• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This is making me think of how hard it's going to be to play as Sora in smash in like 10 years.

Like, smash 4's DLC has basically been preserved in Smash ultimate base game, but what about Ultimate's DLC?
Mfw funny ness skeleton is lost to time
tdnxekgzh9h21.jpg

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well, today's news suck. At least I already got a large fraction of what I really want. Going to need to buy some DLC and Wii games from 3DS & Wii U.

I guess I'll also mod my 3DS for homebrew and such.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Seriously though the 3DS is probably my favorite console

Not only does it have a fantastic library but the thing that puts it over the switch for me is the personality of the system with things like themes and badges.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Oh man, 3DS game prices are gonna rise like crazy. I’m gonna have to buy another SD card so I can get all the games I want by March. Hopefully I’ll be able to find some physical copies of some titles.

The 3DS has always been my favorite console, it really sucks to see it go.

And losing the Virtual Console on Wii U also bites. Though I already have most of the Wii U games I want.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Good Morning My Gamers

Pretty miffed about the news of the 3DS and Wii U eShop shutting down. Those were my first systems and I still buy games from them from time to time. I bought most of what I wanted from the 3DS eShop but the Wii U has so many VC games I wanted to play and have a limited time to buy. I might get the N64 and Wii stuff and emulate everything else

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
apparently, on their Q&A, Nintendo had an answer regarding their old games being preserved:

This was removed from their website, though. I guess they thought it was phrased a bit weird (someone thought it sounded like taunting and tbh it kinda does with the “obligation” thing) and realized people really wouldn’t like it.

Imo this really sucks, but I also don’t play my Wii U and 3DS much anymore (outside of Pokémon on the 3DS, sometimes other games), and I’m unlikely to get anything else from the eShop so I may as well just emulate the few games I still want I suppose (like the 3DS Kirby games; I had Triple Deluxe at least but lost it 😔). I probably would play my Wii U more, but my family’s current house doesn’t really have a good spot for it without switching something out.

It still makes me miffed that Nintendo seems to be aware of the fans’ feedback regarding this yet they seem perfectly content with not listening and not competing with emulation, but oh well, that’s just how it is with out of touch companies, and while it bugs me I’m not really all that mad or anything.

also I hope they at least put the Pokémon GB/GBC games on Switch.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I never realized that FE Fates Revelations was physical on the Special Edition release until doing some reading today. I thought the Special Edition only had Birthright/Conquest on it. I guess I was more disinterested in Fates than I thought and got things mixed up with the delayed digital release. Would love to "complete" my collection but I really don't want to pay money for what is otherwise the weakest entry in the series IMO and technically already own.

Starting to realize just how much will be lost when the 3DS eShop goes down. I completely forgot about all of the cool 3D versions of various NES & Genesis games that Nintendo and M2 put out. Yes it's Urban Champion...but in 3D!!!!

Probably also need to add a lot of Capcom VC titles to lists. Stuff like Mega Man V, Mighty Final Fight, and Gargoyles Quest 2 are definitely up there in price. I remember paying $25 for Mighty Final Fight back in 2010. :awesome:

Also if you're in PAL regions make sure to pick up Trip World from the 3DS VC. That's one of the rarest Gameboy games out there by far and sadly is PAL VC only just like the original release. $200+ loose. It's also very unique and a technical showcase for the system

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh yeah i forgot about the 3D classics.
I got the Kid icarus one for free by buying Kid Icarus Uprsing.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
In many ways Nintendo hasn't changed much from their late 80s, monopoly-fuelled mentality of "our way or the highway", seemingly not realizing that in the interceding thirty-five odd years, other means have risen which hinders their ability to enforce the way they once could. And yet they too rarely grasp that that requires them to budge.

Basically they want their cake and to eat it too. Make the back catalogue easier to play, or cheaper to access, and you'll decrease piracy. Or keep it as it is, but be less severe about emulation, because pirates gonna pirate. But they seem to think they can be quite restrictive about their content and yet keep the alternative means to play their products at bay, and people won't be driven to find the methods that best suit them.

That's just one example of many. But it all indicates that it might be time to wake up and join us in the 21st century, Nintendo.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
A head's up- The Wii U Virtual Console release of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 is noteworthy for including all 38 e-Reader levels preloaded (26 of which were originally Japan only).

Said version is available as a GBA ROM as well.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hey M MooMew64 , a new major update as been released for Oneshot: Fading Memory. (aka lots of bug fixes, changed of existing levels & new levels from what I get)

If you're still interested in this mod, figured it was a good thing I warn ya.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
On my new save for Pokemon Legends Arceus, I'm currently Rank 6, and I haven't quelled Kleavor yet.

Gonna see how many stars I can get before I have to progress to get more Pokemon.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I saw the news about the Wii U and 3DS eShops last night - I think I got all of the Wii U games that I'd be interested in (I got a bunch of games a few years ago, figuring that the Wii U's eShop closing wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of advance notice that the Wii's Virtual Console did), though I'll have to look into 3DS games.

In particular, I'm not sure where to start for the Professor Layton series, and I'm not sure which Phoenix Wright games are worth getting beyond the Ace Attorney trilogy.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So I finally completed my coursework..............all except one ****ing formula on Excel. Outside of online stuff, today I can breathe and just play Genshin and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn.

I'll make a personal list of stuff to recommend on 3DS eShop with the news as well.

In many ways Nintendo hasn't changed much from their late 80s, monopoly-fuelled mentality of "our way or the highway", seemingly not realizing that in the interceding thirty-five odd years, other means have risen which hinders their ability to enforce the way they once could. And yet they too rarely grasp that that requires them to budge.

Basically they want their cake and to eat it too. Make the back catalogue easier to play, or cheaper to access, and you'll decrease piracy. Or keep it as it is, but be less severe about emulation, because pirates gonna pirate. But they seem to think they can be quite restrictive about their content and yet keep the alternative means to play their products at bay, and people won't be driven to find the methods that best suit them.

That's just one example of many. But it all indicates that it might be time to wake up and join us in the 21st century, Nintendo.
You say that about almost every Japanese company honestly regardless of media. Anime companies think they can fully control and go after piracy (even with the news of an anti anime-piracy coalition being with companies from Japan, China, US and stuff to fully crackdown) and companies like Nintendo of a similar cloth.
It sucks to hell.

"Piracy is a service problem" - Gabe Newell.

However I fall into this two hours of anger twice a week so I want to leave it for today.

Nintendo looking at the free money at the table
View attachment 345291
"You telling me making it EASIER for customer to access OUR content will result in MORE SALES????"

"Bull..................................................****!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Nintendo's CEOs.

Hot off the meme presses

View attachment 345313
I love this meme.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I looked up a list of Ace Attorney games in chronological order, and from the looks of it, I'm able to play Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright just by having played the Ace Attorney trilogy (I don't need to know anything about Apollo Justice or anything beyond that), so I picked that up. (I also got River City: Knights of Justice since that looked like something new for the series)

I'll have to look into the Layton games and see if there's one on the eShop that I can jump into without knowing anything about the series; I assume that the games are fairly accessible story-wise, but I want to make sure.

I'll double check the Wii U eShop at some point to see if anything stands out, though my gamepad's battery life isn't great, so I'm a bit hesitant about buying anything on the Wii U at the moment. (I know it's possible to replace the battery for the gamepad, but for now, I just keep it on the charger and play using a Wii Remote if that's an option)

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
apparently, on their Q&A, Nintendo had an answer regarding their old games being preserved:

This was removed from their website, though. I guess they thought it was phrased a bit weird (someone thought it sounded like taunting and tbh it kinda does with the “obligation” thing) and realized people really wouldn’t like it.
The funny thing this bit is actually considered by law "destroying creative works of importance" depending on country: Doesn’t Nintendo have an obligation to preserve its classic games by continually making them available for purchase? And them saying no.

And outside of the understandable stuff like government related its not too far from going into a library and destroying books in that same view.

It's why honestly if people were a little smart they could try for a global "softening of language" and changing the views of corporations so its less piracy and more "shared archiving" in these circumstances. I mean politicians do it so why can't they?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Help I have more shinies then I know what to do with.
Somebody stop this madness.

Reactions: Z25

osby

Smash Obsessed
The funny thing this bit is actually considered by law "destroying creative works of importance" depending on country: Doesn’t Nintendo have an obligation to preserve its classic games by continually making them available for purchase? And them saying no.

And outside of the understandable stuff like government related its not too far from going into a library and destroying books in that same view.

It's why honestly if people were a little smart they could try for a global "softening of language" and changing the views of corporations so its less piracy and more "shared archiving" in these circumstances. I mean politicians do it so why can't they?
I mean, I agree that there should be more pressure on corporates to preserve media but forcing private parties to make everything they ever published constantly available to purchase sounds like a legal nightmare. Imagine a printing house to reprint every book the moment it goes out of print. It would be impossible.

Obviously, it's a much different ballgame with digital media but these companies still have to pay for the servers that keep these games available and this can be a significant burden on smaller companies in the long run.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Guess I'll have to give the 3DS eshop another look through before it's too late.

Y'all have any game recommendations? My favorite genres are RPGs, platformers, and fighting games if that helps, although I'm willing to try something beyond those as well.

As for games I already own, I've got:
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Pokemon Omega Ruby
  • Pokemon Sun
  • Bravely Default and Bravely Second
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
  • A Link Between Worlds
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Dragon Ball Fusions
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Kid Icarus Uprising