• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
So do I. Which is all the more reason to stop *****ing about Metaknight.

My point was that there are two groups of people in this debate. One group is anti-competitive and wants all the characters to be exactly equal so that everyone has a chance. The other group is actually sensible about these things and knows how figthing games work.

Not all the characters are equal. That's just how it works. There's no fighting game out there with a completely balanced roster, although some games may come close. Once you start banning a character for vaguely defined reasons, people are going to follow it to its logical conclusion and start banning other characters for even more vaguely defined reasons.
This is why I love you, RDK.

Smooth Criminal

infomon

Smash Scientist
brinboy, please stop talking. I can't stand your posts even when I agree with your "side" of an argument; you add nothing to these debates or conversations.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
There is one thing I don't understand in this debate:
If there ARE MK matchups that are so close that it's even arguable that it isn't in favor of MK, how can a MK ban even be up for debate?
People are underestimating what warrants a ban and what does not, I think.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
There are other games with characters that have no bad matchups, simply a few neutral matchups and the idea of having these characters banned is never even brought up. I don't see why it should be any different for Metaknight.

You don't need a counter, just some even matchups. Metaknight doesn't break the game. He's strong and many people will play him and for good reasons, and I know many think it sucks, but you're just going to have to deal with it. Can't have everything tailored to our whims.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
The reason most people make such a big deal out of it is that they want to be able to win tournies with less work. I have always held to wait untill about one year after the game came out to seriously consider banning him. The metagame can change.

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
I agree with the decision, but this action doesn't change much of anything in the competitive community.

People will continue to argue for his ban until he is banned. Others will vehemently refute these arguments and argue for him not to be banned. Such is the cyclical nature of the debate.

Meta Knight isn't unbeatable, as was stated. Most of his advantages are 60-40, hardly dominating through and through as many would make it out to be.
And more characters are coming out as soft counters or near-neutral matches...I may be wrong, but I believe Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Bowser, and Olimar are or are being discussed presently as neutral or disadvantageous match-ups for the wee warrior.

But he is, indeed, very dominating and may end up overcentralizing the game..."Meta Knight and his four or five neutral matches, coming to a tournament near you!" I can actually visualize that.

Time can only tell, and this topic will need to be revisited before long. I'd say to be patient before banning him, but that's just me.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
There is one thing I don't understand in this debate:
If there ARE MK matchups that are so close that it's even arguable that it isn't in favor of MK, how can a MK ban even be up for debate?
Well, it was up for debate in that we had to look at actually making those arguments. :\

Apparently, the SBR believes 3-1 that those arguments do run (that MK has matchups that are reasonable), hence the decision we have.

Good show, SBR. Good show. We'll see how this goes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The reason most people make such a big deal out of it is that they want to be able to win tournies with less work. I have always held to wait untill about one year after the game came out to seriously consider banning him. The metagame can change.
actually we wanted to keep people from winning tourneys with little work by picking MK.

@pk-ow, the ratio was 2.3 to 1 dont over exaggerate

and for the record i advise all probanners to stop talking about MK for 3 months cause nobody will listen if people continue to spout their mouths off after a decision has been made

Slush

Smash Cadet
Wasn't looking for that, but at least we got a response and a decision, good job SBR.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol that's just NinjaLink vs Mew2King. Diddy doesn't win the match-up at all. I've never lost to a Diddy with MK, including NL. >_>;

Snake has the advantage.
Inui I'm curious, What are snakes options when metaknight gets him in the air?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
You can nair out of snakes nair with MK.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
You can also do it with peach, but that one is more di based as well, your not guaranteed to hit with Peach, but you are guaranteed to hit with MK's.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
nair comes out pretty slowly, but does 29% total and has 4 hits
getting to ground is an obvious one :)

But how fast does his nair come out? compared to some of metas arials?
brinboy, that's irrelevant to the question that was posed. Stop needlessly trying to defend MK at every point and turn; it doesn't add to the debate, it's almost spam.
he asked how fast does his nair come out, and i responded. what, is saying that its 29% spam? jeez

RDK

Smash Hero
Whether or not it does 29% and has 4 hits has nothing to do with how fast it is.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
So do I. Which is all the more reason to stop *****ing about Metaknight.

