• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

D

Deleted member

Al contrere. Why would a fox want to fall to the ground against yoshi, especially in a position when he can be baired and grabbed. The most logical option is to jump, cuz fox likes to be above yoshi. If you go for the grab, fox can easily shine on reaction fast fall dair.
This is all useless theory craft ofcourse, depends on the player, im just saying that without knowledge of the player, you have much safer, reliable, and high reward options that going for a bthrow regrab.

Edit: I guess what im trying to say is that its fine if you know what they are going to do, but i wouldnt just go for it if you are blindly guessing.

D

Deleted member

Fox has a very high double jump.
It doesn't reaaaaaaally matter but i wonder if you can buffer a rising nair or a bair and hit fox

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, this thread is mainly for quicker types of questions and answers.

Stuff that goes back and forth is fine, but probably belongs in other threads.

Double_Edge

Smash Rookie
How do you guys prepare for a tourny, im going to one on saturday (all the good ppl will be at mlg) nd i dont know what to work on. it also doesnt help i dont have a brawl atm. i guess im kinda nervous

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Just go and have fun

tourneys don't matter imo

That is probably cuz I go to one every week or so, and rarely enter

D

Deleted member

Why would you be nervous lol
Its just a tourny, ur prolly gonna get last anyways.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The first thing you wanna work on is learning the ruleset.

It seems trivial, but I've been to tournaments (especially down here in GA) where I thought I knew the de facto ruleset and ended up surprising myself with the weird rules that tournaments down here have. Likewise, I've hosted events with particular twists in the rules unique to my hosting style that are meant to give players certain strategic advantages and they never took advantage of those rules because nobody ever really read them thoroughly.

Next, I would advise having a strong counterpick strategy. When it comes to stages or characters, sometimes picking what just feels good isn't really enough. Try to have a definite reason for your bans or counterpicks and try to make sure that you're really abusing them when you get the chance.

Finally, I would stress that you keep yourself in matches even when you think it's all over for you. Especially in a fickle game like Brawl, the match is never really over until it's over. Melee is silly because the games are often over as soon as they start (or sometimes before), but Brawl is equally as silly because anything can happen at any time for any reason period. Keep your head in the game and don't worry too much about winning or losing, but play each match hit for hit and stock for stock.

That's my advice to you.

Also, if you're a heavy eater, I would suggest getting some early morning nutrition through some drinks instead of through eating, as that may affect your thought processes and tournament play. Save the eating for when you're done with the tournament. If you're a light eater, this advice may or may not apply to you.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
When you all come to a SOVAman event (which is something you must do before your careers end) you will experience the SOVAman rules

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I am hyped for a SOVAman extravaganza.

Host something this summer or early fall? :D

Preferably at Five Guys. :>

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I don't know if Five guys will let me have that room again

they are being meanies

but I got like 5435243 other legit venues.

also I am trying to host one every month or so.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
How do you guys prepare for a tourny, im going to one on saturday (all the good ppl will be at mlg) nd i dont know what to work on. it also doesnt help i dont have a brawl atm. i guess im kinda nervous
Here's a huge one that I REALLY like to do.

Bring a couple water bottles and CRACKERS. This combination will keep you energized throughout the whole day, you don't even need to buy food. I consider myself a heavy eater, and I can last on those. It's amazing.

Other things include SHOWERING, bringing Morton's Iodized Salt, GETTING SOME SLEEP THE NIGHT BEFORE, and making sure to stay calm.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Crackers are better for you and keep you energized better. That fast food **** doesn't cut it for me anymore. I'll go get some with some people AFTER a tournament, maybe, but not during.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm about to test frame advantage with our Jab, at about 150% it's guaranted at a lot characters if the jab is fresh.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
How do I get good with Yoshi?

I heard he has some pretty solid matchups, and he's so fun to use. I think he should be higher on the tier list. He has a good recovery in this game, plus his up+B gives his added boosts. Sakurai did a great job with him in this game.

Don't waste your time.... oh too late, I made you look XD

bogsnes

Smash Rookie
Is it possible for yoshi to grabrelease characters like MK into something like a double dragonic reversal pivotgrab? In that case, yoshi would be able to infinite many characters, creating many awesome matchups ^^

D

Deleted member

Is it possible for yoshi to grabrelease characters like MK into something like a double dragonic reversal pivotgrab? In that case, yoshi would be able to infinite many characters, creating many awesome matchups ^^

Sharky

Smash Master
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /www.yodawgyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/yo-dawg-at-first-i-was-like.jpg on this server.

D

Deleted member

Sorry Sir.

Can anyone tell me if yoshis up air actually beats a properly spaced down air from MK?
Im a little rusty on my MK matchup knowledge :/

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sorry Sir.

Can anyone tell me if yoshis up air actually beats a properly spaced down air from MK?
Im a little rusty on my MK matchup knowledge :/
yes but the spacing is ridiculous, i dont recommend trying it in tournaments tho

MAybe some yoshis should actually put forth some effort to get some MU discussion going...
I'd be willing

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I WILL do it.

I dont have much better to do and i actually enjoy stuff like this :p

Top Bottom