• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Real Way to Get Better with Falco

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Play safer, Falco has such a good keep away game and it should be used more. His ftilt is impossible to punish on block if spaced by most characters.

Practice doing his bdacus and regular dacus more consistently, but don't also learn to not overuse it or be too obvious with it.

Be more aggressive in the air, Falco's aerials are really good at frame trapping people. He's also one of the best characters at juggling in the game, so there's not many reasons why you shouldn't be chasing characters in the air.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Please more info with falco and what ever info you give I will listen.
Also just learned how to do a consistant dacus /bdacus i noticed there is alot of lag if you miss with it and past posts you said after what ever attacks just keep camping. Most characters falco faces are pro in the air which moves on which character?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Mastering the keep away game takes a long time though cuz you can get baited/punished easily if you don't constantly mix it up. I'd love to know which aerials are best for frame trapping people. I could see uair/nair possibly. I dont think bair would.
I was always scared to ftilt on shield cuz i figured it would be punishable. Now i know.

/gonnabeacampy*****

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
i think falco's should wavebounce more.
I feel like putting wavebouncing Falco's game is good and bad. If you're consistent with it there's so many more options it opens up for you, but if you mess up there's the possibility of doing a side b and killing yourself.

Choice

Smash Champion
isnt that the case with inputting anything incorrectly though? there's always some risk involved, though i mean you might not necessarily kill yourself each time, but for example if you buffer a dash attack incorrectly for example, and dsmash instead, you're leaving yourself open to getting punished there as well. i think not implementing into your gamplay til you have it down would be wise though, which pretty much is what you were getting at i think.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
What I'm trying to say is I don't think the risk reward is worth it, unless you're very consistent with it. If you make a mistake you die, plus there's the possibility that it won't work.

Choice

Smash Champion
what do you mean by possibility that it wont work? like that you'll still be hit and so the effort put in wasn't worth it or alluding to some random chance of it not working?

i definitely don't think its one of the first things anyone should work on, but i figure somewhere down the line theoretically it should be helpful.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
what do you mean by possibility that it wont work? like that you'll still be hit and so the effort put in wasn't worth it or alluding to some random chance of it not working?

i definitely don't think its one of the first things anyone should work on, but i figure somewhere down the line theoretically it should be helpful.
I agree with everything you said.

APartofNothing

Smash Apprentice
I play really safe
I fair on shield :awesome:

Just kidding... maybe.
Anyways, kinda helps, most of it I knew but the ftilt is interesting :D I have to add that to my game. aggressive falco for the win

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
i think falco's should wavebounce more.
This x 1000.

It allows for so many mixups especially in close range when you use it correctly. I learned how important it was from playing Arty's Falco actually.

But like Larry said if you F it up the price can be a stock. I practice this is a LOT to make sure I do it correctly. Paying attention to your position on the stage helps too in case God forbid you do Phantasm by mistake so at least that way you dont die. Ive learned to position myself to where if I did screw up I grab the ledge and then I look like a big show off lol

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
This x 1000.

It allows for so many mixups especially in close range when you use it correctly. I learned how important it was from playing Arty's Falco actually.

But like Larry said if you F it up the price can be a stock. I practice this is a LOT to make sure I do it correctly. Paying attention to your position on the stage helps too in case God forbid you do Phantasm by mistake so at least that way you dont die. Ive learned to position myself to where if I did screw up I grab the ledge and then I look like a big show off lol
What falco's use this regularly/well? I'd like to see it implemented in fights

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Only Falco I've seen do it alot was Arty. He short hopped away from Dojo so Dojo started to run at him then he wavebounced towards Dojo and upsmashed him for the match kill. I was quite shocked lol!

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Only Falco I've seen do it alot was Arty. He short hopped away from Dojo so Dojo started to run at him then he wavebounced towards Dojo and upsmashed him for the match kill. I was quite shocked lol!
*****ez don't know

bout me

clowsui

Smash Legend
i've been working on mastering wavebounce. it's a nice spacing mixup and spares you dash distance so that ppl get hit by usmashes/fsmashes lol

gotta make sure you buffer stuff out of it though otherwise it ain't quick enough

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
i've been working on mastering wavebounce. it's a nice spacing mixup and spares you dash distance so that ppl get hit by usmashes/fsmashes lol

gotta make sure you buffer stuff out of it though otherwise it ain't quick enough
You can't work on mastering something. The Nike slogan doesn't say, "just try it". JUST DO IT.

And why is everyone dumbfounded that it works?

ZTD | TECHnology

Its just like any other tech. Practice until you get it done 98% of the time. I say 98% because everyone screws up at some point. But its really just a matter of knowing what you need to do and then applying that knowledge. Its same for ICs desynchs and any other thing that requires tech skill. Just first figure out what you are doing and why you are doing it. Then apply what youve learned until you can do said skill reliably.

And when you practice something practice it in all sorts of situations. Practice when its hot, cold, dark, light, when you've just got out of bed, when you're really exhausted, when you're feeling great. True "mastering" involves being able to to do something in any situation. Your mental state of being is included.

Play safer, Falco has such a good keep away game and it should be used more. His ftilt is impossible to punish on block if spaced by most characters.

Practice doing his bdacus and regular dacus more consistently, but don't also learn to not overuse it or be too obvious with it.

Be more aggressive in the air, Falco's aerials are really good at frame trapping people. He's also one of the best characters at juggling in the game, so there's not many reasons why you shouldn't be chasing characters in the air.
You have made me realize that ideal falco play is incredibly boring to play as xD But, I like it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You have made me realize that ideal falco play is incredibly boring to play as xD But, I like it.
I dunno, he's the only character I can camp with and it still feels exciting.

I had a revelation about a month ago that I have no business approaching and no business fishing for kills. I must have gotten at least twice as good as I was since then. I took it to tourney last weekend and scared the **** out of some people that hadn't seen me in a month or longer, but I got bracket ***** and had to play ****ing M2K (why does he have to be in Alabama at the moment?) in the second round. Still, same **** works. Lasers, jabs, tilts, grabs, nairs, bairs, dairs. He's at 115? Fresh USmash, new stock. I'll be honest though, I could only get two stocks in two rounds.

I play against MK and G&W more than anything as those are the guys I get to play with more than once a month at tournies, so I get a little scared to chase and juggle half the time. I'm going to try and get over that and chase things that aren't Snake.

Forge

Smash Rookie
Yup, really boring.

You just camp and camp over and over.

Hey Larry, could you post a few games that you think show off some of your best camp? It'd be great to have some examples against which i can compare my camp, especially against aggro snakes and metas.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Hey Larry, could you post a few games that you think show off some of your best camp? It'd be great to have some examples against which i can compare my camp, especially against aggro snakes and metas.
This Snake, D3 and MK are my most hated MU's and I need to watch how Larry plays super gay against Snake, D3, and Mk's.

ZTD | TECHnology

I saw the biggest improvement in my Falco when I realized I just need to stay ahead in percent for 8 minutes. Fishing for kills was my major issue before but I just learned to just camp. Its that simple. I already knew how to do all of Falcos techs but I wasnt focusing on being safe. I was more concerned with using all these cool tricks I had learned.

Now im focusing on mixing it up in close quarters now that I have my camp game solid.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I don't think you need to play super "gay"

falcos need to play super smart.

thats honestly the biggest difference between larrys falco and other falcos I've played. There really is just no comparison

if your playing falco right you should be autopiloting anyone who doesn't know the MU

edit choice I see you in here. You down for some chess?

Choice

Smash Champion
if people refer to your falco as gay, you're doing it right.

clowsui

Smash Legend
i honestly think i'm not gay enough sometimes and other times i think i'm too gay

i'm currently not gay enough caz (shoutouts to choice for introducing this word to me) i'm learning how to reincorporate efficient lasering/side-bing into my game...i've forgotten how to effectively camp w/ these moves

like i'm AWARE of how to camp w/ these moves i just don't know how to incorporate it into my overall offensive/pressure-based playstyle

keep in mind i used to camp too much

Top Bottom