My point was that there are two groups of people in this debate. One group is anti-competitive and wants all the characters to be exactly equal so that everyone has a chance. The other group is actually sensible about these things and knows how figthing games work.

Not all the characters are equal. That's just how it works. There's no fighting game out there with a completely balanced roster, although some games may come close. Once you start banning a character for vaguely defined reasons, people are going to follow it to its logical conclusion and start banning other characters for even more vaguely defined reasons.
That generalization is FAR too sweeping.

It should be obvious to everyone here that nobody expects a completely balanced roster. It's also obvious that a concrete ban criteria is needed before any ban occurs. Both have been admitted by basically everyone who wants a ban.

All your doing is putting the anti-ban side into a little box to try to pre-emptively eliminate any logical arguments they come up with as well as any they might have. That's anti-debate, and a fallacious tactic. Stop it, please.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Hi I just read all 34 pages and (my brain hurts after all that) and the MK ban I feel netural about it I even thought MK should get a handicap also I read all of the posts and some are genious and some are idiots like MK2 said also I glad that the MK contreversy as come to a end for who knows for how long? and every has a weakness no matter what it's the player that matters not how good a charcater is same for the tires it's just a contest on who has the most flashy moves and how many people use in a tournament IMO also thanks for the post and the threads guys I find it a good read also Brinboy is the idiot spam MK so he'll probably be a n00b for a compare to pro players MK2 and Azen for ex. and Brinboy here is some advice stop posting crap and lurk more and no won is undefeatable everyone has a weakness got it? okya that's all I got to say.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Brinboy is the idiot spam MK so he'll probably be a n00b for a compare to pro players MK2 and Azen for ex. and Brinboy here is some advice stop posting crap and lurk more and no won is undefeatable everyone has a weakness got it? okya that's all I got to say.
obviously im a noob cmopared to M2K and azen, who isnt?

RDK

Smash Hero
That generalization is FAR too sweeping.

It should be obvious to everyone here that nobody expects a completely balanced roster. It's also obvious that a concrete ban criteria is needed before any ban occurs. Both have been admitted by basically everyone who wants a ban.

All your doing is putting the anti-ban side into a little box to try to pre-emptively eliminate any logical arguments they come up with as well as any they might have. That's anti-debate, and a fallacious tactic. Stop it, please.
I was responding to the group of people at hand who were using arguments that called for the type of post I made. If you can't see that, then that's your problem. Don't come in here and accuse me of being narrow-minded when you know full well that that's not the extent of my knowledge when it comes to other schools of thought on the topic of the ban.

People used ridiculous arguments, and I responded accordingly.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I was responding to the group of people at hand who were using arguments that called for the type of post I made. If you can't see that, then that's your problem. Don't come in here and accuse me of being narrow-minded when you know full well that that's not the extent of my knowledge when it comes to other schools of thought on the topic of the ban.

People used ridiculous arguments, and I responded accordingly.
"In my experience, if you can not say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything."

One of my all-time favorite quotes, you can look it up if you wish.

The point is, I'm not responding to your position overall, I'm responding to what you ACTUALLY SAID.

