• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The other Hip-Hop discussion thread *kuz attempting to make unbiased things is hard*

GreenAce

Smash Ace
Asher Roth definitely needs to go up in the next update. He's better than everyone in the above average group besides slaughterhouse the kids decent.

Old wayne and auto tune wayne should be two different rapper. The man used too be good.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
People were talking earlier about some rappers are obviously better than some rappers.....i really dont think eazy e should even be on that list.....for the culture, yes...but for rap as music itself, absolutely not.

But like I said before...to each his own.
gonna have to agree. i'm not even sure eazy-e wrote most of his own lyrics =X

yep your right except imma have to disagree with you on 1 thing, 2pac is the best rapper of all time without a doubt. none other come close, but other than that your right and got a good opinon
gonna have to disagree. bar for bar, nah. impact on hip-hop culture? yeah.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Jay is the hip hop industry, Nas is hip hop. That's why Nas is the GOAT.

Fab sucks balls.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yep.

Back in the Clue, Triangle Offense days he was cool. Today he's lost his way. He could have been an issue, but his music just isn't hard hitting any more.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
Asher Roth definitely needs to go up in the next update. He's better than everyone in the above average group besides slaughterhouse the kids decent.
i dunno. i think he's categorized right. just everyone else is categorized incorrectly >_> needs more groups imo. some rappers fit precisely in between some of those categories.

@n9ne: hmmmm i might have to check out fab's latest work. i didn't think he degraded that much.....then again, i haven't listened to him in a while. i've heard his mixtapes are pretty good. only thing i heard about him lately was that the police found 500 pounds of weed on his tour bus :laugh:

edit: oh shiz. him and joey were in a group? might have to look it up.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Don't like Asher, sorry. He should probably be in average.

Em is often underrated. I wouldn't put him in my top 3, but probably top 10.

Jay is definitely a legend, whoever said he isn't should explore his earlier albums and look at the massive collection of great songs he has. Not to mention commercial success and influence.

Kanye really isn't a great MC. He has a few good songs but his flow and delivery aren't really that impressive. Lyrically, he's got a few good songs but again he's really not great. I think College Dropout and Late Registration were his best, Graduation was pretty good, and 808s and Heartbreak was... eh. Maybe 7/10, but no higher. Great producer though.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
I think the list should only stretch from roughly 1985 to today. I dunno. I just don't want the time gap to be too large and rappers start getting omitted because people forgot to think about them =X. Kinda want to keep it within our generation : ).

^agrees with Krazyglue : )

T3h Albino

Smash Master
alright guys time to start the list over.

Lets do it right this time.

If you have an argument about moving a rapper up or down, present your argument and lets have a civilized debate about it. Try to bring as many outside resources to support your argument as you can.

Tiers are

Legend
Master
Above Average
Average
Below Average
Lol

alright guys, have fun ^_^

Hax

Smash Champion
a couple points

*Ice Cube is f*cking amazing and i listen to him now because of this thread lol. Definitely Legend-status
*Nas needs to go up. Illmatic is the greatest rap album of all time and he's still been consistent ever since
*Jay-Z is washed up, Black Album and back is Legend-status though. Ether keeps him below Nas :)
*Onyx =/= Legends
*i lol'd at TI > Common. I Used to Love H.E.R. ... nough said
*where is Mobb Deep?

T3h Albino

Smash Master
So ATM we have

Legend
Ice Cube
Jay-Z

K, I'm going to reccomend Big-L and Big Pun for legend. I don't know if they would be above or below cube though. ???

shalom

Smash Journeyman
I firmly believe that Jay-Z is above Ice Cube (not really up to making an argument for it). I think that's the last I'm going to join in this discussion though because it will be way too difficult and just frustrate me, but I do not want to discourage others from trying. lol

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
CunningLynguists? Atmosphere? Blackalicious? C'mon man.

Top 5 of all time(in no order)
BIG
Eminem
Lupe
MF DOOM
Slug

EDIT: okay, I didn't see Atmosphere at first. Good ****.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
I firmly believe that Jay-Z is above Ice Cube (not really up to making an argument for it). I think that's the last I'm going to join in this discussion though because it will be way too difficult and just frustrate me, but I do not want to discourage others from trying. lol
lol no more arguments. we're just trying to form the tiers. some are obvious in where they belong. some require some evidence. we can put them in order later ^_^

So ATM we have

Legend
Ice Cube
Jay-Z

K, I'm going to reccomend Big-L and Big Pun for legend. I don't know if they would be above or below cube though. ???

I don't consider big L a legend. i mean his lyrics are legendary but he only had two albums. i dunno. i mean, yeah, he's a legend. but longevity and consistency should always be a factor too. but then again, unfortunately, his career was cut short (r.i.p)......aight **** it. just put em in legends lol.

Top 5 of all time(in no order)
BIG
Eminem
Lupe
MF DOOM
Slug
why is nas not in this list?

I.B

Smash Lord
I don't consider big L a legend. i mean his lyrics are legendary but he only had two albums. i dunno. i mean, yeah, he's a legend. but longevity and consistency should always be a factor too. but then again, unfortunately, his career was cut short (r.i.p)......aight **** it. just put em in legends lol.
Hmmm...

I don't consider Biggie a legend. i mean his lyrics are legendary but he only had two albums. i dunno. i mean, yeah, he's a legend. but longevity and consistency should always be a factor too. but then again, unfortunately, his career was cut short (r.i.p)......aight **** it. just put em in legends lol.
Interesting...lol

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
technically, big pun only put out 2 albums too because his last album was a compilation of unreleased tracks.........ahhh s***.....adding more to it. Interesting...lol

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
a couple points

*Ice Cube is f*cking amazing and i listen to him now because of this thread lol. Definitely Legend-status
*Nas needs to go up. Illmatic is the greatest rap album of all time and he's still been consistent ever since
*Jay-Z is washed up, Black Album and back is Legend-status though. Ether keeps him below Nas :)
*Onyx =/= Legends
*i lol'd at TI > Common. I Used to Love H.E.R. ... nough said
*where is Mobb Deep?
agreed : )

shalom

Smash Journeyman
The amount of material out between biggie and big l isn't comparable at all really. I have been listening to big l for a ridiculously long time now, but sadly there just isn't very much to listen too. Children of The Corn with him, cam, mase, and mcgruff and bloodshed put out good songs (Anyone know "American Dream"). Biggie on the other hand has tons of material out so even though he only has two albums it isn't as big as problem to put him as a legend. That said I believe Big L is a legend, and I think most rappers we put in legend tier would probably say big l was a legend (I know Jay-Z would).

Hax

Smash Champion
S.R. XXVII said:
BIG
Eminem
Lupe
MF DOOM
Slug
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT lol..

biggie yes, Doom and Slug not a chance. Eminem top 10 maybe, top 20 definitely but top 5 i don't think so. Lupe is definitely a diamond in the rough of today's terrible music but i'd leave him at the top of Masters at this point; he's no Legend.

top 3 imo (no order):
BIG/2pac/Nas

Linguini

Smash Master
Who cares, this tier list **** is pretty dumb. This should just be hip hop discussion.
This week has alreayd been sick for rap. Bun B's No Mixtape was released today,and bun b tears it apart, but don't take my word for it, get that.

Just dled B.O.B's new mixtape and I gotta say this is dope as well!

Weezy is actually really skilled, he fell off for a while, but no ceilings was refreshing. Nowhere near"the best rapper alive" though.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
weezy is only good and thats it wen he tries though. peoplenbased his skilsl off his sandbagging but he's only like at an oh 'he's and decent rapper' skill level.

legends are defenitely 2pac nas mobb deep wutang clan outkast(iono why peopel dont think they arent legend listen to atliens aquemini stankonia) jay z eminem a tribe called quest scarface rakim and much more lol

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT lol..

biggie yes, Doom and Slug not a chance. Eminem top 10 maybe, top 20 definitely but top 5 i don't think so. Lupe is definitely a diamond in the rough of today's terrible music but i'd leave him at the top of Masters at this point; he's no Legend.

top 3 imo (no order):
BIG/2pac/Nas
I say BIG outta respect and the fact that he was just straight nasty, but the other 4 I listed touch places a lot of rappers wouldn't even begin to understand lol. Nas would be just below them, and imho, Pac is one of, if not, the most overrated rapper of all time.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
@Blu3r yeah it was Joe Fab and Paul Cain. Also A Team Joe Ransom Hitchcock Stack and them...

Big L... his style was too repetitive for me. Still think he's a legend though.

Big Pun's flow >>> your favourite rappers life. Look how fat that man was. Idk how he did it without collapsing. Big Pun >>>>>>

BIG and Pac are undoubtedly legends. Think Pac was over rated. Biggie had the ability to just straight out make great songs. I Got A Story To Tell >>>

Wayne is a mess. Full stop. I don't care what he did in 06 07, the man is a mess. A horrible, horrible mess. Some of the music he puts out is just straight out undefendable.

Rakim & Eric B >>>>

Saw KRS One in legends. Never really listened to the guy. He kicks that knowledge too much I think, on some preaching tip. Don't just say it, be about it. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up in that time. What I have heard of him, I'm lukewarm to.

Couple of others artists that deserve at least a mention:

Reks, Skyzoo, Sha Stimuli, Termanology, Evidence, Elzhi, Chino XL, Blu...

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
i agree with big, pac, and nas being legends

i would put eminem, vanilla ice, jay-z, lupe, and wayne in high tier
disqualified *smh*

I think we should just work on the legends category for now, seeing as it's probably the easiest category to fill. it's pretty automatic. also, i would love to add underground artists, but that would just make the list too complicated because, more than likely, some of ya'll aren't even gonna know most underground rappers. we should probably keep the ones that have a lot of buzz and just mainstream artists for now.

Niko45

Smash Master
2Pac is absurdly overrated, but he's still good. He's just not even close to a top 3 rapper or whatever like people generally seem to think.

Weezy was nasty a few years ago.

Outkast is 100% legend status.

Also, I'm gonna have to get that B.o.B. mixtape. Been waiting for this guy to really go in.

Oh and gtfo with Asher Roth.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
...Drake all day. I think he's probably the best and smoothest rapper putting out stuff right now. but i don't listen to much.

2pac and BIG are definitely legends.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
...Drake all day. I think he's probably the best and smoothest rapper putting out stuff right now. but i don't listen to much.

2pac and BIG are definitely legends.
best? nah.

would anybody consider busta rhymes a legend? a lot of people don't even think about him when discussing legends.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Busta has been in the game for mad long. You've got to respect that. He's got his own niche. But the thing is his material gets old quickly. Nowadays I don't even check for him whenever he drops anything.

I don't think of him as a legend. He's made his mark in the game though.

Top Bottom