• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So I see that the daughter of Mila Jovovich and Paul W.S. Anderson is playing the role as Wendy and I believe this is Alexander Molony's film debut too.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Not to sound racist or anything but what's up with this whitewashing?
I think you got some terms mixed up here

There is no whitewashing at all in this cast (so far). There is no race washing either, The main characters have no defined race other than being British. Or in Tinkerbell's case, a Fairy

whitewashing = recasting a character that is supposed to be a minority with a white person.

(Also race washing isn't even a thing. just a talking point used by racists most of the time.)

I don't think they did that. Is there even a character they could whitewash in the original movie?
There is the Native American village...

Who are represented terribly in the animated version so I hope they do better in that regard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of the benefits of having a unique/weird last name is that I can literally just google that and the top results are related to me.

Although I really should get a DNA test eventually..... would be nice to know my lineage.

Last edited by a moderator:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
There is the Native American village...

Who are represented terribly in the animated version so I hope they do better in that regard.
Well, there are a number of sequences within past animated features whether they are Disney or any other animated studio that did not age very well at all. For example, the crows in Dumbo and the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp etc. The live action films had to change and modernise a lot of these so that it does not repeat the same mistakes it made in the past and just like you stated, I do expect the Peter Pan and Wendy movie to modernise that.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, there are a number of sequences within past animated features whether they are Disney or any other animated studio that did not age very well at all. For example, the crows in Dumbo and the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp etc. The live action films had to change and modernise a lot of these so that it does not repeat the same mistakes it made in the past and just like you stated, I do expect the Peter Pan and Wendy movie to modernise that.
Pretty much the entire Aladdin, for example.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Pretty much the entire Aladdin, for example.
I've been watching every single Disney Animated Canon movie and I think every single movie from Pinocchio up until Winnie The Pooh has a disclaimer on it, with some exceptions like Cinderella and I think the Rescuers. but as you said Aladdin had one so it was pretty consistent up until the mid 90's.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'll probably never have the skill or awareness to pull this off in an actual match but I'll try practicing some of this the next time I get on Smash. These characters are just too sick, dude. Love it.
You aren't a real DLC character unless you get some weird horse crap that make the character even more fun to play...and even more unfun for the opponent. :p

Like that fella said tho, it's probably a niche technique anyway, but Mythra could use it if she ever need some kill confirm at the ledge. (tho I can feel someone is gonna pull that Pyra Side-B tech at a tourney to get the win, and it's going to make alot of noises on social media.)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ralph Bohner was literally teased and built up since the first WandaVision episode
Besides what eveyrone else said, I wouldn't say it's whitewashing when one of them became black. At best it'd be blackwashing (like with what they did with Wally West...but also not really)
So I see that the daughter of Mila Jovovich and Paul W.S. Anderson is playing the role as Wendy and I believe this is Alexander Molony's film debut too.
I think so...tho I'm mainly focused on Tinkle Bell cause she's being played by Zoe from Blackish/Grownish (while one of her castmates is playing Ariel)
Daisy Yes
20210310_161715.jpg

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If you're talking about Tinkerbell, it's not called whitewashing if the white character is played by a black person even though I'm not comfortable with that even happening and this is coming from a black person. Why not just keep Tinker bell White?

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
ya know, I haven't watched a video done by MKLeo until now.

Before I saw his latest video, I thought the guy was alot more quiet & focus on the game than like your typical Smash youtuber.

...buuut seem like I was wrong and it's kinda of jarring honestly haha.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If you're talking about Tinkerbell, it's not called whitewashing if the white character is played by a black person even though I'm not comfortable with that even happening and this is coming from a black person. Why not just keep Tinker bell White?
In all fairness, it's not like Tinkerbell really had a set in stone race, and I'm all for seeing more minorities playing well known characters. This isn't the first time stuff like this happened, remember there was Roger and Hammerstien's Cinderella in the 90s which was pretty popular iirc, but even before then there were adaptions of popular stories to fit other cultures, one notable example is the Ye Xian which is basically a Chinese Adaptation of Cinderella that's been around for milleniums.

That said, I'm skeptical of Disney and their race issue. For every beloved character they cast a minority for, they do some slimy **** behind the scenes such as John Boyega's treatment, and basically all of Mulan.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Noipoi Noipoi , TheCJBrine TheCJBrine , Hat N' Clogs Hat N' Clogs , KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms & any other Undertale maniac here.

I been wondering something: we never see Sans die on screen, right? Like we know he die at the end of the genocide route, but we never see him turn into dust since he is off-screen when he died, that and he bleed too, which no other monsters do. (It could be ketchup in his pocket, but it's hard to say)

We also never see a Darkner died on screen, all of them either escape before the final blow, or they're spared in one way or the other. The only one that come closest to die on screen is Ralsei if his HP reach zero or less, and he turn less into dust and more like his entire body just vanish.

Of course, it could be nothing, since Papyrus does die like a normal monster (turning into dust), but considering all the theories that Sans is a Darkner, I feel like there's room for speculation here, but what do you guys think?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was watching videos about owls and chilling until I suddenly remembered about this series I read in middle school:
81zFSqLt5hL.jpg

All I remember about it is that some barn owls get kidnapped and brainwashed into a owl dicatorship, as weird as that sounds
idk why I shared this, just thought it was neat

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Noipoi Noipoi , TheCJBrine TheCJBrine , Hat N' Clogs Hat N' Clogs , KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms & any other Undertale maniac here.

I been wondering something: we never see Sans die on screen, right? Like we know he die at the end of the genocide route, but we never see him turn into dust since he is off-screen when he died, that and he bleed too, which no other monsters do. (It could be ketchup in his pocket, but it's hard to say)

We also never see a Darkner died on screen, all of them either escape before the final blow, or they're spared in one way or the other. The only one that come closest to die on screen is Ralsei if his HP reach zero or less, and he turn less into dust and more like his entire body just vanish.

Of course, it could be nothing, since Papyrus does die like a normal monster (turning into dust), but considering all the theories that Sans is a Darkner, I feel like there's room for speculation here, but what do you guys think?
I dunno.

Some part of me thinks it was an artistic decision to make his death, the point of no return, more impactful. We humans know what blood represents. But I don’t think Toby would break his own lore just for something like that.

And we know he was cooking up Deltarune before he made Undertale, so I guess Darkner Sans is a possibility.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I was watching videos about owls and chilling until I suddenly remembered about this series I read in middle school:
View attachment 307488
All I remember about it is that some barn owls get kidnapped and brainwashed into a owl dicatorship, as weird as that sounds
idk why I shared this, just thought it was neat
It was a good book series.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I dunno.

Some part of me thinks it was an artistic decision to make his death, the point of no return, more impactful. We humans know what blood represents. But I don’t think Toby would break his own lore just for something like that.

And we know he was cooking up Deltarune before he made Undertale, so I guess Darkner Sans is a possibility.
Yeah, that, and Sans colors mean we can't use his portrait to tell if he is a Darkner or not.

Plus, the plush of Sans you can get from Fangamers also as ""blood"" inside of it, if you try to rip it apart. Just like how Toriel plushies as her soul inside it.

It seem way too intentional for it to be just there for "symbolic" reasons. Plus Sans is definitly related/linked to Gaster in some way, who is obsessed about darkness and the like, and Sans seem to want to comeback to a place that isn't the surface.

Very, very, very suspicious, I tell ya.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Yeah, that, and Sans colors mean we can't use his portrait to tell if he is a Darkner or not.

Plus, the plush of Sans you can get from Fangamers also as ""blood"" inside of it, if you try to rip it apart. Just like how Toriel plushies as her soul inside it.

It seem way too intentional for it to be just there for "symbolic" reasons. Plus Sans is definitly related/linked to Gaster in some way, who is obsessed about darkness and the like, and Sans seem to want to comeback to a place that isn't the surface.

Very, very, very suspicious, I tell ya.
They did surgery on Sans. Rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom