• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Shiny Hunting Thread

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
:laugh:

Rules of SmashBoards = Win.

Also, not to sound conceited, but did you quote me? In your "Personal Quote", it says "Innovation: The death of video games as we know them." Didn't I use to have that in my sig? It's too bad I didn't keep it there, I kind of liked it. But I like Spire's quote better. I really need to revamp my sig at some point.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

Also, not to sound conceited, but did you quote me? In your "Personal Quote", it says "Innovation: The death of video games as we know them." Didn't I use to have that in my sig? It's too bad I didn't keep it there, I kind of liked it. But I like Spire's quote better. I really need to revamp my sig at some point.
I stole it. But yeh. If you want me to get rid of it, I can.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Not acceptable. I demand a ridiculously shiny SkylerOcon.

Hehehe, thanks man. Just to sound conceited, I want that on a banner at the top of the Poke Center. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hehehe, thanks man. Just to sound conceited, I want that on a banner at the top of the Poke Center. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
No problem, that was an awesome line. So succint and yet so accurate.

We should create some sort of a "Greatest lines of the Poke Center" thread, and that can be the banner of that. Well, that might be considered spam...what do you guys think?
Actually, I just thought of something...

I stole it. But yeh. If you want me to get rid of it, I can.
Oh no, by all means, keep it. I love that quote. It was kind of on a whim after an angry session of ranting in either the "No more good games for Wii?" thread or the "Has Nintendo taken adventage of people" thread, but it actually came out rather well. I need to work on revamping my sig right now...

...and yes, that "adventage" has bugged me since day one (it's actually in the thread title).

Nike.

Smash Hero
Yes, I know this thread is old, but I didnt want to make another one and spam.

Anywho,
I just caught a Shiny Gastly.
TIMID!!!
And it wasnt from chaining or pokeradar, just pure simple luck.
Trying to figure out IV's atm.

Somebody pinch me, im dreaming.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I haven't seen any shiny pokemon in 4th generation yet

Mewter

Smash Master
I have NEVER, EVER, seen a shiny pokemon in the wild, and I've played every generation of pokemon games from 1st up.:(

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have NEVER, EVER, seen a shiny pokemon in the wild, and I've played every generation of pokemon games from 1st up.:(
2nd gen had a better chance of finding them, I think...

Because I had a couple.

Of course, I also had the Red Gyarados. That thing is awesome! ...Had it on my team because of it's epicness

Mewter

Smash Master
2nd gen had a better chance of finding them, I think...

Because I had a couple.

Of course, I also had the Red Gyarados. That thing is awesome! ...Had it on my team because of it's epicness
I loved that red gyarados. That was awesome!(especially in Stadium 2!)

M.K

Level 55
I saw a random Shiny Geodude below the Cycling Road in Platinum maybe a week or two ago, but it used Self-Destruct before I could catch it. Dx

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
you can just breed any shiny you want.

HOw do you breed it to be shiny...?

I;ve been breeding all my pokemon to get the best stats but none of them have turned out shiny yet

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Breeding is the most effective method if you've got a rare Pokemon that you wouldn't chain, e.g. GBA-Insert Pokemon can have screwed up chains since the DS will sometimes not recognize them. But chaining increases the chances of finding a shiny a lot, so if you can, it's the best way to do it.

D

Deleted member

actually just breeding them is. You can get the correct gender, shiny, ability, and nature without an everstone every time.

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
actually just breeding them is. You can get the correct gender, shiny, ability, and nature without an everstone every time.

wait so you're saying this for those who want a shiny pokemon with certain natures and abilities? lol, I was thinking of those who just want a shiny because they're rare and cool

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been breeding my corphish all day and I can't even get the right Nautre, let alone gender/ shiny/ etc...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, you're right on that aspect. My point is the chances are heightened when you chain, so if you're looking to just get a shiny, you're better off chaining. So you choose between a better chance of getting a shiny or getting an ideal shiny.

D

Deleted member

chaining isn't 100% and is hard. breeding is neither, and you get some IV control through the parents.

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
hey, is there a site that can explain the relationship b/t IVs and parents in breeding? And chaining is really about luck. I think you're supposed to note the movement of the grassy areas but I still can't tell the difference

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
hey, is there a site that can explain the relationship b/t IVs and parents in breeding? And chaining is really about luck. I think you're supposed to note the movement of the grassy areas but I still can't tell the difference
From what I can tell, this is a good reference for that.

Chaining is basically just enhanced regular shiny hunting, yeah. Shinies always involve luck. There are guides and such to the art, I guess you could call it, of chaining; this page has some good guides for it, especially Merbear's.

M.K

Level 55
From what I can tell, this is a good reference for that.

Chaining is basically just enhanced regular shiny hunting, yeah. Shinies always involve luck. There are guides and such to the art, I guess you could call it, of chaining; this page has some good guides for it, especially Merbear's.
Chaining reduces the odds from 1/8192 to 1/200 per patch of grass that shakes.

Once you build up a chain of 40 pokemon, you can stop battling and start looking for The shiny patch. Each patch of grass has a 1/200 chance of showing a Shiny Pokemon. Since there is a possibility of up to 4 patches shaking at a time, your chances increase to 1/50!

Mewter

Smash Master
Chaining reduces the odds from 1/8192 to 1/200 per patch of grass that shakes.

Once you build up a chain of 40 pokemon, you can stop battling and start looking for The shiny patch. Each patch of grass has a 1/200 chance of showing a Shiny Pokemon. Since there is a possibility of up to 4 patches shaking at a time, your chances increase to 1/50!
So maybe, after an additional 3000 steps, you may find at least 1 or 2 shiny Pokemon!
Grrr, I can't get past 25. That's my breaking point. I haven't tried what those people in that link you(Firus) posted have said yet, but I'll try it after I get back into Pokemon (probably once I get Platinum?)

M.K

Level 55
So maybe, after an additional 3000 steps, you may find at least 1 or 2 shiny Pokemon!
Grrr, I can't get past 25. That's my breaking point. I haven't tried what those people in that link you(Firus) posted have said yet, but I'll try it after I get back into Pokemon (probably once I get Platinum?)
Platinum Chaining, so I hear, is MUCH easier due to the increased visibility of patches in sunshine, as well as the GREATLY increased visibility of patches in snowstorms, rain, and sandstorms!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh god, I remember when I wanted to chain for the swarm of the day (I've heard it's supposed to be better for chaining), and was OVERJOYED to find that it was Beldum, a Pokemon I've wanted shiny for so long and tried soft resetting for in Sapphire.

Then I went to the route he's on.

SANDSTOOORM! Yay. I couldn't see anything, so I was unable to even attempt it...

Mewter

Smash Master
Platinum Chaining, so I hear, is MUCH easier due to the increased visibility of patches in sunshine, as well as the GREATLY increased visibility of patches in snowstorms, rain, and sandstorms!
!!!!
That makes me want to get Platinum so much more, now.:laugh:
I was going to go out and get it this weekend... but, eh.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Yeah, that's making me want to get Platinum really bad also!

My girlfriend is the manager of her Gamestop, so she's gonna give me the big huge Platinum cardboard standup that they use. :)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's a loophole in the system I'm assuming?

JesiahTEG talking about Umbreon said:
He is more knowledgeable about the game than anyone, having memorized nearly every stat relevant to competitive play, since RBY. He can compete at the highest level of play with ease, create the most deadly of teams within hours and minimal testing. He has found loopholes in the games programming and utilized them to come up with methods to do such tedious things such as breeding perfectly.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
He can breed for a 31 in every stat 100% of the time. No, it's not impossible like everyone thinks it is. Idk the details, he has them worked out. PM him if you want more info.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Let's see, all the shiny's I can come up with that I saw;

Shiny Gyrados: Silver (scripted)

Shiny Espeon: Fire red, in the tower thingy that you had to race through as fast as possible

Shiny Charizard: Friend gave it to me. Turned out to be a hack from yet another person. Don't use it.

Shiny Groudon: Pokemon battle revolution. Final match in the updated Stargazer Colosseum (the last one) post story mode (level 8), the last guy had a shiny Groudon. I barely won. It is so far the only time I have won that thing.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wow. That is intense.

Of course, the only issue in that is...

The 4th Generation RNG, or Random Number Generator, is not quite as broken as Emerald's, but can be exploited by patient people.
I'm not patient. >_>

Nonetheless, I guess that does make breeding the most effective way of breeding for shinies. On the other hand, I think I'd still personally rather hunt for the rush of encountering the shiny and all; if I bred for the shinies I wanted they'd probably lose their luster for me. Thanks for the link, though. I may exploit that in the future if a certain Pokemon decides to be...uncooperative.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Wow. That stuffs amazing, seriously. I'm going to try this next chance I get, and by the looks of it I'll need quite a bit of time. Thanks Umbreon.

And while the thrill of finding a shiny is pretty cool, I think this is far more interesting, reliable, and rewarding then chaining. I've tried chaining, and I'm definetely not saying it's not possible, but it's one of the most boring and tiresome things I have ever done in a video game. You get really close to a chain of like, 40 and then you mess it up...and then you realize how much of a waste of time that was.

D

Deleted member

I bred 6 perfect pokemon and raised them to lv 100. That was worth it to me.

chaining sucks.

Top Bottom