• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook

Smash Master
Dthrow-Fsmash-Dthrow-Usmash-Uair is a true combo on D3, he's a huge target, Uair ***** his recovery and he can't chaingrab you. You just have to be careful of the Bair off-stage and you should be fine. 60/40 or 65/35 Olimar?
He can't chaingrab, but I think he has decent tech chase stuff. What's the best thing to do after you've been thrown?

gantrain05

Smash Master
He can't chaingrab, but I think he has decent tech chase stuff. What's the best thing to do after you've been thrown?
usually what i do is after i get thrown i absolutely DO NOT tech the throw, because if DDD decides to chase right after his Dthrow and you tech it, he can hit you with his Dash attack 90 percent of the time, and its a very powerful dash with alot of horizontal knockback, basically just lay on the ground and read what he's gonna do. if you see a dash coming, use your A button to get up and knock him down and reset the field to neutral,

and and btw nice seein ya on the olimar boards, haven't heard much from you other than jokers thread.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Wouldn't teching away work as well? I don't think I've ever been hit when I tech away.
well the few times i teched away from DDD, he read me and just kept running and grabbed me again, for me it just seems safer to sit on the ground and wait lol.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
It always seems like I've had a little time (enough to react) to avoid his regrab, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess sitting on the ground is pretty safe though so you might as well do that.

Cook

Smash Master
It seems like if I wait on the ground and he just waits for me then he can grab me again either way I roll when I get up and that he can shield my get-up attack. I may be wrong, but it seems like that happens a lot, like he's too fat to roll behind. Also, sometimes I'm able to jump out of his throw before I ever hit the ground, which allows me to avoid any sort of chase. I'm not sure if I'm just DIing away or what, I'm usually not paying that much attention...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
So folks, this is what we've got so far.
Bowser
Captain Falcon
Diddy Kong: 50-50
Donkey Kong: 60-40
Falco: 50-50
Fox: 60-40
Mr. Game and Watch: 45-55
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby: 40-60
Link: 70-30
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Mario
Marth: 40-60
Meta-Knight: 40-60 [some say 50-50]
Ness
Olimar: 50-50
Peach: 30-70
Pikachu: 55-45
Pit: 60-40
Pokemon Trainer
Squirtle
Charizard
Ivysaur
ROB: 35-65
Samus
Sheik: 40-60
Snake
Sonic
Toon Link: 65-35
Wario - 50-50
Wolf: 45-55
Yoshi: 40-60 [some say 60-40 or even]
Zelda: 75-25
Zero Suit Samus: 55-45
who wants to go first?

*goes to bed*

Cook

Smash Master
Is Link seriously 70-30? I kind of have trouble with him, more than against other characters like Luigi, Kirby, Marth, G&W, and ROB. Maybe the Links I've played are just better than the G&Ws, Marths, ROBs, Luigis, and Kirbys.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Is Link seriously 70-30? I kind of have trouble with him, more than against other characters like Luigi, Kirby, Marth, G&W, and ROB. Maybe the Links I've played are just better than the G&Ws, Marths, ROBs, Luigis, and Kirbys.
Jokers link is pretty good, i don't know if you've played him. but as for jokers tournies, there really arent any marth mains, theres a few secondariers, Game and watch has a couple guys main him, skizm and kit or jordan i don't remember which one, and bonehimer plays ROB. but yeah, i actually have never played a link with my Olimar, usually my fox or ness takes care of that matchup.

asob4

Smash Champion
it really is 70-30

we out camp him, which is all he can do.
just watch the zair, jab, and usmash
shouldn't have to worry about dair

Cook

Smash Master
Jokers link is pretty good, i don't know if you've played him. but as for jokers tournies, there really arent any marth mains, theres a few secondariers, Game and watch has a couple guys main him, skizm and kit or jordan i don't remember which one, and bonehimer plays ROB. but yeah, i actually have never played a link with my Olimar, usually my fox or ness takes care of that matchup.
I've only played Joker's Snake and MK. Jordan and Schism both play G&W and I usually have no problem against them, Kit and one of my other friends uses Marth as a second and don't give me much trouble, Jordan uses Luigi sometimes and someone used him in a doubles tournament last weekend and I didn't have any trouble, Kit uses Kirby as a second and someone also used him in the doubles tourney and I did well against them, and Kit's little brother mains ROB and I beat him. I haven't played many Links, but I have trouble with them when I do. Maybe it's just because I don't know the matchup well or something.

it really is 70-30

If I remember right it seems like his f-smash punishes missed grabs, but I could be wrong. Jab and u-smash do mess me up, though.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
it really is 70-30

OK, this is a common Link misconception. A good Link main won't solely use DAC and Usmash for kills. As a matter of fact, this technique is incredibly situational. Link's killing moves are Dsmash, Fsmash, and Dair. (Olimar's Usmash has more priority than Dair though, I believe. Either that or they clank)

Olimar can't completely outcamp Link, but prevails the majority of the time. Good Link mains also won't try to Zair an Olimar, he's just to small. There's no way a normal Zair could hit a character that miniscule...

The jab actually poses a problem. It fends off all of Olimar's pikmin, including purples. (I think)

The match-up is definately not 70-30. Olimar can't really gimp Link unless he spikes, and Link can't really gimp Olimar unless he Gale Guards. (Meaning their gimping potential on each other is about equal) Olimar has much more priority in virtually every aspect, but Link can utilizes his high priority Fair and Bair on Olimar.

The match-up couldn't be any more lenient than 60-40 in Olimar's favor. It could even be as close as 55-45.

gantrain05

Smash Master
OK, this is a common Link misconception. A good Link main won't solely use DAC and Usmash for kills. As a matter of fact, this technique is incredibly situational. Link's killing moves are Dsmash, Fsmash, and Dair. (Olimar's Usmash has more priority than Dair though, I believe. Either that or they clank)

Olimar can't completely outcamp Link, but prevails the majority of the time. Good Link mains also won't try to Zair an Olimar, he's just to small. There's no way a normal Zair could hit a character that miniscule...

The jab actually poses a problem. It fends off all of Olimar's pikmin, including purples. (I think)

The match-up is definately not 70-30. Olimar can't really gimp Link unless he spikes, and Link can't really gimp Olimar unless he Gale Guards. (Meaning their gimping potential on each other is about equal) Olimar has much more priority in virtually every aspect, but Link can utilizes his high priority Fair and Bair on Olimar.

The match-up couldn't be any more lenient than 60-40 in Olimar's favor. It could even be as close as 55-45.
Actually, Olimar has probably the least priority attacks in the game, the only attacks that are really decent priority are probably his Uair, and his UpB the rest of them kinda get destroyed by all the other characters simply jabbing at him. but actually link isn't too hard to gimp, if he's knocked far enough away he has to rely on his UpB to make it back or even his tether, Olimar can just jump off the stage and tether grab first and hang safely below link. I've done it many times, and link really doesn't have the option to go after you and try to knock you off because if he does he wont make it back.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
...Olimar can just jump off the stage and tether grab first and hang safely below link. I've done it many times, and link really doesn't have the option to go after you and try to knock you off because if he does he wont make it back.
Bombs and boomerang will easily get olimar off of the ledge... :ohwell:

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
the lag will put you in a bad position, and we can just tether again :/
depends... if the boomerang is used too late you (as in Olimar, as it has been implied) can tether again, and if bombs are used (at any time really) it will induce enough hitstun to insure Link a safe reach to the ledge.

gantrain05

Smash Master
depends... if the boomerang is used too late you (as in Olimar, as it has been implied) can tether again, and if bombs are used (at any time really) it will induce enough hitstun to insure Link a safe reach to the ledge.
no they won't, unless your right next to the edge, olimars tether is extremely long and quick to grab an edge.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
no they won't, unless your right next to the edge, olimars tether is extremely long and quick to grab an edge.
Bombs have pretty good hit stun (for Brawl) and can combo quite well. Plus when you get there, Zair edgeguard. Easy as cake. Well if he chases you that is.

NintenJoe, I'm appalled, why didn't you mention the Zair Edgeguard lol It ***** characters like LOLimar.

gantrain05

Smash Master
seems weird that you dont believe what nintenjoe is telling you... you are kind of stupid actually.
....so im supposed to just say, oh nintenjoe said it, its absolute fact? why are you coming in here disrespecting people like that? its called a matchup discussion, we believe two different things so we debate over it? you got a problem with that?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Lootic, play nice. I believe gantrain05 is arguing from strict experience from Joker's Link, not so much info on the boards. I have no idea what kind of AT's Olimar has (and how useful they may be) so I'm going to stay quiet on it. I have no experience against Olimar as Link and I'm relying solely on info I've gathered as a Link mainer (in defense of Link). All I can really do to argue against Olimar is rely on more common knowledge about the character. So Lootic, show the guy a little respect.

gantrain05

Smash Master
maybe i worded what im trying to say wrong, but basically what it was, is if link is in the position where he HAS to use his UpB to recover Olimar can easily go underneath him and edgehog with his tether, and possible stage spike him in the process, but if you still have another jump bombs can work, but the timing and aim have to be right on, and if oli is already hanging on his tether he can retract to the edge and dodge the bomb, which either way isn't a good situation to be on the ledge with olimar on the stage.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Oh I see now. FFing or no FF? Link falls fast so my advice on that strategy is to FF to get to the stage and edgehog him. And bomb stage spike, not that easy. It's hard to pull off.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
maybe i worded what im trying to say wrong, but basically what it was, is if link is in the position where he HAS to use his UpB to recover Olimar can easily go underneath him and edgehog with his tether, and possible stage spike him in the process, but if you still have another jump bombs can work, but the timing and aim have to be right on, and if oli is already hanging on his tether he can retract to the edge and dodge the bomb, which either way isn't a good situation to be on the ledge with olimar on the stage.
That's true, but the same can be said for Olimar. If Olimar is approaching the ledge, Link can easily gale guard and Zair edgeguard (and hold the ledge with the clawshot) to both push Oli far away enough and prevent him from retaliating. I haven't been trying to argue that Link's gimping potential is better, but that they're equal. On a side note, WAC doesn't effect the gale effect either.

gantrain05

Smash Master
That's true, but the same can be said for Olimar. If Olimar is approaching the ledge, Link can easily gale guard and Zair edgeguard (and hold the ledge with the clawshot) to both push Oli far away enough and prevent him from retaliating. I haven't been trying to argue that Link's gimping potential is better, but that they're equal. On a side note, WAC doesn't effect the gale effect either.
this is really true, as an olimar secondary i kinda get used to being edgegaurded lol. but i really think that olimar does a better job of getting link off stage than the other way around, but yeah, that gale boomerang is a very annoying projectile, but thats why i main peach =P

D

Deleted member

link ***** olimar

olimar can't do **** against link's spacing and the rest of his tricks

if you don't believe me ask Fino

gantrain05

Smash Master
link ***** olimar

olimar can't do **** against link's spacing and the rest of his tricks

if you don't believe me ask Fino
i really don't believe you, links spacing isn't an issue as olimar really doesn't approach too often, Zair won't really be that effective because olimar is too small to try it on, and if you jump in the air to even attempt a Zair you bet your balls olimar is going to be right under your feet.

D

Deleted member

Arkive, lets be respectful here. At least up hold some more argument lol

Lets make peace. :D
i don't think so lol

i really don't believe you, links spacing isn't an issue as olimar really doesn't approach too often, Zair won't really be that effective because olimar is too small to try it on, and if you jump in the air to even attempt a Zair you bet your balls olimar is going to be right under your feet.
FF nair > A,A > any of links moves

i'll set that combo up on you any day

my link does work

asob4

Smash Champion
however a lot of this won't happen, as most of links move send vertical more than horizontal, and oli is light
meaning oli will always be at a diagonal angle recovering with good DI so we don't even have to worry about tethering to the ledge.

oli spaces better and our projectiles stops yours dead. latched pikmin blow the bomb on you as you try to throw it.

zair is the only real problem... if it hits us that is

also, when we edgeguard you, we can tetherhog from above the stage and fall then pull in for invinciblity, or just fall so you can't get it. we get an extra second of ledgehogging with the tether with being in absolutely no danger at all.

we can just sheild grab any of your ground based moves. not even snakes ftilt knocks us far enough away to not be able to punish with a grab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom