• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook

Smash Master
hehe yeah oli vs peach is a fun match, i even beat smeesh's peach with my olimar, 2 stocked him, and then i beat him in peach dittos, im going to go ahead and claim the best peach in the midwest, and if anyone wants to take that title they gotta fight me for it lol.
You two-stocked Smeesh's Peach with Olimar? Wow, that makes me a bit less scared to play him now; he must never play Olimars. Did you get a lot of grabs, or mess him up with u-tilt, or what? Anyway, you should come down for the December MO tournament if IA comes again.

gantrain05

Smash Master
You two-stocked Smeesh's Peach with Olimar? Wow, that makes me a bit less scared to play him now; he must never play Olimars. Did you get a lot of grabs, or mess him up with u-tilt, or what? Anyway, you should come down for the December MO tournament if IA comes again.
well i messed him up alot cuz i know how peach works lol, but yeah i'd pretty much spam pikmin at him and wait for his float to run out and run out and grab him, but just so u know...olimars grab combos don't work too well on peach =/ i had to kill him by Fsmash edgegaurding.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It is really hard to kill Link at extreme horizontal angles and vertically....online doesn't count. Link can't DI properly.

^Referring to offline.

It's easy to kill him at diagonally horizontal moves. Pick moves that have more height......Sheeshh....

Swordplay

Smash Lord
like fsmash... which we spam anyway :D
Good. F-smash>>>>D-smash when fighting a Link (offline)

Sigh.....

I am done arguing. I contributed to this thread and posted useful information about the matchup before I got into an argument. if you want to skew the information beyond reasonability then go ahead. But I'm not biased in any way. I never said Link had an advantage in this matchup or that it was even. I think 60:40 is very fair. When you compare that to Link who say it is even or even adv Link......You'll see that I am not being that biased......

It is just your biased opinion that makes you think Olimar ***** Link. He doesn't get over it. Olimar beats Link, He doesn't **** him.

I suppose that is the problem with match up threads. They always disagree because they want their character to be better than it actually is.

Probably why Danger's chart is extremely useful as the threads must agree upon a match up.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I am done arguing. I contributed to this thread and posted useful information about the matchup before I got into an argument. if you want to skew the information beyond reasonability then go ahead. But I'm not biased in any way. I never said Link had an advantage in this matchup or that it was even. I think 60:40 is very fair. When you compare that to Link who say it is even or even adv Link......You'll see that I am not being that biased......

:D I agree with all of this. Isn't it beautiful? (Youtube Poop reference for anyone who cares)

asob4

Smash Champion
fino played dumb and didn't edgehog at all!!! he fails :p hahah
did he even play melee???? hahahha
both of you played great though

gantrain05

Smash Master
arkive i was actually going to go to that tourney, i believe i play a better olimar than cook, we have never done ditto olimars before, but i've played his olimar and have never lost to it, although i do give him kudos for defeating jokers snake with oli.

Cook

Smash Master
arkive i was actually going to go to that tourney, i believe i play a better olimar than cook, we have never done ditto olimars before, but i've played his olimar and have never lost to it, although i do give him kudos for defeating jokers snake with oli.
I beat you the last friendly we played, against your Peach. Other than that I think you only played me in two matches, all with Peach.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I beat you the last friendly we played, against your Peach. Other than that I think you only played me in two matches, all with Peach.
oh yeah! lol the very last match we played, i remember now, cuz you said you were gonna take it as a sign =P but i think i played your oli like once in tourney, then you switched to ike, and we probably got about 6 friendlies in or so, but your olimar was lookin pretty impressive from the kirksville tourney vids im lookin forward to a rematch.

Cook

Smash Master
oh yeah! lol the very last match we played, i remember now, cuz you said you were gonna take it as a sign =P but i think i played your oli like once in tourney, then you switched to ike, and we probably got about 6 friendlies in or so, but your olimar was lookin pretty impressive from the kirksville tourney vids im lookin forward to a rematch.
Yeah, me too. Playing Peach is kinda fun and I def need some Peach practice.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Odds for Link? I was thinking about moving it up to 75-25. thoughts?

And it's Wario week. I think it's still even. >_>

Zori

Smash Champion
STAY MOBLE WHEN PLAYING WARIO DO NOT CAMP HIM RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN NAIR NAIR NAIR NAIR

Zori.

RichBrown

Smash Master
ya be agressive. use uptilt. fiction has made me realll good against wario. maybe he will drop in this topic because he is one of those guys who searches his name (like me) lolol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario vs Olimar... Hmm...

Where is Fiction? I would say it is 50:50 too or maybe 5 points for either side but I want to hear what he has to say.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I don't know... it's too hard to call. Whenever I play against Jadedlink all sorts of funky **** happens. My upairs go through his dairs, killing his pikmin and hitting him. Farts also kill Pikmin and have enough knockback to kill you at 0 (by setting up for a gimp), etc. Oli's greatest assets in this fight are pivot grab (lol, as usual) and nair/utilt... but those moves have so little range they're avoidable unless the Wario is playing 100% aggro. Then on the other side is Oli's ridiculous damage building, and hte upsmash that also breaks our dair AND kills early. Our ftilt can hit you out of grabs... it's a weird, weird matchup. Wario can live long, so Oli's crazy pikmin toss and grab combos aren't AS dangerous as they are for others, Oli can die quickly, assuming you odn't get grabbed while trying stuff.

Wario's best option is to stay in Oli's face, his best option is to run away. I'd say on large platform stages or platform littered stages (certain ones) it's 55:45 oli (he's small and has good priority so fall-through upairs aren't as useful as they are vs others) on others Wario has advantage.

All I know is that on paper it looks like Wario for sure, but in practice it's a bit of a tossup. Go go counterpicking!

Mmac

Smash Lord
FYI, We think Yoshi is 55:45 against Olimar now (Yoshi having the slight advantage)

Cook

Smash Master
i never get to play any good ones =/
I don't know how good the ones I play are; I just know I lose. I think they usually have good records, though...

Edit: Let's see: dren8o8 is ranked 43rd on allisbrawl, Juan is 53rd, so they're pretty good, I'd say. I think those are the only two that I've played.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar beats Link in every statistical category except weight. He is outcamped, outranged, outspeeded, has slower damage racking, less kill power, more lag, fewer options overall, less...

Want me to go further?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
for wario, its really all stage dependent the matchup, on bf we have advantage, on fd or sv its theirs, and i just fought a good yoshi on AIB yesterday, dren i believe, best yoshi on that site and its definetely 60-40 yoshis advantage(i managed to pull out a lucky win though)

Haunted

Smash Cadet
Dabuz, that's because Yoshi is a broken character.

Also, are you going to the Castle Golf tournament on December 13th, 2008?

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Firstly I dont think that Olimar is a hard counter to Link, good Links jab lock and a little B!tches. While they can be beaten I don't think we can win 75 out of 100 matches.

I haven't gotten to play G-money at the tournaments because of life but I'll get around to it.
It's just a annoying match-up if the Wario is really good with his super armor on the F-smash.
Oh right, almost forgot, if he's on his bike and above 40% grab him off, forward throw if he's in the middle he'll probably come back to fight so after the throw run grab the bike and throw it up, you'll have just enough time to run away and pivot grab or throw some pikmin, also lets you have some time to grab.

I like the idea of keeping the spacing Wario - bike - me. The bike is in between me and Wario giving me a good buff in case Wario is gonna attempt an aerial or run past it.
Kind like the pillars in Luigi's mansion, letting the bike be you safety.

About using Luigi's mansion which seems to have a nice love from what I see, it's good in most of the senses that you expect. But remember that it's your house, stay in the center and on the bottom. The platforms can screw Wario's movement up. Pitch your tent there and watch for when he approaches, if it's above on the 2nd level I like to just UP+B and if he makes it past you should have enough time to roll back and keep spacing. Also Down and Up grab followed by Up smashes galore are great with the ceiling. Kill moves to use only to kill for freshness are the back throw, Down Smash, Forward Smash. Up smash will still work but it'll be your damage maker.
Also whenever you get a kill on Luigi's make sure to Nair the pillars for a refresh on the attack power of your moves. I believe that you can with a star KO get a Nair and down tilt off on the pillar before the opponent respawns. but yeah that's what I have to say. Also Ban RC and good camping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom