• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Nice summary
Guess it's time 4 all of us to improve
;D
Or just pick Metaknight...... :ohwell:
I don't know why people still say nonsense like this. It's been proven countless times that MK isn't required in the slightest to beat other MKs. We have seen lots of players beating top MKs in tourney:

Roy_R beating Dojo with Marth, Boss beating Forte with Luigi, NL beating M2K with Diddy (TWICE!), Azen beating everyody except M2K with Lucario, Bum beating Inui with DK, Atomsk beating Omni and Forte with Dedede and Inui with Olimar, Kirby beating (I think) Forte with Kirby. The GERM beating Sean with Wolf. Reflex beating M2K with Wario. Sliq ****** every MK he faces (with BOWSER!). Santi beating Dojo with Marth.

How many more times do other characters than MK have to beat good MKs to open people's eyes?

OmegaExile is completely right. Pick a character who doesn't completely suck against MK, learn the match-up and become a better player overall.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't know why people still say nonsense like this. It's been proven countless times that MK isn't required in the slightest to beat other MKs. We have seen lots of players beating top MKs in tourney:

Roy_R beating Dojo with Marth, Boss beating Forte with Luigi, NL beating M2K with Diddy (TWICE!), Azen beating everyody except M2K with Lucario, Bum beating Inui with DK, Atomsk beating Omni and Forte with Dedede and Inui with Olimar, Kirby beating (I think) Forte with Kirby. The GERM beating Sean with Wolf. Reflex beating M2K with Wario. Sliq ****** every MK he faces (with BOWSER!). Santi beating Dojo with Marth.

How many more times do other characters than MK have to beat good MKs to open people's eyes?

OmegaExile is completely right. Pick a character who doesn't completely suck against MK, learn the match-up and become a better player overall.
Except in the tournaments where this happened, those MKs that you're saying lost still win the tournament.

Also, what MKs has Sliq *****? O_o

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I so passionately argued for/againt for months on the general boards once again ended up being in agreement with the majority of the SBR? Shocking. Simply shocking.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What I so passionately argued for/againt for months on the general boards once again ended up being in agreement with the majority of the SBR? Shocking. Simply shocking.
Yuna, we didn't read your posts. A few made funny comments about your diatribes though.

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, he's just saying he's smart, like those smart ppl in the SBR.

Here's a cookie, Yuna. *gives a cookie*

Edit: For the record, I did read Yuna's posts, and argued alongside them for quite some time lol. I'm..... not as sure anymore; about the ban, I mean. I still think the current tournament results do not quite demonstrate that MK is ban-worthy (altho it's pretty close IMO, but that's just a personal ban-worthy threshold that certainly isn't universal).

But my problem is that when I look at MK as a character, like his actual abilities, priority mechanics, etc.... it really seems like he should be winning even more than he is. He just has so many strengths and options, I'll even say depth and potential. I think as MK's actually get threatened by high-level strategies, they'll be able to come up with more ways to counter those situations than other characters. MK will always be a step ahead.

That's just my personal observations though, and we should prolly wait until MK is clearly ban-worthy-dominant in tournaments before making a decision. But there's a problem -- a "soft ban" is already happening in lots of places. Nothing official, for sure, but lots of people choose not to play MK simply because he's so "cheap". Yes, this is scrubby, but hear me out...

Suppose MK is ban-worthy (by Yuna's criteria, say), but half our great players refuse to play him because they'd find Brawl boring if it's all just MK dittos; they're trying real hard to find ways to counter MK, even though it's a guaranteed losing battle, even beyond slight-advantage. You can argue that they're scrubs, but.... this shows a community in severe peril. The "play-to-win" POV would say they should take up MK so that we eventually prove that he's ban-worthy, we ban him, and the game proceeds happily. But in the interim, that really really sucks, and many of these people will drop Brawl instead of adopting MK. The conclusion is that the people that were right about MK, are rejected from the competitive scene.

Ppl say that North America has no "honour" so soft-bans don't happen, but that's false. Personal honour-bans happen (and there's enough trash-talking "oh you play MK, that's cuz you suck lol" that happens to encourage this), so that we're in an unfortunate fragmented situation..... iunno, sorry for the rant, but it's just an odd place for the community to be at.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, we didn't read your posts. A few made funny comments about your diatribes though.
I never said thew SBR read my argument and weighed them in. I said that what I argued for/against ended up being in agreement with what the majority of the SBR decided on (it being whether or not to ban MK).

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Except in the tournaments where this happened, those MKs that you're saying lost still win the tournament.
Really? Does Azen ever place behind MKs other than M2K? Did Dojo win Hobo 11 after geting beaten by Roy_R? No. He didn't even place higher than him. M2K had to use D3 to beat Reflex' Wario. The first time NL managed to beat M2K...i think M2K placed 4th with NL, Chu and Azen before him. None of them used MK. So no, you're certainly not right here.

I should have mentioned that I was talking about doubles. My bad.

His name was DSF btw

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Er... I was there. It was one stock on rainbow cruise. Awesome, yes, but not anything more than a one-time deal. I beat Vidjo's MK in a set with ROB. So? o_O

Inui

Banned via Warnings
We are already seeing Diddy rise up as a potential counter to Metaknight and certain other players winning tournaments consistently without MK in tow.
lol that's just NinjaLink vs Mew2King. Diddy doesn't win the match-up at all. I've never lost to a Diddy with MK, including NL. >_>;

Snake has the advantage.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
infzy, choosing to softban a character is not a scrubby decision

a softban is a personnal decision... hence why the ban is ''soft''

the possibility of being a scrub kicks in when you try to push your decision onto others

therefore, the softbanner has the right to not play MK because he has no fun playing him

however he can't complain about other MK mains or blame his losses on MK's advantage

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

i know he lost a set that he shouldnt have to KingAce not too long ago.
But my problem is that when I look at MK as a character, like his actual abilities, priority mechanics, etc.... it really seems like he should be winning even more than he is. He just has so many strengths and options, I'll even say depth and potential. I think as MK's actually get threatened by high-level strategies, they'll be able to come up with more ways to counter those situations than other characters. MK will always be a step ahead.

That's just my personal observations though, and we should prolly wait until MK is clearly ban-worthy-dominant in tournaments before making a decision.
this is what ive been saying for a while and its all exceedingly true
Er... I was there. It was one stock on rainbow cruise. Awesome, yes, but not anything more than a one-time deal. I beat Vidjo's MK in a set with ROB. So? o_O
this

lol that's just NinjaLink vs Mew2King. Diddy doesn't win the match-up at all. I've never lost to a Diddy with MK, including NL. >_>;
and this.
Snake has has a better chance than others but not an advantage over MK, no one does
its still up in the air.
infzy, choosing to softban a character is not a scrubby decision

a softban is a personnal decision... hence why the ban is ''soft''

the possibility of being a scrub kicks in when you try to push your decision onto others

therefore, the softbanner has the right to not play MK because he has no fun playing him

however he can't complain about other MK mains or blame his losses on MK's advantage
i do.

i john, yell and complain about MK as much as humanly possible (doesnt mean that i DONT try to get better tho.) i blame everything on MK
id blame my mothers death and the war in iraq on MK if i could.
thats how you get other people to join the softban. you guilt them into it

RDK

Smash Hero
People are still *****ing about MK? Gimme a break.

As soon as people get their way and have MK banned, they're going to go right back to whining about Snake, and then ROB, and all the way down until we just have mid-tier.

As soon as the top 5 spots in every tournament are MK, there's no reason to ban him.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
lolwut? who complains about snake now? AND WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT ROB AND THE OTHER TOP TIER CHARACTERS?! :laugh:

I use kirby and i still do good against snakes and that's kirby's worst match up "tied with marth"

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm glad a decision was finally reached.........maybe we can put this nonsense behind us.

RDK

Smash Hero
lolwut? who complains about snake now? AND WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT ROB AND THE OTHER TOP TIER CHARACTERS?! :laugh:

I use kirby and i still do good against snakes and that's kirby's worst match up "tied with marth"
So do I. Which is all the more reason to stop *****ing about Metaknight.

My point was that there are two groups of people in this debate. One group is anti-competitive and wants all the characters to be exactly equal so that everyone has a chance. The other group is actually sensible about these things and knows how figthing games work.

Not all the characters are equal. That's just how it works. There's no fighting game out there with a completely balanced roster, although some games may come close. Once you start banning a character for vaguely defined reasons, people are going to follow it to its logical conclusion and start banning other characters for even more vaguely defined reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom