• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The other Hip-Hop discussion thread *kuz attempting to make unbiased things is hard*

shalom

Smash Journeyman
quote some sick lines then -___- he is NOT a lyricist. i wish people wouldn't throw that word around so easily. his wordplay is too average and his punchlines are boring and too easy to think of. he's only above average because what's currently being played on the radio is complete trash.

i've heard better than lupe. people tend to overrate him. i'm not saying he's bad. he's better than a ****LOAD of other rappers. but people haven't heard of better because they aren't looking hard enough -__-
he is a lyricist though. his wordplay, vocabulary, and flow are pretty amazing. i'm just sayin. i've heard better.
Please share these amazing lyricists because I would be willing to go line for line with any of them. Seriously you show me something that you think is just better than lupe's best and I am pretty confident I'll show you some of lupe's weaker stuff that is better. On the other hand this debate will get us nowhere because it is all opinion, but I'm still pretty confident in Lupe being better than anyone you could name. lol

I hope you aren't assume I don't look hard enough for good rappers because you would be very mistaken lol

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
and that track is from the only drake mixtape that i actually liked; the "Room For Improvement" mixtape : )

oh we're going back and forth -__- i don't really care if it'll get us anywhere :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnD_CXnXEB8

your turn : )

also, where are those drake lines -__-

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
^gonna have to agree :) wish the album turned out better. there were only a few tracks with replay value to me.

but then again......they made it in only 6 days.

shalom

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how to post links yet so if this doesn't work forgive me lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UxM-weCDC8

This song absolutely blows away "Reality Check", but good call on liking Binary Star. They have been around for a while now.

If you don't think lupe's song is more lyrical I really don't know what to say, and he himself even calls this his weaker stuff. I encourage you to look up the lyrics or I can post them if you want because when you read them while listening and people offer explanations of what he is saying it makes it so much better.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
Master's of the Universe! kinda sucks that they broke up after that album.......but they're finally making another album this year...i believe.....sucks that it took them ten years lol

I firmly believe Cise Starr is better than Lupe : )

......and so is Joe Budden :)

GreenAce

Smash Ace
Rappers i've been listening to latlely Slaughterhouse, old wayne, Asher Roth, Lupe, and a little bit of
charles Hamilton. Slaughterhous needs more hype there too **** good.

And Drake is complete garbage.

shalom

Smash Journeyman
I have heard of them and they are good, but really I feel if you look at the lyrics of "Reality Check" and the lyrics of "Say Something Freestyle" you honestly can't say lupe's lyrics aren't leaps and bounds above binary star. I mean this is why this debate to me is pointless because I feel we will simply always disagree lol I have been listening to reality check a couple times and reading the lyrics and they don't compare man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgsJ3a-v6wM

"I run the game, Bilderberg Group" that is such a sick reference that 99.9% of the people who hear that line don't get. Look up Bilderberg Group and realize how sick that line is lol

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
Charles Hamilton just kinda fell off the earth when he got dropped from interscope lol. but i seen some small clip talkin about he's back so we'll see. Slaughterhouse does deserve way more hype then they're getting. rap super group and nobody's showin them love *smh*

alright. we'll stop debatin and just keep postin dope songs. how about that :chuckle:

shalom

Smash Journeyman
You've got to be joking he is not better than Lupe Fiasco lol See how back and forth this is. I mean "Dumb it Down" is more lyrical than probably 99.9 percent (There is always the chance someone posts something amazing though) of songs any one will post. I feel that if people don't understand lyrics or what something means they just gloss over it, which is a shame.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
i think the tier list in the first page madd wack lol lupe is pretty beast but not better than most unless ur comparing him to mainstream artists then yea lupe makes em look like joke but dont say he;s better than jay z krs one and nas *****s like them are legen. but yea ur missing like at least 40 artist that are in that legend category. theres so much underground old school and present day emcees and mainstream emcees that are on the same level as each others.

shalom

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say Lupe is better than Jay right now especially because Jay is my favorite rapper, but Lupe could definitely make a push after a couple more albums. Yes KRS ONE was very good, but I really never felt him that much, and well Nas is also just ****ing ridiculous lol

On another note is anyone going to the Jay-Z concert in Florida that is coming up? It is going to be ****ing amazing lol

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
Dumb It Down was that lyrical because Lupe was trying to make it that lyrical. the point of the song was to show how lyrical he is. Those weren't just some casual verses that he spit. And i don't think it's as lyrical as Nas's Who Killed It. That song was so complex and had so many references that people actually had to explain and breakdown each and every line. Observe:

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858641766/

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Didn't read the whole thread, just the OP and a few other posts.

Smh @ where LL Cool J is. Your favourite rapper probably reveres LL Cool J.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
****. i didn't even look at the tier list. that's a pretty bad list man lol.

Onyx > Wu-Tang and Tribe Called Quest???? wow.

LL Cool J at average??

Run DMC NOT in legends??

Kanye being a MASTER??

can't go through the whole thing.....it hurts lol

shalom

Smash Journeyman
Dumb It Down was that lyrical because Lupe was trying to make it that lyrical. the point of the song was to show how lyrical he is. Those weren't just some casual verses that he spit. And i don't think it's as lyrical as Nas's Who Killed It. That song was so complex and had so many references that people actually had to explain and breakdown each and every line. Observe:

/http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858641766
There are so many forums that discuss songs and break down lyrics, and a lot that deal with Lupe Fiasco and Dumb it Down lol Lupe's casual verses have so many references that you probably don't get and that might be why you aren't hearing what I hear. If I am wrong then sorry lol

Please look and observe how I can give you the exact same example for Dumb it Down lol

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858686938/

There is a line for line interpretation in there.

For most of the songs you probably think he is trying to be really lyrical those are casual verses to him

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
There are so many forums that discuss songs and break down lyrics, and a lot that deal will Lupe Fiasco and Dumb it Down lol Lupe's casual verses have so many references that you probably don't get and that might be why you aren't hearing what I hear. If I am wrong then sorry lol

Please look and observe how I can give you the exact same example for Dumb it Down lol

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858686938/

There is a line for line interpretation in there.
lol how you gon use my reference against me >_> i understand a majority of lupe's references. kinda sounded like you were calling me shallow right there -___-

Note: I have not touched the OP since summer.
I kind of want to start from scratch, what do you guys think?
that's a must after reading your list

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
i'll help : ) n9ne seems to know what he's talkin about in the other rap thread so he should help too.

shalom

Smash Journeyman
I used the same reference just to show easy it was and how it doesn't actually prove anything lol I can't actually know whether you do get most of his references, admittedly I have to look some up too, because it's the internet and I would have no way of knowing if you were looking **** up lol

Linguini

Smash Master
lol drake doesn't have lyricism. :laugh:
"My money flow like a slit wrist, no band-aid"
really?

"Drake make the hos wobble like a bridge in a earthquake"
really?

"She call me a referee cuz i be so official"
really?

lol

ya'll better watch out for The Great Escape. It's hyped up to be the best rap album of 2010 =X it'sss Joey

:)
Ddid you read my post at all? Your quoting whats been fed to you trhough mainstream. Like I said, download Comeback Season: http://www.getrightmusic.com/2009/0...eback-season-room-for-improvement-2-mixtapes/

I can guarantee anyone who doubted Drake will have their opinions changed after listening to the whole thing.

As for some songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thuy1XgrwCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0PUQuwxxQ-One of my favorites, dope beat by 9th wonder.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
To each his own indeed. But in some instances it is abudantly clear some artists are far superior to others.

Concerning Mr. Greatest Ever -

Drake makes cool music. But he simply is not THAT nice. It's that simple.

*goes reads last few pages*

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
lol when are people gonna start posting these nice *** lines that drake has? and please stop that "you're being fed by the mainstream media" nonsense. just show me why he's nice is all i'm asking. to me, his punchlines are boring and uninspired. he's just not as great as people seem to think.

of course everyone has their own opinion as to what they like and what they don't. as N9NE said, for some, it's clear that they stand out from the rest. drake fits in with the rest to me. maybe my standards are high. i dunno.

Hax

Smash Champion
WTC, Dre, Eminem, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and Run DMC are all Legends imo.

idk about ice cube and onyx being legends

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
ice cube is definitely a legend -__-

he wrote most of the lyrics for NWA and wrote Eazy-E's entire first album. not to mention, AmeriKKKA's Most Wanted and Predator are all classic albums. And he's a part of Westside Connection, whose first album was dope as hell. AND "Are We There Yet" grossed 82 million lmao.

idk about Onyx being legends though. only one i know is stick fingaz lol.

Hax

Smash Champion
my fault, i didn't know much about Ice Cube/i don't listen to him that's why i didn't know. but i looked him up and you're def. right

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
lol that's cool. a lot of people do that. it's hard to explain that the "Are we there yet?" guy used to be a gangsta rapper :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
y'all forgot twista and T.I. in teh masters. Lol at putting common over t.i. in masters. For the most part it's accurate.

Linguini

Smash Master
lol when are people gonna start posting these nice *** lines that drake has? and please stop that "you're being fed by the mainstream media" nonsense. just show me why he's nice is all i'm asking. to me, his punchlines are boring and uninspired. he's just not as great as people seem to think.

of course everyone has their own opinion as to what they like and what they don't. as N9NE said, for some, it's clear that they stand out from the rest. drake fits in with the rest to me. maybe my standards are high. i dunno.
LOL,you have no idea how to rate an artists skill. Your opinion pertaining hip hop is irrelevant. Seems like you don't read my posts, I never said I was posting any "punch lines", but I did post a DL link for comeback season,and two great tracks.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
there should be a category between "Above Average" and "Masters". Above average seems too low and masters seems to high. cool kidz and kidz in the hall are not masters -___- especially if Jadakiss, LL Cool J, Slaughterhouse, and T.I aren't -__- Joe Budden should be in Masters : ) dude is going places.

Linguini, i wasn't talking to you when i was talking about punch lines. And don't act like you know what you're talking about when rating artists skills either. your opinion is just as irrelevant as mines, if that's the case.

albino, is your list based of skills as a rapper or anything pertaining to hip-hop? because i fail to see how pharell made it to above average if we're talking about rapping ability.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Yooooo where is Pharcyde at? Other than ice cube being on legends, this list is pretty good.

Top Bottom