• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
If olimar manages to grab the ho, use your pummel attack to hit the ho and, more importantly, popo as he will likely rush in to save his ho. Popo will be knicked back a bit. Then proceed to tossing the ho away from popo.
I think we should use this paragraph alone for the reason it's 60:40 olimar. nothing else is needed. It's that epic.

I'm tempted to sig this xD

seriously though, I dont think they've decided on what to put the matchup as. Or even who's favor it is.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
55-45 seems like a good number.

You guys don't have to wait on me to begin discussing the next matchup. We've already covered all Olimar's difficult matchups, so I'm not exactly sure who we should talk about next.

The next character brought up in this thread will be it!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm rewriting the Link matchup summary right now. Can anyone test out Link's dair against upsmash and upair? There's two versions of it- the fast falled dair and regular dair. I'm sure upair will beat the regular one, but I'm unsure about the first. I might be thinking of TL's dair, but does Link's regular dair "bounce" off of our upsmash? Or does it break through and hit Oli. I can't remember...

Tenki

Smash Hero
Behaviour : depends on the Sonic? lol

His scaring moves :
- Run. LESS than 60 frames to cross FD. Do the math, and keep in mind that a good Sonic will most likely camp just outside your attack range. Avoid moves that give you too much commitment if he's running, because he's not very committed at all.

- Side-B charge. Sonic can shield cancel it, or jump, etc, before it's fully charged. If you try to attack, you'll probably get shielded/grabbed/invincyframed by side-B's release.

- ASC (aerial down-B). One of Sonic's most versatile moves, and hands down most powerful damager. If he nails an aerial one on you, expect the double hit (it does 18 damage total unstale, WITHOUT counting the aerial followup), and comes in at a 30-45 degree angle from horizontal. He can double jump, spring at any point, and he can shieldcancel the landing. Awesome.

- Spinshot. It's pretty much Sonic moving at running speed with an instant double jump. Can perform this out of an ASC's charge, or side-B. Expect B-airs if he flies over you, but if you get shield-happy, you might just get a fastfall grab on your shield instead.

- Spring. When you're respawning, watch out for landing on springs. It'll wear out your invincy frames and keep you from plucking pikmin lol.

How to win ?

- I'd like to see what you guys say about this first <3

and yes, our matchup discussion is like, more than 4x larger than yours.

even though there are a relatively few amount of Sonic mains, we're really active on the character boards, which is why the average post count there is like, 2000.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't know where to start. I've played some Sonics before, but not very recently, nor enough to feel comfortable writing a summary about it. I know the matchup on paper, but that's simply not enough when you look at his speed...

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
asob, are you in SoCal? You should go to SK92's monthly on the 24th and fight X. I heard SoCal was going to come. X is one of the best sonic's out there and I'll be bringing him with me.

asob4

Smash Champion
doubt i'll have money
plus that's my birthday, probably won't go to any tourney

unless miniboss houses again and samuelson drives again and i get money for my birthday :DDD ha

broke johns

palmdale = so cal
we're gangsta

look at so cal power rankings and look at top 5

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I figured it was, I was just making sure. I'll go check out those rankings..

Who all is going from so cal?

Edit: Am I looking for you on there?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Dang, Palmdale does ****. You just need to take DSF's spot and then Palmdale can have all 5 of the top 5 LOL.

Do you know who's all going to SK92's thing?

Tenki

Smash Hero
maybe if i play NoR4U if he goes to WGF
NoR4U has some problems with pressure and predictability :[

on AiB he had us rate his Sonic in a crew battle, and he got spiked (well, into the floor) by DK twice in a row because he tried spindash > U-air over and over again.

Told him to stop approaching with spindashes and homing attack but I haven't seen any recent vids of him, so I don't know if he's stepped it up yet :<

asob, are you in SoCal? You should go to SK92's monthly on the 24th and fight X. I heard SoCal was going to come. X is one of the best sonic's out there and I'll be bringing him with me.
___X___ is pretty cool.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Glad to see I haven't made a name for myself... yet.

But I will probably be known as the Sonic who got his butt handed to him by a Ness sometime in a couple of months from now... -_-

asob4

Smash Champion
last time i saw NoR4U was WCSL and i THINK he made it out of pools
wasn't paying attention to his matches really though

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hey Oli mainers. Was just passing through and noticed you put Jungle Japes as a CP for Falco. Being a Falco main, I'd like to say that's a very bad idea. Japes is Falco's bread and butter CP, with him being able to play an imperfect laser game, and set up spikes into the water. He can also use his side B to dart around the stage. The retardedly high ceiling here also helps his vertical survivability. I'm not saying you're gonna die on Japes against him, Olimar does better than others here imo, but I wouldn't recommend you choosing it as a CP against Falco ^_^. Lylat Cruise is a much better bet, or maybe Norfair (I don't know if Olimar likes Norfair or not =\).

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Olimar can beat anyone by SCG, but now people ban that stage all the time when playing olimar.

Cook

Smash Master
You don't know if Olimar likes a stage that he can't be GIMPed on?
He can't be gimped on it, but the lack of long flat surfaces hurts him, and characters that are better than him in the air can do well against him there.

gantrain05

Smash Master
He can't be gimped on it, but the lack of long flat surfaces hurts him, and characters that are better than him in the air can do well against him there.
you did pretty well against my peach there, although it was doubles, not sure if it would be any different in singles.

Cook

Smash Master
you did pretty well against my peach there, although it was doubles, not sure if it would be any different in singles.
Well, I was mostly going after Luger because Ike kinda sucks on that stage as far as I'm concerned. I doubt I would have done too well in just singles.

DZLE

Smash Master
Olimar can beat anyone by SCG, but now people ban that stage all the time when playing olimar.
This is true... We need more stages that SCG can be done on...
Come on downloadable content...

Olimar should have a huge problem with sonic unless they play like Espy or _X_...

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
Link hits olimar of the stage, Link grabs the ledge, Olimars up-spec becaumes useless.
i dont think ive ever lost a match to a olimar user, i dont see why anyone uses him...

gantrain05

Smash Master
Link hits olimar of the stage, Link grabs the ledge, Olimars up-spec becaumes useless.
i dont think ive ever lost a match to a olimar user, i dont see why anyone uses him...
wow this guy sure said it, 100-0 link you guys, you heard it here.....oh wait, how exactly do you propose to get olimar off the stage again? with your super fast ground game and excellent agility? oh yeah....thats right, you don't have any of that. you got projectiles, that suck vs pikmin toss, honestly i can't say i've lost to a single link as olimar.

Excellence

Smash Champion
This is an example of the type of people who should not be allowed to post in a match-up discussion.

Olimar vs Link is 75:25 match-up and should be left as such.

Puddin

Smash Lord
And that is why your are inexperienced against him. You're strategy implies that your are playing a physically disabled person that does nothing and let's you attack. Perhaps you were fighting a CPU set in "Stand" mode during training?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
hey,ill $100000 mm you with my olimar then if your such an "olimar killer", ill see if i can atleast 2 stock you, heck,ill even pay for a ride to get to your house, deal?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lol its obviously a noob scrub who doest know whats good for him. its a troll guys relaaaaaaaax.

anyway im here looking for info on u guys if u have more trouble with rob or mk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom