• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If you read their roll then its 100% accurate. You only have to read one of three things, get up and roll back or roll forward. The worst thing they can do is roll forward because if they do then thats a free SNL. So now that only leaves two things, roll back or get up. But that still doesn't mean that you have to predict all the time. you can use this as a mix up. It can also be used to condition your opponent to get kills that you would have not gotten otherwise. I'm probably going to make a thread on this AT. Call it the Naner chase or something

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
If they roll immediately, what you said applies, but all they have to do is wait a second before getting up. The banana doesn't stay in the air forever; if he waits until right when you instant throw, you really have to predict his roll. He could also just react to the instant throw and roll accordingly, but you could maybe Z-catch the banana instead and punish him that way.

Either way, while it may work sometimes (or more if you read their habits), you have to commit to something.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
since there is prediction involved, then I guess that there is no way for it to be 100% accurate. The thing is that I don't abuse this AT every time I get the trip, so my opponent rarely sees it coming and thats why I land it successfully so many times. In a way it's kind of like the double banana lock. After the second throw, if you don't time it right or predict their rolls, then your opponent can roll away.With that being said, I think that it is reliable enough to use in matches. If you mess up, I don't see how you can get punished.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
The boards are special like that. They find something and obsess over it for 5 min. then they realize it's useless and complain about why they considered such a thing even useful at one time. :l

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
The boards are special like that. They find something and obsess over it for 5 min. then they realize it's useless and complain about why they considered such a thing even useful at one time. :l
Not me. I also found something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TotKteBVlMU the first 8 sec
I use this same banana pulling tech and I think that it is a really good way of pulling out your first banana. Never seen anyone else use it though :(

EDIT: Does anyone know the frame data for the popgun?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Iv'e noticed that diddy kong has so many techs and little tricks that I forget some when I play in tournament. then I sometimes remember situations in which I could have used them. does this happen to anyone else? Its like when I learn a new diddy tech, my brain forgets an old one

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
I don't like plucking naners when I'm facing someone if they're close. I feel vulnerable. ;~;

Eh, not rly jebus. I hate to try and make everything complicated with flashy techs and shtuff. I rather keep it simple.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I love watching old replays to see how my playstyle has changed. There are many, many times when I've realized that I've been overthinking how to play Diddy now that I know all these techs, and that in some cases my old "HOLY **** ZERG BANANA RUSH" strat is actually more effective than what I do now. Granted, I win a LOT more now, but that's beside the point.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
where do you guys think diddy would fall on the tier list without bananas? I think nanerless diddy has mid B tier potential.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere in the middle of mid tier. Cuz without naners he gets ***** by top tiers(most used chars) and some other chars scattered around the tier list. :l

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
where do you guys think diddy would fall on the tier list without bananas? I think nanerless diddy has mid B tier potential.
His F-Air is good but not broken. His Dash Attack has little lag but easily punishable. His B-Air is quick and has long range, and he has a decent spike. He has a rather good recovery, but it is gimped by every projectile in the game so far as I'm aware (well, not Fox's lazer, but you get what I mean). His smashes are short-ranged and don't kill until very high percents due to a lack of proper set-ups.

He'd be a slightly better Mario that doesn't kill as early. B-Tier might be pushing it.

Thankfully we have Bananas and don't have to worry about that :041:

Somewhere in the middle of mid tier. Cuz without naners he gets *****
fify

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I'm going to second main nanerless diddy. I think It would be scary to face a player who knows how to use diddy with and without bananas

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think that a lot of the diddy mains rely way too much on bananas and not enough on their nanerless diddy game
As Case Young once said "True strength comes from within"

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I think too many new players either

A) Focus only on their Bananas and nothing else, or
B) Simply have no clue when it is safe to pull a Banana.

I am DEFINITELY not saying you fall into either category, but learning how to play without a Banana with the intention to then pull a Banana safely is part of what makes you a "good" Diddy main.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Well what I want to do is get my nanerless diddy good enough to the point were I can use him to win against low and some mid tier characters and then who knows maybe some even top tiers

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I can sort of understand what you're saying, but there is no match-up where using Bananas does anything but help. I mean, if you're given the wood for a fence but decline the offer for a hammer to drive the nails in, well, you could bash your head against the nails and eventually it'd work, but really you could have just used the hammer.

EDIT: BAM! 888th post is a metaphor :041:

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Nanerless diddy is sooo fun to play :)

Diddy's combo game is phenooooomenal and i feel its really under appreciated.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I can sort of understand what you're saying, but there is no match-up where using Bananas does anything but help. I mean, if you're given the wood for a fence but decline the offer for a hammer to drive the nails in, well, you could bash your head against the nails and eventually it'd work, but really you could have just used the hammer.

EDIT: BAM! 888th post is a metaphor :041:
Yeah but there is also a huge amount of joy that I get from beating a player with a character that shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the tier list without his bananas. Maybe this is the same reason people main a low tier. There is also the plus side of not having to pick up any new character :)

TreK

Is "that guy"
If you don't wanna play risky, learn single nanered diddy instead of the nanerless diddy. The effects are the same (less risks but less rewards on everything you do), but you are still a threat for top tiers...

Granted, I am 50% single nana 40% binana 10 % no nana.

vato_break

Smash Master
snake is such a dumb matchup...i don't really know what to do. i know keeping him in the air is good but, it's kinda of hard to get IN and put him in those situations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom