• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don’t see anyone claiming that platformers as a genre are flawed and outdated. Just that Yuji Naka’s game design is flawed and outdated.
People don't claim that. But studio executives are incapable of comprehending that a product failed because it was bad. I literally experienced this with a guest speaker in one of my film classes talking about how the Ghostbusters reboot failing was because people "weren't into comedies anymore". No matter how much we tell them that we like platformers, but the game was bad, the only reality that makes sense to them is "people don't like this anymore". And that... really sucks. Especially when Square holds the rights to the beloved (IMHO) Gex series and they will likely now not allow any new projects with the character.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Balan Wonderworld itself is a big oof
I remember before the Demo, Yuji Naka said if Balan didn't succeed it would likely be the last platformer he ever makes.

Which knowing what his games are like, I interpreted it to mean it was going to be the last platformer he ever makes.
Yeah literally just look up the cutscenes for Balan. They’re infinitely more enjoyable than the game itself... which is like... how?
Square Enix got that CGI budget.

Noipoi

Howdy!
People don't claim that. But studio executives are incapable of comprehending that a product failed because it was bad. I literally experienced this with a guest speaker in one of my film classes talking about how the Ghostbusters reboot failing was because people "weren't into comedies anymore". No matter how much we tell them that we like platformers, but the game was bad, the only reality that makes sense to them is "people don't like this anymore". And that... really sucks. Especially when Square holds the rights to the beloved (IMHO) Gex series and they will likely now not allow any new projects with the character.
How many other platformers does square own?

Is it just Balan and Gex?

Cuz if so, then it’s not like too much is lost if Square decides not to do platformers anymore.

D

Deleted member

**** you.... whoever's responsible.
I think the people primarly at the top are the ones to blame here tbh.

The game just needed more time to polish the gameplay part of it, as that's where the core of the issue lies, and if it had been given that time it wouldn't have been the crash and burn game we see before us rn. Presumably the higher ups just wanted to get the game out asap though, which of course, lead to this outcome.

Like, everything else is fine(in fact, I actually really like the character designs of most of the characters and powerups, and the theme it focuses on is a touching one) but without a good gameplay base to actually play it just feels like I'm watching a cutscene of a terrible movie with no substance.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Square made the Gex IP available for people to produce games for as part of the Square Enix collective project.

Noipoi

Howdy!

The game just needed more time to polish the gameplay part of it, as that's where the core of the issue lies, and if it had been given that time it wouldn't have been the crash and burn game we see before us rn. Presumably the higher ups just wanted to get the game out asap though, which of course, lead to this outcome.
I’d argue the core design philosophy is flawed. No matter how much time you gave them, they’d have to fix that as well.

One button for everything is not acceptable in this case.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I noticed. And I only care about two of those statements, and I only disagree with one of those two.
which ones tho? You got my curiosity
WWE is a sport?
Realest sport of all time trust me
Anime is cartoons
Noipoi you started a war with too many people with just one sentence

Just for that **** up for the internet...imma be a prick you know I could never do that to you...I will defend you until you say something actually bad
Really the only difference between the two is a different artstyle(with a dash of cultural differences)

That said, I vastly prefer anime to american cartoons, mostly cause when I watch anime, I'm usually getting a vastly intriguing and open story, along with a nice, clean artstyle and worldbuilding, not a saturday morning comedy.*

*that's not to say all american cartoons are "just comedys and nothing else" but being american myself, I've watched a ton of them, and most of them lean into the episodic "plot of the day with tiny lore sprinkled in" type of story, which isn't really my style.
idk...I wouldn't be against saying some cartoons are comedies and nothing else, but it depends on how good the comedy is to get away with it
Personally, I prefer soccer/football and someof the winter sports over the other sports.
couldn't watch soccer...but I can play it. It was fun to play it in High School...almost broke a water fountain once kicking the ball to get a goal

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Cuz if so, then it’s not like too much is lost if Square decides not to do platformers anymore.
You underestimate how much the PlayStation nerd in my wants Gex back.

Like, everything else is fine(in fact, I actually really like the character designs of most of the characters and powerups, and the theme it focuses on is a touching one) but without a good gameplay base to actually play it just feels like I'm watching a cutscene of a terrible movie with no substance.
Too bad then. A lot was riding on this game and it let us down. I mean, I’m still gonna play it. But what I think personally doesn’t really matter. It never does.
Square made the Gex IP available for people to produce games for as part of the Square Enix collective project.
Yeah. And it’s been that way for years and nobody has picked it up. I still don’t get why. At the very least do a remake collection!

D

Deleted member

I really should go to bed at this point, typing on this jank-ass keyboard is hard and I need to get sleep anyway.

So uh....
night yall

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
which ones tho? You got my curiosity

Realest sport of all time trust me

Noipoi you started a war with too many people with just one sentence

Just for that **** up for the internet...imma be a prick you know I could never do that to you...I will defend you until you say something actually bad

idk...I wouldn't be against saying some cartoons are comedies and nothing else, but it depends on how good the comedy is to get away with it

couldn't watch soccer...but I can play it. It was fun to play it in High School...almost broke a water fountain once kicking the ball to get a goal
Cartoons being better then anime (I agree) and Spider-Man being better then Batman (I disagree)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yo, someone make Gex tennis, make that Scott the woz gag a reality.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ichiban walking into Kamurocho and having future shock after being in prison for nearly 2 decades was a funny scene. lol

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Technically they own Taito so they have access to a lot of games published under them.

Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands
Elevator Action
Little Samson
Panic Restaurant
Power Blade 1 & 2
Kickmaster
Hanna Barbara licensed titles (yes, and they're actually good games like Capcom/Disney)
etc.

If Square Enix cared to put some pressure on Taito to actually re-release these parts of their library they could send major shock waves in the retro market as Taito makes up the bulk of rare NES games. lol

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The demo for Balan Wonderworld is being removed from all digital stores.

Big OOF
Wow, I am late for this but I wasn't expecting that. Since they make a big deal that if you had the demo save file you would get some sort of "Launcher" costume or something.
Balan Wonderworld itself is a big oof
Yes, it definitely is.

Yeah literally just look up the cutscenes for Balan. They’re infinitely more enjoyable than the game itself... which is like... how?
That's what most people point towards, that the cutscenes look gorgeous and that cannot be denied, but...after seeing them one after the other, it's confusing...specially the end.
It’s fundamentally broken at its core. Every button does the same thing and that button all depends on what costume you’re wearing. If you’re wearing a costume that can’t jump you have to swap to one that can. Say you get all the way to one of the collectibles of the game, the trophy, only to find out that you don’t have the right costume. Well you have to backtrack to get the costume from either somewhere in level that you hopefully stored it from an earlier level. Or leave the level go to the other level get the costume you need and then go back to the other. But let’s say on your way back to that trophy that you need the costume for you accidentally forget that you don’t have a jump button so you walk off the ledge. You’ve now lost that costume so you have to do it all over again.

That’s Balan Wonderworld’s entire gameplay loop. It’s awful. Oh and Balan? Literally just a QTE... the same QTE... over and over and over.

Edit: if you’re an absolute masochist who just has to play the game though please just wait for it to end up in the bargain bin next month. Or rent it from a Red Box. The game is highway robbery otherwise. It’s actually that bad.

Edit 2: and trust me Balan didn’t set it back years, I promise. The game literally never left the era of early PS1 Gameplay. It’s easy to see why it failed so miserably.
I felt invested for a time mainly because of the character design and what SEEMED to be a story but....in the end it just let me down in many ways so, I am glad I don't care to spoil myself to know if it's even worth spending money on it.

And the so called "Showtime set", I find it quite lackluster, specially when it was quite vague when it came to the " FULL COLOR Theatre Program", and many people including myself thinking that it would be an Artbook like other collector's edition of games have (I wish I had Rogue's.... T W T)...BUT NOPE, it's like a bunch of information and art that they have already showcased from the most part, with some developer commentary and only one unseen artwork at the end.

Oh, and the freaking Novel. I read a summarized version and it gave me a headache and with a lot more questions than answers. A friend read the full novel and felt the same, that there was a lot of confusing crap. And the answers you get didn't really help at all, since some were contradictions to what happened in the game itself or just downright weird.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Technically they own Taito so they have access to a lot of games published under them.

Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands
Elevator Action
Little Samson
Panic Restaurant
Power Blade 1 & 2
Kickmaster
Hanna Barbara licensed titles (yes, and they're actually good games like Capcom/Disney)
etc.

If Square Enix cared to put some pressure on Taito to actually re-release these parts of their library they could send major shock waves in the retro market as Taito makes up the bulk of rare NES games. lol
Would Square Enix/Taito still have the licenses to Hanna-Barbera? Not familiar with anything they had licensed from them but usually expired or transferred licenses make those things a pain to rerelease.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm legally required to share this video and i'm not legally required to say that you should watch it 'cuz it's really funny.

So go watch it, please.
I'm really liking Crash 2 so far. It is far more fun than Crash 1.
Classic case of the sequel taking what worked about the first and made it better because they knew what they were doing this time.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So, Hollow Knight fans waiting for more Silksong news...
broly tea 2.jpg
broly tea 1.jpg
How about you & us Deltarune fans get along?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, Smash fans should get along with anime sword people better.

They both love cutting stuff.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
You know, Smash fans should get along with anime sword people better.

They both love cutting stuff.
We need a character who fight with scissors to make that statement extra true.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Would Square Enix/Taito still have the licenses to Hanna-Barbera? Not familiar with anything they had licensed from them but usually expired or transferred licenses make those things a pain to rerelease.
Probably not, though who knows what could happen if they just asked given how Warner Bros. seems to treat the series these days. "Cough...WWE...Cough" I know Sunsoft got permission to release the OSTs for the NES Batman games and Gremlins 2 a few years ago so who knows.

Would be nice though as both Flintstones games are solid platformers while The Jetsons (technically developed by Natsume) is a marvel of a late-era 8-Bit game with it's presentation & music. Have heard the 16 bit games are also good, at least according to reviews I've seen from SNES drunk and others. Dinosaur Peak never even came out in Japan and had a (presumably) limited NA release; I had to import my copy from Chile a few years ago.

Also as a side note, technically Wacky Races is a solid Mario 3 style platformer from Atlus in their pre-SMT days.

EDIT: And yes, I spend too much time researching games to check out for my collections. :p

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Getting marines to obey you in Halo is hard, especially due to outside factors making it hard to keep them alive (mountains of Flood, them getting in front of you while you're shooting the enemy, pathetic weapons). But if you can pull it off, you can make up a pretty awesome scenario.
20210414210535_1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom