• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Y05H!

Smash Cadet
New guy here. Just out of curiosity, why do so many players use Yoshi's running grab? To me it just doesn't seem worth the risk since his throws just don't seem that damaging, unless theres something i dont know.

I concur with bg40 on the dash attack and ledges.

Sharky

Smash Master
1. Yoshi's standing/shield grabs are crap.
2. With practice, it's actually a pretty good grab, and although the throws may not deal great damage, they make for good set-ups
3. Yoshi has a chaingrab involving chewing the opponent until he breaks out, and repeating the dash grab. There is a good size entry on this in "How to Hatch A Healthy Yoshi", another stickied thread. I highly suggest you read it.

auroreon

Smash Ace
You can take advantage of the invincible part of Yoshi's head to cancel out just about any non-laser attack, and follow that up with a quick jab. Try doing that with a DT'd dtilt =P
Fair point, but for the last time... you cannot follow up a dash attack with a jab, the only reason it would work is if you opponant is inexperienced. I highly advise not getting into the habbit of following dash attacks up with a jab, you will get punished.

Actually, Dash attack is best used when your opponent is practically next to the ledge. So when you dash attack him, your intention should be to hit the shield and have the push back force you off the stage, allowing you to make another attack.

.....Zuzuzu......
Completely agree, this is deffinatly the best use for Dash attack.

New guy here. Just out of curiosity, why do so many players use Yoshi's running grab? To me it just doesn't seem worth the risk since his throws just don't seem that damaging, unless theres something i dont know.

I concur with bg40 on the dash attack and ledges.
You bring up a good point. Dash grab is very useful for Yoshi with his grab game and lack of a competant standard grab. But you hit the nail on the head with Yoshi players using it too much, it is a very risky move as it will almost always get you punished if you don't hit.
One of my biggest annoyances with watching Yoshi videos is how often they will randomly run in with a dash grab, it may work that time but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.
The opponant can punish it and if they are good then they almost always will, my advise is to never put yourself at that risk by dash grabbing when its not safe.

The most obvious use for the dash grab is straight after an egg, short-throw an egg at an approaching opponant and instantly punish the shield/spotdodge/hit with the dash grab. Its an increibly effective trick from my experience.
Of course the dash grab is useful in other situations, just ensure you use it wisely as it is certainly one of the more risky moves.

Sharky

Smash Master
Fair point, but for the last time... you cannot follow up a dash attack with a jab, the only reason it would work is if you opponant is inexperienced. I highly advise not getting into the habbit of following dash attacks up with a jab, you will get punished.

You misunderstand me. When the two attacks cancel out, both of you will be standing still next to each other in a neutral stance. As jab is your fastest attack, it would be the obvious best choice. I'm not posing it as a combo, rather as first move in a reset situation.

auroreon

Smash Ace
You misunderstand me. When the two attacks cancel out, both of you will be standing still next to each other in a neutral stance. As jab is your fastest attack, it would be the obvious best choice. I'm not posing it as a combo, rather as first move in a reset situation.
Oh I see, that makes a lot more sense.
Actually seeing as they are also likely to use their fastest move you could spotdodge and punish, but then you run the risk of them predicting the spotdodge and punishing.

Sharky

Smash Master
Yeah, it's one of those situations where it could go either way depending on what happens, but I might be tempted to say you have the advantage because you see it coming beforehand. It's not much, and if the opponent's ready for it it isn't anything, but that's my piece, anyway.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I am sorry if you answered this before (reading 24 pages of posts is not efficient). I want to ask. Are there any offensive options out of shield for Yoshi? Do you have to dodge to reduce Ouf of Shield lag and be able to do something as a counterattack?

Another question.. Based on your experience.. can a Yoshi Bomb connect completely after a close dodge?
That's the move I have more problems getting it to be useful in combat.. (yes, becuase I've become quite proficient in dealing damage with Egg roll).

Another one.. Does Yoshi have super armor on his Fsmash at some point?

Last one. What are the best options for punishing after a successful Egg Lay?

bigman40

Smash Master
I am sorry if you answered this before (reading 24 pages of posts is not efficient). I want to ask. Are there any offensive options out of shield for Yoshi? Do you have to dodge to reduce Ouf of Shield lag and be able to do something as a counterattack?

Another question.. Based on your experience.. can a Yoshi Bomb connect completely after a close dodge?
That's the move I have more problems getting it to be useful in combat.. (yes, becuase I've become quite proficient in dealing damage with Egg roll).

Another one.. Does Yoshi have super armor on his Fsmash at some point?

Last one. What are the best options for punishing after a successful Egg Lay?
1. Most of the time, Jabs are done after spotdoding an attack. You can possibly do other attacks depending on how much lag it has on it.

2. Yes, but only if you can time it to where you can hit them before they have time to get into their shield again. I tend to time it too late so I don't use it.

3. He has a little bit of invincible frames in his head during the time the hitbox is out.

4. I'm not a big user on egglay (hopefully, I can change that some). You'll have to get answers from other people that use the move a lot more than me. The only real tip I can give you is to try to force an airdodge and punish that.

Depster

Smash Champion
Uair the person in the egg immediately after laying them is what I do after an egg lay, and that will connect about 90% of the time I'd say. You could probably also charge a Usmash underneath people with bad aerial speed and connect.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Remember, your attacks do half damage to those trapped in eggs and still degenerate.

I only suggest attacking eggs with high power moves if you're near the beginning of their stock.

UberMario

Smash Master
When you sidestep out of a shield, is that considered a shield cancel? (Referring to how the slow animation of breaking out of the egg is cancelled during the sidestep's invincibility resulting in less vulnerability)

King KROOL

Smash Rookie
The best use of egg lay I have found thus far is when I'm coming back onto the stage. So I will use my double jump then on the way past the ledge do a egg lay which gets my opponent quite often. But you have to be inconsistent with your recovery choices or you will get punished.

Is Yoshi capable of Jab-locking? I often try but I guess don't move quick enough? The reason I ask is because on Pokemon Stadium 1 after a grab release where they land on one of the platforms a running up-smash will push them off into the position where jab-locks typically work. Otherwise f-smash is a solid option.

And I'm sure this is known and it doesn't matter because the stage is banned but I find Yoshi's infinite grab release on meta knight to the right of the wing on Corneria hilarious.

Airborne

Smash Lord
:yoshi: Remember, your attacks do half damage to those trapped in eggs and still degenerate.

I only suggest attacking eggs with high power moves if you're near the beginning of their stock.
i personally prefer trying to predict them as they pop out.... once you find out how they react, it being aerial or dodging, you can dair their dodge or just egg lay them again, if they have a crazy vertical airspeed (b/c the have a very little hop out of egg, giving them very little time to react =O)

Bwett

Smash Ace
The best option from egglay is to predict how they pop out and punish with an egg. Any other choice is risky because of their invincibility frames when they pop out. Someone that is used to Yoshi knows this and will punish you if you try anything else.

When it comes to getting out of your shield, spotdodge is an extremely useful tool. If I remember correctly, dropping shield takes 16 frames of vulnerability. However, a spotdodge takes 22 frames with 3 frames of vulnerability. If you want to punish something extremely laggy, your best bet is to drop shield. In general, though, the best option is to spotdodge to get out of shield.

King KROOL

Smash Rookie
Can Yoshi infinite grab release everyone next to the tree on Pokemon Stadium 1? It has worked on everyone I have tried it on but that isn't too many characters.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Hi all. Just visiting with a present for everybody. Man... I needa visit this place some more... i play with Yoshi a few times too.

Anywayz, cutting to the chase:

I was wondering if you guys could make use of this new AT with pikachu? I'm teaming with my bro (arc-thefallen-, plays Toon Link and Captain Falcon) and am going to advance the technique. Here's the original post AND video! ^_^ enjoy!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8104088&postcount=14

Cool thing about this move is that it allows a INSTANTANEOUS NON-FASTFALLED d-air right in the middle of it. Works for those with laggy (but epic) spike-moves with high fastfall risk.

Thanks for the time. Hope you like and laugh. Please pm me if you have any neat contributions or comments--i'd appreciate that. :D

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL! I thoroughly enjoyed that. :D

It's a shame I don't team with PikaPika! anymore. This would have made our team that much better, although we did some pretty homo stuff already. :D

Y05H!

Smash Cadet
:yoshi: LOL! I thoroughly enjoyed that. :D

It's a shame I don't team with PikaPika! anymore. This would have made our team that much better, although we did some pretty homo stuff already. :D
o_O

Anyways....

That's some pretty neat **** you got there. I got a friend that pika's, I'll have to show him this.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Me.

I can't say for sure. I'd say in New Jersey it's Pride, since everyone I played with was saying I was the new Pride or whatnot.

I'd say Bwett is probably most known in general. Either him or Green Ace. Nobody kill me if I'm wrong. =[

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't believe Yoshi has any attack that really consistently trips the opponent. I believe Dair will trip the most out of Yoshi's attacks. Follow ups pretty much depend on when you land the dair. If you land it early and don't cancel it, I think a smash may work if they're tripped, but I'm not sure. Otherwise a nair/uair can work, but I don't believe they're guaranteed after 100%. @_@

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL I just realized that.

All of the good characters have moves that trip on a fairly consistent basis.

LOL

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Falco and Snake? Wait, Falco has the reflector and Snake has the first ftilt hit, I think. MK has dtilt... Diddy has naners. DDD has dtilt too, at low percents I think.

Tripping is too good. @_@

bigman40

Smash Master
I don't believe Yoshi has any attack that really consistently trips the opponent. I believe Dair will trip the most out of Yoshi's attacks. Follow ups pretty much depend on when you land the dair. If you land it early and don't cancel it, I think a smash may work if they're tripped, but I'm not sure. Otherwise a nair/uair can work, but it is not guaranteed after 100%. @_@
Fixed for ya.

....Zuzuzu....

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
Hello, I am going to be lazy and not search through this thread to see if this has already been mentioned so sorry in advance if that is the case....

I was playing around in training mode on final d and I noticed something interesting that yoshi can do. I was running around throwing eggs this way and that. So I then decided I was going to run then crouch before throwing an egg... after awhile of doing this I happened to do this as I was going over the edge and I was very surprised by what happened. If timed right as you run up to the edge, crouch, then egg throw; Yoshi will pull out an egg and immediately grab the edge, faster than yoshi would normally grab an edge. It is kind of like with Mario when you cape towards the ledge as you run off of it he will grab it really quickly.

I don't know if there is a real use for this other than a mind-game / race to the edge type of thing. But it was interesting nonetheless....

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Hey new Yoshi here and i was wondering, does nair combo into anything? I've done some stuff with it that seems inescapable but it was wifi so i can't really tell lol

.Marik

is a social misfit
Hey new Yoshi here and i was wondering, does nair combo into anything? I've done some stuff with it that seems inescapable but it was wifi so i can't really tell lol
It probably only worked because it was Wi-Fi.

It depends on whether you do a rising Nair, it could lead into an Uair/Fair or something.

Also, welcome. :D

Top Bottom