While I get that this isn't the full extent of your argument, when you do things like that, expect people to call you out on it, because quite frankly, it's bad logic, so clarify.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you can either fastfall a back air/airdodge, or pull out a nade to try and counter MKs inevitable followup attack. thats about it.
You can nair out of snakes nair with MK.
Hi I just read all 34 pages and (my brain hurts after all that) and the MK ban I feel netural about it I even thought MK should get a handicap also I read all of the posts and some are genious and some are idiots like MK2 said also I glad that the MK contreversy as come to a end for who knows for how long? and every has a weakness no matter what it's the player that matters not how good a charcater is same for the tires it's just a contest on who has the most flashy moves and how many people use in a tournament IMO also thanks for the post and the threads guys I find it a good read also Brinboy is the idiot spam MK so he'll probably be a n00b for a compare to pro players MK2 and Azen for ex. and Brinboy here is some advice stop posting crap and lurk more and no won is undefeatable everyone has a weakness got it? okya that's all I got to say.
i find ths hilarious coming from the brinboy of the sonic boards.
you are bad and you should feel bad

infomon

Smash Scientist
i find ths hilarious coming from the brinboy of the sonic boards.
That's being unduly unfair to SonicX580. He's obv kinda n00b at forums etc., but his transgressions have always been of simple inexperience. He responds positively to feedback, and makes an effort to pick up the expectations we have for posters.

Alternatively, brinboy's insolence and perpetual drivel shows a genuine disdain for the community. It's not enough that his "arguments" are trivial restatements, simplifications, or verbatim quotes of better arguments from other posters... but he incessantly hammers away at them, in the face of much smarter and highly respected people, as if any of his posts have ever been novel, useful, or even relevant within the context of his posts. He doesn't understand debate, and he doesn't care to display etiquette or respect for the rest of smashboards; which would be wrong even if he ever had something useful to contribute.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That's being unduly unfair to SonicX580. He's obv kinda n00b at forums etc., but his transgressions have always been of simple inexperience. He responds positively to feedback, and makes an effort to pick up the expectations we have for posters.

Alternatively, brinboy's insolence and perpetual drivel shows a genuine disdain for the community. It's not enough that his "arguments" are trivial restatements, simplifications, or verbatim quotes of better arguments from other posters... but he incessantly hammers away at them, in the face of much smarter and highly respected people, as if any of his posts have ever been novel, useful, or even relevant within the context of his posts. He doesn't understand debate, and he doesn't care to display etiquette or respect for the rest of smashboards; which would be wrong even if he ever had something useful to contribute.
who is being unduly unfair now.

ughhh...
oh my god, i cant believe im seriously doing this...

it took longer than it was supposed to but in the face of the entire should MK be banned thread, he actually did take the time to listen to a few people, im pretty sure at which point he reclused himself to the MK boards and he took note of the highly respected people the you speak of and took some time to actually learn a little bit about what the hell he was talking about. ive seen him grow, and actually answer questions of his own knowledge once or twice. unfortunately hes still wayyyy too quick to
1. say stupid stupid things and
2. get defensive when somebody calls him out on number 1.
but all in all the brinboy from 2 weeks ago was so rediculously ignorant that even people that agreed with him, didnt want him to agree with them. and he was one of the 2 people to ever make me even CONSIDER FIGURING OUT how to ignore people on this forum.
where as the brinboy of today is just kind of annoying, and too vocal with his opinions, opinions which he has learned to admit beforehand when said opinions are meaningless for whatever situation.
ex. he has learned to admit that he has no idea what hes talking about, when he gives his opinion on lucas's abilitys

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Airdodge. Hold a grenade so you both blow up, and damage trades are in Snake's favour because he outlives MK by at least 50%, often more. Use b-air since it has crazy priority.

Snake's weakness is indeed being in the air, but he still lots of options because this game gives defense overall such great power in matches.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
why did you post that i answered the question lol...

and here i thought you were going to expound on something I said
rofl

infomon

Smash Scientist
KID: siiiiiiiiiigh, alriiiiiight, fine, I'll try and grant him a clean slate for the next few posts of his I see.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
lol, missed this

Inui you are EXTREMELY BIASED toward your own experiences. I hope NinjaLink plays well against you next set so you see.
And what are you? You're even worse. Actually, I don't know. You realize your own bias in conversations with me...but keep going with it anyways and probably truly believe it. Which is worse?

Meta Knight does not lose to Diddy Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom