• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The other Hip-Hop discussion thread *kuz attempting to make unbiased things is hard*

T3h Albino

Smash Master
The list is still in no particular order, and I did completely forget about Pharcyde when making it.

Tomorrow we'll start from scratch and build the list up =]

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
lol Cube... uuuh he's alright. I wouldn't put him on legends though, but that's just my opinion. I would probably at least switch places with A Tribe Called Quest.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
Wow never thought I would see people who say they know hip-hop believe that Ice Cube was just alright and TI is better than Common lol
aye yo, me and you on the same wave length right now lol.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Idk, I just can't get in his rap as much as others like lupe, nas etc. It's just an opinion though.

Edit: But I do love "today was a good day" though

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
lol that's cool. it's just that the list should be as unbiased as possible. like, some people like lupe more than nas, but, on an unbiased look at hip hop, nas > lupe.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
maybe. but i dunno. i'm keeping my expectations down for Lasers. It's usually the third album that rappers, and artists in general, have the most trouble creating. the first 2 albums can sounds alike, but by the third album, you have to switch your sound up or people will get bored with it. can't go your whole career with the same sound......unless of course, you're swizz beatz >__>

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Yea i get what yall mean. I also def do see Lupe becoming one of the legends, but that's only if he doesn't quit and keeps this up.

Also, imo, i feel that jay-z should atleast be on the above average to master area, cuz i feel that what he's sending out now is kinda commercial and it aint as "legend" material as some of his stuff used to be back in the day

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
^that's exactly what i was thinking

it's difficult to really make the list because you have to analyze a person's contributions to hip-hop as a culture, as well as their lyricism and consistency in their music.....should be fun trying though : )

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Yea true, never really thought of that.
Also on your new list, you should put Camp lo some where at least from top above average to master. Coolie high and Luchini is to unforgettable.

Oh and before anyone says it, please put Mike Jones and Ricky Bobby in the lol section where they belong.

Edit: Also Gemini for above average. His duos wit Lupe is nice as hell

shalom

Smash Journeyman
@Blu3r: I have high hopes for lasers and lupe switches his flow up more than enough for me. "Im Beamin" got leaked a while ago and even though he was pissed it leaked he said it will be the first single. It's not an amazing song by his standards but its just a sick song in general that doesn't deal with drugs and guns lol

I might catch heat for this, but Mike Jones is definitely not as bad as some people think he is. He isn't great but he certainly isn't as horrible as people like to say he is.

Also Blu3r if you think lupe has had the same flow throughout his career then you really haven't listened to him a good amount. Check out all the Fahrenheit mixtapes and his newest mixtape Enemy of the State, which is just ****ing ridiculous. And a true fan would never get bored listening to lyrics that make you think about a reference or a metaphor in each line.

If you don't believe Jay-Z is a legend/legitimately one of the top rappers to ever do it than you really need to re-evaluate everything you think. lol

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The list shouldn't be about who you like, but about where the artists should deservedly go. Am I fan of Ice Cube? No. Is he a legend? Undoubtedly.

lol at T.I. over Common.

Jay fell off. He is a legend but musically the dude no longer interests me at all. Should've retired after The Black Album.

Blu3r, like I said Swiss Beatz when he was with Ruff Ryders >>>> He made some classics man.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
@Blu3r: I have high hopes for lasers and lupe switches his flow up more than enough for me. "Im Beamin" got leaked a while ago and even though he was pissed it leaked he said it will be the first single. It's not an amazing song by his standards but its just a sick song in general that doesn't deal with drugs and guns lol

I might catch heat for this, but Mike Jones is definitely not as bad as some people think he is. He isn't great but he certainly isn't as horrible as people like to say he is.

Also Blu3r if you think lupe has had the same flow throughout his career then you really haven't listened to him a good amount. Check out all the Fahrenheit mixtapes and his newest mixtape Enemy of the State, which is just ****ing ridiculous. And a true fan would never get bored listening to lyrics that make you think about a reference or a metaphor in each line.

If you don't believe Jay-Z is a legend/legitimately one of the top rappers to ever do it than you really need to re-evaluate everything you think. lol
1. Stop saying a "true hip-hop fan" this and that. It's irritating when people create guidelines on what you have to be to be a real hip-hop fan. And that's coming from a real hip-hop fan :chuckle:.

2. At no point do I say that Lupe never switches his flow up. I said, for the third album, it's toughest for artists because they can't do the same thing they've been doing for the last two albums. That's how you lose fans. Whether you're dope or not is irrelevant. If you're not able to hold anyone's interest because they feel like they've pretty much heard everything from you in your first 2 albums, then it leads to a lack of interest in your future projects. of course there's always gonna be hardcore fans of the artist that will never think they're album is bad. There's still people that think Relapse was a dope album :dizzy:.

3. It's very possible to get bored of an artists' lyrics -__-. Sometimes, presentation > lyrics. I've heard plenty of average emcees who can easily be considered great simply because the way that they rap. DMX is a prime example. I've also heard artists who, lyrically, are great but they're boring as all h***. Like I've always said, there's Lupe fans and then there's rap fans. (Not talking to you when I say this) I've heard too many people who barely listen to rap consider Lupe as the best to ever do it. That might be why i'm kinda hesitant to give him the credit he deserves....

@N9NE: lol I know. But after ruff ryders, he just seemed to create that same upbeat tempo-style beat.

Niko45

Smash Master
Wow people are really that high on Lupe? I mean, he's good, but he's got a long way to go before he's ****in with Nas or anyone like that.

Jay-Z is the GOAT as far as I'm concerned with the versatility to make deep tracks, club tracks, street, pop, personal, kills everything lyrically + silly flows. He really does need to retire now tho...

And I'd just like to say that over the past couple of years one of the only rappers who is really GOING IN when he spits is Kanye West (whether or not those rumors are true about Lupe writing for him are true, it is what it is). Which is pretty funny since when Kanye first came out he was clearly a kinda azz rapper at the time.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Whoa, just saw this.

The following are people or groups who are not on this list and REALLY NEED to be:

- NWA***
- Kool G Rap***
- UGK (Underground Kings)
- EPMD***
- The LOX
- 2 Live Crew
- Salt N' Pepa
- Brand Nubian
- Geto Boys or Scarface***
- Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
- Mobb Deep
- Organized Konfusion or Pharoe Monch
- Afrika Bambaataa
- Whodini
- Naughty by Nature
- Sugarhill Gang***
- Kurupt
- Masta Ace
- De La Soul
- Too $hort (if you're gonna have E-40 you need this guy)
- Goodie Mob
- Lord Finesse
- Three 6 Mafia
- Beastie Boys
- CunninLynguists
- Cypress Hill
- Black Moon
- Hieroglyphics

A few others to consider:

- The Treacherous Three
- Junior Mafia
- Just-Ice
- The D.O.C.

***Especially these

Also wtf at LL being in 'Average' tier. People don't know how influential he was in the mid to late 80s. Move up DMX way up too.

Also it seems if an MC was ever part of a group, the group is posted instead of the one famous MC. If that's the case, replace KRS with Boogie Down Production.

I'm also glad to see Atmosphere getting some love on this list. Aesop Rock is a good underground MC to consider.

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

Sorry if this list is really long, but when making a tier list, there's a lot to consider. I'll probably post more people/groups when I remember them, but this list is a good start.

Hope this helps!!!

Niko45

Smash Master
Aesop Rock embodies pretty much the exact opposite of a good rapper.

Completely off-beat, absurdly obscure metaphors, no song structure or point. The guy just got hit off with some crack beats and basically read really outrageous poems over them.

Most of those people you listed I'm a big fan of, tho. Mobb Deep, UGK, Naughty by Nature, and Scarface especially.

shalom

Smash Journeyman
A couple things:

I agree with Niko on a couple of points first that Jay-Z is the GOAT. Hopefully he gives me more proof of this at his BP3 concert.

Also, people need to start realizing how good Kanye West is and put aside how they feel about him as a person. He is annoying and an immature ******* at times, but he has made some ridiculously good songs, while producing good lyrics for the most part. If you listen to his albums, his features (especially when he is on a track with another sick rapper) then you have to admit he is really ****ing good.

@Blu3r - I agree Relapse was lackluster but it had some really good tracks on it. (He goes insane on "Underground" for like 6 minutes.)
And if you don't want me to say true hip-hop fan then don't be irritating with this whole "that's how you lose fans with your third album" You lose fans if your albums and music start to suck. No feelings were intended to be hurt though lol

Also I'm curious to see what people think of the Clipse. I think they are very good and have been putting out great music for a long time now. Coincidentally one of my favorites out right now is "Kinda Like a Big Deal" featuring Kanye West who delivers and "Popular Demand".

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Good point on Kanye, he's a great producer. As a rapper, he's ok, maybe 6/10. But I totally agree on production. And that he's sometimes a *******.

Linguini

Smash Master
There should be no debate about Jay, his influence on hip-hop culture and music over the past 15 years is unmatched. Not to mention he can still kick it lyrically and doesn't fail to deliver. Thats hard to find.

Kanye is a phenomenal producer and a great emcee as well, def. at least 8/10. The College Dropout(His 1st album) is one of my favorites due to it's ridiculous production quality and Kanye overall just rips every track.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
@Blu3r - I agree Relapse was lackluster but it had some really good tracks on it. (He goes insane on "Underground" for like 6 minutes.)
And if you don't want me to say true hip-hop fan then don't be irritating with this whole "that's how you lose fans with your third album" You lose fans if your albums and music start to suck. No feelings were intended to be hurt though lol
No. You lose fans because you become repetitive and boring. When you first come out, you get a lot of buzz because it's new and refreshing. Then you capitalize off of it on your second album. It's pretty much a fact that your third album has to sound different from your first two, which is why the third album from any artist tends to have lower ratings than the first 2.

And i don't catch feelings from these -___- I enjoy talking about rap :)

shalom

Smash Journeyman
If lupe's album sounds like his past two which were pretty phenomenal then I am fine with it and most of his fans will be too, I can guarantee that. Casual fans might get bored, but people who really listen to him won't at all.

Also lupe was out for a long time before he got buzz and the reason he got buzz was because Jay heard him and wanted to executive produce his album because of how sick he was lol.

But enough talk about this let's move on to something new lol

Niko45

Smash Master
How about the fact that Eminem is too low. He's unquestionably top tier in my opinion.

Other people who are AT LEAST a tier too low:

Luda
Jadakiss
Fab
DMX
LL

Lots of crap in the 2nd tier is way overrated but I won't name names, don't want to dump on anybody's music taste.

shalom

Smash Journeyman
I don't know where eminem is on the list, but he probably is too low. People forgot how good eminem was because he tried new things out and went away from his old self for a while but songs like underground and his verse on forever, and his part in the BET cypher should remind people. Hopefully relapse 2 will be sick.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
I don't know where eminem is on the list, but he probably is too low. People forgot how good eminem was because he tried new things out and went away from his old self for a while but songs like underground and his verse on forever should remind people. Hopefully relapse 2 will be sick.
to me eminem is the second best of all time in rap. maybe when hes dead ppl will realize this :(

snoop is really underated imo but ppl will realize that when he dies too lol, also this list is pretty good im happy im not the only smasher thats likes/knows about rap lol

also alot of good ppll are low like eazy e and 50 cent. they should be higher, 50 cent is good just alot of his music is garbage look at his best hes 1 of the best though, probably top 5 of 2000s

Niko45

Smash Master
to me eminem is the second best of all time in rap. maybe when hes dead ppl will realize this :(

snoop is really underated imo but ppl will realize that when he dies too lol, also this list is pretty good im happy im not the only smasher thats likes/knows about rap lol

also alot of good ppll are low like eazy e and 50 cent. they should be higher, 50 cent is good just alot of his music is garbage look at his best hes 1 of the best though, probably top 5 of 2000s
Couldn't agree with you more. My top 3 are Jay/Em/Big and nobody is really touching those 3 imo.

Snoop is def underrated.

AND YES, I forgot to mention 50. 50 is so so underrated bc of the commercial stuff. He's sooo good tho. Amazing hooks, and in the early days he killed everything.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
yep your right except imma have to disagree with you on 1 thing, 2pac is the best rapper of all time without a doubt. none other come close, but other than that your right and got a good opinon

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman

People were talking earlier about some rappers are obviously better than some rappers.....i really dont think eazy e should even be on that list.....for the culture, yes...but for rap as music itself, absolutely not.

But like I said before...to each his own.

Top Bottom