• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The Among Us avatar I drew has served its purpose, but I don't really have any other good avi pics ready to go so eh **** it

abomination time :jojo:

Last edited by a moderator:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Well, they sent a C&D to the Big House, and it seems like going forward, now that they know Slippi exists, they'll do the exact same thing to any big online tournies.
This is a very important topic for the smash community. Not just Melee, but the Smash community as a whole.

Nintendo is just following policy, and the heads of The Big House will probably play it safe and do what they're told, which leaves everything on the shoulders of the community to come forward. Nintendo will listen to customers because we're the ones who collectively keep Nintendo afloat. If the community makes enough noise, Nintendo will listen. This goes beyond The Big House event, it goes beyond Melee -- this is something that impacts the future of the community, it's tournaments, and the games we play for years down the line.

I urge everyone who cherishes the games they enjoy playing and watching on streams to make their voice heard on any and all social networks they can. Nintendo can rescind -- they have in the past. In 2013 the community came together with the EVO livestream and helped guide Nintendo to see the customer's way of things. We can do it again.

D

Deleted member

No, no, no... I don't like this.

Hierarchies are gross. Down with hierarchies. Let's not rank each other, that only causes division. Yes, you can have close friends, but this is going too far. We need solidarity.
who hurt you?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
This is a very important topic for the smash community. Not just Melee, but the Smash community as a whole.

Nintendo is just following policy, and the heads of The Big House will probably play it safe and do what they're told, which leaves everything on the shoulders of the community to come forward. Nintendo will listen to customers because we're the ones who collectively keep Nintendo afloat. If the community makes enough noise, Nintendo will listen. This goes beyond The Big House event, it goes beyond Melee -- this is something that impacts the future of the community, it's tournaments, and the games we play for years down the line.

I urge everyone who cherishes the games they enjoy playing and watching on streams to make their voice heard on any and all social networks they can. Nintendo can rescind -- they have in the past. In 2013 the community came together with the EVO livestream and helped guide Nintendo to see the customer's way of things. We can do it again.
Not sure I'd word it like it's the American Revolution, but okay. Still, it is important to remember that Nintendo's a company. Companies don't always do what the consumers want if they believe it's the best for them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh I don't really care that much. Just, while I love Nintendo, some of their actions show how ridiculous and out of touch the people running them can be, especially when what they're going against doesn't hurt them nor help them if they win, since they aren't making money from it nor even trying to do anything to make money from it, and no one is stealing from them.

I'd understand it if Melee etc. were on the Switch with new online stuff, but no, they gotta play dumb.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh Nintendo are being ***** again.
That sucks.
In what way would letting the event run negatively impact Nintendo in any ****ing way.

I didn't even plan on watching The Big House but this has no excuse. Emulating wasn't their best idea, but still, this response is a bit much.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I shall once again take of PFPs of everyone who posted here (including @Freezerburn as I consider him a part of the social thread family) and sequester them by tier. I do this for three reasons: hitotsu, because I felt like it; futatsu, there are a few new members here that I wanna rate their pfps; so****e, mittsu, not only does the Rate Their Avatar game seem to be dead, it does get monotonous doing the same handful of people anyway.

View attachment 292223Yes, I would put mine in this tier, so sue me.
View attachment 292225This tier is quite populated, huh? Sorry about the large image.

Sayonara! :ness:
Huh.
Why am I not surprised?
Still "B-Tier" ain't bad.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Got spoiled for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. Man, that ending sounds incredibly dumb. I feared right from the moment they introduced time travel to the plot that it would result in a 'good ending' where Calamity Ganon is defeated. Does it make the game canon or not? If not, then the game's marketing was possibly lying to us, as it was marketed primarily as a game where you get to directly experience the Great Calamity.

And despite that, I still pre-ordered the game tonight, making it the first game I have ever pre-ordered (even if pre-ordering it three hours before release in the UK sounds redundant). Not gonna lie, this morning I briefly did a U-turn on this game and changed my mind on buying it, but by the afternoon I'd decided I'd still try to enjoy the game regardless, since I enjoyed the demo. And the pre-order bonus poster from Amazon will finally give me an excuse to take down the Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS poster I've kept up in my room for years after receiving it as a bonus from Argos. Feel free to question why I kept a Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS poster up in my room for years.

Clearly you don't understand the artistic mastery of Inverted Cursed Mii Brawler.jpg. I expected my abomination of an avatar to reach bottom tier. It was supposed to be exclusive to October but I never bothered to switch it back, and a friend told me to keep it because he liked it.

I'll do a deal: If Octoling and Heavy - my two remaining most wanted characters - make it into Smash, I will draw art of the two and Steve myself with my abysmal art skills, and make that my new avatar on all my social media.

Shroob

Sup?

I mean, on the flipside, they're entirely within their right to do this too.

I don't really 'care' about the Melee scene, so of course my opinion will sound biased, but Slippi is, for all intents and purposes, a modification to a Nintendo IP that wasn't part of the original game, which was not made by them, and AFAIK, that breaks the terms and conditions.

I think people hyping up Slippi as the "Golden Age of Melee" were blind to the giant-ass target that it put on the game. We've seen time and time and time again Nintendo go after lesser fan projects made "Out of Love", what made this any different? Yes, they have not officially gone after Slippi, but honestly? It's only a matter of time now. When you poke the bear with a stick, it's going to maul you.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
On a more positive note, I finally caught up to RWBY after years of procrastinating (I forgot to catch up after V2) and then several months where I neglected or didn't have the time to binge it like I planned.

I've enjoyed every Volume, and I'm expecting V8 to be a blast.

Also Blake is still one of my favorites...But as of V6 and beyond she is no longer best girl or best character.

Last edited:

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Screenshot 2020-11-19 152113.png

Nice

I shall once again take of PFPs of everyone who posted here (including @Freezerburn as I consider him a part of the social thread family) and sequester them by tier. I do this for three reasons: hitotsu, because I felt like it; futatsu, there are a few new members here that I wanna rate their pfps; so****e, mittsu, not only does the Rate Their Avatar game seem to be dead, it does get monotonous doing the same handful of people anyway.

View attachment 292225This tier is quite populated, huh? Sorry about the large image.

My boy Guts lookin' pretty good.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I love how we're all spinning this as Nintendo being insecure about Ultimate's online when its probably just them taking their usual anti-modding stance.

I mean don't get me wrong Ultimate online is still prety underwhelming but I doubt that has much to do with how Nintendo is giving Project Slippi the boot.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

A tier, nice

I'll take it!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
No, no, no... I don't like this.

Hierarchies are gross. Down with hierarchies. Let's not rank each other, that only causes division. Yes, you can have close friends, but this is going too far. We need solidarity.
Ignoring the massive amount of unpacking needed to address the content of this statement, you do realize this is just someone ranking everyone’s avatars by how much they like them just for fun, right?

You must have extremely little faith in us as people if you think we’d be divided over something like this.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t see Nintendo bothering to “Free Melee”, just like I am unable to see WWE allowing their “independent contractors“/should be taken care of employees to not be forced to pay their own company to stream

D

Deleted member

I mean, on the flipside, they're entirely within their right to do this too.

I don't really 'care' about the Melee scene, so of course my opinion will sound biased, but Slippi is, for all intents and purposes, a modification to a Nintendo IP that wasn't part of the original game, which was not made by them, and AFAIK, that breaks the terms and conditions.

I think people hyping up Slippi as the "Golden Age of Melee" were blind to the giant-ass target that it put on the game. We've seen time and time and time again Nintendo go after lesser fan projects made "Out of Love", what made this any different? Yes, they have not officially gone after Slippi, but honestly? It's only a matter of time now. When you poke the bear with a stick, it's going to maul you.
What you said was correct, but when you consider that even other companies like SEGA and Mojang are more willing to listen to the fans, while Nintendo shuts down many projects, its annoying.

I'm not a Melee fan either. I haven't even played the game in a long while. But its annoying to see Nintendo shut down fan projects.
Ignoring the massive amount of unpacking needed to address the content of this statement, you do realize this is just someone ranking everyone’s avatars by how much they like them just for fun, right?

You must have extremely little faith in us as people if you think we’d be divided over something like this.
Wait...

It was avatars, and not people?

You've got to be kidding me.

I'm sooooo stupid, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
My thoughts on this: I had a feeling that the community begging for Nintendo to sponsor them would eventually backfire on the community like this: look at how the communities of other fighting game franchises are forced to move to the latest instalment, because that's where the money is.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I wouldn't have a problem with this if A. Nintendo made Melee a readily available game on Switch and B. Ultimate didn't have trash online.
But it isn't, and it does.
What's everyone's favorite pizza topping? For me, it's ham.
Pineapple Can't wait to get ****ing murdered over my choice of pizza topping

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Oh my, S Tier? And that high? Guess this makes my timing of an avatar change kind of unfortunate, lol.

Shroob

Sup?
What you said was correct, but when you consider that even other companies like SEGA and Mojang are more willing to listen to the fans, while Nintendo shuts down many projects, its annoying.

I'm not a Melee fan either. I haven't even played the game. But its annoying to see Nintendo shut down fan projects.

Wait...

It was avatars, and not people?

You've got to be kidding me.

I'm sooooo stupid, lol.

It is

But if nothing else, they're consistent. They're old fashioned, and it sucks, but, we know how they work.

Expecting new results when we've seen time and time and time again how they work is like sticking your hand into fire and expecting it to not be hot.

D

Deleted member

I just want to add that you tend to misread things often, so you should consider asking for additional context before assuming next time you're unsure of a person's post. That way you avoid situations like this.
I understand. Will save this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom