• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Real Way to Get Better with Falco

Choice

Smash Champion
excellent use of caz.

camping is indeed smart, but your opponent doesnt typically enjoy it.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Just know that camping is not the same as spamming. People tend to call camping "spamming" when it's really not (Dair-Knight, Peanut spam, Tjolt spam, etc...).

If all you do is SHDL and Side B when your opponent is close (usually a Falco-roll length away) without any mixups. it becomes a predictable pattern for your opponent to take advantage of. Run, powershield, punish the short hop, or baiting the side-B and punishing that.

From far away, using SHDL is fine, though sometimes I mix that up with grounded lasers. But, just learn to conserve your short hops and learn how the opponent/character will punish it (MK's usually run>forward roll behind you or Tornado your short hop from above. Snake will Dash Attack. Marth can just powershield everything and style on you, ETC). I'm one to conserve my short hops very often. I tend to jump then fast fall down to Jab or just WALK... rather CREEP INCH BY INCH towards them to see what they'll do. I mixup my game when I'll side b and when I'll do something else.

On flat stages, move around. You don't always have to be in one spot. But, Final-D is your stage. Go there if you can and abuse it to hell.

Empty short hops are a great mixup as well. Your opponent will hesitate to rush in knowing that if you empty hop you can do anything while landing and hit them, or Side-B away and reset the position.

Choice

Smash Champion
yea, pretty much spam is just mindless. at least that's how i see it.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Learning to camp smartly and be able to mix-it up very well is the most important factor of falco imo but also imo its one of the hardest things to get near perfection

Choice

Smash Champion
autopiloting isnt bad, its just bad when you only know how to autopilot.

Choice

Smash Champion
that is true. you definitely want to start off always thinking and then implement autopilot later.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I agree with what choice said.

Trying your hardest every match will make you lose your mental juice, and unlike larry the rest of us aren't addicted to red bull so we can't refill it that easily.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Look at the West Coast and their ****ty grammar.
That's the first way to really get better as Falco...

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I think Falco's should use jab a lot more. His jab is broken and much safer then SHDL all damn day.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Why would you jab a shield ? If you want to poke a defensive opponent just use Ftilt or phantasm.

Also the real way to get better with Falco ? You just have to stop relying on his broken moveset.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Learning to camp smartly and be able to mix-it up very well is the most important factor of falco imo but also imo its one of the hardest things to get near perfection
I think this is true. Too many times Falcos will all into a pattern and get punished. To perfect camping takes MU knowledge knowing your spacing and timing as well as the keeping yourself in a safe situation during mix ups.

Why would you jab a shield ? If you want to poke a defensive opponent just use Ftilt or phantasm.

Also the real way to get better with Falco ? You just have to stop relying on his broken moveset.
is jab on shield really that bad? i have been grabed out of shiled for jabing before but the timing is strict. also jab cancel to bait the grab then punish the shield grab with fsmash maybe? how about dtilt on shield if you are out of grab range it will push them too far to punish you since dtilt has fast cool down.

Player is holding shield you can empty SH behind them and grab. If the roll before you grab illusion or lasor and reset. you can get punished for emply SH to grab so dont get predictable.

just some thoughts.

Choice

Smash Champion
you can get grabbed out of jab 1 or 2, but jab seriously is amazing.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Well, you can generally tell whether an opponent is gonna go for shield grab by trying it once or twice but if you mix up instant aaa inf it can kinda help? Also i agree that ftilt/dtiltt are better for defensive opponents who try to stop falco's jabs (lmao riiiight like that'll happen :troll:)

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
There's a lot of things you can get away with if the person you're playing isn't that good at the Falco match up. I'd check to see how gimmicky you can be, then tone it down accordingly.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
There's a lot of things you can get away with if the person you're playing isn't that good at the Falco match up. I'd check to see how gimmicky you can be, then tone it down accordingly.
lol i never thought of it like that i just did what works. but i will try so annoying things like phantasm back and fourth if i figure out he is afraid of it and dose not know who to punish.

Choice

Smash Champion
Seriously if someone keeps getting hit by phantasm or shields it and doesnt punish, i'll do it over and over.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
If it's easy to read, there's a problem. If you're using it somewhere it's easy to react to, there's also a problem.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I dont even plan when I use it. I just do it. And it hits lol. My Phantasm patterns with Falco are really erratic :)

Also how the hell are we supposed to use Down tilt? I occasionally use it when the opponent is trying to reach the ledge but thats about it.

Also how the hell are we supposed to use Down tilt? I occasionally use it when the opponent is trying to reach the ledge but thats about it.
Different ways on trying to kill people.

Ftilt keeps people away from falco and gives him room to laser camp, but he cannot really follow-up on ftilt unless it pushes someone into an edgeguard position. Dtilt gives falco a better position to follow-up on in the center of the stage.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Different ways on trying to kill people.

Ftilt keeps people away from falco and gives him room to laser camp, but he cannot really follow-up on ftilt unless it pushes someone into an edgeguard position. Dtilt gives falco a better position to follow-up on in the center of the stage.
Laser lock son!

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
^^This

and Bdacus.

But why would you want to follow up on Ftilt to begin with ?
I think f-tilt has too much knockback for BDACUS?

And because it's ****ing ftilt and Brawl has combos.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
the best way to get better with falco is to play falco against larrys metaknight.

I swear that will make you amazing with falco

swordsaint

Smash Master
imo the real way to get better with falco (while practicing and not actually in a tournament set) is to be more aggressive.

Every falco should know how to camp but if you're camping like all the time you're not gonna get the feel and know your options as well as you could up close.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
camp with falco its what he is good at. Understand cqc and use it once you have put your opponent into a bad situation jab and grab are nasty

Top Bottom