• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
someone needs to make a brawl hack that let's you play seeing hitboxes and hurtboxes.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
^there are man. some require pressing taunts to activate them but it be great to play with them during matches lol

Conti

Smash Ace
I can't f'ing fight falco and I'm getting pissed off... my friends falco is like not even that good... and I can't win ... and at fusion1 real falcos 2stock me like no tommorro... I need tips (like the falco matchup hasn't been discussed in a while and idk.. I read it n try but idk...)

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)

sai_:)

Smash Ace
whats the supposed input for that supposed forced banana drop from chain grabs that we supposedly have? Its happened to me a few times but I don't know how to make it happen I suppose...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It doesn't actually work during hitstun. It's during frames where you are no longer in hitstun, just happens on first frame.

Also occurs randomly.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
It doesn't actually work during hitstun. It's during frames where you are no longer in hitstun, just happens on first frame.

Also occurs randomly.
Crap, I was informed incorrectly; I'll have to go correct myself where I've been saying "during hitstun" :x

EDIT: I have not added this to the Kongpendium because (as you can tell) I still don't know much about this technique. Also, does this tech deserve a unique name, or should it just be listed as "Drop a Banana During Chaingrabs"?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Those "techniques" are different.

.) You can lose your holding item while getting hit. You lose it as soon as you get hit and this is random.

.) But you can also let go of your item if you still have it. Only when hitstun has ended though. For this you hold shield and mash A.

Although I'm not sure actually how soon you can drop the banana... is it when you can airdodge, or when you can attack?
I'll go test it.
Sometimes it really feels like I could've airdodged waay sooner and the banana doesn't even drop (because when it could drop it'd be too late and I rather do something else then most of the time). -_-
So if it only works later than the airdodge, dropping the banana while airdodging would be even better...

EDIT:
You can drop the banana even earlier if you airdodge-drop it instead of holding shield and mashing A.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Situation: Left edge of SV have grab released snake from his up b so he is below the edge. Snake is at 50%ish and begins to recover high. How do I gimp him? Or should I just start pulling out bananas?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
its only 500 points u can download whatever u want with wiipoints anyway for free. yay hacking and external hds

tibs7

Smash Champion
lol vyse

soooo please help me for falco, his side B is so broken + lasers.
his spotdodge, cg are such ****.
please tell me how to beat him :[

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
lol vyse

soooo please help me for falco, his side B is so broken + lasers.
his spotdodge, cg are such ****.
please tell me how to beat him :[
I'm assuming this means that someone is camping you with lazers, using side b to run away, and obviously the CG to go for t spike or the gatling combo, correct?
Thers a couple ways to fight against this, first of all, if he's using side B to run, then just be prepared for it. Throw a banana on the floor in front of the falco, slowly approach with jumps (crawling if he's short hopping the lazers) and use peanuts to start antagonizing him. try to bait the side B, and when he does it, be ready to shield it and throw the banana behind you to hit him when he lands. From there, banana combos. For his chaingrab just DI away from the grab and at least after you've reached 50% or whatever, it won't be followed by a spike. YOU GOTTA HAVE YOUR BANANAS OUT AND READY. When you finally get the banana game working out, he's probably gonna start throwing out his reflector to throw you off. run up to him with a banana in your hand, wait till he does the reflector, and before the reflector makes it back to him, do YOUR side B with the kick or the diddy hump to punish him.

As far as the spotdodge INTO the cg, thats just because you are being to predictable, run up to him like you're going to attack, and when he spot dodges, wait until the dodge is done and hit him with a banana/smash/grab.

There are TONS of ways to get around some of this stuff, but this should get you started. Just be creative and don't be predicable, brawl is a thinking game, so if camping is beating you, then you need to slow down a little, do some defense, and set a trap.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Thanks alot it true I need to slow things down, it's more of he's predictable as balls but I can never punish him with anything. And when I'm off stage it is unbelievably easy do falco to kill us. But yeah I lose if I get gimped, win pretty much all the time I don't, kinda like vs mk :s

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Situation: Left edge of SV have grab released snake from his up b so he is below the edge. Snake is at 50%ish and begins to recover high. How do I gimp him? Or should I just start pulling out bananas?
I'm pretty sure you can get off the edge after Snake, spam jump button (right above him), and you will footstool him as he does his C4 recovery.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
That was my problem...
I KNEW when he'd reflector or side B but always got hit by it or didn't punish.....
The point behind the lazer spam is aggro. After getting hit with 20 lazers you get pissed off and start being more aggresive, when he sees you jumping through the air as aggresively as possible, then all he has to do is side b and now you guys just switched spots. USE YOUR SHIELD. Block the lazers and his sideB and you should be fine. If you can predict him, and you KNOW he's gonna do something, then the only explanation for not punishing is you didn't consider how to. On a side note, if you get behind falco when he reflector spams (i'm assuming the lazer spamming sideB running away guy isn't professional level) then it's essentially a free grab. If you have your bananas over there, then do a banana lock to the edge into a Fsmash or Dsmash.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
You just hit the opponent with a Banana.

Another may or may not be nearby.

What do you do? How do YOU follow up a Banana trip? What is your favorite/most used/most reliable combo after you've successfully tripped someone?

The character in this instance doesn't really matter, unless you actually do want to talk about your followups on certain characters.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. After scanning the Diddy threads I've noticed a lack of stage discussion. Am I merely missing the threads, or is there none strictly about in depth stage discussion? If thats the case, I 'm going to go ahead and start the thread for it, but I didn't want to spend the time making it if it's already somewhere else.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
As far as I know, no such thread/discussion exists.. and if it does it's outdated as fuuck so I see no reason not to.. picking stages for diddy is pretty straightforward for the most part though

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Yes you are right, but I am a great enforcer of 'gungho preparedness.' Although FD, Smashville, and BF are all pretty safe choices, it's always nice to know everything you can about these stages, because taking someone to some of the neutrals isn't always as safe as it may seem. I'm gonna go ahead, and if it dies, then they can't say there wasn't an attempt.

TreK

Is "that guy"
There's quite a lot of advices in personnal threads like AZ's 100 tricksies thread or P1's one though. It taught me quite a lot.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
If you can actually get people to post in your Stage thread, I'll add it to the Kongpendium.

Until then, meh question went unseen ;_; What are your guys' favorite things to do after you've tripped someone with a Banana (a certain combo/followup, I mean)?

Player-1

Smash Legend
0-40, Fsmash/tilt/grab/dash attack
40-90, grab + dash attacks
90+, smash.

just generally, I don't actually follow that specifically, because i do things naturally, but close to that. And it's character dependent

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
0-40, Fsmash/tilt/grab/dash attack
Okay, this is something else I've been meaning to ask about, something that might spark actually meaningful discussion:

What is your (whoever is reading this post) opinion on using F-Smash at low percents versus high percents? Lately I've been playing people who know how to SDI out of F-Smash's first hit at higher percents, making it less reliable as a kill move. I started to use it to rack damage, but I was afraid that was a bad idea because it stales it for when I want to use it to kill.

So, I now have a new question:
- Do you use F-Smash early, to rack damage, or
- Do you save F-Smash so it will be fresh as a kill move?

Very early on in Brawl's metagame, I saw a video recommending you use either Diddy's F-Smash or D-Smash to rack damage, and the other to kill. Lately, however, I've been told (and my own experience has shown me) that using D-Smash as a damage racker is a bad decision because it does stale it, and it is usually seen as being more reliable at killing than F-Smash. Feel free to contradict me here if you think otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom