• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player-1

Smash Legend
play 4god, I honestly think he knows the Diddy MU better than any other D3 out there, probably MK as well, he took m2k to last stock in tournament I think both games, but I'm not sure, I know at least 1.

edit: dfear didn't you complain to me about how 4god knows that MU well too ^.^

Tmacc

Smash Lord
hey im sure i played u tmacc at whobo amirite? im positive that d3 can never beat diddy ever ever :s
Haha yes, that's me. Wish we could have played more with my Diddy so I could have learned a few more things.

And yes, I've always said it, but I think Diddy is definitely one of his hardest MUs, especially at highest levels of play.

Thanks Count :cool:
MW doin' it right.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
4god so legit. his hat is legit too :p cant wait till he comes back to florida. i only played him in two friendlies on final d :s so it wasnt really legit but he DOES know the matchup, doesnt stop diddy tho

cmon p1, diddy + rc + p1 = unwinnable matchup

Player-1

Smash Legend
actually, we played 3 friendly sets at a tournament.

1st set all neutrals I win, usually 1 stock mid percent
2nd set. 1st was FD and barely won, 2nd game on RC and I JV 3 stocked him.
3rd set on neutrals again and he won.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Against D3 in particular on RC all you have to do to win is:

camp left side of boat and throw bananas up in the air, make sure you stay to the left side of that slope. If D3 grabs you then you can midair jump out of the CG because of that slope, it only works for smaller characters.

Once you get to the part where the boat crashes, camp the bottom part of the slope

Once the stage starts moving up just stay below him with a banana in hand and throw it up at him

Camp the tetris blocks on the pendulum or the left platforms until the right platform appears

Camp next to the wall on the right side on the tetris blocks with both bananas out, tetris blocks with both bananas will mess with any grab d3 tries to get on you

once the stage starts moving to the right again just camp the right side because of all of the slopes that will screw with d3's CG

then just repeat.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I think Diddy is much better on RC against D3 than Delfino, personally. When I played D3, I always Cp'd Diddys to Delfino. If he messes up banana placement once and falls into a grab, it can end in a stock, or a ton of damage depending on the transformation.

On RC, Diddy has a ton of good camping options. While he also has similarly good options on Delfino, there is much more "constant" risk on that stage in my opinion against D3. Plus, I feel when D3 is in the air and Diddy is on the ground, Diddy is pretty good at finding ways to limit his options, especially with how he can position himself on RC.

As a Diddy, I will probably be banning Delfino against D3 until I learn reasons to do otherwise.

Sails

Smash Ace
If you haven't noticed, there is a new Matchup Index for us now, hosted by yours truly. I'll be running things around here for Matchup Discussion, so let's get the show on the road! The first thread is already up and will be closing for Discussion on April 2nd, but after then threads will be open for a week only! I plan on being very prompt with thread closure, summary and ratio setting, as well as creating new threads every Saturday, and of course keeping the index updated. I ask that everyone contribute so that we may all benefit from the advancements in Diddy's Metagame over the years. I also ask that any questions regarding Matchups that don't currently have a thread open be posted in the Balloon Blast Matchup Index thread. This keeps out clutter from the Social thread and gives us a nice repository for various tidbits instead of scattering them around this constantly moving thread.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Is there a thread anywhere about camping with Diddy?

Or one about monkey flip and how to use it properly in each situation?

I'm having trouble with these in my new Diddy game, and had found threads for everything else I had looked for so far besides these.

Kantrip

Kantplay
A few pretty simple questions, I just attended my first tourney a few days ago:

Against players who know the Diddy matchup or are just extremely adept with items in general, how do I deal with banana placement so as not to allow them to take control? Is one in your hand and one behind you the best way to go about this? Should you always have one U-throwed, or at least, as much as possible?

Also against these kind of players, is baiting a shield with a down or up throw glide toss a good strategy to use? I found that opponents were able to shield and z-grab my bananas consistently, very annoying when your stage control gets reversed.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Or one about monkey flip and how to use it properly in each situation?
No thread really. just sideb when you normally cannot reach with another attack (if you throw a nana from maximum distance and you cannot reach/punish by any other means), it is unwise to use it as an approach (unless recovering and u need to either trade hits or knock someone off ledge etc etc) and if needed kick either asap or as late as possible AND preferably landing near a ledge so you can cancel it into anything else of your comfort aka jump or sideb again etc etc very versatile move just mess with it it has more than the uses than what i listed.

Against players who know the Diddy matchup or are just extremely adept with items in general, how do I deal with banana placement so as not to allow them to take control? Is one in your hand and one behind you the best way to go about this? Should you always have one U-throwed, or at least, as much as possible?

Also against these kind of players, is baiting a shield with a down or up throw glide toss a good strategy to use? I found that opponents were able to shield and z-grab my bananas consistently, very annoying when your stage control gets reversed.
^legit question.
more or less you must adapt to the performance of your opponents banana play. if sacrificing one banana will allow you the punish then by all means let him have the 2nd banana, etc. but having nanas near you will give you the best possible control for any given situation, but you are somewhat limited in control in that sense universally.

baiting a shield? just walking next to someone can make them shield, you have to condition them to shield to make them shield, nothing is given it must be earned bro.

but i see what u mean by throwing a banana at them and them catching, well...punish them for that **** if they catch with z then fair them for it or catch the banana first, if they adapt and catch with an aerial then u adapt accordingly etc etc its rock paper scissors until u realize their patterns etc. sometimes even givin them the nana will limit their attackin options, just gotta know what you can do with what they can do.

and stage control...it cannot be reversed it can only be changed to diddy's liking ;)

also

10etc's

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Neutrals
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise/Pokemon Stadium 1 (usually one or the other)
Yoshi's Island

CounterPicks
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise/Pokemon Stadium 1 (whichever wasnt the neutral)
Pokemon Stadium 2
PictoChat
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
Neutrals:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island

CP's:
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1

And possebly Picto

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

Just remember what attacks your opponents lose while they are holding a banana. for characters like MK, its usually not worth it. You have more options against some characters that are holding items because they might be more limited.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Thanks for the answers! I suppose it is a matter of getting experience so I can learn each characters options while they have a banana. That will probably dictate what they will do with it (hold on, throw offstage, U-throw it), right? Then I can start predicting and take those nannerz right back?

Thanks again.

tibs7

Smash Champion
effing australia seriously
why are we the only ones that dont have FD as neutral?
i seriously think we dont have it because of diddykong having 3 cps but america doesnt seem to care.
i dont understand.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom