• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
So I started trying to get good again.

The problem is I don't for the life of me remember the Snake match up.

So I've decided we should talk about Snake and stuff.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
O hi, I'm new here.

Pivot dtilt and dsmash any good used constantly? I don't know if i'm being clear with this. It's like, whe you are running and turn around, you can slide with the dtilt and dsmash...

I suppose it's a pretty old thing, I haven't tested it yet in a serious match, just discovered it playing around in training mode.

I've been practicing with Diddy, I think I have the basics straight and I consider myself a "decent" Diddy (Banana control mostly), I just need to practice lots more. I'd love to post some videos up, there'll be a tourney this friday (I'm TO tho', no entry at tourney :c), I'll try to record a money match or something :) I'd love some critique.

Oh, also, tips for the MK matchup? (short, quick tips. I know there's a matchup thread but I think it's kinda old now.) I'd really appreciate top level players short tips.

Someone help dis guy out

Salsa

Smash Rookie
I could never get the timing right for it. sadly.
You talking about the Pivot D-Smash / D-tilt? It's not that hard, you need to slide when turning and then do the D-Smash.. ugh, I will try to record it, or is there any video of this already? It's not that hard to do, and it seems like a very useful trick :p The only problem is that it's kinda risky, you need a nice space for running and turning around... it's hard to explain lol.

So I started trying to get good again.

The problem is I don't for the life of me remember the Snake match up.

So I've decided we should talk about Snake and stuff.
The Snake match-up is pretty common here at southeastern Mexico... there's a pretty good Snake at Merida, Yucatan , and Cancun also has lots of Snakes... (Anyone knows around here? :p) Maybe I can help!

One must is trying to avoid dash attacks.. that's free damage to Snake, he will normally grab you or you'll get hit by a grenade or something.

Also, play safe with Snake, "campy" even, I'm lucky to have been fighting Snakes that don't have a good grasp of controlling bananas but of what I have seen in high-level tournaments videos on YT, grenades and grabs ****, also the feared uptilt, if you have a high percentage, be sure that he will try to grab you and u-tilt you to death, try to surprise him with grab-escaping rolls... mix it up.

Another tip.. practice off-stage attacking Snake, he's not that hard to gimp, smart Snakes will usually recover high off the stage tho'. Both characters have great ground game, but Snake suffers in the air, try to mix up your attacks and grabs, send him off the stage!

Banana throwing (GT on the air.. I dunno how it's called lol) followed with monkey flips to get near your bananas, return his grenades, have always one banana with you to avoid the grabs.. popgun reverse cancelling is helpful too.. watch videos, it helps lots :p Be aware of grenades when attacking!

And remember to practice!

Hope it helps..

A video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XvxxLBdgKA

Gnes

Smash Master
wario can't really do anything to our shield. he can jump around it but you can just upsmash OOS or roll away super quick because wario can't punish rolls. you don't have to necessarily do only retreating moves to beat wario. just notice patterns and predict jumps with fair. then when the fart times come, just play really safe.
What the...wario can do everything to our shield dair is safe, nair is safe, and up air from behind our shield is safe(all i can remember). I do agree with up smashing OoS but we have to predict them with it, and also its super easy to SDI out of that. Also i agree wario can't punish rolls, but I was only debating the fact that you said Wario is bad against shields or something along those lines, which is wrong. Wario has safe options on D3's shield lol.

Also fair is really risky considering wario's mobility in the air is so great that if we whiff he can pretty much punish with anything. I would much rather go with bair.

ADHD

Smash Hero
What the...wario can do everything to our shield dair is safe, nair is safe, and up air from behind our shield is safe(all i can remember). I do agree with up smashing OoS but we have to predict them with it, and also its super easy to SDI out of that. Also i agree wario can't punish rolls, but I was only debating the fact that you said Wario is bad against shields or something along those lines, which is wrong. Wario has safe options on D3's shield lol.

Also fair is really risky considering wario's mobility in the air is so great that if we whiff he can pretty much punish with anything. I would much rather go with bair.
You can retreating fair if you predict him jumping. He can't clash fair with anything decent, and Wario isn't going to rely on his ground game so his jumping will be quite predictable.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You can retreating fair if you predict him jumping. He can't clash fair with anything decent, and Wario isn't going to rely on his ground game so his jumping will be quite predictable.
I don't think this is worth it because if you predict wrong, that's a free grab for Wario (Air Dodge to grab/ Dash shield grab). I think it is better to do a retreating B-air. This way, you will not punished if you predict wrong

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman

of course you cant do anything back to wario if you're not holding bananas. If he attacks your shield with a move other than fair then you can get a guaranteed throw-grab.

if you don't fair like a ******* you won't get hit. simple as that. you'd have to full hop jump and fair at the wrong time with wario still having a jump if you want to get hit by something, which is also why you have to keep track of his jumps when you go for these things.

back air is nice... if you don't want to do any damage and get hit by everything. Fair on the other hand, has a lasting hitbox and will deal lots of damage when connected. If you're getting hit while missing fair's, you're doing it wrong. retreating fairs/counting jumps fo life.

EDIT FOR JEBUS: I swear to god you don't play the game. retreating back air? really? I think i'm just gonna play safe and you know... not get hit at all? I guess that means we should time out wario since we can't engage him in the air.... how unfortunate for us. too bad our fair SUCKS and ISN'T amazing.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
<- learned the wario matchup

:troll:

ayo gdx confirmed for whobo in mah car...get hyped....florida diddys will **** ;)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
<- learned the wario matchup

:troll:

ayo gdx confirmed for whobo in mah car...get hyped....florida diddys will **** ;)
we'll see :troll:

about the wario matchup i mean. lol you cant even tell i put that part in bold

DFEAR

Smash Hero
its all bold anyway lol

ayo tho srsly tho keith man giv me those wario friendlies plz ill pay u back in lolz and what not for 16 hrs ;)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
its all bold anyway lol

ayo tho srsly tho keith man giv me those wario friendlies plz ill pay u back in lolz and what not for 16 hrs ;)
lol yea thats fine. we have to make sure to do well, as our two better diddy counterparts will be in attendance (gnes and adhd)

but i think its 12 from here. pretty much like going to HERB2 but better

im tempted to buy/download pokemon black before the trip. it comes out like the tuesday before...

DFEAR

Smash Hero
you do know the current diddy tier list is

1-2 debatable
3-4 debatable between dfear and gdx
5 is jebus HANDS DOWN NO ARGUEMENTS

i bought this book for the trip
http://sianbeilock.com/choke-book.html

and if ur getting pkmn black then PLS have ONE pkmn named after all of us in the car...and no matter what i claim the new mole pkmn as he is amazing in sandstorm...or kingdra/aipom ur call ;) but ur forced to have one or the other lol

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
B-air is Diddy's best non special move.
As a single counterexample, F-Air's range, duration, and priority shuts down far, far more character's options than B-Air. If it wasn't 1 in the morning I'd give a list, but I hope that this far into the game's history I wouldn't have to.

Sweeping claims are easily refuted by a single counterexample... This is 10th grade-level English argumentation we're talking here. You can do better than that.

EDIT: I *hope* this is at most 10th grade-level, or public education outside northern Alabama must suck

EDIT 2: And we all know his best "non special" move is D-Air :troll:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
you do know the current diddy tier list is

1-2 debatable
3-4 debatable between dfear and gdx
5 is jebus HANDS DOWN NO ARGUEMENTS

i bought this book for the trip
http://sianbeilock.com/choke-book.html

and if ur getting pkmn black then PLS have ONE pkmn named after all of us in the car...and no matter what i claim the new mole pkmn as he is amazing in sandstorm...or kingdra/aipom ur call ;) but ur forced to have one or the other lol
What are you talking about?

@Ingulit, I think that B-air would be one of Diddy's best approaches if it wasn't for the fact that you have to RAR. If only B-air and F-air could switch spots

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
benny, i have the same phone as MVD (EVO 4g) and we got 3G coverage the entire trip to houston, AND we got 4g in houston

We can pretty much watch any streaming video on any website on the trip and not give a ****

we in there

Edit: you can have aipom, i never use that char anyway

actually i never nickname my pokemon. The only one i ever did was Alakazam, and i changed his name to Two Scoops :troll:

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i have a flip with droid os wit 3g : ] im on ur boat

but my phone is a battery guzzler

you know we're gettin a van right...****s gonna be hyped

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i have a flip with droid os wit 3g : ] im on ur boat

but my phone is a battery guzzler

you know we're gettin a van right...****s gonna be hyped
yea. I have a car charger though thats actually the cigarette to USB. and i got a 6 ft long USB charging cable. So i dont even have to be in the front seat.

i call row behind driver though, so my **** can reach. i also call the far left side against the window

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i call sitting next to good ol gdx o.o... oh and xaltis will be in that row as well

EVERYONE ELSE IN THE BACK

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
@Ingulit, I think that B-air would be one of Diddy's best approaches if it wasn't for the fact that you have to RAR. If only B-air and F-air could switch spots
You're going to have to give me specific reasons why you think that if you're going to change my opinion. I've already given my reasons why I think F-Air is better, and you're yet to refute them; you've just repeated that you think B-Air is a good move.

Salsa

Smash Rookie
/ignoredinthesocialthreadboohoo

Huh, well, now I see the Wario match-up discussion is the actual trend, followed up by Jebus arguing B-Air is trollific.

Huh, I just realized it's Ing-u-lit, not Inguilt. I'm illuminated.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Uh, bro, I agreed with you that Pivot D-Smash is good, you never posted a video to get critiqued, and we have an entire thread dedicated to the MK match-up (the game hasn't changed much... all the information is still relevant; the idea that the MK thread is "old" doesn't really matter). You can't say you were ignored when everything you brought up has been addressed or cannot be answered.

Also, welcome to the Diddy social. You'll get used to how we work, I promise :p

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
/ignoredinthesocialthreadboohoo

Huh, well, now I see the Wario match-up discussion is the actual trend, followed up by Jebus arguing B-Air is trollific.

Huh, I just realized it's Ing-u-lit, not Inguilt. I'm illuminated.

...holy crap it is. never knew that lol

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You're going to have to give me specific reasons why you think that if you're going to change my opinion. I've already given my reasons why I think F-Air is better, and you're yet to refute them; you've just repeated that you think B-Air is a good move.
Reasons why B-air is better than F-air:

has more range
is faster
you can do two out of a short hop
one of his best moves for picking up bananas
best move for momentum canceling

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
Back air does not have more range than forward air...

you can have input on matchups when:

1. a wario player exists in socal
2. you place above 25th in a local tournament

in the meanwhile, don't speak about matchups unless addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom