• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The other Hip-Hop discussion thread *kuz attempting to make unbiased things is hard*

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Just remembered, another one to consider for the list is Kurtis Blow.

Again, move LL and DMX way the **** up. LL was dominant in the 80s and DMX holds numerous rap records, such as only rapper to have 2 albums debut at #1 in the same year.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
......there's already a hip-hop discussion thread........and it's way better than this one......

-___-

might as well keep this one the way it was.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
This can be the souths.
The reasoning being-
Lists are so subjective, and when it comes to ranking/rating music it becomes extremely subjective.

I'd like to give the list a try but I mean It doesn't seem like anyone wants to have a spirited debate about it. More or less just bash each other over the head with links.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well I gave the list a try. Seriously, the people/groups below are legends. Almost all of them are on top *insert number here* lists. A list ranking artists NEEDS Scarface or Geto Boys. It NEEDS N.W.A. No question about it. The list goes on and on. These are LEGENDS, and I can't stand not having them on a list that includes the likes of Asher Roth and Gucci Mane.

Whoa, just saw this.

The following are people or groups who are not on this list and REALLY NEED to be:

- NWA***
- Kool G Rap***
- UGK (Underground Kings)
- EPMD***
- The LOX
- 2 Live Crew
- Salt N' Pepa
- Brand Nubian
- Geto Boys or Scarface***
- Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
- Mobb Deep
- Organized Konfusion or Pharoe Monch
- Afrika Bambaataa
- Whodini
- Naughty by Nature
- Sugarhill Gang***
- Kurupt
- Masta Ace
- De La Soul
- Too $hort (if you're gonna have E-40 you need this guy)
- Goodie Mob
- Lord Finesse
- Three 6 Mafia
- Beastie Boys
- CunninLynguists
- Cypress Hill
- Black Moon
- Hieroglyphics

A few others to consider:

- The Treacherous Three
- Junior Mafia
- Just-Ice
- The D.O.C.

***Especially these

Also wtf at LL being in 'Average' tier. People don't know how influential he was in the mid to late 80s. Move up DMX way up too.

Also it seems if an MC was ever part of a group, the group is posted instead of the one famous MC. If that's the case, replace KRS with Boogie Down Production.

I'm also glad to see Atmosphere getting some love on this list. Aesop Rock is a good underground MC to consider.

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

Sorry if this list is really long, but when making a tier list, there's a lot to consider. I'll probably post more people/groups when I remember them, but this list is a good start.

Hope this helps!!!
And there's plenty more. What about Kurtis Blow? Aceyalone? Ras Kass? MC Lyte? Joe Budden? AZ? Jeru the Damaja? O.C.? Anyway... you get the point. If you're gonna have Asher Roth, Gucci Mane, etc., you've gotta also go back a bit and look earlier in this decade, the 90s, the 80s, and even late 70s.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Lord Finesse is amazing, but not really a legend. Same thing goes for a lot of people on that list, however there are still a few that I would call "legends" *Mobb Deep, Naughty by Nature, NWA, and Kool G Rap"

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
True, he may not have gotten in the mainstream, but Lord Finesse had a huge influence on many artists in the 90s such as Big L. He and Big Daddy Kane both had huge influences on that style of rapping (heavy wordplay, lots of layered rhyming, humor, etc.).

EDIT: Ah, I see, you deleted the list. :(

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Exactly RJ.

Idk ill probably revive this thread in a few months like I did last time.

But for now it can die peacefully.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I think it would be fun to restart the tier list. We should gather some people who know a thing or two about hip hop and vote for spots. I already have a decent system in mind. Anyone interested?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Great!!! 5 people!

Ok, I'm thinking we'll do a points system. Say we're going to have 5 people in the top tier. In that case, each person would get 10 points an be able to distribute them among any number of people with no partial points.

Then it could be something like:

SSS tier: 5 MCs, 10 points
SS tier: 5 MCs, 10 points
S tier: 10 MCs, 20 points
A+ tier: 10 MCs, 20 points
A tier: 15 MCs, 30 points

etc.

Or we could just do simple voting. I.e. if there's going to be 5 MCs in a tier just vote for 5 people.

IMO Matador and Jane would be good judges for this too.

BEHR

Smash Hero
My Top 5

1.Kid Cudi
2.Charles Hamilton
3.Wiz Khalifa
4.Drake
5.Lupe Fiasco

Other.

Kanye,Common,Nas

BEHR

Smash Hero
I havent been feealin his latest stuff recently.

Its aight so far jut waitin for the album to drop.

and Nujabes is amazing.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
N9NE would make a way better judge than me, lol.

Edit: You said Charles Hamilton? Ewwwwww XD

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Hamilton doesn't impress me..and...

*looks nervously around*

I just can't get into Lupe.

*runs away*

Top Bottom