• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I just want to clarify something about this new trilogy and whatever Star Wars movie releases:

They aren't making any Star Wars movies as succesful as the Force Awakens in terms of money.

The Force Awakens grossed over two billion dollars. It grossed slightly more money than even Infinity War. For context, there are only five movies that have grossed over two billion dollars. Those movies are Infinity War, the Force Awakens, Titanic, Avatar, and Endgame.

Another thing about the Force Awakens was that before it was released, it has been a decade since Revenge of the Sith. What makes this even more impactful is that the prequels weren't solid hitters. The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith were mediocre at best, so technically, the last hard hitting Star Wars movie to come out was the Return of the Jedi, which came out in 1983. So, they had a huge chance to make it huge, and they did.

Considering how the Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker grossed significantly less, I think my point stands.

Also I think you can make a similar case for Infinity War and Endgame, but that is a bit more complex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Sequel star wars films?

I like FA. It is a re-tread of the plot of ANH, but the characters feel authentically written. There's good heart in the film and it's fun, even with a couple flaws.

Last Jedi hasnt aged well for me. They did a few things well, but the flaws are glaring. It needed better execution. Im mixed on it, leaning negative.

Rise was also a film I'm mixed on; leaning negative. While I enjoy the story points they set up, the execution was hit or miss. You can also tell that much of this film was damage control, but I only put a fraction of the blame on Abrams for it, since Johnson plays a large part in such a thing.

Overall, the sequels started hot but finished cold, which is the opposite of the prequels that started cold but finished hot.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As a not huge SW fan, I thought they progressively got worse. Force Awakens was good, Last Jedi was pretty mediocre, Rise of Skywalker was just downright bad IMO. I really liked Solo and Rouge One however.

D

Deleted member

My dad's a huge star wars nerd but I've never really seen the appeal tbh.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just want to clarify something about this new trilogy and whatever Star Wars movie releases:

They aren't making any Star Wars movies as succesful as the Force Awakens in terms of money.

The Force Awakens grossed over two billion dollars. It grossed slightly more money than even Infinity War. For context, there are only five movies that have grossed over two billion dollars. Those movies are Infinity War, the Force Awakens, Titanic, Avatar, and Endgame.

Another thing about the Force Awakens was that before it was released, it has been a decade since Revenge of the Sith. What makes this even more impactful is that the prequels weren't solid hitters. The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith were mediocre at best, so technically, the last hard hitting Star Wars movie to come out was the Return of the Jedi, which came out on 1983. So, they had a huge chance to make it huge, and they did.

Considering how the Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker grossed significantly less, I think my point stands.

Also I think you can make a similar case for Infinity War and Endgame, but that is a bit more complex.
you really can’t, since Endgame went on to surpass Infinity War (and every other movie) in the overall box office, just like how IM3/CW/FFH all made more money than successors without any long breaks needed. Movie wise Star Wars was out the game for nearly a decade (more if ya don’t count Clone Wars) and the MCU movies kept on going without any sort of break for 9 years straight (**** you corona covid for ruining the streak)...and the only movies and shows that released during the Infinity War - Endgame gap were Ant-Man & Wasp, Luke Cage+Iron Fist seasons 2, Daredevil season 3, Punisher season 2, season 2 of Runaways, a majority of Cloak & Dagger, some of AoS season 5, and Captain Marvel

D

Deleted member

you really can’t, since Endgame went on to surpass Infinity War (and every other movie) in the overall box office, just like how IM3/CW/FFH all made more money than successors without any long breaks needed.
That is not what I am saying. What I mean is that you could make a case that the MCU may never reach Infinity War and Endgame levels of money in terms of their movies.

Like, the buildup of Infinity War and Endgame in the MCU movies that came before Infinity War was pretty massive.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That is not what I am saying. What I mean is that you could make a case that the MCU may never reach Infinity War and Endgame levels of money in terms of their movies.

Like, the buildup of Infinity War and Endgame in the MCU movies that came before Infinity War was pretty massive.
if they were to do a Secret Wars type storyline then they could...but at the same time who knows if theaters will still be a thing by that time

D

Deleted member

people ****ing made a mod to remove his cameo from the game in like 30 minutes after the reveal
And these are the same people that accuse leftists of getting "tr*ggered" so easily.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Saying about Star Wars, I think the problem is Disney having it and both Marvel constantly.

I remember when Rise of Skywalker came out and I was thinking "this is a post Infinity War world. Think Star Wars just lost what Marvel gained in it's place." And outside of TV/Jedi Fallen Order, that's what I feel like for the franchise right now. Not the high point. Maybe Rouge One the exception.

The Prequel Trilogy didn't really have as much to compete with when it came out compared to recent years but that's just me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Saying about Star Wars, I think the problem is Disney having it and both Marvel constantly.

I remember when Rise of Skywalker came out and I was thinking "this is a post Infinity War world. Think Star Wars just lost what Marvel gained in it's place." And outside of TV/Jedi Fallen Order, that's what I feel like for the franchise right now. Not the high point. Maybe Rouge One the exception.

The Prequel Trilogy didn't really have as much to compete with when it came out compared to recent years but that's just me.
Good point. I remember when the Force Awakens came out, it blew everyone's mind, and it was sitting high in Disney's throne of movies. Then Infinity War and Endgame said hello, and immediately took Star Wars's seat as king of the Disney movies.

Honestly, I don't see how they could make anything larger than Endgame for a long while, especially with this pandemic.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
OK

I'm gonna be totally honest and say I used almost all of my gold orbs on Mundus.

I didn't use any items BUT I didn't do it legit LEGIT, so some might say i'm not a true GAMER .

However, doing both phase in one go is bull****, and after all the hell I went with this difficulty, I think I deserve to somewhat cheese this boss. (and I say somewhat, since contrary to future game, gold orbs don't make you continue the battle right where you die, but instead serve as checkpoint. Which imo, combined with the fact there isn't a retry option & the game force you to use gold orbs if you die, mean to me that, outside of rank, gold orb don't really cheese battle, they just allow you to go back quickier into where you failed. Like Gold Mode in DMC3, which I wish was in this game)

Brief, now, all I have to do is mission 23 and I be done with this game.

Will try to S rank if I can.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Whilst it is incredibly unlikely any future MCU films will have anywhere near the same level of success and cultural impact of Infinity War or Endgame, the only way I see the MCU declining to the point of irrelevancy is if the next bunch of films ends up being perceived as bad/underwhelming among the audience. Essentially, a situation similar to Game of Thrones Season 8.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Whilst it is incredibly unlikely any future MCU films will have anywhere near the same level of success and cultural impact of Infinity War or Endgame, the only way I see the MCU declining to the point of irrelevancy is if the next bunch of films ends up being perceived as bad/underwhelming among the audience. Essentially, a situation similar to Game of Thrones Season 8.
GoT season 8 is hilarious because it took a massively popular franchise people never stopped talking about and completely killed off the entire ****ing fanbase in one fell swoop

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
So you're saying if they make everything Thor: The Dark World?

D

Deleted member

I never said that the MCU would decline and then rot, that won't happen in forever.

What I am saying is that it is quite unlikely that we will see a MCU film as succesful as Infinity War and Endgame in a long, long time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In all honestly the last MCU film I really cared for was Doctor Strange, bias wise it'd be Guardians 2.

The only two I look forward to at this point is Doctor Strange 2 and Guardians 3. I wouldn't care any less about the others. Endgame IMO was honestly a total letdown.
Especially the treatment of Thanos where they kill off his current-self 15 minutes into the movie and brings in his past-self.

Pretty much burnt out by them due to the formula notably its humor (Pre-Avengers was the right balance and the over excess of it only worked for the Guardians movies due to its campy style and nature) they just keep using to the point they pretty much feel the same and basically could just be seen as long episodes to a series rather than movies.

As for the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. Wasn't needed, pretty much made the ending of Return of the Jedi pointless.

Those are just my opinions and will leave it as that. Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
OK, finished the last mission with a S rank & finished DMC1 on DMD once and for all.

Annnnnnnnd tbh.....I kinda feel....OK I guess?

Like contrary to Vergil 3, Mundus, while cool, didn't felt like a challenge I wanted to overcome after everything I faced beforehand, like at that point, I just wanted to be done with it & call it a day. Mostly for the fact that DMC1, while a great game on alot of aspects, as alot of little & big problems that stack on top of each other that ruin some moments. Like the camera (good lord, I thought DMC3 camera was meh at time) & the environement being awkward to fight some enemies.

Also, contrary one might think, DMC1 is a very defensive game, like on your first time playing the game & especially on DMD, due to Dante limited moveset, you're better off waiting the enemies doing at attack & react in the best way you can, like you cant rush bosses or make mistakes, you gotta play their game. While it's also true for DMC3, that game, once you got everything, there was moment where you could switch somewhat switch up your way to deal with some fights, going nuts once you find a opening & then comeback to a more defensive position thanks to trickster or Royal Guard (I know OG DMC3 don't allow you to switch mid-fight unlike the switch version, but still, you could have a style that was better for so and so enemy/boss, instead of having to rely on your dodge & jump at all time).

In DMC1, alot of the time, you got to stick to 1 strategy that is effective & do it VERY well, otherwise you're going to get ****. (Griffon 2 is a good exemple of that) And it's really draining to have to use a gold orb & lost a good rank, or redo the entire missions if you want to do better overall. (which I did alot because man, despite all i'm saying, this game is fuuuuuuuuuun, like really fun on a good day). Also, enemies going DT is almost always a death sentence on DMD, especially if they come in a way & the only exception if there already almost dead. 'cuz they just have too much health & are very hard to knock off the ground.

Like some missions are reset worthy if you don't kill the enemies in time, and that just suck. In 3, while it was very hard, you could still defeat alot if not all enemies even if they got DT, you just had to be more careful & think of your options, but in 1, naaaah.

All to say is, Nelo 3, Griffon 3 & Nightmare 3, while hard as ball & rage inducing, made me all feel more into learning their pattern & overcome them fair game, than Mundus & his dumb shooter section (and the fact there's lots of them in Bayonetta kinda kill my motivation to play those games lol, or atleast, on hard mode) and the RNG on his second phase. (and for those asking, I just used the trick of Phantom 3 falling 5 times on the floor glasses so that he died in a cutscene, no, I don't feel ashame)

Super Dante & Sparda costume being lock on new savefile also suck alot too, like I want to use the file where I beated the game dang it, and not being replay missions after you beat them in any order also stink alot.

It suck I have to end this journey on a whimper, especially after the rush of emotions that was Nightmare 3, but let it be clear that despite it & all, DMC1 was still really fun, and if it wasn't, I wouldn't have played the game on DMD at all. So if you ever get the chance, give it a try. Just, be ready for some janky stuff at time.

That all said, next plan?......was thinking of doing DMD with Vergil in 3, just 'cuz I want playable Nelo Angelo without worrying about DT.

don't know if it suck and if i'm going to have a very hard time coming back to 3, but in all cases, wish me good luck!

Until then

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Iron Man 3 was good you guys just hate Iron Man dealing with his issues and the most creative twist the MCU franchise ever had
I actually liked Tony having to overcome his PTSD but I wish the writers did a lot more with it.

And I'm sorry but I actually wanted to see a more faithful adaptation of the Mandarin so that plot twist kinda blew for me, especially since the character of Aldrich Killian did nothing for me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In other news, what y'all planning to watch for Christmas movies this year?

As usual, I'll be watching Krampus and Elf.

Gonna also try to find some others I haven't see before but those two will pretty much be my traditional Christmas films every year as Sleepy Hollow will be from then on when it comes to Halloween.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
In other news, what y'all planning to watch for Christmas movies this year?

As usual, I'll be watching Krampus and Elf.

Gonna also try to find some others I haven't see before but those two will pretty much be my traditional Christmas films every year as Sleepy Hollow will be from then on when it comes to Halloween.
Well, Christmas Vacation and Elf are tradition at this point but I might try to fit in It's a Wonderful Life as well.

And games wise, I'll be playing Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I actually liked Tony having to overcome his PTSD but I wish the writers did a lot more with it.

And I'm sorry but I actually wanted to see a more faithful adaptation of the Mandarin so that plot twist kinda blew for me, especially since the character of Aldrich Killian did nothing for me.
Killian sucked ass and exists solely because of sexism but the Mandarin's always been canon in the MCU. I swear, I'm the only person on this ****ing website to know about All Hail The King

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
GoT season 8 is hilarious because it took a massively popular franchise people never stopped talking about and completely killed off the entire ****ing fanbase in one fell swoop
Truly an achievement in mismanagement. If you told someone 5 years ago that Game of Thrones end up fading like it did, no-one would believe you.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Killian sucked ass and exists solely because of sexism but the Mandarin's always been canon in the MCU. I swear, I'm the only person on this ****ing website to know about All Hail The King
Oh no, I'm aware of that short as well and I'm interested to see a more proper Mandarin (hopefully) in Shang-Chi.

I just really wanted to see him and Iron Man square off but that's never going to happen now.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Also I forgot to mention, but Arkham, Geryon AKA Time Horse, The 3 Hearts & the......insect boss in mission....4 I think?

Are like the worst boss in DMC3, because they force you to rely on 1 strategy that isn't very fun, if at all to beat them effectively, because those boss remove or make some of your options basically not worth in the slightest. (Arhkam being the worst offender 'cuz he litteraly remove your DT & ability to use any styles that isn't calling Vergil, forcing you to run in circle & dodge & shoot until he die)

Think that's why I didn't enjoy Mundus first phase much, aswell as bosses like Griffon 2 & Nightmare 1, their area suck balls & have some of the worst camera in the game. Griffon 2 especially could have been much higher on the list of bad DMC boss, if it wasn't for the fact there's a way to defeat him easily.....if you have some luck & know what you're doing.

All to say is, i'm not looking forward to The Savior, if I ever get the chance to play 4.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh no, I'm aware of that short as well and I'm interested to see a more proper Mandarin (hopefully) in Shang-Chi.

I just really wanted to see him and Iron Man square off but that's never going to happen now.
Ok that's more fair than literally every other time I've seen that criticized.

Also I swear Mandarin was flat out confirmed for Shang-Chi

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Ok that's more fair than literally every other time I've seen that criticized.

Also I swear Mandarin was flat out confirmed for Shang-Chi
He was.

I'm just tempering my expectations until I see how they actually handled him this time lol.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I went on an MCU binge earlier this year, and I enjoyed Iron Man 3. It helps that, since I never read the comics, I had no idea who the Mandarin was and didn't mind the twist.

I have to imagine that one of the "What If?..."s is going to be "what if it was the real Mandarin".

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Honestly I really like the Star Wars movies all of them (except for Attack Of The Clones even then that has Jango fett and Phantom Menace but that has Darth Maul so it isn't all terrible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom