• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
I remember reading a few months ago that dthrow should be used over uthrow, despite doing 1% less damage, because it has more hitstun. Can anyone, with their frame-data-gathering ways, verify this?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm trying to practice Yoshi's pivot grab so I can do it with 100% accuracy..well..I never had to practice pivot grabs with any character, but for some stupid reason with yoshi I will randomly roll while trying to pivot grab. Is there some kind of reason for this??? I am only pressing Z. So I don't understand what's causing me to roll.

I can do it like 95% of the time but sometimes a roll will bust out. I just want to see if anyone knows why so i can correct it :) Thanks

auroreon

Smash Ace
I'm trying to practice Yoshi's pivot grab so I can do it with 100% accuracy..well..I never had to practice pivot grabs with any character, but for some stupid reason with yoshi I will randomly roll while trying to pivot grab. Is there some kind of reason for this??? I am only pressing Z. So I don't understand what's causing me to roll.

I can do it like 95% of the time but sometimes a roll will bust out. I just want to see if anyone knows why so i can correct it :) Thanks
This also happens to me, Im not sure what the cause is but it could be that you are holding down the button too long or that you are doing it too fast. The input doesn't have to be that quick unless you want the sliding pivot grab, in which case its a matter of learning the timing.
Are you using Z to grab? Because apparently R + A is more reliable... but I don't like R + A.

bigman40

Smash Master
The C-stick can do the same thing if you time it right, and you can do it alot faster. You basically need to just push Z + tap the C-stick in opposite direction you're running.

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman

I'm pretty sure you roll because you're not running before you try a pivot grab. Since you're not running, you can't actually pivot which causes the grab button to enter its secondary phase, which is shield. I'm not sure why it shields instead of grabs, but that's what I've been noticing. So yea, just make sure you run first.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Ah..thanks guys. I might end up re mapping my controls and changing grab to X, I just hate the z button. Was able to avoid pivot grabbing with other characters, but its necessary with Yoshi so I'll probably change my controls.

bigman40

Smash Master
Ah..thanks guys. I might end up re mapping my controls and changing grab to X, I just hate the z button. Was able to avoid pivot grabbing with other characters, but its necessary with Yoshi so I'll probably change my controls.
Which reminds me. Didn't you quit brawl? And if you didn't, got a sudden interest in Yoshi? :)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I was playing Yoshi a lot in friendlies ( I did quit tournies because of time and I got bored) but I'm considering making a return using him because he is just that fun. I'm having a blast and playing really well with him :) Yoshi has always been one of my secondaries. I like the physics of his 2nd jump it's just like Ness. Furbs is giving my pointers and I've been watching Bwett videos and stuff, hehe.

Also Yoshi is probably the most under rated character in the game =/

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Airborne, we HAVE to meet and play sometime, I really want to test my Yoshi with some others to see if I can start being cocky or not. :grin:

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Sadly.....GA T_T no other Yoshi lives here.....
Well if you ever get desperate and want to travel, the Midwest (Ohio especially) have been having tournaments pretty much every weekend. And over the summer M2K is (probably) moving to Ohio, and we're planning on having a 6 tournament circuit event around the Midwest area (mostly Michigan and Ohio) during the summer months. I know its a hellishly long drive, but if you ever get bored, I'm sure I could hook you up with a place to stay for however long. If you want, I'll keep you posted.

If anyone else is interested too, let me know.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Yea I suffered from that problem when I first picked up Yoshi seriously, its also useful to learn the timing for reverse dash grab (does it have a name?) where you start like a pivot grab but instead of pivot grabbing, you turn around and dash grab. A nice way of catching out people when they try to roll or move away from the pivot grab.
Also, sliding pivot grab is really nice, the timing is a faster.

D

Deleted member

Edrees, come down to SD so we can ditto, and maybe i can help you out if u want.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Do I play pokemon? Quite a bit of time ago I did. I bought Diamond, but never played it much. Not my thing, lol.

I'm surprised I've stayed interested in Smash at all.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I've finally managed to find a local Brawl tournament in my area, so it looks like I'll be attending my first tourney in about a week from now. I've read the guide to attending tournaments for the first time under Tactical Discussion a few times, and I've done enough ladder matches on AiB that I know how counterpicking works. I just wanted to know if any experienced Yoshi mainers have any specific advice for a Yoshi main attending their first tourney? Are there any character/stage combinations I should be mindful of, or maybe other tips that will make using a "low-tier character" go over more smoothly?

Also, even though I use Yoshi first and foremost, I can also use Ike fairly well. Does anybody here know him well enough to know when it would be a good time to switch over?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ^.^

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Firefly, what I've learned first hand is:
Get a good nights sleep the night before, it will make a difference.
Do not let MK or Zelda (or Lucario?) pick Luigi's Mansion, you won't like it. (I think there are other characters too, but those are the big ones.)
Do not let Ike pick Pirate Ship. Again, you won't like it.
Do not let Pikachu pick Norfair. I know it's a good Yoshi stage, but Pikachu can get much better control over it.
Make some new friends that you can play when there aren't tournaments going on. If you can train with people that normally beat you, your skill will rise rapidly.
There are douchebags that will spam you, plank you, and basically do anything to piss you off. If it happens and you end up losing, just laugh it off. (And make fun of the guy behind his back :chuckle:)
Just... have fun. A tournament can be a great time if you enjoy it. It can also be a terrible time if you let yourself get frustrated.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Do everything Nica said, but drink Dr. Pepper while there and eat at Taco Bell beforehand
Good luck strategies 101.

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I was messing around with DR when I noticed something. I searched the boards, admittedly hastily, but I couldn't find this thing anywhere, so if it's old, sorry, but here it is.

I remember a few months back seeing the Super Jump technique and thought, "Hey, that's pretty interesting, it could be useful." But when I went to try it out, I found that timing the double jump just before hitting the ground was pretty difficult. Well with my new desire to learn DR, I was messing around and decided to see what would happen if I tried an air dodge instead of an aerial. What I got was the 1st double jump part of the Super Jump. Instantly. Another double jump afterwards and, BAM, I'm at the top of the screen.
Since Yoshi's u-air is arguably his best KO move, this can make kills come a lot faster.

Depster

Smash Champion
Yeah I found that a few weeks ago, pretty neat, huh? I found it tried to do a DR shield slide thingy and it threw me up in the air instead. I think it makes the move much more situational since you don't really need to get the first hit to use it.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Deffinatly something that could be discussed in the Yoshi Research and Development thread...

/shamelesspromotion

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Firefly, what I've learned first hand is:
Get a good nights sleep the night before, it will make a difference.
Do not let MK or Zelda (or Lucario?) pick Luigi's Mansion, you won't like it. (I think there are other characters too, but those are the big ones.)
Do not let Ike pick Pirate Ship. Again, you won't like it.
Do not let Pikachu pick Norfair. I know it's a good Yoshi stage, but Pikachu can get much better control over it.
Make some new friends that you can play when there aren't tournaments going on. If you can train with people that normally beat you, your skill will rise rapidly.
There are douchebags that will spam you, plank you, and basically do anything to piss you off. If it happens and you end up losing, just laugh it off. (And make fun of the guy behind his back :chuckle:)
Just... have fun. A tournament can be a great time if you enjoy it. It can also be a terrible time if you let yourself get frustrated.
M'kay...I'll try to get some sleep, but it is a school night, so I don't know how well that will go over. I had a feeling Yoshi would have some bad matchups on Luigi's Mansion, so I have developed a habit of banning it. I really dislike the ceilings. Ike on Pirate Ship never occured to me, but it does make sense, and I will keep it in mind. Same thing with Pikachu, although it's a really good thing you warned me about this one, as I do frequently counterpick Norfair (and irritate people in the process >.<). I think it's banned at this tourney though, so I won't have to worry about that yet. The last three are kind of common sense, and I'm hoping I'll be able to follow through with that. I'm not all that outgoing, so making friends may take time, but I've got a good 7 hours, so I should have plenty of time. =] As for spam, I can deal with it. The only things that actually get to me, from my limited wi-fi experience, are wall infinites and maybe Ice Climbers' chain grab. I can hopefully avoid the former by not using Ike (my only experience with that it Game & Watch's Dtilt on PS1. Ewww...) and the latter by...using Ike? Apparently, he does pretty well against them, so I may whip him out if my Yoshi gets wrecked.

@ Chaco: Is Root Beer a reasonable replacement for Dr. Pepper? It kind of runs a monopoly on my soft drink preferences, and I don't see myself straying from that. It's all caffeine anyway, right? As for the Taco Bell, I'm pretty sure my ride dislikes their food, so that probably won't happen. =P

Well, I rambled a bit, but there was a lot of good stuff to respond to. Thanks!
:yoshi:

QueWhatHuh

Smash Cadet
Hi yoshi boards. I just started using yoshi within the last week. I don't know if I found something new with him [I havent seen it anywhere, maybe im looking in the wrong spot]. But if you dash towards the edge and throw an egg about | | from where you would fall off [seriously the space between the lines is the space i was doing it at] you throw an egg out off the stage, and automatically grab the edge. you can still use your 5 eggs for vertical movement afterwards. i'll have a video today after work.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Hi yoshi boards. I just started using yoshi within the last week. I don't know if I found something new with him [I havent seen it anywhere, maybe im looking in the wrong spot]. But if you dash towards the edge and throw an egg about | | from where you would fall off [seriously the space between the lines is the space i was doing it at] you throw an egg out off the stage, and automatically grab the edge. you can still use your 5 eggs for vertical movement afterwards. i'll have a video today after work.
welcome! it has been noticed before, but it's not necessarily used that much, even though we have footage of what it looks like. it's great for setting up a ledgeguard, but ehh.... i don't think you should waste time on making a video for it. thanks for trying to contribute, and by not making a new thread about it. i learned that back in like september XD

QueWhatHuh

Smash Cadet
Ah, cool cool. Thanks for clearing that up. I've always wanted to play yoshi since melee, cause he was that super pro status character, whats more pro then not having an up b. lol. and i've finally figured him out [in brawl anyways -_-;] so i'm gonna have fun with him, get good, take em to tournies see how i place. i was reading in the tourny results, why arent yoshis placing 1st. I understand its crazy hard to place 1st with all the snakes and mk. but we dont have one. ;[ i'll be trying to fix that. To the whole Yoshi community. I will main yoshi until i place 1st, [at a real tourny, not local garbagelol] :DDDD support mehh. I support you!

Airborne

Smash Lord
Ah, cool cool. Thanks for clearing that up. I've always wanted to play yoshi since melee, cause he was that super pro status character, whats more pro then not having an up b. lol. and i've finally figured him out [in brawl anyways -_-;] so i'm gonna have fun with him, get good, take em to tournies see how i place. i was reading in the tourny results, why arent yoshis placing 1st. I understand its crazy hard to place 1st with all the snakes and mk. but we dont have one. ;[ i'll be trying to fix that. To the whole Yoshi community. I will main yoshi until i place 1st, [at a real tourny, not local garbagelol] :DDDD support mehh. I support you!
the main reasons why yoshis are lacking the ability to place higher is the lack of basic coreplay, as scatz and others has said before on several occasions, and mixing it up, as i've heard several people tell me -.-....

but yeah, if you need any visual assistance, look for 2009 or late 2008 matches of bwett, burntsocks, scatz, green ace, or pride... i recommend not watching scatz at first, because he a is a far more complicated yoshi. green ace is probably the best yoshi to watch for a beginner because he primarily focuses on eggs and pivot grabs; aka, yoshi's best friends.

bigman40

Smash Master
the main reasons why yoshis are lacking the ability to place higher is the lack of basic coreplay, as scatz and others has said before on several occasions, and mixing it up, as i've heard several people tell me -.-....

but yeah, if you need any visual assistance, look for 2009 or late 2008 matches of bwett, burntsocks, scatz, green ace, or pride... i recommend not watching scatz at first, because he a is a far more complicated yoshi. green ace is probably the best yoshi to watch for a beginner because he primarily focuses on eggs and pivot grabs; aka, yoshi's best friends.
This is probably the best advice I heard you give out. Also, Bwett should be ther other yoshi player to look at since he's not complicated (more mindgames in the egg lay).

Top Bottom