• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerCage

Smash Master
My thoughts on Sequel Trilogy

The Force Awakens - aka A New Hope except with :ultdaisy::ultridley: instead of :ultjoker:...it played it pretty safe so not much to fault the film on as a result, but it was enjoyable
The Last Jedi - A bloody hot mess. When you realize that the whole Finn and Rose subplot was pretty much pointless, simply because Holdo was an idiot. And a lot of very questionable moments such as Leia's 'non-death'...cinematically it was gorgeous but there was a lot
Rise Of Skywalker - Very obvious damage Control for The Last Jedi, with that in mind it wasn't as bad, seeing as it could've turned out a heck of a lot worse, still several questionable moments, but was bogged down by its predecessor

Overall, the sequel trilogy was just disappointing...Solo was eh, Rogue One was probably the most enjoyable recent Star Wars film minus the CGI humans
Sequel star wars films?

I like FA. It is a re-tread of the plot of ANH, but the characters feel authentically written. There's good heart in the film and it's fun, even with a couple flaws.

Last Jedi hasnt aged well for me. They did a few things well, but the flaws are glaring. It needed better execution. Im mixed on it, leaning negative.

Rise was also a film I'm mixed on; leaning negative. While I enjoy the story points they set up, the execution was hit or miss. You can also tell that much of this film was damage control, but I only put a fraction of the blame on Abrams for it, since Johnson plays a large part in such a thing.

Overall, the sequels started hot but finished cold, which is the opposite of the prequels that started cold but finished hot.
As a not huge SW fan, I thought they progressively got worse. Force Awakens was good, Last Jedi was pretty mediocre, Rise of Skywalker was just downright bad IMO. I really liked Solo and Rouge One however.
You guys summed up my thoughts on the Disney Star Wars movies.
Out of the Sequel trilogy, TFA despite very safe was a good movie; it only falls apart when considering the other two.
I thought TLJ was good at the time though the film has soured VERY BADLY, especially because it killed all of the interesting plot threads TFA sets up.
RoS is only bad because of TLJ; it could have been a lot worse.
In other news, what y'all planning to watch for Christmas movies this year?

As usual, I'll be watching Krampus and Elf.

Gonna also try to find some others I haven't see before but those two will pretty much be my traditional Christmas films every year as Sleepy Hollow will be from then on when it comes to Halloween.
Probably going to rewatch The Muppet Christmas Carol.

MAYBE Die Hard.
Ok, hear me out: Enough with the ****ing cinematic universes.

Just because Marvel struck gold doesn't mean every other franchise has to do a cinematic universe. It's so annoying because these studios just want to cash in a trend without the extensive planning nor quality that the MCU has.
The only other cinematic universe that worked was the Monsterverse featuring Godzilla and King Kong and even KOTM under-preformed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No way we're getting a Smash cinematic universe.

Obtaining all the rights sounds like too much of a hassle for an entire cinematic universe.
They could just stick to the Nintendo properties.
The only other cinematic universe that worked was the Monsterverse featuring Godzilla and King Kong and even KOTM under-preformed.
Honestly, that's more of a shared universe than a cinematic universe. Now if they at some chance featured Gamera then it'd be cinematic.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
They could just stick to the Nintendo properties.

Honestly, that's more of a shared universe than a cinematic universe. Now if they at some chance featured Gamera then it'd be cinematic.
You realise cinematic just refers to the medium right?

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
For people wanting a shared universe for Smash, what do humans look like?
:ultvillager::ultmario::ultzss:

The answer is that they literally all clash too damn hard for a shared universe
Eh, they could probably explain that away as different genetics. (there are way bigger obstacles to this hypothetical Nintendo Cinematic Universe)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I also imagine a potential Smash Cinematic Universe setting kind of looking like what we saw in the SSE. Basically, a mix of Nintendo franchises worlds put together.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The whole thing abiut movies is that it's all about immersion, since audiences can't interact with it, all they have is the visual and audio specticale of the screen.

Smash is one of the least immersive game ever made. The only way they could pull something off is if the pulled a Subspace and gave everyone realistic artstyles with no dialouge at all. Or CGI'd it all, but even then you still got people like G&W and Minecraft Steve.

What may look good for a 5 minute trailer or a frantic fighting game may not look good for a 2 hour movie

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Nintendo's one of the companies that's worst for a Cinematic Universe, for the reasons previously stated. I'd like to see good Nintendo movies, but tying them all togeter would be tough.

That's why I think a Capcom universe would work. Except for Mega Man Classic, all their big series have realistic humans (and they could just do movies based on the X series to fix that).

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Just finished Rambo: Last Blood.

For a movie that was roughly 90 minutes long, it sure felt like it dragged on. The violence was also a bit overdone and borderline cartoonish.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm so sorry man that you had to sit through that...
I mean, I didn't have to; I just put it on because I was bored and I remembered enjoying the first Rambo movie at least, so why not? That time definitely could've been spent better elsewhere, though.

For the record, I didn't hate it or anything...but it won't be a movie that I revisit lol.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, I didn't have to; I just put it on because I was bored and I remembered enjoying the first Rambo movie at least, so why not? That time definitely could've been spent better elsewhere, though.

For the record, I didn't hate it or anything...but it won't be a movie that I revisit lol.
Well without going on a rant. In all honestly, I think this film would have been much better if it was like a 30-minute short.

Spoiled in case.

The same premise only Rambo succeeds in saving his niece.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Kid Icarus, Bayonetta, Persona 5, Animal Crossing, Kirby, and probably another franchise all know what Smash Bros is...knowing it is either somewhat or fully canon to their games...so if they ever did a non gaming Smash media thing they can easily base it off of that fact.

Maybe Pit, Bayonetta, Ren Amamiya, Isabelle, and Kirby are all apart of their own version of thr Illuminati and makes sure the current form of Smash continues to be the way it is

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

The last one has a slight typo in the name, saying Monsters, but I have to go an extra mile to re-setup the image, so, eh. I'm having a small issue with the exact options for backgrounds. I might just do a new set of images, and throw in easy backgrounds or something for each one. Based upon their attribute or something. Light Green for Wind, Dark Green for Spell, etc.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Bring back universal parrying from Third Strike.
I thought about that. Wasn't sure if it was too alienating for casuals or not. Maybe on lower difficulty AI fights the computer is programed not to do it? I don't know. I'm all for bringing it back. Just don't want to leave anyone out.

I have two other ideas I'm kicking around that I'm not sure about. SFxT's tag system being brought back, but as an alternate mode of play like in MK9, and one button super moves. What do you think about these?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I thought about that. Wasn't sure if it was too alienating for casuals or not. Maybe on lower difficulty AI fights the computer is programed not to do it? I don't know. I'm all for bringing it back. Just don't want to leave anyone out.

I have two other ideas I'm kicking around that I'm not sure about. SFxT's tag system being brought back, but as an alternate mode of play like in MK9, and one button super moves. What do you think about these?
I haven't played or seen much of SFxT so I don't have much of an opinion on that, but one button super moves sound fine. Makes it easier for casuals to jump in and maybe you could even offer slightly stronger versions for people who know the inputs.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I haven't played or seen much of SFxT so I don't have much of an opinion on that, but one button super moves sound fine. Makes it easier for casuals to jump in and maybe you could even offer slightly stronger versions for people who know the inputs.
Yeah! Like Smash! That makes a lot of sense! I think I'll do it that way.

What about SFV's V-Skill/V-Trigger system? Should that come back?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, I'm probably about to spend several hours typing this ***** but I don't care: here it is, my masterpiece, what's going to probably become my biggest post on this site - my Super Awesome And Cool And Epic MvC4 Concept 2.0.

Note: I'll be referencing the recent Capcom leaks a few times throughout this post so if you don't wanna get spoiled on anything that came out of that, it's best if you back off or at least tread very carefully.

So.

Marvel vs. Capcom.

Marvel vs. ****ing Capcom.

To say that people really, really like this series would be an understatement. Seeing all these crazy matchups between one of the biggest and most varied franchise libraries in gaming and an entire universe of famous and beloved superheroes and villains facing off in balls-to-the-walls air combo action is a premise that simply tickles a lot of people (myself included)'s fancy. Especially in recent years, where people are looking for a new game more than ever after Infinite left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, Disney bought Fox, and one recent thing in particular worth mentioning - the Arcade 1up rereleases showing that Marvel and Capcom don't seem to be on terrible terms. More than ever the million-dollar question that's persisted for years is being uttered: when's Mahvel?

Frankly, it's very hard to be sure at this point: there was nothing MvC-related in the beeg Capcom schedule that leaked through the ransomware attacks, but some other leaked projects weren't on the schedule, so who knows? FilipinoChamp, someone who used to be quite close to Capcom, spilled the beans a few months ago that SF6 and Mahvel 4 were apparently in development, and we've now gotten all but official confirmation that SF6 is indeed in the works, so who knows? Regardless, we kinda need a new Mahvel right now.

So let us picture a fantasy world: no legal bull**** to go through, no blacklisted-from-appearing-for-whatever-reason characters, and we're given the keys to make the next installment in the MvC series. What happens?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, here's what I'd do at least...

(sidenote you can call it MvC5 if you want to I really couldn't care less)
Before we get into the real meat of things, I feel like something important to answer is what the actual ever-loving **** do we do with the presentation? Cause 3 and Infinite were pretty much on opposite extremes of the spectrum with regards to that. I was originally thinking "oh lmao just do MvC3 and that's it". Buuuuuut after thinking it over, I think we could benefit from another visual overhaul.

So what I was thinking is you take Infinite, make it more colorful and comic book-y again but get rid of all the harsh black shadows and outlines in MvC3. Like a smoother-looking take on the comic-book artstyle. Basically, you translate the vibrancy of MvC1's colors to 3D and then you give it a slight comic book edge and I think it'd look pretty good. In terms of the menus, in accordance with the celebration themes I'm elaborating on soon, I'd have them resemble several scenes from MvC2, namely the character select and the "GAME FEATURES" part from the intro.
So, three big important overarching questions here: how am i choosing the characters, which characters am i choosing, and why did i choose each of them?

The reasonings are getting their own section cause it's just that ****ing big, but we can fit the first two in together.

So, as I mentioned earlier, I want this game to have a central theme around it: celebration. The last game caused a divide in the fanbase and made many fans walk away, so how do we win these people back? Simple: we throw a big friggin' party for the entire history of MvC, from Infinite all the way back to Children of the Atom. Not to mention that were this hypothetical game to somehow release in 2021, it'd be just in time for X-Men vs. Street Fighter's 25th...

So, this celebration mindset would mean of course that we gonna have a lotta characters returning. There's still a decent chunk of newcomers though, not to worry.

So basically, I decided to give each side:
-20 characters returning from MvC3 and Infinite
-3 characters returning from MvC2 who haven't appeared in a 3D Mahvel yet
-8 full newcomers

Combining both sides, this would amount to:
-40 MvC3/I veterans
-6 "big comebacks" from Mahvel 2
-16 brand spankin' new jabronis

Which makes for a grand total of 62 *in' characters, surpassing even MvC2. I'm not too sure if this would be a reasonable roster size at launch, but eh, * it.

So here's what you've been waiting for: the character roster!

Marvel
Spider-Man
Green Goblin
Venom
Captain America
Hulk
She-Hulk
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Hawkeye
Scarlet Witch
Ultron
Thor
Loki
Iron Man
Deadpool
Wolverine
Cyclops
Storm
Gambit
Psylocke
Magneto
Star-Lord
Doctor Strange
Shuma-Gorath
Daredevil
Ghost Rider
Invisible Woman
Doctor Doom
Blade
Kamala Khan

Capcom
Ryu
Chun-Li
Akuma
Juri
Haggar
Akira Kazama
Mega Man
Zero
Tron Bonne
Morrigan
Felicia
Talbain
Jedah
Dante
Lady
Vergil
Jill
Leon
Wesker
Phoenix Wright
Jin Saotome
Arthur
Nina
Falcon
Amaterasu
Strider
Monster Hunter
Frank West
Asura
Captain Commando
Viewtiful Joe
Sit down for this one, stinkymen, it gon take a long time

Marvel Veterans
-First things first, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Cap, Hulk and Thor are the no-brainiest of no-brainers. All of them absolutely huge Marvel stars

-Wolverine is, of course, making his grand return, another huge part of the Marvel universe. Storm isn't too far behind either so she gets in too

-Magneto is both a competitive darling and one of the biggest Marvel villains ever, of ****ing course he's staying

-Deadpool is crazy popular and by far one of the most unique characters to have ever graced an MvC game in terms of personality and flair so he stays

-Doom is basically copy-and-paste from why Magneto is returning

-Strange, Carol and T'Challa are all coming back for more or less the same reason: MCU superstars, all of them with unique abilities

-Venom is staying because he's ****ing Venom

-Thanos is staying because he's ****ing Thanos

Now, after these, I kinda hit a brick wall with the remaining "regular" Marvel veterans, as there were none left that really struck me as "oh yeah this one NEEDS to come back". But first off, I decided to add Ghost Rider, purely thanks to bias. As for how the final four came to be (Hawkeye, She-Hulk, Ultron, Shuma-Gorath), I asked for input from a friend of mine who's also a huge MvC nut, he gave me a few suggestions of his, I picked out the 4 I thought would be the best. Hawkeye is just neat, She-Hulk was mainly picked due to her personality, Ultron was actually a pretty neat addition to Infinite who I wouldn't mind seeing come back, and Shuma is hella unique

-Cyclops was picked to return cause of his overall importance to the X-Men and Gambit and Psylocke are coming back due to how they're huge fan-favorites

Marvel Newcomers
-Green Goblin is another one of the biggest Marvel villains ever, the archnemesis of Marvel's biggest character, let's get him in

-Loki is another huge villain definitely worth adding, in no small part thanks to dat MCU exposure

-The other two characters mainly added thanks to the MCU are Scarlet Witch and Star-Lord. Wanda is a super beloved character and has tons of interesting moveset potential, and since both Rocket and Gamora are gone for the time being, Star-Lord will be filling in for the Guardians representation, not to mention that he's, ya know, their leader

-Daredevil is one of the biggest street-level heroes to not have been added, plus he's just generally cool

-Blade was also mainly added just cause he's cool

-Kamala was chosen because people love her and Marvel is also pushing her to hell and back

-I wanted an actual Fantastic Four member on here, and while I intitially toyed with the idea of cramming them all into the same character, I eventually grew hesitant towards the idea of shoving characters more than capable of standing on their own into one slot, even in general. So after that I thought of Reed, but I was worried he could have a bit too much overlap with Kamala, and Sue was kind of the next in line so her it was

Capcom Veterans
-Ryu is Ryu and Chun-Li is Chun-Li

-Akuma has more or less become a Vs. series staple so we kinda have to include him in the celebration game

-Morrigan is another staple, kinda has to be in

-Felicia is hella popular, enough to be one of the few Capcom characters from 2 to actually return for 3

-Jedah is awesome, one of Infinite's biggest highlights and he deserves to be in a better MvC

-Zero and Tron Bonne, both of them very popular Mega Man characters who represent different subseries, get 'em back in here

-Dante is Dante

-Vergil might as well come back too

-Jill is one of the big RE protags, one of the more popular ones as well (sidenote in this game, Jill is her MvC2 self again)

-Wesker is one of the biggest Capcom villains, why the actual hell was he not in Infinite

-Monster Hunter has gotten insanely popular and successful now, so it only makes sense to keep the hunter

-Ace Attorney has always been a notable semi-active series and we now know thanks to the leaks that's it's got a hell of a future ahead of itself so all the more reason to add Phoenix back in

-Strider simply because he's awesome and people love him

-Haggar, Arthur, Ammy, Joe and Frank were all kept more or less for the purpose of expanding the series representation

-Mega Man since he's the most iconic and longest-running incarnation of one of Capcom's flagship characters

-Captain Commando is super cool, so is Jin

Capcom Newcomers
-Juri is one of the more notable new characters created for Street Fighter in recent years and people go absolutely monke for her so throw her in

-Akira and Falcon were added to provide some representation for other classic Capcom fighting game IPs which is something MvC3 didn't expand on like at all. Plus, both of these characters seem to actually have a future now, seeing as Akira is coming to SFV and a Power Stone remake was among the leaked future Capcom projects

-Jon Talbain. Three words: Bruce Lee werewolf. That is all.

-People LOVE Leon and have been asking for him to appear in Mahvel since forever so I think it's time to finally put him in

-Lady's cool, that's really all I have to say

-Breath of Fire has always kinda been underused in Capcom crossovers so that's what Nina is here for

-Asura is one of the biggest Capcom characters to have been created since MvC3 and he seemed like a no-brainer for Infinite but alas, the DLC was cancelled early. But here he is now
Do note that some of the stages are based on settings that have already been used for previous MvCs but their stages in this one are still new designs

Marvel
Avengers Tower
Asgard
Wakanda
Xavier Mansion
Latverian Throne Room
Atlantis
Murderworld
Mephisto's Realm

Capcom
High Roller Casino
Metro City Subway (based on the subway train level from the original Final Fight)
Taiyo High
Wily Castle
Deserted Chateau
Devil May Cry
Baker House
Courtroom

HOLD UP though, cause there's a few unlockable stages with a concept that afaik hasn't really been done yet in Mahvel: legacy stages. They're stages taken from past games and with completely remade graphics and music ala Smash Ultimate or Mario Kart 8. We got one from 1, one from 2, one from UMvC3, and one from the early Vs. games.

Marvel Legacy Stages
Savage Land (X-Men: COTA)
Days of Future Past (UMvC3, updated to replace the characters who have since returned with characters from 3 and Infinite who aren't in this one)

Capcom Legacy Stages
Neo St. Petersburg (MvC1)
The Carnival (MvC2)

Counting the legacy stages it's a solid 20, which is pretty frickin' good especially when you consider that this time around each stage is completely distinct from the others.
OK so the gameplay is the same basic system as Infinite's, only with the stone swapped out for the return of 3v3s. However there's still an option for the stone instead of the 3rd fighter in Infinity Mode, which is, well, I already explained it. Another alternate battle option is Solo Battle, which is just a fancier way of saying 1v1s. To account for there only being one fighter per player and thus acting like a regular fighting game, this particular mode uniquely features a round system.

Arcade Mode is also back, and so are proper arcade endings looking at you, Infinite

Story Mode is of course also a thing, though I can't really come up with a good story I dunno y'all it's ****ing 1AM as I'm writing this.

Time Attack/Survival as just a neat little thingy

Daily Challenges. Like SFV, but more substantial than SFV

Trials are of course a thing

The Shop, where you can buy alt costumes, music tracks, intros, victory animations, artwork, etc

Might as well throw in Heroes & Heralds from Ultimate Mahvel 3 as well
And here we are. The final big topic of this chunguspost. DEE EL CEEEEEEEEEEE

OK so this model consists of "packs" released over time. Each "pack" contains one Marvel character and one Capcom character, framed as the "[X] vs. [X]" pack. There's two big "waves" or seasons each containing 5 packs, totalling to 10 packs, which is 20 DLC characters. So let's get through them, shall we?

Worth noting that there's no real rhyme or reason to the DLC character pairings

Wave 1

- Winter Soldier vs. B. B. Hood

- Vision vs. Nero

- Nightcrawler vs. Franziska von Karma

- Rocket Raccoon vs. Hayato

- Dormammu vs. Tessa

Wave 2

- Elektra vs. Nemesis

- Nico Minoru vs. Regina

- Moon Knight vs. Samanosuke Akechi

- Squirrel Girl vs. Gene

- Cable vs. Ruby Heart

several hours later

Aaaaand there we have it. Sure enough, I did spend hours upon hours on this, and I have to say it's by far the most detailed and complete game concept i've ever written up and I feel hella proud. Would love to see y'all's thoughts, but here's some tags for people who seem like they'd be particularly interested based on past interactions I've had with them: SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 Lamperouge Lamperouge dezeray112 dezeray112

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah! Like Smash! That makes a lot of sense! I think I'll do it that way.

What about SFV's V-Skill/V-Trigger system? Should that come back?
Eh, I'm not too sure about that. The V system really catered to certain characters waaaay more than others, so there would have to be some serious adjustments to how those mechanics work and even complete overhauls for the V-Skills/Triggers that just didn't match up to the best in SFV.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Alright, I'm probably about to spend several hours typing this ***** but I don't care: here it is, my masterpiece, what's going to probably become my biggest post on this site - my Super Awesome And Cool And Epic MvC4 Concept 2.0.

Note: I'll be referencing the recent Capcom leaks a few times throughout this post so if you don't wanna get spoiled on anything that came out of that, it's best if you back off or at least tread very carefully.

So.

Marvel vs. Capcom.

To say that people really, really like this series would be an understatement. Seeing all these crazy matchups between one of the biggest and most varied franchise libraries in gaming and an entire universe of famous and beloved superheroes and villains facing off in balls-to-the-walls air combo action is a premise that simply tickles a lot of people (myself included)'s fancy. Especially in recent years, where people are looking for a new game more than ever after Infinite left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, Disney bought Fox, and one recent thing in particular worth mentioning - the Arcade 1up rereleases showing that Marvel and Capcom don't seem to be on terrible terms. More than ever the million-dollar question that's persisted for years is being uttered: when's Mahvel?

Frankly, it's very hard to be sure at this point: there was nothing MvC-related in the beeg Capcom schedule that leaked through the ransomware attacks, but some other leaked projects weren't on the schedule, so who knows? FilipinoChamp, someone who used to be quite close to Capcom, spilled the beans a few months ago that SF6 and Mahvel 4 were apparently in development, and we've now gotten all but official confirmation that SF6 is indeed in the works, so who knows? Regardless, we kinda need a new Mahvel right now.

So let us picture a fantasy world: no legal bull**** to go through, no blacklisted-from-appearing-for-whatever-reason characters, and we're given the keys to make the next installment in the MvC series. What happens?

Before we get into the real meat of things, I feel like something important to answer is what the actual ever-loving **** do we do with the presentation? Cause 3 and Infinite were pretty much on opposite extremes of the spectrum with regards to that. I was originally thinking "oh lmao just do MvC3 and that's it". Buuuuuut after thinking it over, I think we could benefit from another visual overhaul.

So what I was thinking is you take Infinite, make it more colorful and comic book-y again but get rid of all the harsh black shadows and outlines in MvC3. Like a smoother-looking take on the comic-book artstyle. Basically, you translate the vibrancy of MvC1's colors to 3D and then you give it a slight comic book edge and I think it'd look pretty good. In terms of the menus, in accordance with the celebration themes I'm elaborating on soon, I'd have them resemble several scenes from MvC2, namely the character select and the "GAME FEATURES" part from the intro.
So, three big important overarching questions here: how am i choosing the characters, which characters am i choosing, and why did i choose each of them?

The reasonings are getting their own section cause it's just that ****ing big, but we can fit the first two in together.

So, as I mentioned earlier, I want this game to have a central theme around it: celebration. The last game caused a divide in the fanbase and made many fans walk away, so how do we win these people back? Simple: we throw a big friggin' party for the entire history of MvC, from Infinite all the way back to Children of the Atom. Not to mention that were this hypothetical game to somehow release in 2021, it'd be just in time for X-Men vs. Street Fighter's 25th...

So, this celebration mindset would mean of course that we gonna have a lotta characters returning. There's still a decent chunk of newcomers though, not to worry.

-8 full newcomers

-40 MvC3/I veterans

Which makes for a grand total of 62 *in' characters, surpassing even MvC2. I'm not too sure if this would be a reasonable roster size at launch, but eh, * it.

Marvel
Spider-Man
Green Goblin
Venom
Captain America
Hulk
She-Hulk
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Hawkeye
Scarlet Witch
Ultron
Thor
Loki
Iron Man
Deadpool
Wolverine
Cyclops
Storm
Gambit
Psylocke
Magneto
Star-Lord
Doctor Strange
Shuma-Gorath
Daredevil
Ghost Rider
Invisible Woman
Doctor Doom
Blade
Kamala Khan

Capcom
Ryu
Chun-Li
Akuma
Juri
Haggar
Akira Kazama
Mega Man
Zero
Tron Bonne
Morrigan
Felicia
Talbain
Jedah
Dante
Lady
Vergil
Jill
Leon
Wesker
Phoenix Wright
Jin Saotome
Arthur
Nina
Falcon
Amaterasu
Strider
Monster Hunter
Frank West
Asura
Captain Commando
Viewtiful Joe

Marvel Veterans
-First things first, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Cap, Hulk and Thor are the no-brainiest of no-brainers. All of them absolutely huge Marvel stars

-Wolverine is, of course, making his grand return, another huge part of the Marvel universe. Storm isn't too far behind either so she gets in too

-Magneto is both a competitive darling and one of the biggest Marvel villains ever, of ****ing course he's staying

-Deadpool is crazy popular and by far one of the most unique characters to have ever graced an MvC game in terms of personality and flair so he stays

-Strange, Carol and T'Challa are all coming back for more or less the same reason: MCU superstars, all of them with unique abilities

Now, after these, I kinda hit a brick wall with the remaining "regular" Marvel veterans, as there were none left that really struck me as "oh yeah this one NEEDS to come back". But first off, I decided to add Ghost Rider, purely thanks to bias. As for how the final four came to be (Hawkeye, She-Hulk, Ultron, Shuma-Gorath), I asked for input from a friend of mine who's also a huge MvC nut, he gave me a few suggestions of his, I picked out the 4 I thought would be the best. Hawkeye is just neat, She-Hulk was mainly picked due to her personality, Ultron was actually a pretty neat addition to Infinite who I wouldn't mind seeing come back, and Shuma is hella unique

-Cyclops was picked to return cause of his overall importance to the X-Men and Gambit and Psylocke are coming back due to how they're huge fan-favorites

Marvel Newcomers
-Green Goblin is another one of the biggest Marvel villains ever, the archnemesis of Marvel's biggest character, let's get him in

-Loki is another huge villain definitely worth adding, in no small part thanks to dat MCU exposure

-The other two characters mainly added thanks to the MCU are Scarlet Witch and Star-Lord. Wanda is a super beloved character and has tons of interesting moveset potential, and since both Rocket and Gamora are gone for the time being, Star-Lord will be filling in for the Guardians representation, not to mention that he's, ya know, their leader

-Daredevil is one of the biggest street-level heroes to not have been added, plus he's just generally cool

-Kamala was chosen because people love her and Marvel is also pushing her to hell and back

-I wanted an actual Fantastic Four member on here, and while I intitially toyed with the idea of cramming them all into the same character, I eventually grew hesitant towards the idea of shoving characters more than capable of standing on their own into one slot, even in general. So after that I thought of Reed, but I was worried he could have a bit too much overlap with Kamala, and Sue was kind of the next in line so her it was

Capcom Veterans

-Akuma has more or less become a Vs. series staple so we kinda have to include him in the celebration game

-Felicia is hella popular, enough to be one of the few Capcom characters from 2 to actually return for 3

-Jedah is awesome, one of Infinite's biggest highlights and he deserves to be in a better MvC

-Zero and Tron Bonne, both of them very popular Mega Man characters who represent different subseries, get 'em back in here

-Dante is Dante

-Jill is one of the big RE protags, one of the more popular ones as well (sidenote in this game, Jill is her MvC2 self again)

-Wesker is one of the biggest Capcom villains, why the actual hell was he not in Infinite

-Monster Hunter has gotten insanely popular and successful now, so it only makes sense to keep the hunter

-Ace Attorney has always been a notable semi-active series and we now know thanks to the leaks that's it's got a hell of a future ahead of itself so all the more reason to add Phoenix back in

-Haggar, Arthur, Ammy, Joe and Frank were all kept more or less for the purpose of expanding the series representation

-Mega Man since he's the most iconic and longest-running incarnation of one of Capcom's flagship characters

Capcom Newcomers
-Juri is one of the more notable new characters created for Street Fighter in recent years and people go absolutely monke for her so throw her in

-Akira and Falcon were added to provide some representation for other classic Capcom fighting game IPs which is something MvC3 didn't expand on like at all. Plus, both of these characters seem to actually have a future now, seeing as Akira is coming to SFV and a Power Stone remake was among the leaked future Capcom projects

-People LOVE Leon and have been asking for him to appear in Mahvel since forever so I think it's time to finally put him in

-Breath of Fire has always kinda been underused in Capcom crossovers so that's what Nina is here for

-Asura is one of the biggest Capcom characters to have been created since MvC3 and he seemed like a no-brainer for Infinite but alas, the DLC was cancelled early. But here he is now
Do note that some of the stages are based on settings that have already been used for previous MvCs but their stages in this one are still new designs

Marvel
Avengers Tower
Asgard
Wakanda
Xavier Mansion
Latverian Throne Room
Atlantis
Murderworld
Mephisto's Realm

Capcom
High Roller Casino
Metro City Subway (based on the subway train level from the original Final Fight)
Taiyo High
Wily Castle
Deserted Chateau
Devil May Cry
Baker House
Courtroom

HOLD UP though, cause there's a few unlockable stages with a concept that afaik hasn't really been done yet in Mahvel: legacy stages. They're stages taken from past games and with completely remade graphics and music ala Smash Ultimate or Mario Kart 8. We got one from 1, one from 2, one from UMvC3, and one from the early Vs. games.

Marvel Legacy Stages
Days of Future Past (UMvC3, updated to replace the characters who have since returned with characters from 3 and Infinite who aren't in this one)

Capcom Legacy Stages
The Carnival (MvC2)

Counting the legacy stages it's a solid 20, which is pretty frickin' good especially when you consider that this time around each stage is completely distinct from the others.
OK so the gameplay is the same basic system as Infinite's, only with the stone swapped out for the return of 3v3s. However there's still an option for the stone instead of the 3rd fighter in Infinity Mode, which is, well, I already explained it. Another alternate battle option is Solo Battle, which is just a fancier way of saying 1v1s. To account for there only being one fighter per player and thus acting like a regular fighting game, this particular mode uniquely features a round system.

Arcade Mode is also back, and so are proper arcade endings looking at you, Infinite

Story Mode is of course also a thing, though I can't really come up with a good story I dunno y'all it's ****ing 1AM as I'm writing this.

The Shop, where you can buy alt costumes, music tracks, intros, victory animations, artwork, etc

OK so this model consists of "packs" released over time. Each "pack" contains one Marvel character and one Capcom character, framed as the "[X] vs. [X]" pack. There's two big "waves" or seasons each containing 5 packs, totalling to 10 packs, which is 20 DLC characters. So let's get through them, shall we?

Wave 1

- Vision vs. Nero

- Dormammu vs. Tessa

Wave 2

- Elektra vs. Nemesis

- Nico Minoru vs. Regina

- Squirrel Girl vs. Gene

- Cable vs. Ruby Heart

several hours later

Aaaaand there we have it. Sure enough, I did spend hours upon hours on this, and I have to say it's by far the most detailed and complete game concept i've ever written up and I feel hella proud. Would love to see y'all's thoughts, but here's some tags for people who seem like they'd be particularly interested based on past interactions I've had with them: SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 Lamperouge Lamperouge dezeray112 dezeray112
While there are some characters I want more then others, and I REALLY like the idea of the Fantastic Four as a Ginyu Force style character over having just one of them on the roster, I would not complain at all if this were the roster for a genuine new MvC installment. The only characters I feel are really missing are Nemesis and either Bison or Gill. We need one of Street Fighter's big bads for a story mode, and Nemisis is just the definition of iconic.
Eh, I'm not too sure about that. The V system really catered to certain characters waaaay more than others, so there would have to be some serious adjustments to how those mechanics work and even complete overhauls for the V-Skills/Triggers that just didn't match up to the best in SFV.
Not to mention the name came from the fact that it was Street Fighter V. Because V is roman numerals for 5 and capcom thinks it's cleaver. So maybe just drop em.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

So.

Marvel vs. Capcom.

-8 full newcomers

-40 MvC3/I veterans

Marvel
Spider-Man
Green Goblin
Venom
Captain America
Hulk
She-Hulk
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Hawkeye
Scarlet Witch
Ultron
Thor
Loki
Iron Man
Deadpool
Wolverine
Cyclops
Storm
Gambit
Psylocke
Magneto
Star-Lord
Doctor Strange
Shuma-Gorath
Daredevil
Ghost Rider
Invisible Woman
Doctor Doom
Blade
Kamala Khan

Capcom
Ryu
Chun-Li
Akuma
Juri
Haggar
Akira Kazama
Mega Man
Zero
Tron Bonne
Morrigan
Felicia
Talbain
Jedah
Dante
Lady
Vergil
Jill
Leon
Wesker
Phoenix Wright
Jin Saotome
Arthur
Nina
Falcon
Amaterasu
Strider
Monster Hunter
Frank West
Asura
Captain Commando
Viewtiful Joe

Marvel Veterans

Marvel Newcomers

Capcom Veterans

-Dante is Dante

Capcom Newcomers

Marvel
Avengers Tower
Asgard
Wakanda
Xavier Mansion
Latverian Throne Room
Atlantis
Murderworld
Mephisto's Realm

Capcom
High Roller Casino
Taiyo High
Wily Castle
Deserted Chateau
Devil May Cry
Baker House
Courtroom

Marvel Legacy Stages

Capcom Legacy Stages
The Carnival (MvC2)

Wave 1

- Vision vs. Nero

- Dormammu vs. Tessa

Wave 2

- Elektra vs. Nemesis

- Nico Minoru vs. Regina

- Squirrel Girl vs. Gene

- Cable vs. Ruby Heart

several hours later

I quite dig your selections for the roster (Green Goblin, Leon, Asura, and Moon Knight are long overdue, IMO...and I'll never complain about more characters from Darkstalkers), legacy stages are a great idea as the series is full of iconic locations, and I think your tweaks to Infinite's mechanics are welcome changes since I was fond of the tag system but not especially keen on the stones.

But no Amingo, man?! What the ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom