• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
I don't have any unfortunately, but people are always baffled when I say that I have no problem at all against Meta. Hmm, I believe I have a few decent ones saved on my Wii if someone would be generous enough to put them up for me. Also, I know Bum has my first game against Inui at my last tourney on his, but I don't think Inui would want that one up lol
I'd be happy to put them up for you :bee:. There is a severe lack of good zss vids, so this'll be great!

My Wii FC is: 8435-4525-8438-2463
Brawl FC: 0473-7463-3710

After the vids are encoded how would you like them uploaded? I could upload them directly to your channel if you're comfortable giving someone you don't know your password :p. I understand if you don't want to do that though heh; whatever works for you ;).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Not to argue against you, but I can't stand to let an obvious point for either side go unnoticed. To make the ever over popular Street Fighter reference: Akuma was actually beatable by about 3 characters in the game, it was just a hard as hell matchup (which as in Dojo's own words Metaknight is "tough as hell" I believe is how he put it in that "epic" post Brinboy keeps spamming). Now he was still banned obviously. That's some food for thought. And before anybody goes "Wah Sirlin didn't say that." First of all, Sirlin is not the be all end all of all internet arguments about fighting games and I'm tired of people leaning on him like a crutch instead of forming their own logic. Second of all, he actually did mention in one of his articles that Akuma was beatable, it was just really hard for those few characters that could beat him.

On the other hand Metaknight doesn't beast anyone -that- bad.

this topic is now about my little ponies
i really cant add anything to this post, its 100% correct. especially the part about sirlin

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
lol...dont mess with the ponies.. if you keep it up, they will work hard to ensure that this thread is CLOSED. (thats their secondary final smash)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my effort to get things back on track

I NEVER took the easy way out, I lost at tournaments in Melee... could I have chosen easier characters... sure, but where is the satisfaction?
lol the satisfaction is in the money, the money that you dont get cus you dont win the tourneys
I think that metaknight shouldn't be banned because I defeat him all of the time using sonic no items and his cpu level was 9 but before you hit me with negative comments can I suggest two things? number 1 replace mk with another character in the roster, number 2 give mk a handicap that's all I got to say okay bye.
playing against cpus means nothing. and if you admit that MK needs a handicap , than he should just be eliminated all together.
Now that MKs have learned to play Pipes, what would you guys say is his worst stage, even if there are none that give him a disadvantage?
green greens low cceilings and close sides and it easy to camp with projectiles. but at the same time he can still jab infinite you on the blocks, see what we mean about no bad stages?
Sorry that I was silly enough to assume that intelligent players would be able to realize that my criteria for a banning call would be more than being beaten.
It's this case in many games if you HAVE to compare.
How many times would you see a low tier beating a top tier in another game.
Of course it was possible, but rare.
unless the character in question is completely invincible and cant be damaged, and cant be knocked of the stage, he can be beaten, therefore that is not a reasonble criteria for a ban.
also, tiers in guilty gear are almost meaningless, because every character in that game *****, and ive seen chipps light up testaments like it was their job.

TheFast

Smash Lord
People need to stop comparing MK to Snake they are nothing alike Snake is the 2nd best character because of his meta game. Alot of people where like o cool solid snake is in brawl I wanna learn to play as him. MK is the best because he is the best character in the game. Just because he is the best character is the best doesn't mean they should be banned. But because of all the whiners. I think a ban might be in future tourneys. I play mario and I am against MKs ban because I believe any character can be any character if played right. Also stop compairing MK to melee fox. Everyone in melee was broken. They all had zero to death combos on most of the cast. Fox was just more broken than others far from MK in comparison to Brawls line-up.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
sure.. lets begin..

metaknight is not going to be banned ladies/gentlemen! I know because it wouldn't make sense to ban him, he isnt 100% immortal, which means he can be beaten... uhuh urg.. off... sry my topic train derailed.... every aspect of this topic has been covered.. people are just repeating the same arguement.. the subject itself had it coming.. i agree with the post above...

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sorry that I was silly enough to assume that intelligent players would be able to realize that my criteria for a banning call would be more than being beaten.

It's this case in many games if you HAVE to compare.
How many times would you see a low tier beating a top tier in another game.
Of course it was possible, but rare.
guilty gear where the worst character goes 60:40- against everyone.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
To be fair, Guilty Gear is probably the most balanced fighting game ever created. It's a rare, rare day when something that balanced is put out on the market.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
sure.. lets begin..

metaknight is not going to be banned ladies/gentlemen! I know because it wouldn't make sense to ban him, he isnt 100% immortal, which means he can be beaten... uhuh urg.. off... sry my topic train derailed.... every aspect of this topic has been covered.. people are just repeating the same arguement.. the subject itself had it coming.. i agree with the post above...
Akuma is not going to be banned ladies/gentlemen! I know because it wouldn't make sense to ban him, he isn't 100% immortal, which means he can be beaten....

wait a minute.

To be fair, Guilty Gear is probably the most balanced fighting game ever created. It's a rare, rare day when something that balanced is put out on the market.
I approve of this message.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Also stop compairing MK to melee fox. Everyone in melee was broken. They all had zero to death combos on most of the cast. Fox was just more broken than others far from MK in comparison to Brawls line-up.
truth.
hes against the ban and still doesnt like the melee comparison
everybody did broken unfair stuff, thats what made it more even. thats how balence works.
thats how it works for guilty gear.
thats how it works for WOW
thats how it works for MvC2
thats how it works for CvS2
thats how it works for pokemon
thats how it works for yugioh
thats how it works for just about every competitve game.
if every thing is broken, than its fair because each person has the chance to 0-death/OHKO/OTKO the other person. thats why its ok
unfortunately, MK is the only one that has such abilities, and therefore he is the only broken character.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
truth.
hes against the ban and still doesnt like the melee comparison
everybody did broken unfair stuff, thats what made it more even. thats how balence works.
thats how it works for guilty gear.
thats how it works for WOW
thats how it works for MvC2
thats how it works for CvS2
thats how it works for pokemon
thats how it works for yugioh
thats how it works for just about every competitve game.
if every thing is broken, than its fair because each person has the chance to 0-death/OHKO/OTKO the other person. thats why its ok
unfortunately, MK is the only one that has such abilities, and therefore he is the only broken character.
lol

are you serious?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i personaly think WOW and guilty gear are tied for second place when it comes to balence only to starcraft

and all three games get patches
guilty gear gets them in the form of revamped install ments
X
XX
#reload
AC
arent they all the same game technically?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
So?
Low tier characters do not rarely win against high tie characters.
That falls into character matchups.

if you mean overall tournament wise then yes.

@dakid: yes hence why I usually wait before buying.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol

are you serious?
guilty gear, everyone has like 60-75 percent combos right?
wow, pom pyro, assassin rouge, mortal strike wars. fear. restos instant 3.5 sec. heal. its all kinda broken
yugioh, gladiator beasts. demise decks. arcana force: the world. all pretty broken
pokemon, they have an uber tier.. that screams broken
MvC2. storm, magneto, and somebody else has infinites... you can infinite popup support characters. and ive seen 80% combos with like 20 different characters in that game
CvS. get up shoryukens. that junk is stupid
do you need more...

EDIT
and as a matter of fact. thats how it worked in smash 64 as well. everyone had 0-deaths

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
sure.. lets begin..

:link:
I've kept with this thread for a while now, and this is getting me annoyed. Look at what I bolded.

Akuma was defeatble. Was it at all expected or likely, no. But, he is beatable. Being beatable or not has nothing to do with a ban, but moreso the likeliness of the chance of victory is more of the factor.

An example, though on somewhat different terms, is Pokemons newest addition to a ban, Garchomp. Garchomp is amazingly fast and powerful, with great type coverage, etc.
Garchomp was sure to take out at least one Pokemon on the opposing team, because he was just that good. The reason he got banned is because of the popularity and power of him.
Before he was banned, since Diamond and Pearl were released and the competitive scene was started, Garchomp was the top dog a few months after, much like Metaknight is/was with Brawl. Garchomp just devistated the competitive scene and was on almost all competitive players teams. Metaknight, as of now, is devistating the Brawl scene and is on a plethora of top players character list*cough*HOBO11*cough*.

I think I've made my point with this.
[/rant]

.:: Guilty Gear is a very balanced game...probably the most balanced fighter. The tiers don't gap too much, which is why it's such a hard competitive game, because there's more diversity and one character isn't dominating the scene ::.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I don't know if I agree with WoW being that balanced.

Come see about my Ret Paladin and we'll talk business, LOL. And let's not get started on Warlocks.

I had a very long post typed out about the comparison between Meta Knight and Melee Fox, but I think I'll just keep quiet and enjoy what everyone else has to say.

Interesting points being brought up, though.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Yes MK can be beaten, however the question we should actually be asking is: can he be reasonably beaten?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
um what? being unbeatable (which MK ISN'T!!) is the whole reason why people want him banned. Other wise why would we care?
Actually, the reason I want him banned is because he has an obvious advantage over EVERYONE in the cast, and that the only way to beat him is to work 50x harder than your opponent, in which case you still might not win, and that he's driving the metagame to be almost totally MK.

Please DO NOT speak for others' opinions

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
i personaly think WOW and guilty gear are tied for second place when it comes to balence only to starcraft

and all three games get patches
guilty gear gets them in the form of revamped install ments
X
XX
#reload
AC
arent they all the same game technically?
i personaly think WOW ... tied for second place when it comes to balence only to starcraft
WOW ... second place ... balence
ROFL

world of warcraft?

balanced?

XD

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
um what? being unbeatable (which MK ISN'T!!) is the whole reason why people want him banned. Other wise why would we care?
Akuma is technically not unbeatable.

the primary reason for someone who knows what they are talking about is how MK damages viability.

Logically you should choose KM to assure you do not go at a disadvantage.

so if I choose sonic and my opponent is MK unless I win I'll remain at a disadvantage even if I win the next match.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
All characters, even Gill, God Rugal, Night Terror, ST Akuma, Judgement, Jinpachi and other utterly broken characters are beatable. Their health bars can hit zero, so they are beatable. But this doesn't mean that they shouldn't be violently killed and mutilated with the ban hammer.
MK is beatable sure. But at a high level of play, all tournament matches are turning into MK v MK as MK beats all other characters so deftly. I don't believe that MK should be banned anytime soon considering the game is about half a year old, but he seems to be heading in that direction.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
If you're going to quote me, do it correctly. I hate when people pick clips of your post to do stuff like this. >_>

I don't believe anyone hear thinks Metaknight is unbeatable, because we all know he is. If you actually read the rest of what I said. . ."Being beatable or not has nothing to do with a ban, but moreso the likeliness of the chance of victory is more of the factor."
. . .you would have noticed that I am judging by the likeliness of winning, as most people should be/are doing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
wow is just like yugioh, for every incredibly powerful tech/ move/ character if you customise correctly you can beat it.
but yea, its obvious that locks and rogues are the best

EDIT:

creo is correct

kr3wman

Smash Master
In Wow, it's like the tier list changes every expansions packs. It's the farthest thing from being balanced.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
wow is just like yugioh, for every incredibly powerful tech/ move/ character if you customise correctly you can beat it.
but yea, its obvious that locks and rogues are the best

EDIT:

creo is correct
When you beat out a GB deck or DAD return deck or Judgement dragon deck without using the other two tell me.

oh and tell me if you go beyond 5 turns

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
In Wow, it's like the tier list changes every expansions packs. It's the farthest thing from being balanced.
Lol? The tier list in Guilty Gear is flipped upside down with every installment, but each game still manages to remain relatively well balanced.
Changes in tier ranking between installments has little to do with with game balance.

Shiri

Smash Chump
An example, though on somewhat different terms, is Pokemons newest addition to a ban, Garchomp. Garchomp is amazingly fast and powerful, with great type coverage, etc.
Garchomp was sure to take out at least one Pokemon on the opposing team, because he was just that good. The reason he got banned is because of the popularity and power of him.
Before he was banned, since Diamond and Pearl were released and the competitive scene was started, Garchomp was the top dog a few months after, much like Metaknight is/was with Brawl. Garchomp just devistated the competitive scene and was on almost all competitive players teams. Metaknight, as of now, is devistating the Brawl scene and is on a plethora of top players character list*cough*HOBO11*cough*.

I think I've made my point with this.
[/rant]
:yoshi: Interesting someone should mention this as it had crossed my mind as well.

Before the game was even released, Garchomp was predicted to be top tier and was easily the most highly anticipated Pokémon of the 4th generation on most competitive boards. He came out and immediately shot up to top tier without question. He suffered some setbacks as more teams began to run anti-Garchomp measures...in some cases, dedicating entire sections of their team to deal specifically with this one pkmn. The setbacks were only for about...a period of three months, maybe? Garchomp's game was revitalized with the ChainChomp moveset, which was quite novel to say the least.

What happened with this revitalization, though, is that when people gave Garchomp a second look over at that time, they just looked at his stats and found him to be too much **** in one pkmn and decided to take him all the way. Since then, people have been abusing the mess out of him with reckless abandon. The last I saw of the community before last month was late April and he was still in full swing if I remember correctly. From YacheChomp, which resisted one of his two weakness for more guaranteed KOs, straight to ScarfChomp, which has been brutally broken since the very idea of Choice Scarf was incarnated, he was just all around too good. If he had just ONE point of base speed less than he does, he would not have people dedicating as much time as they do building **** sets with him as they do thinking of **** sets to counter him.

I shouldn't have to say, also, that the best way to counter Garchomp was with another Garchomp, LOL. Sound familiar?

Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom