• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Alright, so i feel like I have a pretty good idea of the matchup chart

I know I have neglected R.O.B. for a while but the bumbling robot is back in action taking on the wifiknights

I've found watching chibo and ocean gives me really good ideas of how to counter many options I couldn't conquer in the past. I'm not really an inventer of ideas per se

Anyways, here's my thoughts on the matchup chart

:rob:
-3: I feel like MK isn't quite this bad. I'd rather fight MK than most matchups though because i know him so well and it's the matchup with rob i know the best, so i could be biased.
-2: :dedede: :fox: :zerosuitsamus: :metaknight: (metaknight is definitely the worst of the bunch)
-1: :diddy: :gw: :lucario: :pikachu2: :snake: :toonlink: :wario: :falco: :olimar: :marth:(I think falco vs rob sucks, but lets be serious, gimping falco should be expected of high level play. ROB also outlasts falco, the initial damage game falco tears it up but in terms of lasting rob wins overall. Olimar isn't -2, there are like 6 million ways to beat olimar with ROB, it's hard but it's certainly not -2. Marth definitely beats rob, any proper marth should never let rob get back on-stage. NEO knows how to do it so i assume all of the other marths can also. )
0: :peach: :pit: :sheilda: :wolf: :dk2: (these i can agree with)
1: :kirby2: :bowser2: :ike: :link2: :lucas: :luigi2: :mario2: :ness2: :pt: :samus2: :sheik: :sonic: :yoshi2: :zelda: :popo: (Why isn't ice climbers a rob positive matchup? I have no idea. rob beats them on even final. I need some kind of video as to why this matchup is close to even, it might even be -2. Rob also definitely beats kirby. Kirby plays the same air game as marth, except nair can beat it. You can camp kirby much more easier than marth, and bair wins on everything except the third kick of fair (and even that can trade) so i don't see why this is even. )
2: :falcon:
3: :ganondorf: :jigglypuff:

Anyways thats my thoughts i've been training my rob with ee against all of his characters (he uses mk, falco, dedede, wario, snake, among others)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
From that list I would personally change:

-Swap Falco and Fox
-Peach Shelda Wolf to +1
-Marth to +1 - No really, ROB kind of shuts down Marth lol
-PT to +2
-Ganondorf to +2
-Diddy to 0
-Yoshi to +2

Then possibly Olimar to -2 and Wario to 0

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Could you please explain why ROB kind of shuts Marth down?
I'm rather curious.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I'm guessing the answer will be: angled ftilt, gyro, laster, and fair/bair gimps

I just need a way around marth's fair and i'll agree with chibo's assessment

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
All of that, and add in angled fsmash as well.

What about Marth's fair? When you're on the ground you can ftilt it or if Marth is too close then shield grab it. You can rarely fsmash it, but that's more used to beat nair approaches. You can also throw gyro OOS but it's rare for you to be holding a gyro in this MU, since it's used much better to stay on the ground to limit where Marth can land from SH approaches.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Chibo explain how rob beats grounded marth lol
can't even run up grab to beat them shielding at ftilt range since lol upb.

:phone:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Man, so many things I don't agree with here. Kirby is even, no doubt, if anything it would be in his favor if it wasn't even. Marth is even as long as we stay on stage. Ganon is basically +4. When I play the MU right (basically really gay) Ganon can't do ****. Trust me, I play DLA all the time.

I'll explain things better later, I have class now.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Some of these MU decisions sound like some of you don't even use R.O.B...

Not in any order, but BY FAR, R.O.B's HARDEST MU's are DDD, MK, Olimar, Falco, Snake, Marth, and ZSS (ONLY if they use the infinite.)

EVERY OTHER SINGLE MU is VERY MUCH winnable. If you even go as far as to say someone like GW is a -1, you are obviously not a R.O.B main. When have any of you ever, EVER been utterly destroyed by a GW, when have you ever been two-stocked or even worse from a GW. I bet every single one of you can NEVER recall that happening.

People don't think a MU through, just because you have one bad experience doesn't mean you should preach it to be a -4.

I never try to help in MU's that I don't have experience in.

I honestly used to believe that R.O.B have a +1 over IC's. I had played many IC's over the 4 years I have been playing Brawl. But it wasn't until a month ago that I lost to my very first IC's. It was because the player took another approach to the MU, this made me re-evaluate the MU now I believe it is even. I have played hundreds of MK's, Snakes, DDD's, Olimar's, and Marth's. By far the only MU's that haven't gotten easier, only harder.

I have only played one or two ZSS's one of which being NR, but even then I don't have enough input to damn it to the deep depths of -4. I personally like the MU if the Infinite isn't performed.

Everyone needs to take a minute and think about a MU before they entirely base it off of their BEST, or WORST experience with it.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Marth and Snake are not anywhere near the level of difficulty as the other characters you listed, and ZSS is a hard MU, infinite or not.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Marth, not so much. But Snake is only beatable if you gimp him. Which is why I put him there, it isn't every match that you get to gimp a Snake. That is why he is difficult. As for ZSS, our Back-air trades with every single one of her moves and she has lag with all of her killing moves besides Bair.

Space against her and spam a lot. Remember she has no good projectiles after he armor suit is gone. Gyro cancels out with Charged B, it can also be reflected fairly easily. And try to stay calm to read those Side-B's. Side-B is probably he hardest move to avoid/get around. As for for her aerials, if grounded keep up your shield until it IS SAFE to punish. If you're in the air, try to get up and around her. Our Nair/Fair cancel out with her Up-B so falling down toward her should be less scary. R.O.B's priority is too important not to know in this MU.

Sorry for comparing Marth to the others, him and Snake aren't even close to as hard as someone like DDD or Olimar. But still fairly difficult.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
@8-bit: So suddenly Marth and Snake, the chars I have always heard are even with Rob are now some kind of hard counters?
Is there no longer any reason to use Rob then except for Diddy who we seem to lose too nowdays...

Zwarm

Smash Hero
One person's opinion =/= fact. I personally believe Diddy is even. Once you learn how to use and deal with bananas, it's not that hard, imo.

:phone:

8Bitman

Smash Master
LZR when did ANYONE EVER say Marth and Snake were even?????

Plus your point is dumb either way, you mentioned 3 characters...... You left out the entire Roster and said R.O.B is pointless, basically...

O-o

@ Sneakytaco, I don't get your post. What do you mean "even with Olimar"????

8Bitman

Smash Master
... I don't know how to make it more clear.

Rob is even with olimar.
No, it was because you had a comma, meaning you were mentioning Olimar was related with the Marth MU.... >.>

May I please hear your explanation as to why you believe Olimar is an even MU....

-LzR-

Smash Hero
LZR when did ANYONE EVER say Marth and Snake were even?????

Plus your point is dumb either way, you mentioned 3 characters...... You left out the entire Roster and said R.O.B is pointless, basically...

O-o
Everyone has always said that Rob goes even with Snake and Marth.

The point about Rob being useless is for me, he is just a secondary, but the MUs I use him for a supposedly counters now, so he is kinda useless to me.

8Bitman

Smash Master
I know, he is a pretty bad character. I am surprised people still decide to pick him up. For whom he counters, there is someone else that counters them better.

I have just been using him since Brawl came out and I refuse to drop him.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I don't have the pleasure to explain why some of you have wrong (like usual since I have better things to do =P) but Olimar is for sure our favour, +2/60:40. Do you agree or is it a matter of time before I get flamed? Mind accepting the fact that R.O.B. even counters him?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Woah. So much bias. We do not beat Olimar sorry.
I don't see a single advantage we have against him either.
Probably a counter imo.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Not our favour, but at the very worst slight disadvantage.

Just train yourself to use downwards Ftilt. knock him off stage, steal his jump, grab the ledge

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
It ****in' blows lmao

It's one of the matchups that I seem to think lesser of compared to others. Most people think its even or -1, I think it's -1 at best, possibly -2 in a way. If TL camps right there is really so little ROB can do.

However are some things I've learned from the matchup...

1. Abuse the time it takes for a TL to pull a bomb. They almost always do it while jumping (if they do it on the ground it's basically a free laser or something for you anyway), so read their (usually double) jump bomb and uair them as they pull it out. This is a pretty reliable way to rack up damage.

2. While off stage (if you aren't already holding a gyro for whatever reason), charge it up and hold onto it for a bit. TL can follow ROB off stage as he falls easily and puts him into one hell of a frame trap. Normally ROB is forced to upB or aerial, and TL can fair him right through either and get a really early kill. You can however get away from this if you wait until the two of you are lined up and then shoot the gyro (or throw if holding) at him to get away. Laser won't work if the TL is good since it's too slow. If they predict the gyro then their attack will clash with it and you can upB past them in their fair lag.

3. TL can frame trap you in the air with upB, and it can kill. Careful. Once it happens there's usually nothing you can do about it, but be careful of the situation.

4. Use your projectiles not as your own spam, but purposefully to disrupt his spam. Remember that lasers go through boomerangs. Abuse his bomb pull animation. Get a fully charged gyro ready, keep distance, then when he bomb pulls as he thinks he's safe (since you're so far away), shoot that gyro when you read the pull and it'll hit him since the time it takes to travel across most stages (not FD though) is less than the time it takes to pull a bomb. Massive damage, possible kill if fresh at high %, etc.

5. TL's best mix ups on ground are air dodges and zairs. Don't get frustrated if you can't beat fair, just try to avoid it like the plague lol. When you know its coming, try to quick dash away to a pivot projectile, don't challenge it with a physical move, it won't work. Shielding can be tough since TL is lagless after it, he can usually still get you with a grab, or a move to shield stab you. Try to avoid it more, and if you read the air dodge (instead of zair) try to land something like bair on him.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Really? I'm honestly not too bad for TL. Then again i was a wifi warrior for the longest time, TL's errywhere

8Bitman

Smash Master
Play Rich Brown, Dabuz, any good Olimar. Then you will realize that Olimar is not even remotely close to our favor...

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Olimar is horrendous against one that really knows the matchup. He is very tough to gimp if he knows what's up, outcamps ROB, kills him earlier, etc. It's like Snake, but a much smaller hitbox lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Rob doesn't really have effective ways to kill off pikmin either. He also leacks effective semispikes that are good against Oli.
I would honestly never play this MU unless I had to, I just hate it. I'll go G&W even though he loses too.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
R.O.B. is one of olimar's most fun MUs because we can juggle the character so hard and pretty much everything olimar has absolutely wrecks R.O.B.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh god dabuz change your text colour.
Yeah the juggle factor is obviously a large issue, Biggest reason for this matchup being unkind. It's obviously hard work for us :(

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But Dabuz, ccst is a lot more legit than you. You are just a random one of the best Olimars in the Usa, no one takes you seriously here.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
R.O.B. is one of olimar's most fun MUs because we can juggle the character so hard and pretty much everything olimar has absolutely wrecks R.O.B.
Excuse me? Never thought of R.O.B.'s superb ground game against him? First of all we have the D-tilt. Do I even need to explain? IT IS BEASTLY indeed! The D-tilt is so safe and spammable that Olimar can't grab R.O.B. unless he perfect shields it, pivoting or having blue ones. Have you ever gotten interrupted when you tried to grab him only to get canceled by his frame 3 D-tilt? Yeah, so now Olimar can't grab as much as he wants to in comparision to other MUs.

Then we have the gyro which kills the Pikmin, the laser which goes through them etc. We can gimp him "fairly" easy, with jab/grabs/tilts being excellent tools against him, heck even side-B is fine if doing properly. F-tilt is unsafe if it gets shielded, but not D-tilt LoL it's soooo good in the MU, consider it more! I think the D-smash is an excellent tool and have the priority to beat Olimar's attacks, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if it's true?

Okay, Olimar can poke, juggle and kill better than us, especially in the air, he has power... but that's about it; or am I sorely mistaken?

The key to this MU is to play aggro, IMO. It's the one of the funniest MUs with R.O.B. in Brawl along R.O.B. dittos. But I agree, when Olimar grabs R.O.B. there's going to be painful time for him to reach the ground again. Nah not really just fly off-stage and go for the ledge. Problem? I don't underestimate Olimar's off-stage skills but it's risky, really. Camping? Find a way around it, I did. Either reflect (you have better options), Up-tilt, ignore them or use the gyro, among other things. R.O.B. has so many options against Olimar it clearly is R.O.B.'s advantage. Did I mention that R.O.B. is one of the best gimpers in Brawl too? Also, if we don't kill Olimar he gets gimped. Not all of the times but it happens.

Then again, I'm sure you Olimar mainers found a strategy around it, just like Link did. I think that the reason you still think Olimar wins is the fact that America plays very campy. Of course Olimar wins if both camps, but have you ever faced an aggro R.O.B. about the same skill level as you? Then I think you had a tough time beating R.O.B., but I might be wrong.

TL;DR: R.O.B. has the frame data and range to shut down Olimar's ground game, with quick tilts (most noteable the D-tilt), and a better frame data in the ground overall than Olimar. Playing aggro and smart is the key to victory IMO, but never underestimate Olimar's aerial game as well as his ground game. R.O.B. can gimp Olimar fairly easy (I gimped one once with a dash attack LoL, but it doesn't count obviously), but if both start to camp then Olimar wins for sure. I'm not saying Olimar is a free win, but it's much easier than many actually think it is.

Break the mind block and realise that it's YOU who can't beat the Olimar, not R.O.B., because he does. So, can anyone prove me wrong, how can Olimar win/find a way against R.O.B.'s ground game? I love this MU, and would love to get in an only-Olimar pool someday. <3
Don't think I underestimate him as said, but I think people don't play aggro enough against him, that's all. Use the D-tilt, a lot! It will be interesting how this MU will develope and mostly how Olimar will overcome R.O.B.'s quick-ranged, decent priority attacks. ([~O]

And no, I'm not biased. Usually I'm a pessimist about R.O.B.'s MUs, but I had reveal the "truth" about this MU. Yet again, I hate to discuss the theoretically aspects of the game since it's only the practial that counts IMO, but I had to bounce in. ;) +2/60:40 for sure.

Toon Link is -2/40:60 to us, but I don't care to explain it right now.

And LoL Zelda is a slight advantage to us. Stop trolling Fuujin. ;P
Defenitely one of Zelda's "better" MUs but she still loses. Poor Zelda...

Top Bottom