• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Me and Jash got 4th at gimped.
Me and Blackwaltz got 3 at the ECRC finals for placing in brackets. Lost to both ally and holy in winners and losers finals.
Me and TeeVee got first at the tournament we won singles. And the funny thing was, I got to that tournament late so had to start in losers. Won losers straight.
GIMPED 1 (Feb 22 2009): 5th out of 38 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222585
ECRC FINALS CATACLYSM 4 (Jan 12 2009): 9th out of 17 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215698
N.F.B. 4 (Oct 26 2008): 1st out of 13 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201706

It's a good thing you correctly remembered winning the doubles event at NFB4, because your other two results are a bit off.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
GIMPED 1 (Feb 22 2009): 5th out of 38 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222585
ECRC FINALS CATACLYSM 4 (Jan 12 2009): 9th out of 17 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215698
N.F.B. 4 (Oct 26 2008): 1st out of 13 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201706

It's a good thing you correctly remembered winning the doubles event at NFB4, because your other two results are a bit off.
Ok, Jash I was one point off. Could have sworn we got 4th though.

ECRC Finals I said team for getting into the team bracket. I forgot what they called that. It was dealing with the point system I guess.

Nanaki

Smash Lord

*sits off to side to watch, sips tea, twirls monocle*

In other news: Does Samus ever have a chance of moving up? She has some awesome qualities, but the bottom blastzone being your best killing one is a bit of a hindrance.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
In other news: Does Samus ever have a chance of moving up? She has some awesome qualities, but the bottom blastzone being your best killing one is a bit of a hindrance.
I doubt it. She has so many crippling flaws that her awesome projectile game, her sexy ZAir and her good survability won't help her much. :/

Nanaki

Smash Lord
I doubt it. She has so many crippling flaws that her awesome projectile game, her sexy ZAir and her good survability won't help her much. :/
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the huge crippling flaws (besides lack of killing ability)? Her roll sucks and her grab is slow as all getup, I guess. At least all of her aerials autocancel.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I think Samus is another underratted character. Besides the lack to Kill (like others) He has A good Pressure game and can follow up well attack projectile use.

And That Zair can make it hard to just get inside with a good Mix of projectiles. And she kinda lives long. This character has options to be really good. And up-B out the shield is just too good. She can eat people shields well.

Thus always brought my quesrtion on how Samus does against DDD.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I think Samus is another underratted character. Besides the lack to Kill (like others) He has A good Pressure game and can follow up well attack projectile use.

And That Zair can make it hard to just get inside with a good Mix of projectiles. And she kinda lives long. This character has options to be really good. And up-B out the shield is just too good. She can eat people shields well.

I do tend to agree. I was really really surprised at Xyro's placing at Hobo 16 (the MK banned tourney; in before "that tourney doesn't matter!!1"). Not that Samus is amazing or anything.

Like I said earlier in the thread, ROB is close to what Samus could have been.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Rhetorical, aren't we? :bee:

And I seriously enjoy using Samus in singles. She combos into almost anything thanks to her uair (which also autocancels), and the ability to spike THAT easily is seriously a huge advantage...! Oh and by the way, I'm not saying these things to help with the argument, I'm just saying what i like about her the most.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I do tend to agree. I was really really surprised at Xyro's placing at Hobo 16 (the MK banned tourney; in before "that tourney doesn't matter!!1"). Not that Samus is amazing or anything.

Like I said earlier in the thread, ROB is close to what Samus could have been.
Not Many Samus players out thieir doing thier thing. It seems cause a character is not like how they use to be in melee, they don't wanna bother, so people just don't pay no mind to them. Like Shiek. In melee, OMG so many damm shieks. Now look at the population of shiek.

Samus Needs more players like Xyro to Set the foundation of her. But look at what I said above. And that sucks for the character (or any character in this case) To see what they can really do and how good they are.

Rhetorical, aren't we? :bee:
What do you mean?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What do you mean?
Your question isn't even a question anymore when used in DDD/Samus discussions, people just say "How does Samus far against DDD?" when they want to win, since smallstep CG hurts her so much... And they can stop before 300% to avoid stalling disqualifications (depending on what tourney they're in, of course, or if it's even a tourney at that).

So, rhetorical because no one can beat the real answer: Samus vs DDD = pretty much a bad matchup.

Dont worry, I wasn't offending you in any way, I was agreeing with your post. :ohwell:

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Your question isn't even a question anymore when used in DDD/Samus discussions, people just say "How does Samus far against DDD?" when they want to win, since smallstep CG hurts her so much... And they can stop before 300% to avoid stalling disqualifications (depending on what tourney they're in, of course, or if it's even a tourney at that).

So, rhetorical because no one can beat the real answer: Samus vs DDD = pretty much a bad matchup.

Dont worry, I wasn't offending you in any way, I was agreeing with your post. :ohwell:
Isn't the DDD Samus infinite similar to the Mario/Luigi one (you can break out by mashing until you get up towards kill percents)? I thought it was only a TRUE infinite on Bowser/DK/DDD?

It's still a disadvantage, though, I suppose. Easy kill move at ~100% OoS.

It seems like other than that, Samus should do OK against D3, but maybe I'm wrong. She seems like she'd space him well, and he's freakin huge, so hitting spaced Zairs shouldn't be that hard (I hate trying to hit Olimar/Squirtle with that move...). He does take FOREVER for her to kill, though, unless you land a good Dair offstage.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the huge crippling flaws (besides lack of killing ability)? Her roll sucks and her grab is slow as all getup, I guess. At least all of her aerials autocancel.
Lack of killing ability is pretty huge and a pretty big understatement; her killing ability is so bad that every opponent she fights is as survivable as she is, basically negating one of the best things about her. She's also generally very slow and weak with her projectile game (including the tether attack) not being nearly good enough at keeping people out to make up for how much she suffers once they get in. In general, Samus has a lot of mediocre to bad moves as well, meaning in almost every situation she's more limited than the other character (assuming the other character is a highly tiered character). Her completely terrible roll (worst in the game) certainly does her no favors, but she has a lot more fundamental problems. Really, you can just look at the list of "things that are good about Samus", and it's clear it's a lot shorter than the list for most characters. Also, King Dedede gets extra long chaingrabs on her (though only infinite if you are at high damage or poor at grab breaking); that's just another extra problem she has. For super fun trivia, did you know her pummel whiffs on Bowser? Yeah, really; poor Samus.

I don't think I've posted in this topic yet actually.

I really think Wario and Falco are going to be falling in the future. Wario's grab release problems are probably a lot more serious than we've been seeing so far; if people have major problems with him for much longer, they're going to start seeking out whichever character optimally infinites him while not failing at fighting him otherwise and play really defensively just going for the grab in a proper position which they'll then use for multiple minutes as they slowly rack him up to 300% before killing him, totally demoralizing the Wario players as well as getting a really decisive advantage in both clock running and the normal score.

With Falco, can't Pikachu chainthrow him to 90% or something? That's a character ruining flaw, though Falco in general just doesn't seem as good at general combat as the people around him (my perceptions here probably colored by the assumption of a liberal stage list where it's just too easy to put Falco on stages that are awful for him).

To jump to low tiers...

I just can't see Ike below Bowser. Both are generally slow with a lot of bad matchups, but Bowser has more than one "you had better counterpick" matchups (King Dedede and Ice Climbers). Ike has overall a much better spacing game due to his range, and his super jab combo is worth at least as much if not more than the fortress. Bowser does have his grab release shenanigans, but his overall sluggish set of grabs and his inability to force a ground break makes me dubious of those really saving him. Ike also has super armor on a few moves, which is not something Bowser can claim. Even the Bowser boards claim he has losing matchups against the entire top half of the cast and even after 29 matchup discussions have yet to claim an actual positive matchup; when the people you'd expect to overrate Bowser rate him that poorly, you have to wonder.

Ness is just really underrated; I think FOW vs Tyrant did a nice job of supporting my longstanding claim that Ness's overall set of tools are just a lot better than everyone even close to him on this tier list. He has a super good fair (like, almost G&W turtle good), an amazing set of throws including the top tierish bthrow (double points for his great dash grab and on average fastest set of grabs among the entire cast), generally great aerial mobility with five fast and good aerials, all around good range, all around good KO power... His recovery isn't even that bad; he has a fantastic double jump and generally moves quickly enough through the air that people can't physically get over to him to absorb the Pk Thunder before he's sure to make it back, and the way his aerials protect him so well and he maintains full aerial mobility in helpless fall state (unique to him and Lucas) means he's actually amazing at doing high recoveries. He does have the albatross of grab release, but just the list of positives alone is so much longer than what I could dream up for everyone even close to him right now. Ness is poorly represented at tournaments to say the least, but I think it's just a matter of time before it becomes clear to everyone that he needs to move up a lot.

Speaking of longer lists of positives, it's very hard to see Link below Captain Falcon when Link has so many more positives. Sure, his recovery is awful which basically just means poor survivability, but between his amazing projectile game and general disjointedness, Link can actually make himself a threat to good characters at least sometimes. I really don't see Captain Falcon ever doing that unless the person using him is just flat out better than his opponent. The more I've seen this game, I honestly have come to believe that Captain Falcon and Ganondorf need their own tier at the bottom; between the two is debatable, but both just seem a whole lot worse than everyone else with the best evidence being that no one really ever argues that either of them belong in the worst tier while every other character seems a lot more plausible for at least the second to lowest tier. Of course, this low on the tier list tournament data is going to be hard to come by so it's never going to be easy to back up, but from what I've seen out of my region that plays nearly everyone these two really are the biggest stinkers.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Zair is great for spacing... But for DDD's broken shield, powershielding her and resetting the spacing, then shieldgrabbing her doesn't take much effort on DDD's part. To succesfully zair-space DDD, Samus is going to have to do a lot of work (although it IS way safer than her close-combat options... Those DDD can easily take care of).

And yeah, she does have some problems killing DDD.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I was rooting for Fow and thought he'd take it all the way until SK92 grab released gayed him for two matches. Heh. Ness isn't good, even if he is good.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Damm she got it that Bad against Him? Thats crazy. And I never knew she could get that walking chaingrab. I have played some DDD Samus before. One thing I noticed is that You Have more ragne then he does. And you can send an army of projectiles at him..

He is a big Target and not very quick. So I took that into account and decided abuse this weakness would help me win. So I usually mix projectiles and Zairs to eat that shield. And I force him to approach me. Times I do go to him to start the pressure (her pressure game is really good). But I don't stay inside too much cause of his chain grab. When when need too, use my evasion and break away with Zairs and Missles. Also drop some bombs with my evasion.

I think Zairs Stop Waddle dees if I remember correctly. So She can use that. Also that move out ranges all of DDD Moves. I like to Space nairs alot. It really helps. I don't see too many Samus players using that move. its good. You can out camp DDD if I am not mistaken. His camping is slow and can leave him open. Dude to his size DDD can be pressured pretty wall. And I think Samus can abuse this on him.

Once that shield is eaten, DDD is mostly open for hits. And might have to start rolling alot of side steping to get close to you. Around this time I give him a wall of explosives to get to me and then I space my moves and Zair. Then go in and get my hits in. If I feel danger, I GTFO and start my evasion tatics. Then just repeat and try to win the match.

That's how I see it, don't kill me for this post Samus players.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Dark Pch, you seem to have a lot of terribly biased information based off of low level play, and/or friendlies.

You can't go around spouting match-up information until you can prove you back it up at tournaments. That's how it's always worked.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Dark Pch, you seem to have a lot of terribly biased information based off of low level play, and/or friendlies.

You can't go around spouting match-up information until you can prove you back it up at tournaments. That's how it's always worked.
I think you should cool it. I never said I was an expert at them or use thse characters like that. I'm talking from my point of view, and if people wanna correct me on it they can. Idc. I'm talking about from what I been through and seen. And Please stop assuming I always play at low level. You don't know who I have played or where I have been. Thank You.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I actually find it quite disheartening seeing as how the internet has no 'tone of voice', what people say can be understood in ten different ways. Dark.Pch keeps getting replied to, but most of what people say sounds like trolling, even if it's not meant to sound that way.

People should word their replies better and be aware of the internet's tone. Shorter is never better when writing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ampharos, i disagree with your summation of wario, characters that have strong GR options against him can hurt him but using those characters (DDD, Marth, Snake) defensively I think is entirely the wrong way to go and as a matter of fact I think that plays into many wario actual gameplans. The wario is entirely capable of using his ******** airspeed to weave in and out of range with aerials and never putting himself in a position to get grabbed. Not only that, but in that situation it is monumentally harder for the opposing character to get a grab in than it is for the wario to tack on small amounts of % until he can jsut kill you with a fart at 60. and if the opponent is defensive, than the match will drag on, and the longer the match takes the more farts wario gets

also, i agree with kewkkys post above me

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
@ampharos, i disagree with your summation of wario, characters that have strong GR options against him can hurt him but using those characters (DDD, Marth, Snake) defensively I think is entirely the wrong way to go and as a matter of fact I think that plays into many wario actual gameplans. The wario is entirely capable of using his ******** airspeed to weave in and out of range with aerials and never putting himself in a position to get grabbed. Not only that, but in that situation it is monumentally harder for the opposing character to get a grab in than it is for the wario to tack on small amounts of % until he can jsut kill you with a fart at 60. and if the opponent is defensive, than the match will drag on, and the longer the match takes the more farts wario gets

also, i agree with kewkkys post above me
Agreed. And even a grab or two every match won't ruin Wario, he's just there playing pseudo-defensively, racking up damage slowly, waiting out the timer until it's time to make some action, then kill with a normal kill move OR a surprise waft (killing way earlier than any other attack, and WAY more unexpected too). His game is seriously too good to be affected by just a grab release issue.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I actually find it quite disheartening seeing as how the internet has no 'tone of voice', what people say can be understood in ten different ways. Dark.Pch keeps getting replied to, but most of what people say sounds like trolling, even if it's not meant to sound that way.

People should word their replies better and be aware of the internet's tone. Shorter is never better when writing.
Well, for me it doesn't make much difference, since I have pretty much exactly the same tone of voice all the time, and thus I have to be extra careful of what I say. And that pays off when it comes to the internet. Of course, people could always just say something like /rant or /sarcasm to get their poitn across.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I just can't see Ike below Bowser. Both are generally slow with a lot of bad matchups, but Bowser has more than one "you had better counterpick" matchups (King Dedede and Ice Climbers). Ike has overall a much better spacing game due to his range, and his super jab combo is worth at least as much if not more than the fortress. Bowser does have his grab release shenanigans, but his overall sluggish set of grabs and his inability to force a ground break makes me dubious of those really saving him. Ike also has super armor on a few moves, which is not something Bowser can claim. Even the Bowser boards claim he has losing matchups against the entire top half of the cast and even after 29 matchup discussions have yet to claim an actual positive matchup; when the people you'd expect to overrate Bowser rate him that poorly, you have to wonder.
Marked the wrong things about Bowser with Red.
Also, mind you, all of these matchups are slight disadvantages.

That is all.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
This thread got me to play samus. I freaking love her. I'm gonna practice with her today and then use her 2morow at this smashfest. I'll recorded. To me this character is on some ****.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Fortress = best OOS option in the game.

Ike's jabs = good CQC, made especially important for Ike because his close quarters game is nonexistent without it.

Fortress is of top tier quality. Ike's jabs aren't even best in the game. They're just good.

.Marik

is a social misfit
This thread got me to play samus. I freaking love her. I'm gonna practice with her today and then use her 2morow at this smashfest. I'll recorded. To me this character is on some ****.
She's fun and fancy as hell, just don't go in there thinking Samus is an unbeatable, underrated character that you're going to place extremely well with.

You need to be somewhere near Xyro's level to even be successful with Samus.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
She's fun and fancy as hell, just don't go in there thinking Samus is an unbeatable, underrated character that you're going to place extremely well with.

You need to be somewhere near Xyro's level to even be successful with Samus.
I am done with tournies remember? and i don't think I would be like Xyro. Peach is my strongest point in this game. But with all the stuff I am just tossing out there with her and some mindgames, this character is freaking fun. I love edgeguarding with her.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought people said that Jigglypuff has a decent matchup against Meta Knight.
She's got a lot stuff she can do if the Metaknight doesn't space well. But if he camps with spaced fairs and uses a lot of upb out of shield, it can really be quite hard to get in on him to do some damage. It's similar to the Wario-MK matchup in that regard, I think.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I am done with tournies remember? and i don't think I would be like Xyro.
You said Smashfest, so I was only assuming...

Smashfest=Tournament/Casual.

And at Casuals, they usually host Tournaments of some sort anyways. Just smaller ones.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I am done with tournies remember? and i don't think I would be like Xyro. Peach is my strongest point in this game. But with all the stuff I am just tossing out there with her and some mindgames, this character is freaking fun. I love edgeguarding with her.
I'm in the same boat as you, I have a buttload of fun using Samus! She's definitely my low tier main, followed by Jigglypuff. I hated her at first seeing as how she got nerfed gruesomely, but i got used to it and now love her here anyways.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It still bothers me how the tier list is based on how characters fair against Meta Knight.
That sort of happens when you have a completely metagame defining character.

Fortress = best OOS option in the game.

Ike's jabs = good CQC, made especially important for Ike because his close quarters game is nonexistent without it.

Fortress is of top tier quality. Ike's jabs aren't even best in the game. They're just good.
Actually, Ike's Jab is amazing, but Bowser's Fortress is just that much more amazing.

Even if Ike had the best jab in the game (which is possible, I haven't had a chance to do a direct comparison with Falco's grab yet), Fortress has properties which make it far more useful then any jab in the game, hands down.

So, you're right about fortress>Ike's jab, you just underrate Ike's jab.

I'm in the same boat as you, I have a buttload of fun using Samus! She's definitely my low tier main, followed by Jigglypuff. I hated her at first seeing as how she got nerfed gruesomely, but i got used to it and now love her here anyways.
Same with me and Ganondorf.

Beat that.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
That's how it felt with Peach when i first touched her in brawl with her nerfs. But I did not let it bother me. I just worked with what I had and not waste time crying about {each's nerfs like the others did and quit her.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Same with me and Ganondorf.

Beat that.
I was using Kirby in Melee as my tertiary, because I refused to abandon him when he was my main in SSB64 (i used him because I like Kirby games. Don't judge me!).

Pfft, that's not even close to Ganondorf in Brawl right now, thanks to the tierlist! You win this time... :embarrass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom