• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Also, does anyone know if Egg Roll clanks with any aerials, nado, or anything? If so, when egg roll clanks with something, how many frames does it take before we can shield/jab/whatever?
:yoshi: If Egg Roll clanks with anything, you just have to wait for the impact stun on both characters to wear off.

The stun time is the same for both characters.

Once that wears off, you should be able to jab immediately, as Yoshi does not have to pop out of the egg when he clanks with Egg Roll.
I remember hearing at some point that egg roll straight up beats tornado, though I don't really remember if it was ever confirmed, or if whoever said that had been trolling, which is very possible, since we're talking about egg roll.

bigman40

Smash Master
Actually, I've had egg roll beat nado before. I'll test it a little later today to confirm it.

Edit: Yoshi will win to a badly spaced nado (always), but loses to nado when it clips the top of yoshi's egg. Sometimes nado won't stop eggroll and Yoshi will go through, so it's really weird. Also, I tested eggroll at point blank range and it clanked with nado, but nado doesn't have an exit instruction when things clank with it, so that doesn't matter.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Lmao you guys know how i love my eggroll. It beats hella stuff you wouldn't believe it did and clanks with a lot more. And lol at spacing it. No one ever spaces or di's Eggroll. They only try to beat it (alot of times failing) don't get me wrong the move sucks but i love it. I might make a thread O:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Is Air-Release --> Fair spike on MK a true combo?
I need an easier way to end the match so i can say GGs.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Is it easy for MK to escape AR-CG?

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
im a new yoshi (sorta) and iv been lookin around everywhere on something that will tell me how to waveland and not just some video showing someone do it. can someone please tell me how to waveland (like slices video on youtube for battlefield) like what buttons to press

bigman40

Smash Master
im a new yoshi (sorta) and iv been lookin around everywhere on something that will tell me how to waveland and not just some video showing someone do it. can someone please tell me how to waveland (like slices video on youtube for battlefield) like what buttons to press
It's the same setup as doing a DR (just jump and attack in sequential frames), but you have to be a certain height over the platform to make it cancel properly. Someone, when they get free time, will explain (with pics) on how and where to do it.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
It's the same setup as doing a DR (just jump and attack in sequential frames), but you have to be a certain height over the platform to make it cancel properly. Someone, when they get free time, will explain (with pics) on how and where to do it.
thanks a lot for telling how to do it and i will keep trying until i find the right spot (hopefully i will) so i can eventually do the edge tricks that sisitako and airbornelsgolden do

bigman40

Smash Master
Oh if you're talking about Air's video, then all you have to do is DJ back into the stage after using DownB on the slope.

Slice's wavelands are the ones I described above. They're fairly hard too considering that the timing is really tight.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
to DR on a platform do you just jump then when you're above the platform a little jump again and press nair

Sharky

Smash Master
basically yes. Right around when Yoshi's boots get to the platform, that's when you want to dj aerial. Of course if you want to slide one way or the other you wouldn't be nairing but you get the idea.

edit: ninja'd =(

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
k Yoshi boards:
What makes Yoshi's Air Release CG work against some characters but not others?
It seems to me that those that fall quickly hit the ground fast enough for them to get away, and size is also a factor.

But is that all there is to it?

I'm just curious.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
i have tried to find out how to do yoshis jab lock because people say he can but i havent found any videos and it always fails as yoshi but i can get it with any other character. what has to be done so yoshi can jab lock or is it just not possible

Airborne

Smash Lord
i have tried to find out how to do yoshis jab lock because people say he can but i havent found any videos and it always fails as yoshi but i can get it with any other character. what has to be done so yoshi can jab lock or is it just not possible
The only move I know of that can lock is nair, which has an odd feel to it, and is far easier to do if they're on a platform above you.

I made an example here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZo_pvgJ5VQ#t=52s

This video is also a promotion for Apex 2010, so attend since I am unable to!!! -___-

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It depends on the distance released, height released, fall speed of the character, and the size of the character mainly

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Okay, so I'm finally trying to get DR down, after doing it in a tourney match and not even knowing how I did it. So I wanted to know how other people do it. Is there some sort of secret? I know that you have to let go of the first jump button before you hit the second jump button, but I don't even have to worry about that because I press X-X and I hit A on the second press so as to buffer it into the second jump. I can get it about 5-10% of the time, but sometimes I do it too fast, and sometimes I do it too slow or at least I think that's what I'm doing. I know there's a five, six, and nine frame version. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or should I try a different scheme?

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
It took you that long to see that?

Yeah, I assumed that most people would be sliding their fingers rather than trying to press stuff fast. It certainly would be easier to learn that way than having to make the muscle memory for fast tapping, but it means I'd have to take that time teaching myself how to play a new control scheme. Yikarur's sounds like my setup for classic controller, but that would be twenty bucks for a pro. Well thanks guys.

bigman40

Smash Master
You can ask anyone who has changed to the so-called "Beast setup" and have enjoyed it. Celes, Air, Sharky, and a few others. Doesn't take that long to adjust when you'll be dying pretty fast from it.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
His setup is official. Took roughly an hour to adjust to it (probably less) and about a day to have DR down with it. X for specials makes ETS tricks easier and makes it easier for me to DJC Egglay (not that it was hard before but its even easier now lmao). The hardest part about it really is getting used to the fact that b doesn't throw eggs anymore.

Davidlazer

Smash Cadet
The beast control scheme is a really good control scheme for applying DR better than say a TJ off, L jump tag for ETSing. It didn't take me too long to adjust muscle memory to it, (2 or 3 days did the trick for me, and I wasn't SDing or messing up controls at all.) It's a much quicker way to learn to use DR, rather than using the XXA method which takes a longer time to master, though you still do have to get a feel for where you need your thumb to claw. All in all, really, it's just a matter of say, 2 days even 1 day (If you're Celes...), and even if you don't DR that much, the option to play like you used to is still there. The application of DR imo is the hardest part, not learning how to do the tech, which is fairly simple to get at first lol. I use the setup, I enjoy the setup, and it's pretty ****ed easy to adjust to going back to your old tag for other characters (If you do use any other characters.)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
X B ZR Classic Controller Pro
and I like your avi =D
I don't use DR since I can't accomplish it with Classic Controller but mine isn't the pro one, so my set up for if i'm trying DR/Regular one is.
No DR: Y/B Jump X Special R/ZR grab L/ZL Sheild.
Attempt for DR: Same thing except R is Attack while ZR is still grab.

Top Bottom