• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
alright i has a question:

what's yoshi's best option out of a marth that is trying to dair u but is not jumping too high, so u can't get under him, i've tried pivot but the already knows it's comming, he will usually punish it, then spot dodge shinanigans get rapped by dancing blade, so help anyone?
Dair or fair? I've never heard of Marth SH dairing on-stage, though if that's actually what you're talking about, I'd say just shield and punish. As for fair, if you can read that a SH fair is coming, you can run in and upsmash. You could also try baiting the fair and retreating a bit, and then moving back in with bair.

Depster

Smash Champion
Depster, Yikarur, Firefly, Hades, and a few others use Classic controller.
~Mieu
CCPro represent! Every time I go to Wichita (well, twice now), there are always several people who just walk up and touch my controller, say that's amazing, then walk off lol. I love it too... But really, I've gotten so good and sliding my thumb across the top three buttons that I have to slow down or I go too fast... (DR is what I'm talking about). I have to switch L with zL and R with zR though or else I get all confused with shield and grab, since R and L are the tiny shoulder buttons on the CCPro, whereas zL and zR are humongous.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I love the FAQ Thread that no one uses. :D We need a glowing sign above the thread name so no one creates unnecessary posts :D

^
CCPro ftw :x I import it in august from Japan and use it at the first Brawl big Brawl Tournament a few days after the Controller arrived (I wasn't used to it then v__v but I just wanted to use that controller)

My DR Controlls are X + B + ZR and it works really well ^-^

I can't play Brawl atm so can someone test when Mario dies off the top at Halberd with DI and so on with Upsmash and Upair (Opponent grounded)? Halberd is going to be my standard CP beside YI so I want to know that for the Smashfest which starts tomorow and someone have to test if the ceiling is lower at either the Stage or the Ship. D:
pls? xD

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I am contemplating getting an adapter for my stick and playing Brawl with that.

I would be interested to see how DR works with that.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL

LOL!

Piano keying powershields, ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL

I would play Dedede forever if that actually worked.

Actually...

...hmm.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Hey, got a question about DR, how exactly does tap jump makes it easier? I know when you want to make an action after DRing, it's easier when you move the control stick up, than do your move, but besides from that, does it make DRing easier?

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
DR with tap jump is easier than mashing Y (or X) because it's easier to input a double jump quickly. Hitting up on the control stick and then hitting Y is easier than hitting Y twice really fast. That said, if you would prefer to keep tap jump off (as most Yoshis would), the best control scheme for DR is the Y-B-C stick setup, which has B set to jump and X set to specials. This lets you slide your thumb down along the Y and B buttons (double jump) and hit the C-stick (aerial) in one motion. The relatively radical change in controls might seem intimidating, but a lot of us here have adopted it, and it won't take as long as you might think to get comfortable with.

Yikarur

Smash Master
the secret behind tap jump being easy is that you can tap jump while you are holding a jump button (you can't jump with a button while holding another jump button)
So you can Tap Up to Jump and slide from Y to A and there is your DR. You have to let "up" on the control stick down because then you'll do an upsmash instead.
the input window is like..
Frame 1-4 Tap Jump
Frame 2-5 Y
Frame 3-6 Attack in that order.
so you have a +1 Time window in comparison to the rest of DR Set-ups which can mean a lot.
well it needs practice to use it like that and the most Yoshi Players avoid using tap jump because they can mess up with Off-Stage UpB which is an instant SD (mostly).

2 Jump Buttons which are the same (YY,XX,whateverwhatever) are not recommendable because no one can do it constantly D:

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to stick with tap jump on because I played the game with default controls since day 1, and tap jump dosen't annoy me. I'm getting to get the hang of DRing better now, back then, I practiced by pressing Y twice... But with tap jump I manage to pull it off more consistently than before.

PZ

Smash Lord
Umz how do people be doing up b without using their jump? I can do it its just I hold up during the lag of anything or when going off stage with upb.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
You can also set your C-stick to special attacks and use that for Egg Toss recovery. =3 Or, you can do an aerial or something, hold up on the control stick during the aerial, and press B afterwards while continuing to hold up, but that takes time to set up.

:005:

Boofy!

Smash Champion
How is it that Yoshi is considered bad yet they always seem to do well, he has pretty good MU's with alot of high/top tiers from what I understand. what exactly is holding him back? Yoshi is the character I know the least about, so please be specific.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: He doesn't have anything abusable and in any Smash game, if you can't abuse anything, you suck.

bigman40

Smash Master
Stop being a ****ing 2 hour old Yoshi then.

For Boofy:

Yoshi can't generally handle going toe to toe at the end of games against a handful of opponents. Yoshi's problem in terms of reliably setting up kills are massively enhanced to the point where this makes succeeding with Yoshi hard. Then, he's a highly momentum based character, and one that fairly depends on having jab mixups. When Yoshi can't get momentum or have the ability to mixup jabs for pressure, then it gets ugly for Yoshi.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol i try and rcover high AMAP, but realy i think its that he's a little predictably, and our crap shield

D

Deleted member

^Scat is not a top player.
But hes right, and im trollin

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
How do you fight fox, I have NO experience in this MU whatsoever... :(

D

Deleted member

Full hop a lot. Fox SHDLs all day, you gotta bait stuff. Run away from down airs, dont shield or spotdodge cuz he can punish hard. He has bad OOS options, so u can dtilt his shield and stuff.
Bair is really good if u land it, pivot grabs when hes comin down (but not too predictable else he will falling airdodge). IDK what to say about usmash, its a good move. SDI down out of rising fairs. Try to combo him when u can, dont throw many eggs unless hes recovering, spikes are good.

Ive played TKD quite a few times and i cant say im spectacular at the matchup but yea.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I played one for the very first time and he was giving me major problems... he almost 2 stocked me, but i got 1 last kill before i lost :urg:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Fox is a pretty hard MU, They're in the air 70% of the time against Yoshi since they fear the grab(God knows who doesn't), and SH Sex kicks just add to the mix >_>
Obv. stay from under Fox, behind him at low % is a better option if you can predict the Bair, but multi-hit Fair that can go into itself?
Don't get in front of Fox either.
I'm not trolling, i just suck >_>, haven't played Yoshi for a while.

Sharky

Smash Master
at low percents you can usually connect a bthrow into another grab just cause they won't expect it (and I believe they can only jump out at that point so if you think they will just nair them or something.) Upthrow is also good because they fall so fast.

D

Deleted member

^Poor matchup advice imo. Why would i risk a downair leading to 30+ percent just to get another 8 damage.
I mean when the only way to punish yoshi is a really hard punish, id prefer to down throw and read from there.

uthrow advice was fine.

Sharky

Smash Master
^poor judgement imo

why would I word it that way if it wasn't meant to be just a mix-up? and since they can only jump out of it (we would grab too early for them to do anything else according to frame data) a dair punish isn't even that likely.

On the upthrow, I'm certainly not talking about staying directly underneath him. I would move to the side and if he comes down, pivot grab him again, or bair>utilt, or go up with a bair if he shine stalls, or at worst he can get away and simply reset.

poor mu advice my ***

Top Bottom