• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Yea what about down b on slopes, when can you jab cancel, Frame data for Egg lay cancel etc. etc.?

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Yea what about down b on slopes, when can you jab cancel, Frame data for Egg lay cancel etc. etc.?
I don't see why the frame data for down-B would be any different on slopes. For jab canceling, I'm not sure if the frame data's the same as a normal jab. For egg lay cancel, you get a 30-frame advantage to do anything.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Do you mean when you fall off the slope and the DownB is canceled? Thats totally dependant on the height from which you DownB from and the length and steepness of the slope. The closer you are to the ground the further you will slide along a slope.
A DownB on a slope that you don't fall off of and thus doesn't get canceled is exactly the same as one not on a slope.

Frame data on the first part of the Jab would be useful to see how quickly after you can perform something else, it also depends on the startup of the other move though.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I always try to down b high, maybe that's why. Thanks, but i mean the frames for when you CAN do the cancel of the egg lay.

bigman40

Smash Master
I always try to down b high, maybe that's why. Thanks, but i mean the frames for when you CAN do the cancel of the egg lay.
I don't really have it listed, but you normally have 30 frames to react before the opponent regains control. the timeout is 1 frame after the grab is done (and ironically when it's starting to go retreat to his mouth again)

....Zuzuzu.....

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok i need someone to help me with the oli MU.... i've heard it's not that bad at all, and oli's without the MU exp are afraid of yoshi.... but i don't know what the hell to do against them onstage... T_T

can someone wifail me with oli sometime and give me some pointers on the MU?

King KROOL

Smash Rookie
Well from what I have seen / experienced Peach can just bair anything Yoshi tries to do other than egg throw. But she can camp as well with turnips. And those turnips can be used to glide-toss to grab then throw into the air for combo city.

Edit: Also what characters can you CG through f-throw and b-throw. I know you can CG Diddy through b-throw and supposedly falco through f-throw? Any others?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well from what I have seen / experienced Peach can just bair anything Yoshi tries to do other than egg throw. But she can camp as well with turnips. And those turnips can be used to glide-toss to grab then throw into the air for combo city.

Edit: Also what characters can you CG through f-throw and b-throw. I know you can CG Diddy through b-throw and supposedly falco through f-throw? Any others?
I believe the Diddy bthrow CG was never proven to work. From my experience, it doesn't. Not sure about Falco.

French computers are weird so screw colors.

King KROOL

Smash Rookie
I got the diddy cg to work yesterday. I did it until about 32 then I grab released to upsmash it was a pretty nice percent builder.

But in all seriousness. How do you recommend fighting peach. I don't think there is anyway that match-up is even 40-60. I would say more 30-70. I couldn't do ANYTHING. Just ground float b-airs or n-airs stop anything I could do in the air. D-airs trap you so one combo on you equals 50% and then I kept getting hit with u-smash as I recovered. I have no idea how to fight that match-up. I would prefer to fight metaknight.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I got the diddy cg to work yesterday. I did it until about 32 then I grab released to upsmash it was a pretty nice percent builder.

But in all seriousness. How do you recommend fighting peach. I don't think there is anyway that match-up is even 40-60. I would say more 30-70. I couldn't do ANYTHING. Just ground float b-airs or n-airs stop anything I could do in the air. D-airs trap you so one combo on you equals 50% and then I kept getting hit with u-smash as I recovered. I have no idea how to fight that match-up. I would prefer to fight metaknight.
Nair does not have enough range to be a threat aside from OoS. Why are you approaching a floating peach? Her Bair or Fair will **** you. Camp her if she's floating. You can SDI out of Dair and if you're consistently getting hit by up smash then you're being way too predictable with your recovery.

Depster

Smash Champion
Just throw eggs above her and they can't approach because you can just pivot grab the predictable dash attack.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Just throw eggs above her and they can't approach because you can just pivot grab the predictable dash attack.
Except that we can glide toss a turnip at you.

We all know Yoshi has a grab release chain, right? I'm assuming that this relies on dash grabbing at the right times. Am I right? Also, is there a list of who you can do it on? I know we can on Wario, MK and ZSS, but I'm fairly sure there are others.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
We all know Yoshi has a grab release chain, right? I'm assuming that this relies on dash grabbing at the right times. Am I right? Also, is there a list of who you can do it on? I know we can on Wario, MK and ZSS, but I'm fairly sure there are others.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178435

Some of the offstage-release stuff is outdated, but the last page (or maybe last couple pages for those who don't have 40 posts/page) has frame-data-verified info.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
How do I beat Yoshi on Distant Planet? They always CP it against me and I don't know what to do -_-. Any character/strategy suggestions?

washy

Smash Apprentice
Has this been done already?

I was knocked off BF and falling back towards the ledge. As i did a shiek hopped over to fair me but i b specialed him. I didn't swallow her and lay an egg though, she only got sucked in front of me so i its like i egg layed canceled.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
This is known. It only happened because you caught Shiek with the very tip of Yoshi's tongue. The spacing required for this to happen is extremely precice, so it's impractical to replicate in battle. If it does happen, follow-ups will have to be based on reaction, as it's almost never done intentionally. Since you were off-stage in your example, I believe a footstool would have been possible, but don't quote me on that. If not, Nair would work fine. If this happens on-stage, Yoshi has a large frame advantage IIRC, and may even be able to fit in an Fsmash if he reacts properly. No matter what though, take advantage of the unexpected nature of this, because it will most likely confuse the hell out of your opponent.

:005:

King KROOL

Smash Rookie
Are there any real practical uses for egg roll?

And when are the opportune times for egg lay?

I really don't use egg lay at all, but I feel as though I am one of the only Yoshi players that doesn't....

Metatitan

Smash Master
Are there any real practical uses for egg roll?

And when are the opportune times for egg lay?

I really don't use egg lay at all, but I feel as though I am one of the only Yoshi players that doesn't....
Egg roll has no practical use. It's either a button misclick or you do it to throw them off. Learn to use egg lay, it's probably one of your best three attacks. A lot of yoshies don't use it simply because they don't know how to.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Or some like me use it even tho they don't know how to because they know it's still amazing <3

unless you're playing bbrawl, do not use egg roll
Even when you hit (lol luck) there's no follow up XD

UberMario

Smash Master
I have a question for you guys:

Has anyone else noticed that if Yoshi jabs into a dash attack back into a jab over an over again it's almost impossible to DI out of at low percentages? (I've gotten quite a few people into 50% chains on FD using this tactic)

I'm just asking if this is used my Yoshi mainers already.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Maybe a double jab will lead into dash attack, but single jabs won't work and it's actually quite easy to DI.

Dash attack to dash attack, however, is another story. :D

D

Deleted member

Lol, i almost never use dash attack, unless someone predicts a grab and i wait a second and then i dash attack instead of grab to beat the spotdodge, because grabs wont grab lots of times when they are right inside you (like melee yoshi but not as bad).

D

Deleted member

What are you talking about?
It outprioritizes in terms of start up lag? what does that mean.
It has more startup lag?

UberMario

Smash Master
What are you talking about?
It outprioritizes in terms of start up lag? what does that mean.
It has more startup lag?
What I meant is that it has less startup lag, not more.
The dash attack comes out relatively quick in comparison with most attacks of it's knockback range.

D

Deleted member

So? Its only usable imo because for some people, running grab is the main option used out of a run, so it can be used to punish stuff that would normally beat that.
Firstly, its yoshis easiest move to punish out of shield, baddddd after lag, plus it doesnt push shields at all.
Second, its range is limited.
The main thing its good at is punishing, and running grab is better imo almost always. Firstly, against half the cast, we get some guarenteed option out of a grab, and even if we dont, we can read their move after the release for more damage.
Also, jab attack refreshes moves :D So we get like 1-4 refreshes per grab, which is good. And yoshis throws put the opponents in bad positions, like dthrow chases, setting up for edgeguards (maybe lol).

auroreon

Smash Ace
I have a question for you guys:

Has anyone else noticed that if Yoshi jabs into a dash attack back into a jab over an over again it's almost impossible to DI out of at low percentages? (I've gotten quite a few people into 50% chains on FD using this tactic)

I'm just asking if this is used my Yoshi mainers already.
I know what you mean but theres a reason you don't see Yoshi mains use it, against good players it just doesn't work at all. They can shield or spotdodge and deffinatly have enough time to respond, you get punished for it badly.
I completely agree with what Sockz is saying, dash attack is rarely the best option in any situation. DT > Dtilt/Jab/Ftilt ect. is a better option in nearly all situations where you could get away with a dash attack.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I believe Jab > DA > jab > DA >... is a WiFi Combo only. Offline it is very easily escapable.

Auro, I started laughing when you mentioned DT > Dtilt. Made me remember playing Big on WiFi. Good times...

SOVAman

Smash Hero
if you land a Bair at pretty low percentage on the edge and knock you opponent off it is a free Fsmash. Most of the time.

bigman40

Smash Master
I'm not listing them all out, I'm just gonna give you the general numbers.

FF Nair combos at low percents (namely before you get the opponent to 30%+)

• Nair is risky, but if you land it, then you can possibly deal 30+ dmg on opponents from it (which sets them up for the Bair combos).
Bair starts to combo around 50% and stops comboing around 120%.

• Near the later half of Bair's combo range, you can combo into a Fsmash. (Doesn't need to be over the edge. Can be done anywhere.)
  • The beginning of when Bair can combo is decent, but doesn't setup for amazing damage (might be wrong since I haven't tried a lot of options yet).
  • When you past the range of when Bair can combo, you can possibly chase to kill.
I haven't tried any Uair combos yet. I might edit this post with some thoughts on it, and we know about Dair already.

Also, Yoshi has some grounded combos that surprisingly link together. I might add them in if I feel like it.

Sharky

Smash Master
I know what you mean but theres a reason you don't see Yoshi mains use it, against good players it just doesn't work at all. They can shield or spotdodge and deffinatly have enough time to respond, you get punished for it badly.
I completely agree with what Sockz is saying, dash attack is rarely the best option in any situation. DT > Dtilt/Jab/Ftilt ect. is a better option in nearly all situations where you could get away with a dash attack.
You can take advantage of the invincible part of Yoshi's head to cancel out just about any non-laser attack, and follow that up with a quick jab. Try doing that with a DT'd dtilt =P

bigman40

Smash Master
Actually, Dash attack is best used when your opponent is practically next to the ledge. So when you dash attack him, your intention should be to hit the shield and have the push back force you off the stage, allowing you to make another attack.

.....Zuzuzu......

Top Bottom