• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Wolf O'Donnell Support Thread: Home of the StarWolf Squadron!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raul

Smash Lord
Hai gais... ah just heardz that Staarfocks: Puzzil blastArs is comieng outt fur dee-eesss.... lawl...

-don't take me serious-

How many wolves have to die?
You're funny Koji, sick, but funny. I don;t know if I'd totally be against a puzzle game. Actually, yeah I would. The Star Fox series has no rooms for puzzles. Arwing dogfights, gun shooting, rpg style games, thats all fine. No puzzles.

TO ALL:
Some of you may know I am a nerd and I do alot of writing. I have recently posted my original excerpt for my sci-fi series in the Creative Minds Forum.
The title is:
Jimmy, James and the Desert Sun

Please comment for constructive criticism and comments are always appreciated to writers.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
You're funny Koji, sick, but funny. I don;t know if I'd totally be against a puzzle game. Actually, yeah I would. The Star Fox series has no rooms for puzzles. Arwing dogfights, gun shooting, rpg style games, thats all fine. No puzzles.

TO ALL:
Some of you may know I am a nerd and I do alot of writing. I have recently posted my original excerpt for my sci-fi series in the Creative Minds Forum.
The title is:
Jimmy, James and the Desert Sun

Please comment for constructive criticism and comments are always appreciated to writers.
I agree with everything Wu Tang said about Wolf, and that he is an awesome, cool, intelligent, homophobic, Christian.

Hint hint

Wolf for Brawl!

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
chaos_Leader's arguments for Wolf O'Donnell

Super Smash Brothers games have been -in the past at least- a showcase of the latest and greatest of the Nintendo franchises. For 64/Melee that was such hits as Super Mario 64, LoZ Ocarina of Time, StarFox 64, Earthbound, Fire Emblem (for Japan anyway), the ever-present Pokemon series, a few more and some retro classics. Times have changed, More recent titles have been released, many selling like hot-cakes. The SSB franchise will change with it. Already there is evidence: Link in Twilight Princess apparel and gear, Mario's FLUDD, Ike, Samus (it seems to be a hybrid of Prime armor and older. Debatable). Who is to say that the StarFox franchise will remain in the late 90s for Brawl? Already Fox shares several similarities to his SF Command incarnation.

In StarFox 64, Wolf O'Donnell was little more than a boss fight for a few select levels, this fact is not disputed. However, in more recent titles Wolf has stepped-up in his image. No longer is he merely a stand-alone boss fight on a couple select levels. He is now a kind of ever-present Anti-Villain in the Starfox franchise.

A visual representation may help:

Evil----------------------------------------------------------------------------Good

Morally Explicit----------------Morally Ambiguous --------------Morally Explicit

Villain-------><------ Anti-Villain-----><------Anti-Hero-------><--------Hero

Andross-----------------Wolf O.-------------------Falco-----------------------Fox

Like an Anti-Hero, an Anti-Villain is a far more complex and more intricate character than on one extreme or the other. Often the Anti-Hero/Villain will receive greater interest than the ordinary Villain/Hero, hence Falco's popularity in the StarFox series.

Considering the events in both SF Assault and SF Command, Wolf's character is in a state of moral ambiguity. On the one hand, he has intentions to Kill Fox of a personal nature, naving failed in his contract in SF64 Wolf Seeks revenge. On the other, Wolf saves and assists Fox In SF Assault using the excuse 'I'm only saving you now so I can kill you myself later'. It is akin to the character development of the "Dragon Ball Z" anime characters Goku and Vegeeta. this parallel furthers in SF Command where in one possible plotline, Wolf will actively assist Fox and has "a grudging respect" for Fox. thus further deviating Wolf from the placement of a true Villain.

Which goes to another point. Like it or not, Falco and Wolf supporters are competing. This is not without cause: Falco has had some character developments in the other direction, separating himself from Fox at several points, even taking part in a dogfight between himself and Fox (published in a Manga written by Nintendo, whether you acknowledge it or not is irrelevant for this point). Although Falco is still considered on the side of the heroes, and Wolf still considered on the side of the Villains, they have a common trait: Moral Ambiguity. Moral ambiguity adds a lot of depth to any character and makes them seem more plausible. Rather than the flat, often stereotypical portrayal of pure Heroes or Pure Villains. This Moral Ambiguity is what attracted the original fans of Falco whether or not they were aware depends on the individual. However, Falco has always been slightly morally ambiguous, so his character has not undergone much change between SF64 and the present. Wolf on the other hand has obtained a moral ambiguity recently, and is featured far more prominently than ever before in recent SF titles.

You may not care for all that 'character, story, plotline babble and stick to your bias. Thats ok, we're allowed to have opinions not based on fact or research. This is the internet after all.

Most of the major series appear to be getting some sort of antagonist/villain/rival/whatever. If one was to add an opposing force to the SF representation to the SSBB roster, would you add Andross? no I wouldn't think so. Falco? isn't he Fox's wingman most of the time? Thats where Wolf comes in "The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens..." from the Smash Bros DOJO As far as SSBB is concerned, Fox is a famous character. I suppose you could fill the Subspace Emissary burden with Andross, but he's already an assist trophy, and this niche is far better filled by Wolf O'Donnell than any other possibility.

For those who cling to the 'clone' argument or 'too similar' argument, I have this to say. Fox's moveset was made by the seam of the developments' pants, they had nothing to base Fox on for his SSB64 and Melee appearances. Wolf however had his coming-out as a more significant character in StarFox Assault. There are several elements from this game that can be implemented to give Wolf a completely unique moveset from Fox, which would be the probable direction for the development to go when constructing Wolf's moveset. And what better way to showcase the most recent StarFox console game than with one of its most prominent characters using items such as sniper-rifles, machine guns, or whatever else you like from SF Assault.

Super Smash Bros is about the Latest and Greatest of the Nintendo Franchises, where Fox hearkens back to the Greatest that was StarFox 64 (good-old 64 LandMaster FS), Wolf O'Donnell Would show us the Latest from Assault and Command.

@ raul: you may post this on the front page if you like.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
I'm not opposed to Wolf, but I still say Falco is first in, if for no other reason than to give us some variety (3 canines seems to be a silly representation of the SF series).
Fox and Krystal are actually vulpine, not canine. But I understand what you mean. Still, I don't think there's much variety either if all three Star Fox reps are members of the Star Fox team. Especially when Wolf is eligible for Brawl.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Wolf needs to be in. And that silly little Dark Fox costume doesn't deconfirm Wolf, it actually has almost no resemblance at all to Wolf.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
Wolf needs to be in. And that silly little Dark Fox costume doesn't deconfirm Wolf, it actually has almost no resemblance at all to Wolf.
That's what I always tell people on Gamefaqs, but they tend to not listen. I remember when that update first came, I was relieved to find out that it looked nothing like Wolf. Yet some people still seem to think its proof that he's de-confirmed.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
You may not care for all that 'character, story, plotline babble and stick to your bias. Thats ok, we're allowed to have opinions not based on fact or research. This is the internet after all.

Most of the major series appear to be getting some sort of antagonist/villain/rival/whatever. If one was to add an opposing force to the SF representation to the SSBB roster, would you add Andross? no I wouldn't think so. Falco? isn't he Fox's wingman most of the time? Thats where Wolf comes in "The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens..." from the Smash Bros DOJO As far as SSBB is concerned, Fox is a famous character. I suppose you could fill the Subspace Emissary burden with Andross, but he's already an assist trophy, and this niche is far better filled by Wolf O'Donnell than any other possibility.
You basically read my mind, and that is the exact reason I support Wolf in Brawl, and why I think he has a real shot.

raul

Smash Lord
To Chaos_Leader, I will be adding your argument to the front page today. I have been involved in the Creative Minds Forum for the last few days and I am addicited. It is very good for young writers, like myself.

As for the main argument of the day:

I feel we put too much emphasis on the species of a character rather than the realtionship and the role of the character in their respective game. We have to remember that video games are not only games but are also stories. Stories follow a plot and the characters of the story help develop that plot. The relationship of characters and the role they play in the series is very important. In recent games Wolf's role has increased while Falco's role has dimished slightly. We cannot simply forget about what role and the relationship Wolf has with the rest of the cast.

After playing two hours of Star Fox assault I feel sick... sick that Namco could destroy the Star Fox name so catastrophically and instantly.

I mean what the **** is up with that gay 20th century Swedish tenchno remix of the Star Fox tune anyway?

New thing? What? The on foot thing?

I find how they totally ****ified the Star Fox characters the biggest problem, seriously play 64 and then play assault. Then compare the characters.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
New thing? What? The on foot thing?

I find how they totally ****ified the Star Fox characters the biggest problem, seriously play 64 and then play assault. Then compare the characters.
I played 64 a lot, and Assault was much more challenging and fun. The characters looked so much more badass, compare Wolf in assault to the mouth flapping Wolf in 64. Wolf in Starfox 2 was where he debuted with his red eye, so he's cool in there too.

Adventures was crap because of Krystal, that's why I didn't like it. If you ignore Krystal in the games she's in, it almost completely makes the games more fun.

I actually now completely agree that Wolf is great in Assault, but the other characters? Seriously the voice acting is bad enough without the crappy dialog to go with it.

I mean they call it a "Roll" I mean WTF!? Its a ****ing barrel roll not a ****ing "Roll".

And Fox and Falco where so much cooler before Assault... I mean... have you seen Falco's head?

Syzygy

Smash Apprentice
Still, I don't think there's much variety either if all three Star Fox reps are members of the Star Fox team.

That's probably the best arguement I've seen on this entire topic, lol.

I'm a huge supporter of Wolf. Despite Falco being my favorite Star Fox Character ever (Probably because I've stuck to the good old SF games), I'd rather see Wolf in Smash. I think Fox needs an opponent. I'm not quite sure why, but I'd really love to see Wolf replace Falco. IDK if it'll happen, but we'll see.

raul

Smash Lord
That's probably the best arguement I've seen on this entire topic, lol.

I'm a huge supporter of Wolf. Despite Falco being my favorite Star Fox Character ever (Probably because I've stuck to the good old SF games), I'd rather see Wolf in Smash. I think Fox needs an opponent. I'm not quite sure why, but I'd really love to see Wolf replace Falco. IDK if it'll happen, but we'll see.
I have to agree with the argument as well. In fact, I don't think it has ever been mentioned even in the previous thread. Nice work white lightning. Tis true, no variety is everyone is a hero. And I def agree with you Syzygy. Fox needs an opponent. And since ANDROSS is an AT...

Limit

Smash Apprentice
I touched on that argument in my main post, but definitely, it is one that should be emphasized more. I remembered to make note of that fact, however I overlooked it too much.

You might ask, well why do we absolutely need a villain for Star Fox? The answer is in those tons of paragraphs I wrote above -- but in short, we need villains for variety. It is completely redundant to include 3 hero-sided characters, and the developers have or should have already realized this fact. And despite what you may think, Wolf is not a filler character – he deserves that spot just as much as Krystal or Falco do. The only leverage he has above them, and the reason I am arguing on his side, is on behalf of the villain issue. We do not need an all out good guys roster with Fox, Krystal, and Falco only.
Truthfully, it would be completely redundant to include only the three Starfox Team members and completely ignorant to ignore Wolf as a viable character. That's why I said that once a game series gets larger and allows for more characters, villains and rivals tend to be added in as priority to provide a more well rounded roster. Many people honestly don't look at the big picture when it comes to things like this -- viewing things from a narrow scope often does not allow you to see everything clearly. Wolf may not look like the best candidate of the three on the surface, but once you zoom out and see how well he completes the Starfox roster, it seems only fitting to include him.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Now if Falco is rid of, Wolf would be very likely. I seriously doubt there will be four Star Fox reps: Fox, Krystal, Falco and Wolf. Falco has to go.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
I touched on that argument in my main post, but definitely, it is one that should be emphasized more. I remembered to make note of that fact, however I overlooked it too much.

Truthfully, it would be completely redundant to include only the three Starfox Team members and completely ignorant to ignore Wolf as a viable character. That's why I said that once a game series gets larger and allows for more characters, villains and rivals tend to be added in as priority to provide a more well rounded roster. Many people honestly don't look at the big picture when it comes to things like this -- viewing things from a narrow scope often does not allow you to see everything clearly. Wolf may not look like the best candidate of the three on the surface, but once you zoom out and see how well he completes the Starfox roster, it seems only fitting to include him.
Those are my exact thoughts. If a franchise is going to get three reps, at least one should be a villain. So far, it looks like the developers agree with me. Every series to get at least three reps ( In both Melee and Brawl ) contains at least one villain. I see no reason why Star Fox should be an exception to this.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
did we just destroy all opinions to the contrary? Either one of probably two has happened:

1: those who oppose Wolf as a SSBB character have reigned us to be too stubborn to listen to them (which we're not)

or 2: those who opposed Wolf have accepted his probability as a character.

Koji Syntax

Smash Cadet
did we just destroy all opinions to the contrary? Either one of probably two has happened:

1: those who oppose Wolf as a SSBB character have reigned us to be too stubborn to listen to them (which we're not)

or 2: those who opposed Wolf have accepted his probability as a character.
Seems that way, huh?

Patinator

Smash Champion
So in other words, Chaos, Wolf Supporters = win?

In fact, I haven't seen ANYONE from the old thread, save for the fellow founders and Rubydragon. Perhaps my memory is going...

Limit

Smash Apprentice
There's just no controversy anymore...:(

It's really not worth walking into this thread and striking up an argument anyways with Wolf's arsenal of master debaters (lol) he has gunning for him.

RDK

Smash Hero
We need to get some Krystal furries in here and get the drama llamas flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom