• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Low-Mid high if you ask me. He's really nimble and has nice aerials, as well as an awesome gimping ability imo, but then that's my opinion, not ultimate truth. Just remember that people before you start to rip my innards out...

Diddy would be the worst character in the game without bananas. Falcon, contrary to common belief, has a lot going for him, and is only the worst cuz everyone else is better.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I think Sonic will be mid-tier upon completion of the next tier list. If not, then there are some weird people here.

Anther

Smash Champion
The fact that sonic having the fastest running speed meaning he can dash and shield grab any jab attack doesn't mean anything.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The fact that sonic having the fastest running speed meaning he can dash and shield grab any jab attack doesn't mean anything.
The fact that MK has lagless attacks also means nothing.

Tenki

Smash Hero
c-c-c-combo breaker!

Not to mention dash -> shield is the #1 approach for like half the cast. (Also Sonic's best approach... yes, better than down-B spindash.)
Yep. Dash>Shield is his best approach ;D
- running speed screws up opponent's spacing
- shield usually sets up for a grab, and grab means Sonic has control
- beaten out by grabs, and if opponent is conditioned to do this, missed grabs are uberpunishable.

Side-B>Shield is a pretty good approach too, partly because Sonic is absolutely safe during the side-B's non-full charge, and it has this weird 'mental pressure' aspect to it.

And just to clarify something for people who don't play Sonic:

Sonic's (grounded) down-B is a horrible approach :<

Anything that deals less than 17-20 damage can clang with and stop it, and anything greater than that (not including aerials or projectiles) will beat it out, and that number range goes down as Sonic stales it. Anyone with good timing can shieldgrab a direct grounded down-B approach, and anyone with OoS reflexes can U-air or B-air OoS to punish a spindash>aerial. I don't see why people think it's such a good approach 9__9;

Some idiot thought Ganon was too crappy and slow and tried to be all 'fast' and use a Sonic down-B approach to hit me while I (using Ganon) was charging a smash, because apparently Ganon is supposed to be really slow.

He deserved the death.

Anyway, Sonic's down-B is his most damage-potent punisher. Against good players, it should never be used when the opponent is in a neutral state because of how easily it's destroyed, but it should be abused whenever the opponent has some predicted lag of some sort (startup, ending, landing, online [<-- lol, online Sonics overabuse it and get raepd offline because of this]).

Ravin

Smash Lord
How many of you who vs sonics always attempt to grab him while hes doing a Down B or Side B to tell yourself I just caught Sonic...?

I know I do, and I email Dr. Eggman everyday about it rubbing it in his face.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I'll be honest, a good sonic is scary. Those fast attacks and down b cancles are confusing and mind ****. HIs dash attack has a lot of priority and gets a little annoying. And he's a little hard to grab being fast and all. He doesn't have the worst kill power either, his fsmash comes out fast. I can see him moving up.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Sonic's dash attack is one of my favorite approaches, even if it's not as good as dash->shield haha. Even if they block it, it just goes really far and you can use it over and over.

Sonic is very interesting to play. Sometimes he can kinda just stand around, wait for a mistake, and then run all the way across the stage to punish. He can punish a mistake even Toon Link's projectile spam with good timing. I always knew from the very start that Sonic is all about using his amazing dash to enhance his ground game. He can only do so much in the air.

His punish game is one of the most amazing out of the whole cast.... it's only held back by the low punish damage that he does. Couple jab hits to a uthrow is sometimes the best he can manage, which kinda sucks.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Tiers are just to show what characters have the best matchups, tournament rankings, potential, and priority.
Nothing else really.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic's dash attack is one of my favorite approaches, even if it's not as good as dash->shield haha. Even if they block it, it just goes really far and you can use it over and over.
D;

Dash attack is punishable if you release shield right away. Or grabbable if you wanna use high-reflex players as an example. Just think of those anti-Metaknight reflexes and just project it onto Sonic and all of a sudden his openings become so much more evident lol.

It IS a good 'throwoff' or punisher move though. Things that you might have reacted too slow to grab can usually be reached by Dash Attack.

Sonic is very interesting to play. Sometimes he can kinda just stand around, wait for a mistake, and then run all the way across the stage to punish. He can punish a mistake even Toon Link's projectile spam with good timing. I always knew from the very start that Sonic is all about using his amazing dash to enhance his ground game. He can only do so much in the air.

His punish game is one of the most amazing out of the whole cast.... it's only held back by the low punish damage that he does. Couple jab hits to a uthrow is sometimes the best he can manage, which kinda sucks.
Not necessarily directed to you, but another common misconception about Sonic is that he punishes from like, across the level. While it is true that Sonic can run across FD in under 60 frames (55-57?), effectively making even things like MK's tornado grabbable out of shield when it's under half the stage away, why limit yourself by standing so far from your opponent? If characters like Marth can punish by just being slightly outside the opponent's attack range, just how much more can Sonic punish from the same distance?

The punish damage is greater if you punish with spindashes ;o

the ASC 'simple combo' is amazing >_>
30+ damage.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
what's the asc simple combo?

anyway, hehe tenki i see your point but i like to be optomistic and believe blindly that sonic is more amazing than he actually is

it helps me when i play low tiers

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha sir 0rion has some clever points.

the brawl tier list is a decent representation, but matchups are a lot stronger in this game than tiers

Tenki

Smash Hero
what's the asc simple combo?

anyway, hehe tenki i see your point but i like to be optomistic and believe blindly that sonic is more amazing than he actually is

it helps me when i play low tiers
Well it's pretty simple actually.

Press R or Z twice!

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Obvious changes~Sonic. A mid tier character (ISPO) with good tourney results. Goodbye Sonic
The new oddball trio will miss you.

Yoshi actually has alot of things going for him IMO.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well it's pretty simple actually.

Press R or Z twice!
whoa, awesome. thanks very much
ROFL, Tenki's mindgaming you to visit the Sonic boards.

Another essential thing to Sonic's game is what to do AFTER a throw. We stated that Sonic's dash>grab is his best approach, so it's important to followup after a throw. For example, if the opponent doesn't know to tech the Dthrow, you can usually chase immediately after the throw and grab again (challenges the DThrow chase skills of Snake). And there's way too many options out of Uthrow :D
Heck, even Uthrow>Usmash is practically a guaranteed combo on most characters.

:093:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Don't worry Terios, it's just our mains, though there are more than usual <3

People seem to be less overwhelmingly bias against him though....which makes a refreshing change.

:093:

Browny

Smash Hater
sorry im late guise

anyway... i dont think sonic should go up many places in the next one, but at least top of low

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@DJ

what do you mean 'almost'?

your the best effing player in the country!

you won like 5 tourneys straight, how is sonic not top tier over there?

and for the record, its not really a Yoshi/Sonic beef.
its more like a KID/Mmac beef.
but since we basically run our respective boards, I can see how people could make that misteak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom