• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So for this week or so gonna go with the main character from Weathering With You for my pfp, despite other ideas for it. Just tagging my fellow anime watcher Lamperouge Lamperouge for this.

As of about 15 minutes ago, I have now watched all six of Makoto Shinkai's films, having just finished Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

If I had to rank them it would go from best to worst;

1. Your Name
2. Weathering With You
3. 5 Centimetres Per Second
4. Children Who Chase Lost Voices
5. The Place Promised In Our Early Days
6. The Garden Of Words

He is a good film maker but my issue with him is that his endings are too abrupt. He's got an amazing sense of direction, themes, music and art (you can tell his past from working at Falcom had influenced his first film's art) but his plots aren't as clear cut and a few would have been better IMO on a different trajectory/been something else.

GoT season 8 is hilarious because it took a massively popular franchise people never stopped talking about and completely killed off the entire ****ing fanbase in one fell swoop
Try coming from the place where they really, really tried to milk the fact that GoT was filmed in Northern Ireland and it crushed people who worked on it when they saw the reception from the fanbase (I know a few people indirectly who had worked on it cause hometown). Helped boom the TV/film industry here.......then the pandemic.
I don't like Game of Thrones really, (really just grimy for my taste but according to some, I was considered "too immature" to watch it cause of my anime tastes) and honestly it was a bit laughable. Felt like for a while you were looking at every attraction related to it in the city and then be like "well that was a waste of money now" seeing the reception.

I think they are trying a spinoff now that's going to be filmed in my hometown.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
First thing I do when I play Dante in 4 is see if RG is still somewhat easy to do if you jump.

'cuz I heard that it's harder to RG in 4, but it may a placebo effect of peoples not knowing when to use it properly.

Not sure tho.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So for this week or so gonna go with the main character from Weathering With You for my pfp, despite other ideas for it. Just tagging my fellow anime watcher Lamperouge Lamperouge for this.

As of about 15 minutes ago, I have now watched all six of Makoto Shinkai's films, having just finished Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

If I had to rank them it would go from best to worst;

1. Your Name
2. Weathering With You
3. 5 Centimetres Per Second
4. Children Who Chase Lost Voices
5. The Place Promised In Our Early Days
6. The Garden Of Words

He is a good film maker but my issue with him is that his endings are too abrupt. He's got an amazing sense of direction, themes, music and art (you can tell his past from working at Falcom had influenced his first film's art) but his plots aren't as clear cut and a few would have been better IMO on a different trajectory/been something else.
I've seen advertisements for Your Name and heard high praise for it. Where did you watch it?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I've seen advertisements for Your Name and heard high praise for it. Where did you watch it?
I own the film on my PS4 (yes I buy the odd film of PSN) so have it there but I think it's on Netflix. Unfortunately means I own the sub that ticks me off but I wanted it the legal way.

And I have the manga and novelisation. Really would recommend watching the film.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In terms of cinematic universes. The next ones we need is a Cryptid Cinematic Universe and Mythology Cinematic Universe (Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Japanese, Aztec/Mayan, etc.).

The latter especially, I can only imagine the worldbuilding to it, the setting probably being similar to Alderaan from Star Wars (Due to knowledge gods like Athena and Thoth passing their knowledge onto humans who'd learn from them) and the pantheons ruling over their home countries and running like the United Nations of the world banding together when it comes to great threats (For example Apep, a snake so massive it could swallow the sun).

Although I would leave out ones like Hindu and Australian Aboriginal out of respect as they're still followed by their people today and wouldn't want to accidentally offend their beliefs (This was apparently the case with Asura's Wrath which was based on Hindu mythology). Though they could be referenced or mentioned through dialogue indicating their existence in this universe.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ok, hear me out: Enough with the ****ing cinematic universes.

Just because Marvel struck gold doesn't mean every other franchise has to do a cinematic universe. It's so annoying because these studios just want to cash in a trend without the extensive planning nor quality that the MCU has.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok, here me out: Enough with the ****ing cinematic universes.

Just because Marvel struck gold doesn't mean every other franchise has to do a cinematic universe. It's so annoying because these studios just want to cash in a trend without the extensive planning nor quality that the MCU has.
Remember when Universal showed this at the beginning of The Mummy?
****ing hilarious as **** too.

For real though, only cinematic universe I'd want is a 7 Riders thing where it ends with all 7 (or 9 I guess) Riders destroying the source of all evil conspiracies while ending the universe for good. Preferably ending with them ****ing up remaining dictatorships worldwide or some ****. God I'd kill for someone to make a good franchise from my ideas

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ok, here me out: Enough with the ****ing cinematic universes.

Yeaaaa, kinda feel the same way tbh.

Especially so many have tried & failed horribly. Some company just don't care about the quality of the first movies & just want to get on that bandwagon while they can, while like anything, first impression are important, and if the first one fail and feel cleary like a cashgrab/setup fiesta for others movies, really, it is worth all the time & money it will take?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Finished the next one. I dunno if I got the last card effect right(always treated as Zera the Mant). This makes it usable in more than just the Mega archtype. I already got ideas for Cyber Jar and Barrel Dragon, though there's going to be Launcher Spider and Ground Attacker Bugroth remakes too. There's quite a few of Bandit Keith's cards to work with. As for this card, it's a light reference to The Wicked Eraser in terms of name.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

*ing hilarious as * too.

For real though, only cinematic universe I'd want is a 7 Riders thing where it ends with all 7 (or 9 I guess) Riders destroying the source of all evil conspiracies while ending the universe for good. Preferably ending with them *ing up remaining dictatorships worldwide or some *. God I'd kill for someone to make a good franchise from my ideas
Lol, I was thinking of The Mummy when typing that post. That, and Scoob, because we were supposed to get a Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe.

And they both sucked ass

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
In other news, what y'all planning to watch for Christmas movies this year?
I'll be watching Home Alone 1 and 2.

Oh no, I'm aware of that short as well and I'm interested to see a more proper Mandarin (hopefully) in Shang-Chi.

I just really wanted to see him and Iron Man square off but that's never going to happen now.
The Mandarin will be portrayed by Tony Leung which was announced at last year's Comic-con. In regards to the MCU heading in to Phase 4, Shang Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings is the one that I am highly anticipating mostly. Also will be seeing how Kim's Convenience's Simu Liu handles the role as the titular character.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Although the problem with those other cinematic universes was they were trying to copy the MCU, I don't think there is a problem with cinematic universes.

What they should do is their own approach notably in tone and vibe, find their niche that the audience would enjoy from it as the MCU did for theirs.
*ing hilarious as * too.
I seriously can't believe I went to see that in theaters. What a joke that was at an attempt of a cinematic universe.

The 1999 Mummy will always be the best.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Lol, I was thinking of The Mummy when typing that post. That, and Scoob, because we were supposed to get a Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe.

And they both sucked ass
The Mummy remake was a lesson in how not to do a Cimematic Universe. One of the things that seems to be forgotten is that you want to make a good movie first before you build off and start to make a string of movies because you want that to be successful enough that you can continue with the others. Additionally, it has to stand on its own two feet, if it has to be padded out with other movie teases then it's probably not going to be a good movie. Iron Man understood this as they made a good movie first that established the characters and world well, better integrated the wider lore with SHIELD into the story, and then only had the grand tease at the end. So you had a good movie that people enjoyed, and the tease at the end made them want to see more of the world they were trying to make.

The Mummy didn't do any of that. It didn't have a good base to begin with as the characters and plot weren't memorable nor did it live up to its predecessor, but it also shoehorned in its grander lore as the whole 'secret government agency' felt out of place and added nothing. In fact, I'd argue it took more away from the movie as it didn't allow the already underdeveloped plot elements to grow. It wasn't an organic movie, it felt more like a means to an end and that killed both the remake and the grander Cinematic Universe they were hoping to make.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because we're talking about cinematic universes.

One of my ideas for such would be regarding the Mapinguari and El Dorado for a potential Cryptid Cinematic Universe would be the mapinguaris being the race and rulers of El Dorado deep in the Amazon.

To also add some lore to it. They're the reason Percy Fawcett and his son "disappeared" searching for the lost city. You could say they killed them but I thought it'd be more interesting instead upon discovering El Dorado, the mapinguaris offered them both to live among them but at the cost, they can never return home for they're trying to keep their existence a secret, so they begin to teach them their ways regarding their culture, lifestyle, and things they might have never known about and both are still alive having had their lifespans prolonged whether through some kind of herbs, magic or medicine.

The mapinguaris also sighted outside of El Dorado that roams the Amazon are ones that were banished from the city by their race.

Another idea being that cryptids like the Goatman of Maryland, Pope Lick Monster, and Lake Worth Monster actually be satyrs from Greek Mythology who immigrated to the Americas. Being a satyr is one of those traits that sometimes skips a generation or two. All of the migratory satyrs looked perfectly human explaining those three.

Beast of Bray Road, and Michigan Dogman being feral werewolves.

There is a hollow earth explaining some cryptids being prehistoric notably lake monsters which those lakes have tunnels leading to said hollow earth.

Also, Theodore Roosevelt hunting the Snallygaster which actually happened, he thought the creature was real.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So it looks like Kadabra is finally returning to the Pokémon Trading Card Game since its last appearance in the 2004 Skyridge expansion :064:
Awesome!

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So it looks like Kadabra is finally returning to the Pokémon Trading Card Game since its last appearance in the 2004 Skyridge expansion :064:
Awesome!
All those years of shenanigans getting Alakazams without Kadabras... over. It's gonna be so weird.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Since I'm working on a design doc/pitch for Street Fighter 6, I'm curious. Fellow Street Fighter fans, how would you want the gameplay to change from 5 to 6? What mechanics from any of the past games should come back?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Like Illumination would be able to pull that off
With Nintendo watching their every move. Its a possibility actually.

In no way would Nintendo let them screw up with their most iconic and famous franchise especially assuming this is a lead up to a Smash cinematic universe.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I think I got this accurate to everything? Possibly? There's so many special wordings/etc. it can be difficult. I think at most some stuff is capitalized wrong, but otherwise, it's right. I realized one problem with its previous version is that "you cannot activate effects till your opponent's next turn" is a terrible idea. Why? If they flip is up on their turn, welllllll, it's barely usable. I put a lot of clauses to make sure it's hard to break. Not even the summon effects are super good. It directly supports its own archtype and is decently usable in any Pendulum deck, though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I never said that the MCU would decline and then rot, that won't happen in forever.

What I am saying is that it is quite unlikely that we will see a MCU film as succesful as Infinity War and Endgame in a long, long time.
Nah I think it’s the opposite. The delays and absolutely wild stories we are about to see on Wanda vision, spider man 3, and doctor strange 2; I think they’ll crush it in popularity and money making. Then a new avengers or younger avengers can definitely shatter the box office.

I still think the 3 I mentioned are going to be big money makers.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Awesome!
When Mario gets locked up and erased, Kadabra's in charge of the mascot.

Kadabra: "Leave it to me!"

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Awesome!
I find it really funny that the same website did an article about Kadabra and Geller just yesterday.

Maybe they should #FreeSmash (:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sounds like a beautiful trainwreck waiting to happen.
Yeah, remember when I brought up the idea of a Smashboards Wikia, and all hell broke loose after? I am not sure if it would necessarily be the exact same thing, but a Smashboards cinematic universe would be bad as an idea as well.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just learned that, since gen 4, Kadabra is immune to the Everstone in the core games.

Could Uri Geller been the reason too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom