• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
:|

I was saying that the combo that everyone was arguing about for five pages is legit. If I have to spell it out:

Monkey Flip Kick (hit the opponent offstage) > Land on Edge, slide off ("Edge Cancel") > D-Air to spike

It works against opponents past 35%-ish because they can't both Airdodge and Jump in time to avoid the D-Air.

Do I still need to take this explanation down a few more high school grades, or is that clear enough for you now?

EDIT: To make this as simple as humanly possible, watch the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do0pKPQLmIQ

Kaptain Kong: That would actually be a funny statistic to find out about different players.

I just did it for one of my replays, and I ended up with only 4 PPM xD

Player-1

Smash Legend
i shoot too many peanuts to count.

hey ingulit, im in high school and that's exactly what i have been saying this entire time >=(

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I need to test this out for myself on someone who actually air dodges. I also have a question. Does anyone know if all of the characters item throw frame data is the same?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I need to test this out for myself on someone who actually air dodges. I also have a question. Does anyone know if all of the characters item throw frame data is the same?
nope...i know for a fact every throw is different.
florida...melting pot of smash...we use every character here competitively >.<

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
....why did I just read all of the last like 80 posts?

Anyway, concerning the grizzfinite; I was practicing my consistency with it a while ago and I found out a few things.

1) Grizzer's turn links with another turn on some characters. I tried it against MK, G&W, ZSS, Fox, and Mario, and got it to work. This means that there's less chance of a 2nd banana interfering with the infinite if you're able to do this shorter version.

2) I was playing a computer just trying to power-shield stuff and look for set-ups while practicing the infinite itself, and for some reason I just noticed that trying to do this is safer than what you might think. I don't know the exact frame-time of a SH D-throw, but it doesn't take that long. The other, I think more important thing is that if your opponent shields a SH D-throw and you end up behind him (as you should, because if they don't shield then you need to land about that distance to infinite), you can buffer a turn around grab because of the autocancelled D-air.

To try to make this a bit more simple:

You jump and SH D-throw, opponent shields, you FF autocancel D-air (you can't react in time to stop doing that).

If they stay in shield you can easily react to that and buffer a turn around grab on landing.

A lot of characters could punish this on reaction after the D-thrown banana hits, with moves such as MK's or Marth's up-Bs, but it can catch people off-guard especially when they aren't looking for it. The other thing is that if they try punishing you with a jump OoS into something, and they don't Z-catch or instant throw the banana, it will hit them for a small amount of damage and interrupt them. And since Diddy's D-air is autocancelled, if you think they'll try to punish you, you can just shield when you land.

Knowing all of this makes me more likely to try connecting with the infinite. Plus, if you do get the trip, it's a ****ing infinite.

tl;dr: STOP BEING LAZY AND LEARN THIS

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
because you crazy mang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone tried doing this with a character rolling back? Maybe it might not work if someone rolls back

MBlaze

Smash Champion
:|

I was saying that the combo that everyone was arguing about for five pages is legit. If I have to spell it out:

Monkey Flip Kick (hit the opponent offstage) > Land on Edge, slide off ("Edge Cancel") > D-Air to spike

It works against opponents past 35%-ish because they can't both Airdodge and Jump in time to avoid the D-Air.

Do I still need to take this explanation down a few more high school grades, or is that clear enough for you now?

EDIT: To make this as simple as humanly possible, watch the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do0pKPQLmIQ

Kaptain Kong: That would actually be a funny statistic to find out about different players.

I just did it for one of my replays, and I ended up with only 4 PPM xD
Oh I know this, I do this lol, usually not with dair because I don't feel like ****ing up and dying.

TreK

Is "that guy"
nope, DDD and GaW's standing tosses can be shielded on reaction in example, even if you're next to them...

Edit : setting up those SH dtosses has never been that hard for me, idk wtf you're all whining about. I'm just bad at the infinite and I usually use it as a way to chase or set up a kill...

DFEAR

Smash Hero
well lets look at pickachu...he needs to tilt his whole body back to throw which u can actually punish on reaction while diddy's or snake's throw is quite instant (of course glide tossing is slower than stationary throwing)

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
there are alot of moves that you can punish with an SNL if they hit your shield... ALOT
and its not too punishable to try it

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
MBlaze it quite honestly took me like 30 minutes for me to learn it at first, and since then I've spent maybe 5 minutes every few days improving my consistency. It's still not perfect, but like 30 minutes is no time at all, especially considering that it's an infinite.

It takes much longer to get consistent with IC's CGs/Melee's everything.

ya'll *****s just lazy

MBlaze

Smash Champion
MBlaze it quite honestly took me like 30 minutes for me to learn it at first, and since then I've spent maybe 5 minutes every few days improving my consistency. It's still not perfect, but like 30 minutes is no time at all, especially considering that it's an infinite.

It takes much longer to get consistent with IC's CGs/Melee's everything.

ya'll *****s just lazy
Set it up in matches and successfully pull them off on good players and record them, show them to me and I'll be convinced.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Set it up in matches and successfully pull them off on good players and record them, show them to me and I'll be convinced.
I guess you're waiting until July @_@.

I don't understand the mentality of waiting for mediocre players to pull it off before good players start to learn it, especially when it takes not even an hour of your time to learn, isn't difficult to do, isn't difficult to set-up, isn't extremely punishable, and is an infinite

The chr. in your avatar is dead
...wat

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I guess you're waiting until July @_@.

I don't understand the mentality of waiting for mediocre players to pull it off before good players start to learn it, especially when it takes not even an hour of your time to learn, isn't difficult to do, isn't difficult to set-up, isn't extremely punishable, and is an infinite
I just wanna see it actually work in matches before I pick it up and learn it, not making the same mistake of all the last tons of bull**** that's been coming out of here.

My reasons for not learning it. Because I do realize to more excessive flashy **** I tried to put in my play style, the harder I got *****.

leffen

Smash Champion
lmfao @ gnes, so not true :p.
Not only does it make you harder to read, it also allows you to pressure your opponent ( mindgames too etc )

TreK

Is "that guy"
You're just lazy ADHD...

Today, I landed 2 SNLs on France's like n°3 player, Leon. But only the first hit plus a chase, I'm still training and I wasn't able to follow up with the infinite. It would've won me a match lol

Broken dropping has won me 5 tournament matches out of 20-25 today. Probably more, I'm just counting the matches where it has set up a kill and not the ones where it stopped me from being juggled) It proved to be the most useful against MKs.

I also punished 3 CGs from Falcos, and 2 dair streams from a Peach thanks to instant dropping. Idk why, I wasn't able to instant drop from a nado...

I succesfully landed a dozen dtilts with bananas and all of them but two were followed up by a 35% combo.

Useless stuff ? I don't think so =V
And just so you get more convinced about that, remember that I'm not even good. Just imagine how broken you would be, ADHD, if you learned all that useless stuff =D

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I agree that in general, flashy stuff usually isn't as good, (to above not Teneban) but I still don't see how an infinite is flashy.

You could at least try to incorporate it into your game before dismissing it as bad.

Sails

Smash Ace
I'm trying to figure out who to secondary. I main Diddy of course, and I'm sure this has been discussed many other times before but I didn't see anything in my quick perusal, plus I need info fast for when I play with my friend tonight.

I'm not playing Meta Knight. I prefer an aggressive character if possible, campy characters bug me and led me to leaving Lucario a while back. I know this is essentially the entire cast, but there has to be someone else who has viable approaching playstyles, right?

Also, second question, is there better ways of recovering on Yoshi's Island? You can't really wall jump off of it because the jump zone is lower on the walls, and sometimes I even get blown up by aiming my barrels at the ledge. It's frustrating, and my opponent is usually Pikachu. Any advice? One thing on my mind is possibly recovering low and sticking to the wall, but to streamline it is there a way to stick to the wall out of a monkey flip?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I'm trying to figure out who to secondary. I main Diddy of course, and I'm sure this has been discussed many other times before but I didn't see anything in my quick perusal, plus I need info fast for when I play with my friend tonight.

I'm not playing Meta Knight. I prefer an aggressive character if possible, campy characters bug me and led me to leaving Lucario a while back. I know this is essentially the entire cast, but there has to be someone else who has viable approaching playstyles, right?

Also, second question, is there better ways of recovering on Yoshi's Island? You can't really wall jump off of it because the jump zone is lower on the walls, and sometimes I even get blown up by aiming my barrels at the ledge. It's frustrating, and my opponent is usually Pikachu. Any advice? One thing on my mind is possibly recovering low and sticking to the wall, but to streamline it is there a way to stick to the wall out of a monkey flip?
1) If you aren't recovering high, you're doing it wrong. ESPECIALLY against Pikachu on Yoshi's; if your friend is at all decent, I imagine he knows he can T-Jolt your barrels off very easily if you're recovering low.

2) Yes, you can Wall Cling immediately out of a Monkey Flip, but you shouldn't be doing that because it's risky to be that low while recovering and it is stupid slow. You should be using your Side-B when you're higher in the air such that you reach the edge sooner, not once you're below it.

3) If you don't want to play a campy character, why in hell are you playing Diddy, probably the second or third campiest character in the game?

4) I secondary Wolf and love it. He's decently campy, but you *can* approach if you want. He also wrecks some of our problem match-ups like Luigi. Most people will tell you Marth, and to be honest, that's probably your best choice if you're dead-set against using MK.

5) Learn to recover. Once you've played Diddy enough, you'll know how to angle your Barrels and not hit the ledge while doing so. As stated above, this starts by learning to recover high ALWAYS.

Sails

Smash Ace
It's just that stage though, I've had times where there was no reason I nailed some invisible wall, and did. It's annoying. But uh, I don't know about Diddy being campy. I guess in a sense he is, but he has options with his bananas to approach and that makes him a hell of a lot less campy than most characters. (In my opinion, of course) Thanks for the advice, he is a good Pikachu though and does do that. I usually try and recover high but I often get sent pretty low :|

Wolf? I'll have to look in to that, because he's an odd character. I haven't really played him...

Sails

Smash Ace
Lmao, I'm so much worse now.
I was going to say, I watched ADHD at GamingEtc and he didn't seem very campy :(

When I'm playing him he doesn't feel as campy, waiting/spacing for an opening is campy though, so I guess he is pretty **** campy.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Lmao, I'm so much worse now.
DAS YO FAULT...

yoo snake/d3 matchup...apparently i didnt know it as well as i thought i did :\ hrnut/co18 wreckd me...srsrly ANY advice would help. advice leaning towards absolute checkmating pls

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
That was one hell of a 5000th post

EDIT: I said it earlier regarding the D3 matchup: Instant Dropping when they are within range to Grab you is too good. You'll usually avoid the Grab and get the trip.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Lol at Diddy not being campy, next time I play (which is probably like 15 mins) since I don't play this game a lot since no wi-fi :), I'ma camp my *** the **** off and see how much better I do. I already know it's the better option but I don't like being that gay. lulz

ADHD

Smash Hero
That was one hell of a 5000th post

EDIT: I said it earlier regarding the D3 matchup: Instant Dropping when they are within range to Grab you is too good. You'll usually avoid the Grab and get the trip.
It is risky to do this because if he does manage to grab you before the banana lands there is trip armour (???) when you perform a throw. It's better to avoid him being near you in general. Augh, nobody plays DDD against me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom