• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player-1

Smash Legend
That's why 9B was losing the match. He was probably trying to go for that dumb **** in the first place. lmao.

PSNL is ********. It's about as useful as the single naner lock.
the thing is though, it is viable because we have set ups for it, a banana trip at close range to run up footstool is a true combo and once you get the footstool then it should be easy if you can do the psnl i the first place

DFEAR

Smash Hero
we can be even more broken with an infinite. lets say such a diddy is placing imagine the possibilities of such a diddy aided with actual intelligence imagine the possibilities lol

sai_:)

Smash Ace
I just think a ZERO to DEATH with SIMPLE SETUPS, should be something we research. I'm not saying we put a stop to the rest of the meta game but DAMMIT this seems important!

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea you can choose where u want ur opponent to trip tho characters such as ZSS who have a very far trip distance gotta vary it a little.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Alright everybody, I'm beginning my PSNL guide RIGHT NOW. I got it down pretty good and believe I will be able to describe it in fair enough detail for people to learn from it.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I just finished the guide and it is now up on our boards. Please comment so that it stays fresh, it needs to be seen by all serious Diddy players, it can be quite useful.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Regular SNL is really easy though and kinda viable so more people should learn it.
This PSNL stuff is haaard :I
I feel the exact opposite. I think PSNL is ULTRA easy. The SNL, for me, never happened. I just couldn't do it. I think it's just a matter of preference, and I think that the PSNL will have easier set ups anyway.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I feel the exact opposite. I think PSNL is ULTRA easy. The SNL, for me, never happened. I just couldn't do it. I think it's just a matter of preference, and I think that the PSNL will have easier set ups anyway.
While I can't say that I agree that the PSNL is easier than the SNL, you have to admit that the true bolded statement above is true.

Player-1

Smash Legend
not exactly true, you can start the SNL/PSNL with the other lock that you're not trying to do (you can transfer from a PSNL to a SNL and vice versa so they all have the same setups as long as you can do 1 successful lock of each).

Conti

Smash Ace
You should definately start researching setups for psnl...
[Would having a banana infront of u, nana in hand gt foward [has to trip]... quickly pickup banana infront run up footstool into psnl work at close range?]
and obviously sideb to footstool is our easy1...

Ok sorry to inturupt that subject but HOW DO I DEAL WITH A MARTH THAT SPAMS RUNNING FAIRS... or Fair in general... like I'm garbage at this matchup... as many tips and tricks and advice as possible would be appreciated

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Ok sorry to inturupt that subject but HOW DO I DEAL WITH A MARTH THAT SPAMS RUNNING FAIRS... or Fair in general... like I'm garbage at this matchup... as many tips and tricks and advice as possible would be appreciated
Put the Bananas where they'll land, and generally play safe. Wait until they've landed to approach, primarily when they've already Double Jumped. You HAVE to have tripped them/hit them with a Banana before you try anything... I don't know if any of our stuff out-ranges or out-prioritizes his F-Air (possibly our F-Air in very specific circumstances?). Punish Dancing Blade by rolling away and then attacking with Bananas... etc. I've only ever played one really good Marth, and he didn't particularly spam F-Airs (not saying he didn't use them, mind you). As I already said, I usually just waited for their landing lag to approach, especially if I can predict them Jumping again to F-Air some more (even if they're off the ground by the time the Banana hits them, if you space it right you'll have time to F-Air before they can react).

TBH... Good luck. Marth is one of my hardest match-ups :\

tibs7

Smash Champion
Conti I recently Versed a marth, vids are in the critique thread. I Aint the best but maybe you can find something there that may help

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Inguilt is right but I also have some more to add.

Bananas, when in the air, are hit boxes that you can make linger, even if briefly. Try throwing nanas up while they approach and backing up with your other nana in hand. They will be forced to slow their approach and consider the banana that could easily fall onto them and cause them to take some damage from you. Take advantage of their hesitation and nana them. You could also Z drop nana's while you retreat to attempt to have them run into it.

Depending on the level of the marth, you could even just shield grab the fair but thats only if they aren't spacing well.

Here's an idea I had today after I read that you needed help conti.

Marths operate the best when they can stay at their maximum distance and hurt you while doing it. Obviously getting inside of their comfortable zone creates issues for Marth players because the speed he has without the range he has isn't TERRIBLY fast. What I mean is that marth is fast for someone who reaches that far, but you can still be faster once you've gotten past his wall. I thought about the way that marths use fairs, weaving and pressure and figured this might be worth a try. Lets use Link/Tinks invici-bombing technique, where you airdodge while z dropping the banana. When marth runs forward to close the gap and start pressuring you, wait until you can predict the fair, then jump towards them, and with good timing, MAYBE the air dodge will protect you while you drop the banana to trip them up and you can follow up afterwards.

I've never actually tested that last thing, I'm sure it could work in some situations but whether or not it could make a notable difference in the match up, I'm not sure.

Now that I think about it though, with diddy's bananas, the invicibomb technique might actually prove to be pretty useful at stopping a pressure fighter/character. Food for thought I suppose.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
You could also Z drop nana's while you retreat to attempt to have them run into it.
As soon as you said that, my mind went to Instant Dropping too, lol

I don't know if it'd work, though, because the thing we're Airdodging through (his sword) is completely disjointed, and the Banana would just fall right through the sword. Beyond that, I think the Marth player might be able to F-Air you again after your Airdodge ends, so this would be a risky maneuver. The main problem with this technique for Diddy (as oppose to Tink and Link) is that we have to literally be touching the opponent for the Banana to hit, while they can just let the explosion take care of the job. In the end you'd have Airdodged through a single F-Air and won't have a Banana in hand anymore, unless you can somehow get reaaaaaally close before you Instant Drop.

I kinda rambled there, so if any of that didn't make sense, I'll re-word it later. Classes :|

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I considered the disjointed hit box, but I was unsure about the physics behind the air dodge. It stops your momentum from moving you forward doesn't it? If thats the case I can see that getting around marths disjointed hitbox would be quite difficult.

My point is really that I THINK it could work as a surprise tactic. The marth may in fact get excited at you rushing at them, not expecting it. Obviously this wouldn't be something to throw out there too often, but I have a feeling that if they continue spamming and you can punish them in this way then they will be discouraged to throw out the Fair as often, and they may give you a little breathing room.

Worth a try, right? Experimentation FTW.

Conti

Smash Ace
I'm definately gunna try those tips... cuz my friends marth is like alright, but I know my diddy better than he knows marth by a lot... and he picked up marth to play my diddy cuz I got good at the d3 matchup and beat his d3 consitantly... so ill focus more on zoning, between upthrown nanars, predicting landings,retreating, and geting inside marths comfort zone [uptilt to upair juggle is a good option verse marth cuz of his bad air dodge and options for a player underneath right?]

Tibs ill watch ur vids at some point tonight or tommorro. Bout to go out for a bit

sai_:)

Smash Ace
This may be a goofy question but I'm having an issue lately. I feel like one of the bigger weaknesses in my game play is a lack of mix up. Diddy is a character with a lot of mix up options but i feel like im not utilizing them properly, or enough. Is there a specific way to work on not having patterns, without creating a different pattern?

Player-3

Smash Hero
Whoever asked about marths fair, just sjield one then fair or shield nana throw

Your fair is really dumb

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm not sure whether I should laugh from your joke, or from you.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that we need more usmash. This **** is pretty much our fastest option out of shield, it does 16 friggin percents, sets up a juggle phase, by using it we aren't diminishing our overused and overusable fair so it gives Diddy an additional killmove against ROB/RDD/MK/etc...
I'm in ****ing love with this move right now. Kill me.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure whether I should laugh from your joke, or from you.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that we need more usmash. This **** is pretty much our fastest option out of shield, it does 16 friggin percents, sets up a juggle phase, by using it we aren't diminishing our overused and overusable fair so it gives Diddy an additional killmove against ROB/RDD/MK/etc...
I'm in ****ing love with this move right now. Kill me.
well, if i were to kill you with upsmash then you'd need to be like 300% and probably higher -.- no fair

also, hyphen upsmash to punish wiffed ground attacks really quickly (this actually works pretty well)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
upsmash Oos is still amazing.

im just afraid of using upsmash cuz most of atlantic south SDI's out of everything :\

btw whats this talk bout psnl >_> i want that discussion of running downsmash! i really want to learn that stuff

btw # 2, charging smashes for the duration of the FULL TRIP ANIMATION is better than unchargd/c stickd smashes...pickd that up just now...love the extra 30%+ knockback/earlier kill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom