• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

-Soldier-

Smash Rookie
Yoshi's not perfect, but he's not bad, either.

He does have an unique moveset and playstyle, so Yoshi is a bit harder to master. Also because he has a horrible shield. I'd rather get shield-poked, in place of having viable OoS options.

But still, I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi was made Mid Tier.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I personally feel like Yoshi has the potential to be mid tier, but he's not quite there. I really, really feel a lot of potential with the character. I feel like no matter the situation, I have the options necessary to beat it, but I always mess up either because I messed up something technically (spacing or reaction speed) or I didn't utilize my best option. When I play low tier characters, I just feel like I had no option but had to take combo or take a hit. I rarely ever feel like that with Yoshi. I see tons of potential in him which is why I picked him up. I pick up characters who nobody really uses, that combo well & are fun to use, and that aren't that popular, and most importantly a character I feel like I can compete with. I would not pick a character knowing I can't win, to be honest. Good thing I don't feel like that with Yoshi at all. Just how I have the most fun playing this game.

I just need time because his learning curve is pretty **** high, which IMO makes him appear worse than he is. He is amazing by no means, but I think he's got potential to be an average character that has answers to most of the situations/matchups in the game. And that's all you really need to feel confident enterting a tournament with the character =)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Expanding on what Edrees said, we must all enter tournaments with confidence in our abilities with Yoshi. The #1 most important thing to have in this game is a good mindset. If you don't believe you can win, then you won't. This concept applies greatly to Yoshi since he has a lot of disadvantaged match-ups in the high tiers. Will you always come out victorious? No, Yoshi isn't good enough to be capable of that, that's why we have tiers. However, it is possible to win a tournament with him since he has no match-up worse than 30:70, which can't be said for quite a few other characters, even tournament viable ones. You just need to remain positive and not give up on him (using secondaries is fine). That's my take on it, anyways. :)

auroreon

Smash Ace
I personally feel like Yoshi has the potential to be mid tier, but he's not quite there. I really, really feel a lot of potential with the character. I feel like no matter the situation, I have the options necessary to beat it, but I always mess up either because I messed up something technically (spacing or reaction speed) or I didn't utilize my best option. When I play low tier characters, I just feel like I had no option but had to take combo or take a hit. I rarely ever feel like that with Yoshi. I see tons of potential in him which is why I picked him up. I pick up characters who nobody really uses, that combo well & are fun to use, and that aren't that popular, and most importantly a character I feel like I can compete with. I would not pick a character knowing I can't win, to be honest. Good thing I don't feel like that with Yoshi at all. Just how I have the most fun playing this game.

I just need time because his learning curve is pretty **** high, which IMO makes him appear worse than he is. He is amazing by no means, but I think he's got potential to be an average character that has answers to most of the situations/matchups in the game. And that's all you really need to feel confident enterting a tournament with the character =)
Finally someone who feels the same way, nice to see some optimisim. I've never seriously picked up another character to use in tournaments so I can't really compare with other characters, but this is similar to the way I feel when I play.
In almost every match I've ever played I can feel that I could have won, I know that in each situation I had the options available to me to succeed and that failure could have been avoided.
The few matches where I have felt that I simply didn't have the oppertunities open to me to enable a win were against the UKs best player who mains Marth.

IMHO I think Yoshi is capable of being lower-mid tier. But unfortuantly I also feel that this will never be the case.

EDIT: In responce to Polt... I think you are completely correct.
The fastest path to loss is to blame your failings on your character. Its important to not feel at a disadvantage, even when you are at one.
I will certainly do all I can to represent Yoshi over here in europe and bring in tourney results.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I agree on the notion regarding mentality playing a part in your success.

For example, I hate the Ike matchup. I think it's completely unwinnable and, statistically at least, it is. However, everytime I play San, our resident beast with Ike and probably one of the best, if I go in with the "I'ma f*ck this b*tch up" attitude, I can actually win and do some pretty cool stuff during the match. If I go in with a losing attitude, however, like whenever I fight a Link (a worse match than Ike, which is pretty bad), then I usually end up losing pretty terribly.

Your mentality and outlook on the game has a lot to do with how successful you are and goes beyond characters and matchups. This is coming from almost seven years of fighting game experience and it has served me well. I know when to be more confident than I usually am and I have also learned how to notice when my morale is low and to boost it if that is having an impact on how I'm playing.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I know when to be more confident than I usually am and I have also learned how to notice when my morale is low and to boost it if that is having an impact on how I'm playing.
Thats such a valuable trait, beng able to pick yourself up when your down. I've been working on it recently. I think a lot of losses can be attributed to the players mood.

On to my point. Has DJC-Item Tossing been covered on these boards? I feel it can be a good alternative to DACIT.
I'm not sure much has really been said about it, but I can bring it up in the research thread which I'm updating soon. I'm really used to DRing so I use this loads against characters who spawn items esspecially Diddy, its invaluable in that matchup.
I may be wrong but I think the timing is more forgiving than a DR as well.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I'm not sure much has really been said about it, but I can bring it up in the research thread which I'm updating soon. I'm really used to DRing so I use this loads against characters who spawn items esspecially Diddy, its invaluable in that matchup.
I may be wrong but I think the timing is more forgiving than a DR as well.
I mentioned it because last night, I was fooling around with DACIT and DJC Egg Lay, and I tried to see if DJC an item toss (banana basically) would work. I think it works out fantastic, especially if you use both DACIT and DJCIT.

Yeah the timing is definitely more forgiving than DR.

Frown

poekmon
I've just decided to play this game again. What Yoshi news have I missed in the past 6 months that I haven't played?
Well, then you probably know about the grab release and DR... Yoshi went down on the latest tier list... People have created awesome looking Yoshi skins... Mmac has left this site...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Good question.

Against Snake, you want to stay out of forward tilt range horizontally. If you're just out of forward tilt range, however, you need to be ready to deal with dash attack and random running up spotdodge approaches. Vertically, you need to be out of up tilt range, but even higher; you need to be out of short hop up air range because any mistakes below that range (airdodges, bad aerials, etc.) can be punished easily and harshly.

Offstage, you want to be well out of double jump back aerial reach if you're behind Snake. If you're in front of Snake, make sure to drift out of neutral air range.

Against Marth, you want to be out of short hop approaching forward air range. I say "approaching" because if you're just out of regular forward air range, when a Marth short hops at you and kinda drifts over to you softly, that extra range really makes an impact and taking any avoidable forward airs is a mistake not worth making. Vertically, it's hard to tell. Especially since Marth doesn't punish airdodges too brutally when he's also in the air himself, I want to say "don't worry about it," but that would be a cop out answer.

Offstage, spacing against his back air is tough for me; for some reason I always underestimate the back air tip range and eat it pretty bad when I'm behind him. If you're in front of him, not too much to worry about but make sure you don't get surprised with Dolphin Slash.

Chaco

Never Logs In
We went up 1.

Beats going down.

*passes out Taco Bell*

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's not like we could have gone down anyways. It was either stay where we were or go up.

I'm glad Yoshi went up, but I believe we can still do better. (He should currently be where Lucas is, in my opinion)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh, Meta. What're your thoughts on DJC Item Tossing? I used it on you as ZSS some, keep on mind I messed up a lot. That and you just picked up ZSS.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Oh, Meta. What're your thoughts on DJC Item Tossing? I used it on you as ZSS some, keep on mind I messed up a lot. That and you just picked up ZSS.
DJC Item Tossing is good, it really helps against characters like diddy and zamus. Note that you totally used it wrong against me but think of it as a DJC egg lay, only you are throwing the item instead.

Top Bottom