• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Shiny Hunting Thread

majora_787

Smash Hero
I know. But my friends during the gold n silver days collected pokemon like magmar and rhydon and the big bulky one. I wasnt going to be the POLIWAG guy. XD ESPECIALLY not the shiny poliwag guy.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well think of it like this would you rather be called he shiny poliwrath guy or shiny gloom guy...
I was actually going for a shiny Vileplume at the time. But good point.

I'm gonna migrate my Duskull so I can get a shiny Dusknoir. I think it looks cool.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
to firus

Yeah there is certain way to do it, but im not good at explaining things but there is a tutorial on youtube showing how to do it. Just type in pokeradar and the guide should pop up. Its done by a girl named Shuko.

It works cause i have caught like 5 shinies in a short amount of time.

buizel, eevee, larvitar, ralts, pachirisu
Yeah, I Googled it and found a thread on a forum, which had a link to that video. I'm still no good at it. My max chain was 20 with Pachirisus. I meant to start resetting at that point, but...I didn't realize I was at 20, and then it broke. I wish I could have the same luck catching shinies as you...

I caught a shiny grimer in gold/silver.. no wait I think it was crystal..lol anyways--do shinies stay shiny when u evolve tem? i was to scared 2 evolve it because I was afraid it would lose it's shinyness lol..

oh yea! and I caught a shiny red gyrados! haha
Yeah, shinies stay shiny when evolved.

About the semi-legit way of obtaining shinies, trading. What would you say is a fair offer for a shiny? For example, I have a couple shiny Riolus that I could trade off; what would be a fair price?
Hm....I don't know. With shinies, it really depends on how much you like the shiny you're trading and getting, and the same for the other person. If both of you hate the one you're trading but love the one you're getting, it's a good deal. Honestly, though, if you're okay with a sort of non-legitimate way of doing things, I'd suggest doing the GTS cloning trick and then you can trade Riolu without worrying too much about losing him.

I don't hunt for shinys, I find them and realize I have a week tops before something bad happens to my game. To me, they're a curse. A curse that is still fun to find now and then. XD
That's really weird that something bad happens to your game whenever you catch a shiny...

Is there more than just one alternate 'shiny' color scheme for pokemon?
No, unfortunately. But it'd be really cool to have alternate shinies.

Shiny poliwag u_u There, happy?
Eh, in my opinion that's an awesome trade. Poliwag-Poliwrath look pretty good, and a lot better than Gloom and Vileplume do. Politoed, though...WOW, Politoed looks awesome shiny. Not a particular fan of the Pokemon, but it has some nice shiny colors. Bellossom has some okay colors, but I still think Politoed looks better. Great trade if you ask me.

M.K

Level 55
Through chaining, I've gotten a shiny Shinx, Buneary, Cubone (x2), Mareep, Zubat, Starly (x2), and Miltank!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Through chaining, I've gotten a shiny Shinx, Buneary, Cubone (x2), Mareep, Zubat, Starly (x2), and Miltank!
You're so lucky. How do you do so well with chaining? Granted, I haven't tried it much, but still...the highest I've gotten is like, twenty something. On my Pearl Version (before I restarted it) I got a little more than 20 chain of Stantler, and then I got exactly 20 of Pachirisu. Everything else has been 8 or lower.

Congrats on all of those shinies though.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Well, I'm not the kind of person that has the patience to keep resetting for shiny starters and legendaries. I once tried it with Rayquaza in Sapphire, but after about 70 tries I had enough of it and just caugh the god**** ******* even though he wasn't shiny.
I've caught a Nidoran Female in Crystal though if I remember correctly. I still remember it, I had a lot of lvl 80 guys in my team and I just got out of the park were the Bug Contest is held. I walked through the grass to the right there (around the area where you encounter Sudowoodo) en then that Nidoran came along. Luckily, I caught a Scyther at that Contest thingy and he was about the same level so I was lucky. Shiny Nidoqueen looks bad though... But still, it was a shiny.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Like firus said, HOW DO YOU GET SO LUCKY, i feel lucky to get one in GTS. The most Iv chained was 20 Bibarel(EV training)15Chingling(shiny hunting=unsuccesful)and 12Bibarel same reason as before.
The only shinies I have are a GTS magmortar(It looks horrible, but it's shiny)and a shiny Palkia
soon I may have a piplup:)

Mewter

Smash Master
I seem to recall catching a shiny Oddish in Silver waaaaay back in the day.

I always questioned its shininess though, and I cannot remember if its leaves were yellow or not. Oh well, I like to think that I caught a shiny Oddish.

On another note, I've always wanted a Shiny Beldum so I could raise it to be a Shiny Metagross, which is by far one of THE best looking shinies out there.

haha...
I have a shiny metagross...
(But I traded my friend for it)
I also have a shiny level 100 Roserade(I traded for it from one of my friends because found it and didn't want it so he gave me a level 5 budew.(I trained it)
And you won't believe this, but he found 3 shinies in a week!(Legitimate):laugh:
Budew, bronzor, and something else.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Shinies I chained: psyduck, chatot, farfetch'd, cubone, ponyta, snubbull, zigzagoon(3), phanpy(3), pichu, absol(4)

The only shiny I SR'd for is Torchic (the best of the 3 IMO, as long as you don't evolve him ; ) ).
For those who don't know, you won't see if it's shiny until it comes out of the pokeball (in other words, the picture in Prof.Birch's bag will never be shiny unless you use AR.)

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Like firus said, HOW DO YOU GET SO LUCKY, i feel lucky to get one in GTS. The most Iv chained was 20 Bibarel(EV training)15Chingling(shiny hunting=unsuccesful)and 12Bibarel same reason as before.
The only shinies I have are a GTS magmortar(It looks horrible, but it's shiny)and a shiny Palkia
soon I may have a piplup:)
What is this chaining thing? Somebody can explain that to me?

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
What is this chaining thing? Somebody can explain that to me?
Chaining is using the pokeradar to keep finding the same pokemon over and over.
When you use the pokeradar in the grass, 1-4 patches of grass will shake. Enter one of those patches to start a battle. If the pokemon you found is one you would like shiny, defeat it or catch it ( Run away if you don't want the pokemon, that will end your chain). When you finish the battle, 1-4 more patches will shake. Enter the patch of grass that looks the same as the one you went to before. Once you've defeated the same pokemon 40 times in a row, the chances of finding a shiny during your chain are about 1/200. Most people stop chaining at 40 and keep reseting the radar until they find shiny grass ( grass that has four circles that glow slowly). Enter that grass and you will battle a shiny.

There are tons of threads about this on Serebii so you should check there. ( I hope that doesn't count as an advertisement : P )

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Ow yeah, I remember reading that somewhere on Gamefaqs but I just didn't know the term for it. But it actually works pretty well then?

D

Deleted member

In Pokemon FireRed, I used to have a shiny Pidgey. It was golden, but I didn't really use it; I had a stronger Pidgey on the team.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Anyone else want a Shiny Caterpie? It's golden. It's one of the most useless Pokemon, to boot, which just makes it even more interesting. And I'm not entirely sure what I mean by interesting...point is, I want a Shiny Caterpie.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I also want a shiny caterpi. For some reason, I have always thought that caterpi looks so cute. I don't like buterfree or metapod, but have always liked caterpi.

Oh, Firus. Have you managed to clone your shiny piplup?

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Stupid question, can you get shiny Pokemon out of eggs?

Shiny Mareep in Silver Version. It was my second strongest Pokemon (and my only electric type) throughout the whole game.

Gotta love the Ampharos

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Stupid question, can you get shiny Pokemon out of eggs?

Shiny Mareep in Silver Version. It was my second strongest Pokemon (and my only electric type) throughout the whole game.

Gotta love the Ampharos
yes you can get shinies from eggs.

ampharos is good, but the sheep are blah, yes thats all they are to me blah

Atticus Finch

Smash Rookie
Back in the day when I actually played Gold/Silver, I had encountered a shiny Rapidash. I tried telling people about it and TO THIS DAY no one believed me.

Nice to know I'm not crazy after all these years. :(

Mewter

Smash Master
Well, one time I think I saw a pink butterfree in my Yellow version, but shinies weren't invented back then. Maybe I AM crazy.:lick:
Who knows?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
They do?

I chained like 50 Bagon's once in Sapphire and no luck. I also had like over 9000 Bagon eggs (no joke. I had like four boxes in my PC filled with them).

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I have caught a shiny cricketune. Imediately after that, another shiny cricketune. So a possible tip. I'm thinking the flag that comes up by chance that it is a shiny pokemon or not stays a short while afterwards, so if you catch a shiny, do another battle.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Could someone explain the concept of chaining please? --sorry I've been gone a while
When you use the pokeradar in the grass, 1-4 patches of grass will shake. Enter one of those patches to start a battle. If the pokemon you found is one you would like shiny, defeat it or catch it ( Run away if you don't want the pokemon, that will end your chain). When you finish the battle, 1-4 more patches will shake. Enter the patch of grass that looks the same as the one you went to before. Once you've defeated the same pokemon 40 times in a row, the chances of finding a shiny during your chain are about 1/200. Most people stop chaining at 40 and keep reseting the radar until they find shiny grass ( grass that has four circles that glow slowly). Enter that grass and you will battle a shiny.

There are tons of threads about this on Serebii so you should check there. ( I hope that doesn't count as an advertisement : P )
I just chained a shiny bidoof!...

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

This is the basic's of chaining.

EDIT: congratz on bidoof jigglyppuff8

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh, Firus. Have you managed to clone your shiny piplup?
Yes, I have. I should've told you that. I'm ready to trade whenever, PM me when you're ready.

They do?

I chained like 50 Bagon's once in Sapphire and no luck. I also had like over 9000 Bagon eggs (no joke. I had like four boxes in my PC filled with them).
In Sapphire...? In any case, yeah, as Spire told me when I started hunting for Mudkip (which I haven't worked on in a while...my patience is awful), you can reset (or find a Pokemon, in this case) a million times and never find a shiny. The odds are 1/8192, and it resets to that EVERY TIME. I've run into millions of Pokemon, I'm sure, and 2 of them have been shiny. Clearly, it's not a common occurance.

I bred Ralts a million times and never found a shiny. I wasn't even looking for a shiny, I wanted a Ralts with a Modest (I believe that's the one...+Sp. Atk, -Atk, right?) Nature, Will-O-Wisp, and Trace as the ability in Ruby. It took me forever. Ridiculous.

I just chained a shiny bidoof!...
Aw...I want a shiny HM...uh...it's censored, apparently. But you know what I mean.

worth it though otherwise the odds are way to high
You mean too low. If they were high, that'd be a good thing.

But yeah, LUVTOY, if you want a very in-depth guide for chaining (including a link to a YouTube video of the guide if you're too lazy to read), here's the one I read for all of the information I got. Other than that, yeah...not much else. I've tried chaining and it just will NOT work. It's impossible to find an ideal area of grass, and I can never see the patches rustling. Even if I see them, my memory is awful so I can't really remember. Why can't they mark the patches, or make them continue to shake or something? Or, maybe an app (maybe they could add this in Platinum?) that shows the area of grass in the app, and you can look at the app to see the patches rustling rather than having to watch the grass. This would solve issues with weather, and you could put marks on patches of grass that you see shake. This way you don't forget.

Top Bottom