• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fino

Smash Master
IC's are tricky, yet only take 3 simple steps (all are AT's btw) to beat

AT #1
C-stick spam - use this to break up the couple

AT #2
**** canceling - once the ho is away from popo (no rhyme intended) kill the b****. No more 0-death grabs

AT #2
Stock canceling - other than blizzard and squall hammer, popo is useless with out his companion... and this pretty much makes him a crippled metaknight main (b spam for the fail). Take advantage of this and get rid of him too.

*repeat 3 times

CONGRATULATIONS! You can now beat IC's in under 3 minutes.... =O vids you can actually save!
=^_^ v

~Fino

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
I noticed a typo in the Dedede number on the list: 61:49 adds up to 110. Do you mean 51:49 or 61:39?

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
I hate ice climbers. just hope you're not fighting a good one because they can infinite you
._.

anyways, you beat them in the air, but IC tend to stick to the ground... and their ice blocks are actually quite capable of gimping you, because they steal a jump.

One of the pros of this matchup, however, is that your grab range bests theirs by a long shot.

I'd call this 4-6 (hard) I don't know why but I just hate fighting Ice Climbers

Fino

Smash Master
I hate ice climbers. just hope you're not fighting a good one because they can infinite you
._.

anyways, you beat them in the air, but IC tend to stick to the ground... and their ice blocks are actually quite capable of gimping you, because they steal a jump.

One of the pros of this matchup, however, is that your grab range bests theirs by a long shot.

I'd call this 4-6 (hard) I don't know why but I just hate fighting Ice Climbers
IC's are cake, and yes... I've played many GOOD IC's - the 1 grab and you're dead type.
Anyways, this match-up is easily 6-4 in olimar's favor.

~Fino

EDIT: I change my mind to 55:45 before anyone jumps on me ^^;

RichBrown

Smash Master
I went 1-1 in pools against michael hay last month with no knowledge of the matchup. I spammed forward smash, lured him into trying to grab me, and I would pivot grab and backthrow to separate. idk, I found spacing really easy against him, and this is the 2nd best nor cal player we are talking about.

counterpick pictochat on IC, if you get grabbed while standing on a drawing, don't fret, the drawing will disappear and you can get out :D otherwise pick frigate, easy nana kills, plus stage flips might occasionally save you.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I went 1-1 in pools against michael hay last month with no knowledge of the matchup. I spammed forward smash, lured him into trying to grab me, and I would pivot grab and backthrow to separate. idk, I found spacing really easy against him, and this is the 2nd best nor cal player we are talking about.

counterpick pictochat on IC, if you get grabbed while standing on a drawing, don't fret, the drawing will disappear and you can get out :D otherwise pick frigate, easy nana kills, plus stage flips might occasionally save you.
Or kill you if either of them grabs the ledge before you can use Pikmin Chain...

Olimarman

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9H4i3mRlZw&feature=channel_page

I know this may come as a surprise to some people, but don't let them grab you. You can hold them off with well spaced fsmashes and fairs, and grabs work alright to separate them, but don't rely on them too much. You won't be getting through the downb anytime soon, so either avoid it or shield it. You can grab them through their tornado occasionally, but its best to shield and punish. Overall, this matchup sucks, is not fun and really just annoying. But just remember, you still outnumber them 7 to 2 :p

RichBrown

Smash Master
No I meant stage, because we were talking about frigate, and he said something about all they have to do is grab the ledge.... ah nevermind lol

asob4

Smash Champion
if we're talking about frigate, grabbing the ledge wouldn't have come up because one side doesn't have a ledge :p get ***** <3

RichBrown

Smash Master
no, we were talking about frigate, and the guy was talking about how if a character grabs the ledge then olimar dies, and so I pointed out that if a character grabs the ledge on ANY stage, it still kills Olimar, so it doesn't matter if it's frigate or otherwise.

no u.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
the grab is an obvious issue... but olimar has no single move that goes through a desynched blizzard... i have only found one answer

RichBrown

Smash Master
In my two matches against him I felt like I learned virtually everything: Fsmash a lot, bait them into a grab then pivot grab-Bthrow to separate, nair over blizzard, just keep throwing **** if they are far away (purples are amazing in this matchup) and ALWAYS KILL NANA.

Are we done with ICs yet? Lets move onto someone else, have we done kirby yet? *too lazy to look

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Which character next? I'm thinking around 55-45 Oli for the IC matchup.

edit: V- I'm fine with 60-40. I think it's around that area. I just haven't played too many good IC so I'm not exactly sure.

asob4

Smash Champion
i've played fly and michael hey
it's 55-45 oli at best
fly can actually win w/o grabs and oli can have real trouble with that

RichBrown

Smash Master
I've played fly once, in a friendly, and it was close, and I sucked at the time, so yeah I dunno. I would imagine a lot of the spacing tools would remain the same. I'll have to practice it more.

asob4

Smash Champion
he shut me down the second round pretty effectively, but i may have just lost my cool

first round i got him to one stock with only getting grabbed once
he's a master of desynch

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ummmm, u can't jump over and nair lol... blizzard goes through it, they just turn around with the IC not doing blizzard and restart the desynched blizzard over blizzard

asob4

Smash Champion
no, it really is that easy to just jump over and do a falling nair

blizzard doesn't go above silly

thespymachine

Smash Ace
To add to Pikachu:

As a Pika player my goal is to grab you or get behind you and utilt you, to get you in the air. And once in the air I'll use uair, since that keeps my body furthest away from Olimar and his fair, bair, and dair.

Hope that helps.

asob4

Smash Champion
we'll whistle the uair if possible and punish if possible
WAC is anti-juggle

it also helps that your best kill move usually happens up top

unless you're ****ing amazing at hitting with thunder2

DarkPikmin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zDecoy
If olimar manages to grab the ho, use your pummel attack to hit the ho and, more importantly, popo as he will likely rush in to save his ho. Popo will be knicked back a bit. Then proceed to tossing the ho away from popo.
+1 for olimar: If olimar grabs an icey pummel to separate them a bit then throw the other way. They likely won't expect this.
This could have helped Zori At 1:24 and 3:12 in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqNJ8OGjRa8&&fmt=18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom