• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

sneakytako

Smash Lord
This might be one of the greatest pictures I have ever seen.

BTW, since none of you are top JAPANESE ROBs, I can't anyone here seriously as well :l
And you aren't a top JAPANESE olimar, you don't know anything about your char either.

Oh btw, who can understand Japenese better?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah dabuz, Matchup ratio's are-by definition-the chances of each side winning when two players at the very best of their characters metagame go against each other
By tha logic. No-one in here can say anything :troll:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Excuse me? Never thought of R.O.B.'s superb ground game against him? First of all we have the D-tilt. Do I even need to explain? IT IS BEASTLY indeed! The D-tilt is so safe and spammable that Olimar can't grab R.O.B. unless he perfect shields it, pivoting or having blue ones. Have you ever gotten interrupted when you tried to grab him only to get canceled by his frame 3 D-tilt? Yeah, so now Olimar can't grab as much as he wants to in comparision to other MUs.

Then we have the gyro which kills the Pikmin, the laser which goes through them etc. We can gimp him "fairly" easy, with jab/grabs/tilts being excellent tools against him, heck even side-B is fine if doing properly. F-tilt is unsafe if it gets shielded, but not D-tilt LoL it's soooo good in the MU, consider it more! I think the D-smash is an excellent tool and have the priority to beat Olimar's attacks, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if it's true?

Okay, Olimar can poke, juggle and kill better than us, especially in the air, he has power... but that's about it; or am I sorely mistaken?

The key to this MU is to play aggro, IMO. It's the one of the funniest MUs with R.O.B. in Brawl along R.O.B. dittos. But I agree, when Olimar grabs R.O.B. there's going to be painful time for him to reach the ground again. Nah not really just fly off-stage and go for the ledge. Problem? I don't underestimate Olimar's off-stage skills but it's risky, really. Camping? Find a way around it, I did. Either reflect (you have better options), Up-tilt, ignore them or use the gyro, among other things. R.O.B. has so many options against Olimar it clearly is R.O.B.'s advantage. Did I mention that R.O.B. is one of the best gimpers in Brawl too? Also, if we don't kill Olimar he gets gimped. Not all of the times but it happens.

Then again, I'm sure you Olimar mainers found a strategy around it, just like Link did. I think that the reason you still think Olimar wins is the fact that America plays very campy. Of course Olimar wins if both camps, but have you ever faced an aggro R.O.B. about the same skill level as you? Then I think you had a tough time beating R.O.B., but I might be wrong.

TL;DR: R.O.B. has the frame data and range to shut down Olimar's ground game, with quick tilts (most noteable the D-tilt), and a better frame data in the ground overall than Olimar. Playing aggro and smart is the key to victory IMO, but never underestimate Olimar's aerial game as well as his ground game. R.O.B. can gimp Olimar fairly easy (I gimped one once with a dash attack LoL, but it doesn't count obviously), but if both start to camp then Olimar wins for sure. I'm not saying Olimar is a free win, but it's much easier than many actually think it is.

Break the mind block and realise that it's YOU who can't beat the Olimar, not R.O.B., because he does. So, can anyone prove me wrong, how can Olimar win/find a way against R.O.B.'s ground game? I love this MU, and would love to get in an only-Olimar pool someday. <3
Don't think I underestimate him as said, but I think people don't play aggro enough against him, that's all. Use the D-tilt, a lot! It will be interesting how this MU will develope and mostly how Olimar will overcome R.O.B.'s quick-ranged, decent priority attacks. ([~O]

And no, I'm not biased. Usually I'm a pessimist about R.O.B.'s MUs, but I had reveal the "truth" about this MU. Yet again, I hate to discuss the theoretically aspects of the game since it's only the practial that counts IMO, but I had to bounce in. ;) +2/60:40 for sure.

Toon Link is -2/40:60 to us, but I don't care to explain it right now.

And LoL Zelda is a slight advantage to us. Stop trolling Fuujin. ;P
Defenitely one of Zelda's "better" MUs but she still loses. Poor Zelda...
TL;DR:

Well, I actually read the first two paragraphs. We can shield the dtilt and upsmash you out of shield, GUARANTEED to hit/ maybe trade even if you spam dtilt. Gyro beating pikmin...lol...so your gonna sacrifice control of your best projectile to stop a pikmin or 2, when we have an army more to throw?

I'll care about this MU when I see high/ top level ROBs beating high/ top level Olimars.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
And you aren't a top JAPANESE olimar, you don't know anything about your char either.

Oh btw, who can understand Japenese better?
Of course I'm not a top Japanese olimar, but I have outplaced/ placed with/ defeated one of them. You spelled Japanese wrong in the second sentence, I will now pretend all your posts are troll.

Yeah dabuz, Matchup ratio's are-by definition-the chances of each side winning when two players at the very best of their characters metagame go against each other
By tha logic. No-one in here can say anything :troll:
There is a reason we don't use ratios now. Numbers (+/-1/2/ect.) are meant to define the difficulty of a MU, not the exact win/loss ratio that should happen.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Of course I'm not a top Japanese olimar, but I have outplaced/ placed with/ defeated one of them. You spelled Japanese wrong in the second sentence, I will now pretend all your posts are troll.

There is a reason we don't use ratios now. Numbers (+/-1/2/ect.) are meant to define the difficulty of a MU, not the exact win/loss ratio that should happen.
I know, the definition of it should still be 'playing to the optimal metagame warrants x wrecks y this hard' etc.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
How can I argue with you when you didn't even read what I wrote? Lame... >_>
Then don't call me wrong when I state the MU as an advantage to R.O.B. LoL. May I ask you what exactly makes R.O.B./Olimar easy/hard then?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The only "real" advantage you told in the whole mess of text is how awesome Robs dtilt is and Dabuz told you he can punish it with his strongest move every damn time. Woo hoo.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
You obviously didn't read/get what I wrote either. First of all you say I can't argue, and then you show that in my face? Never mind, I'm never going to argue with you ever again. R.O.B. wins period.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
A random player from Sweden no one has ever heard about claims to be correct when everyone else disagrees. I like where this is going.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I like how scandinavians are all over the same threads as me. yet I'm certain all bar finland has no community :B

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Finland has an awesome community, though I am alone here in SWF :S
Sweden has nothing.
Norway has an awesome community and some of them are alone here with me in SWF.
Also GP, you are awesome, wish I can play against you some day. I was supposed to attend some London tourney last month, but it was on the same days as my tourney. Gotta love getting owned by Europeans.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think ccst should first show us a video of him beating the best Swedish Olimar and the we can watch dabuz play against a Rob and see who plays better.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Finland has an awesome community, though I am alone here in SWF :S
Sweden has nothing.
Norway has an awesome community and some of them are alone here with me in SWF.
Also GP, you are awesome, wish I can play against you some day. I was supposed to attend some London tourney last month, but it was on the same days as my tourney. Gotta love getting owned by Europeans.
Haha, You should have come! We got a big one coming up in leichester soon, if youre going to attend a UK event soon, thats the one you want!
And you should have gone to OoC (the one youre on about) because i was seriously on point, Went SERIOUSLY close against calsorz :B

Also, SWEDISH olimar?
Sorry, but i don't think izaw plays olimar

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Then I guess I have to prove my statement. I'm up for MMs Olimar mainers! If... we even see each other IRL someday that is lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
European Olimars? Where?
Also, not sure when I'm coming, but I think I will, depending on the cost.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Then I guess I have to prove my statement. I'm up for MMs Olimar mainers! If... we even sees each other IRL someday that is lol.
come to the UK, we have a fair few. theyre scrubby. but the best europe has got XD

Look, i had to travel all the way to america to prove myself as a non-scrub to the ikes and show them that i simply just hate fighting in ike dittos XD

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Just curious dabuz, who do you think beats Olimar? I agree with you that ROB doesn't, I'm just wondering.

:phone:
MK, falco, ICs. Possibly Marth, but IDK the MU at all.

After seeing the way Nietono plays and copying his stuff, im starting to think oli-ics MIGHT be even.

Leaving all thats left for beating olimar as: MK, falco.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Luigi? HAHAHAHAHA! We can whistle his jab->up-B and upsmash EVERYTHING that touches olimar's shield.

Also, olimar is indeed WAAAAAAAAAAAY too good.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I know, I just remember the 08 metagame where everyone was like "OMG LUIGI'S NAIR BEATS UP SMASH, LUIGI'S FAVOR."

I didn't know he could whiste up B though, that's pretty freaking awesome.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Yeah. Olimar is quite the **** when you look at his frame data. Also, that was the perspective until late 2010 (when upsmash Out of Shield was discovered)

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yeah. Olimar is quite the **** when you look at his frame data. Also, that was the perspective until late 2010 (when upsmash Out of Shield was discovered)
Oh, didn't know that. I thought the Luigi thing died out in 09. It really took that long to discover up smash OoS? I'm guessing it was around the time Brood beat M2K?

Damn it, I should just pick up Olimar...

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i always liked the idea of using olimar
I can never tell which pikmin i got next thought. that always screws with me

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Rage can be fun. Plus I enjoy camping. Idk, I'll give him a shot. Last time I tried picking him up, I was still a horrible player, so it didn't work out.

Mind giving me some pointers to start out?

:phone:

8Bitman

Smash Master
BTW, since none of you are top JAPANESE ROBs, I can't anyone here seriously as well :l
We don't have to be top Japanese R.O.B's to be taken seriously. OCEAN beat M2K because of a fluke, that is the only reason why everyone is saying Japanese R.O.B's are amazing... If there is another reason tell me.

You obviously didn't read/get what I wrote either. First of all you say I can't argue, and then you show that in my face? Never mind, I'm never going to argue with you ever again. R.O.B. wins period.
You have obviously never played a good Olimar. There is no point to argue it with us since you don't have the MU experience to prove it. Olimar is ****ing broken. You make it sound like our tilt's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, when in fact Olimar never has to get close to win. He out ranges us, he is stronger than us, and unless the Olimar SEVERELY ****S up we can't gimp them. Dabuz is an amazing Olimar, listen to him. I would say the same about me as a R.O.B player, but I don't have the Tourney attendance to prove anything.

TL;DR:

nyaa~
^^^ That's a sexy guy right there.

Top Bottom