• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
^ RC is too good. But I'm just posting to say that I think f-tilt is the ideal refresher, since it seems to be the least used move. Sorry, I've never fought a good wario...which sucks, because I'll probably get slayed by the first one I play due to that.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Just played a good wario on GB. All I have to contribute that is new is to watch out for his dacus. It's very fast, but if you predict it, you can grab him out of it pretty easily.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Haven't posted here recently because we're just reviewing things now...if anyone's noticed I've been trying to be more active in the Oli Boards after not playing for nearly a month and when I came back I learned we were just reviewing matches so I felt I would only be saying the same stuff.

I'm gonna need to look around some and get learned up on what I've missed in a month, though, so I won't be posting old news that everyone knows.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i play a very good pikachu here at every monthly i play, and i have never lost a match to him when i was using olimar, yellow pikmin will mess him up bad, pikmin will cancel out thunderjolt, and yellow ones will make him have to use a different non electrical move just to get them off, so side B spam, Pivot grabs, and Fsmash/Usmash is literally all i really have to use lol, its not really too tough for olimar imo, im gonna have to say 60-40 for olimar.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
It's funny when pika's just spam neutral b, and I just standstill and spam pikmin toss, and they eventually realize that they aren't accomplishing anything haha :)
Does pika's f-throw (or d-throw, but I doubt that one) chaingrab work on oli?

asob4

Smash Champion
i think the fthrow only works as a tech chase

for the most part oli is unchaingrabable by everyone who has one

**** falco can get it a few times before you can jump out

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only thing about Pikachu I have trouble with is his quickness. Other than that, He's rather easy to fight.

His falling fair->followup approach doesn't work well because I'm so used to Fox's better dair->uptilt. Pikachu's projectile is predictable because they usually full jump or QAC away when they're about to use it. Otherwise, it's laggy. Then I just jump over it and throw pikmin. To mix up my defensive game, I'll sometimes shield the jolt and then grab Pikachu when he follows up.

As Skank menioned, Olimar isn't susceptible to Pikachu's dthrow or fthrow chaingrabs that screw up some characters' matchups against him.

Pikachu doesn't have any special approaching options that screw up Olimar's grab game such as Luigi's, Peach's, or Sheik's

Has anyone here fought Anther?

asob4

Smash Champion
noo but my crew mate plays a good pika (the ones i have vids of, member?)

i won about 70% of the time

it just happened that those were the only ones i got recorded

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ive fought anther, honestly, you can't approach pikachu because once he gets up in your face your dead, the best bet you have in this match is to run away and throw all you pikmin and do some grabs till they are at high percents where i find charged smashes kill them relatively easily, also, fsmash will be your main "get away" move so don't worry if it loses power, it shouldn't be your killer in this match

also, the main way pikachus appraoch if you learn to shut down any ground appraoches like qacing is they like to short hop and full jump jolt to get you to the edge and try to read you and punish from there

asob4

Smash Champion
just usmash a lot
that should help with the QAC

purple also help stop them in their quick little tracks

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I would think that nair would be useful here, to beat out pika's priority.

Deva

Smash Lord
soooo i need to play deva like seriously :/ maybe in december if washington comes down i will
Sorry, were snowed in crazy, xD. Like, over 2 feet of snow. We were planning on leaving today but yeah xD. if the weather gets better in a couple weeks you should come up for IE. over 150 expected attendants.

Link vs Oli is pretty fun, lotsa spamming. Hope to see you guys there.

asob4

Smash Champion
i think we should talk about IC's

i got a few friendlies in with michael hey (nor cal IC's super amazing)
we played with back throw chain grabs banned since it was just friendlies

i learned a lot from him

usmash squall hammer
jump over desynch blizzards
fsmash A LOT
grab and throw very fast
if they have to recover from below edge hog no matter what! nana WILL die!
and most importantly, don't. get. grabbed.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I was playing some comp ICs (I know, comps don't mean anything, w/e), and I did a few d-tilts, and it knocked popo away, and locked nana at low percents. Also, they did blizzard at one point, and I was able to di up and out of it, and hit with a dair before it ended. I don't know if it would work at all against desynched blizzards, but it was pretty cool.

asob4

Smash Champion
even though that makes dtilt more awesome
any competent IC's would just do desynched blizzards/squall hammers to approach and stop our dtilt
best thing to do with blizzard is jump over

oh and i won against micheal hey in those friendlies :D lololol
but i taught him the oli match up >.< haha

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
IC's-to me are like DK . One of those characters that are running either Super hot or Getting Pwned in the face cold. They rack up DMG like crazy and they are nice and quick. And they fact that there are some nice little two person tricks they become a force to be reckoned with. I play and Play against a nice IC and this match up usually goes either way. But i mean one mistake from this and it could easily mean a stock. Our Projectiles are great to start but you have to be careful, becuz IC punishment is really bad. Grabbing is really tricky. Normally in any situation with any character grabbing them is a big no no. But due to our range and the that they don't normally expect it if you can grab them (Reverse pivot, and OoS) and throw them right after it can set up something really nice. As we all know separating them is a key factor in this match, but remember to capitalize on it. It you get Popo away from Anna go ahead and kill her making the Po kill much easier. Off stage is a scary place for them(ha this coming from an olimar) so you won't see anything too fancy out there, and try to make sure you kill off at least one of them each time the go off the stage.

All in all i think this is close match but it come out 6-4 Oli
or being easier on them 55-45 but really 6-4

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Don't be too afraid to go for grabs, because even though the other one can hit you away, if you already started the grab, the pikmin will finish it by itself. This is very useful at separating them, since only one will get the knockback.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i just spam fsmash and bthrow to separate till i kill them with fairs, but try to have them at different %s always so i can easily seperate into nair to dsmash

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've a friend that plays IC sometimes. He doesn't play brawl much because he likes melee soooo much better, but he can still do the dthrow->fair and fthrow chaingrab. Besides that, I don't have much experience in the matchup. Fsmashes are great spacers. Dsmash and spaced (very important to be spaced) grabs are great for separating them. I need more IC practice.

Awex

Smash Lord
I love the matchup, but it's deliciously difficult.

Obviously, try to get a platformed stage and keep them off the ground. Uair juggles like mad because it goes through dair.

When they're grounded, CAMP THE SIDES. Center stage is usually preferable but you don't want to be there because if you get grabbed, you get fair comboed or just alt throwed to death. (It's VERY easy to time on olimar) But if they grab you at the ledge, they'll probably just try and get the fair spike which won't work because of how well the tether cancels meteors.

lots of fsmashes/grabs/side b/fair and nair. do NOT go for incomplete nair combos unless nana is dead or far away.

probably a 55/45 or 60/40 Olimar matchup.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
My favorite way to kill Oli with ICs is to alt grab to an edge and fair spike. You can have Nana grab the ledge after instead of landing back on the stage, resulting in Oli not being able to recover..

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
My favorite way to kill Oli with ICs is to alt grab to an edge and fair spike. You can have Nana grab the ledge after instead of landing back on the stage, resulting in Oli not being able to recover..
yeah gimps

srsly merry christmas **********
thanks for that

hmm don't get grabbed as usual.
No point in trying to find latch targets, pikmin get the wrong one sometimes.

asob4

Smash Champion
pikmin on either is beneficial
if it gets nana, great! easier time killing her
if not, still great! cause it adds damage to their stock
win win with toss

oh and for numbers i'd have to go with 55-45 oli or either way

oli's has enough range to deal with them but it's still hard as fuuuuuck

Hey Im Fearless

Smash Cadet
Palm Coast Florida (currently visiting Somerest, N
Olimar can not, and never will be able to beat Ice Climbers. Something about their desynching makes it so he can't get a hit in.

Get this guys, I really did figure out how to beat Ice Climbers.

First of all, play the best you've ever played in your life. When G - Money is complementing your playstyle, then you know something is right.

Second of all, Don't get grabbed. I've found that the best way to not get grabbed (im not kidding) is to grab them first. Your downthrow has a hitbox that will hit nana if you immediatly throw when you grab.

Lastly, neutral air. I'll say it again.

Neutral. Air. Works. Really. Good. VS. Ice. Climbers.

I really do like hylian, though.

asob4

Smash Champion
i've only tried oli vs fly once
first game i got him down to 1 stock not knowing the match up very well and getting grabbed once
second game i SD'd once so i only got him to 2 stocks, didn't grab me once

friendlied michael hey
banned bthrow chain grabs :/
he grabbed me ~3 times out of all the games we played
he gave me really good advice :3

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, I saw you get banned cuz of that UCF thread. That was so lame.

What's the ratio? I'd go with 55-45 if they've mastered the chaingrabs.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I main both the ICs and Olimar, so this discussion is heavenly to me ^_^

IC 45 - 55 Olimar

IF they manage to grab Olimar, he's done for. However, actually grabbing him will prove to be difficult, since Olimar can just spam f-smash, d-smash and u-smash with a yellow Pikmin. He outranges them severely, and beats their air game.

The Ice Climbers, however, have a lot of use for Blizzard in this match-up (beats out all smashes), and u-smash will chop up the light Olimar. There's also the strategy of d-tilt to edgehog, which always works quite well for me... In other words, it's mostly about who gets the hits in first.

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
i main both aswell,it counts on whom can set up the combo first,usally olimar as he outranges IC,i say olimar 55-IC-45,not much difference except range.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I dont' know all that much about Olimar, but yeah, basically Ice Climber's game against him is desynced blizzards and Uair whenever he goes above you. It's harder to get in a kill move against him than it is against most other characters, due to their kill moves being on the ground and Olimar's ground game beats theirs.

I would contribute more if I knew the matchup better, but umm... *thinks* Maybe a video of an Olimar beating my Ice Climbers might help?

Zori's Olimar against my ICs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqNJ8OGjRa8&&fmt=18

I don't know, maybe that video will show something that might help someone? *shrug*

Zori

Smash Champion
I need to camp more, I was playing way too offencsive vs you. Olimar can beat the blizzard spam by jumping over them then to broken off nair to upsmash etc. But the last hobo I lost to melee1's ic's, he was telling me that olimar was really easy to chaingrab(0-0?) olimar is light so I was confused but yeah, all olimar has to do it camp I think its in his favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom