative white Christians clinging onto old racist/sexist values", which are unfortunately far too common in the US.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
All this talk about authoritarian Christian parents has me thinking about how weird my family life is.

Like both my parents are mostly liberal and agnostic, but they had really conservative Christian parents and it really reflected in how I was raised. And their parenting styles were wildly authoritarian sometimes even though they constantly sung their own praises about how "fair" they were just because they weren't as bad as their own parents.

Ugh. I feel like they'd be the types of people who'd enjoy the movie but would miss the point and take home the wrong message from it. That's how they were with Inside Out and boy did they miss the point of Up.

It's not necessarily "white Christians" who are the problem but rather the "overly conservative white Christians clinging onto old racist/sexist values", which are unfortunately far too common in the US.
Yeah, I knew that. Just didn't remember that well for a second.

But if I had to say something, these kinds of people are ruining the movie industry, especially for people other than themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom